CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This leaves me confused lol. Shouldn't it be the other way round?

It should, but thats the point. Even though im an australian whose always been at the disadvantage, i still enjoyed the way the BR played. It wasnt great online, but it wouldve been amazing on LAN. I'm sure if the netcode was actually good, people wouldnt hate it so much.

It should, but thats the point. Even though im an australian whose always been at the disadvantage, i still enjoyed the way the BR played. It wasnt great online, but it wouldve been amazing on LAN. I'm sure if the netcode was actually good, people wouldnt hate it so much.

I'm fully confident in believing the h3 netcode is not the issue players who ccampaign against the br are actually having...

I'm fully confident in believing the h3 netcode is not the issue players who ccampaign against the br are actually having...

What is it then? the spread?

I feel like you should be able to boost out of the way of a sword lunge if timed correctly. Sprint combined with a sword is pretty ridiculous.

• Upvote (+1) 1

slow gameplay in close games =/= slow gameplay in general.

Its like comparing a 0-0 football match with a 4-3 match where the winning goal was kicked in the 90", you cant compare them.

A faster game allows for more drastic leads since mistakes are punished harder and cascading advantages are more prominent.

It's like the bald dude in Zola's documentary said, 'Getting dominated in halo 3 results in a score of 50-35, getting dominated in halo 1 results in a score of 50-0."

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh I see what you're saying. I thought you were saying not getting host made your shots register more. Apart from the spread, I like Halo 3's BR too. It felt right to me.

Well, you just don't use the br at long range in most cases. Which doesn't affect the game because players playing halo 3 properly just don't bother engaging a target at long range unless they are already weak

That is the effect.

Playing around the limitations on an individual, that being playing more slowly and clustering with your team more, is the effect that the h3 BR has on gameplay.

Halo started being shit at halo 3, not halo reach.

I'd take the Halo 3 BR over sprint and thruster any day and I hated the Halo 3 BR. 

Seriously, Halo 3 was frustrating as all fuck but it was still fun. Halo 5 is just frustrating to play over all.

I also agree with the auto's on strong hold, it's at it's worst on turbine when playing on empire imo.

I feel like you should be able to boost out of the way of a sword lunge if timed correctly. Sprint combined with a sword is pretty ridiculous.

I jump and thrust over their head, seems to work.

The random shot registration netcode, the random BR spread, the long kill time, and the lack of range.

halo 5 BR has a the longest range of all of them, but has the slowest gameplay, so...

It's not the longest range we've had for a utility weapon, that award goes to the CE pistol.

The weapon's increased range and kill time is canceled out by h5's defensive movement options. So it's slow just like halo 3.

It's not slander if it's all true.

So it sounds like you prefer h5 over h3?

I'm curious.

So it sounds like you prefer h5 over h3?

I'm curious.

I hate em equally. H3 and on has all been a shadow of what halo once was.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Who gives a flying F about "slow" gameplay? Halo Reach...Halo 4...Halo 5 are all trash compared to H1-3, but by no means is the gameplay "slower." These games have sprint for crying out loud...how is that slower?

Comparing the Halo 3 BR to the gimmicky effects such as sprint, thrusting, and armor lock really is unrational. There isn't a comparison in terms of which is worse for gameplay. Okay...we get it, Halo 3 BR had terrible net code and it was difficult to shoot someone at long range. Occasionally you might have someone one shot that was able to escape around a corner because your shots didn't land, but these situations were few and far between compared to those in Reach, 4, and 5 where players were are able to just sprint, thrust, or amor lock their way to safety. 

At least in Halo 3 you could perhaps attempt to chase them down, or maneuver a well designed symmetrical map to out smart their escape...or you just had a good team shot (why this part of Halo is being attacked in this thread is mind boggling but I digress). In Reach, 4, or 5, players just sprint mindlessly with very little risk of punishment for poor map movements because players are able to escape even the worst possible scenarios. I'll take a "crappy net coded BR" that still allowed me to consistently 4-5 shot vs. a marathon sprint race.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 5 isn't a Halo game.  Seems silly to compare it to one.

You can be hipster about Halo 3 all you want but it was still a traditional Halo game.  Everything since has been an entirely different series of mainstream FPS amalgamations with no identity that frankly aren't worth acknowledging.  Horrid abortions comprised of whatever the big FPS games were that year.

Who gives a flying F about "slow" gameplay? Halo Reach...Halo 4...Halo 5 are all trash compared to H1-3, but by no means is the gameplay "slower." These games have sprint for crying out loud...how is that slower?

See, on the outside, people think Sprint speeds up the game, but it does quite the opposite, assuming you're talking about competent players and not players who have picked up the controller for the first time.

When you have a mechanic like Sprint, in a game like Halo with shields, you can Sprint away from battle 9/10 times as long as you're not in the complete open. This means that kills/deaths are much longer because every player is trying to get out of battle using Sprint if they're losing the fight. 

Take away Sprint, and suddenly, a lot more players are getting punished for bad positioning or movement due to the inability to simply Sprint away back to safety.

Simply put, Sprint prolongs deaths by a big margin and in turn makes the game player slower, not faster.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Halo 5 isn't a Halo game. Seems silly to compare it to one.

You can be hipster about Halo 3 all you want but it was still a traditional Halo game. Everything since has been an entirely different series of mainstream FPS amalgamations with no identity that frankly aren't worth acknowledging. Horrid abortions comprised of whatever the big FPS games were that year.

If Halo 3 was a traditional Halo game, then fuck traditional Halo. If that's what all of you are using as a metric for what makes a "traditional" Halo game, then I welcome any and all changes 343 makes to it.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 7

Thoughtful response.

Ditto.

Sprint slows the game down because it's a defensive option. It prolongs encounters and makes gun fights last longer since it discourages gunplay. You can't shoot while using it, so it has no potential to be used offensively.

See, on the outside, people think Sprint speeds up the game, but it does quite the opposite, assuming you're talking about competent players and not players who have picked up the controller for the first time.

When you have a mechanic like Sprint, in a game like Halo with shields, you can Sprint away from battle 9/10 times as long as you're not in the complete open. This means that kills/deaths are much longer because every player is trying to get out of battle using Sprint if they're losing the fight. 

Take away Sprint, and suddenly, a lot more players are getting punished for bad positioning or movement due to the inability to simple Sprint away back to safety.

Simply put, Sprint prolongs deaths by a big margin and in turn makes the game player slower, not faster.

I understand the concept of Sprint and it's effects on gameplay. I'm very much so anti sprint. 

Point is matchmaking games are much quicker...so the comment that sprint "slows" gameplay doesn't make sense to me. I haven't timed my matches, but it feels like my matches are ending much quicker than H2 or H3 games...of course depending on the map. Slayer on Warlock is obviously going to go buy very quickly.

If someone makes the comment that "sprint sucks and isn't good for Halo..." that I can buy.

I understand the concept of Sprint and it's effects on gameplay. I'm very much so anti sprint. 

Point is matchmaking games are much quicker...so the comment that sprint "slows" gameplay doesn't make sense to me. I haven't timed my matches, but it feels like my matches are ending much quicker than H2 or H3 games...of course depending on the map. Slayer on Warlock is obviously going to go buy very quickly.

If someone makes the comment that "sprint sucks and isn't good for Halo..." that I can buy.

Imagine a BR battle in H2 or H3. Now imagine one in H5. Sprint and TP prolong the shit out of engagements.

If Halo 3 was a traditional Halo game, then fuck traditional Halo. If that's what all of you are using as a metric for what makes a "traditional" Halo game, then I welcome any and all changes 343 makes to it.

Uh oh.

Dude's I can't deal with these search times anymore and constantly having to back out (even though in the beta they rarely let you do this, you have to wait for an error) and quitting the build. 

All this talk about the game at its core being broken, and the biggest problem of all is that 343 can't even get something as simple as matching players correctly and getting quick matches. 

It's simply mind boggling.