CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I sure have.

I also recall tuning into h3 streams while Puckett was casting and him saying "ogre 2 puts a sniper shot into...oh wait, looks like that shot don't register."

Remember that?

Yeah, but bloodshots weren't slowing down gameplay- they would happen once or twice a series. 

Ill agree with to an extent- To win in h3, you had to teamshoot no doubt about it and compared to the previous halos at the time (h1 and h2), H3 defiantly played the slowest.

The BR was the main reason because you could not effectively kill someone from range, but to put it on the same level of h5 with the "abort buttons" is not true.

In h3 from mid range(green to green on the pit) you could kill someone the first encounter.

In h5, it takes a minimum of 2 engagements to kill someone from mid range- Players know they can thrust to safety. 

Just as slow.

Then you either don't remember what halo 3 was like, or you don't know how much sprint and whatever else slows down gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dislike H3 and I hate the H3 BR, but it does it can take more skill than its other iterations. With spread and terrible netcode, an extremely well-centred and accurate aim will be rewarded. It's at least an alternative experience, even though, overall, it's bad for competitive. I think a small amount of spread might be called for on a single-shot precision weapon. Maybe.

As bad as the BR was, there is no fucking way it slows the game down as much as sprint. You want proof? Every non-Pit TS game from MLG tournaments. You honestly believe that they are slower paced than Halo games with sprint?

Guardian Slayer, Construct Slayer, Narrows Slayer. Basically every slayer that wasn't Amplified was super slow because it turned into standoffs in close games. Thats the nature of TS though. 

@@Stephander

Compare: 

to:

Why is it that gameplay is so much slower in the second video if all that a weak utility weapon does is change play style? Why is it that gameplay is so much faster in the first video even though there are half as many players compared to the second video? 

Let's also not forget about this:

Guardian Slayer, Construct Slayer, Narrows Slayer. Basically every slayer that wasn't Amplified was super slow because it turned into standoffs in close games. Thats the nature of TS though.

Never said it wasn't slow. But to say it's just as slow as Halo 5 is with sprint and thruster is flat out wrong.

I dislike H3 and I hate the H3 BR, but it does it can take more skill than its other iterations

overall, it's bad for competitive

I can't wrap my head around this quote.

Never said it wasn't slow. But to say it's just as slow as Halo 5 is with sprint and thruster is flat out wrong.

Then you should probably go back and check out some old VOD from 2010

slow gameplay in close games =/= slow gameplay in general.

Its like comparing a 0-0 football match with a 4-3 match where the winning goal was kicked in the 90", you cant compare them.

I can't wrap my head around this quote.

It ruins competitive gameplay for reasons I shouldn't have to explain, but aiming skill is (sometimes) higher. Specifically, at close-range. At long-range, it's obviously total rng.

So even though that forge map sucks, I really think that the pieces they have shown hold promise. The map doesn't lag and it actually looks decent. Sure it's all gray, but forge has always had that problem. It would be nice if they created a few different colors for each piece, but they seem unable or unwilling to do so.

Being able to label areas in forge maps is a great addition. Not to mention that the weapons and spartan callouts work exactly the same as in the "real" maps.

Forge is probably the thing I'm most excited about to see in Halo 5 now. I have a feeling that the Campaign and forge will be great but the rest of the game will be garbage.

Where do you guys think the H5 BR stacks up to the primary starting weapons we've had so far?

For me it's:

1. CE Pistol: Perfect - Hard to master, fast perfect kill time, shoots straight 

2. ZBNS DMR: Great - Wish it was 4-shot though 

3. Halo 5 BR: Great - Love that the spread is so tight but wish it was a little harder to use

4. Halo 2 BR: Good - Little to easy to use

5. Halo 4 BR: Meh - To easy to use

6. Halo 2A BR: Bad - Way to easy to use, makes battles so boring

7. Halo 3 BR: Terrible - RNG=Bad

8. Halo Reach: DMR: AIDS - Kill me now 

343 are literally the most stubborn devs ever. The majority of every Halo community hates sprint and they refuse to take it out for some reason. If sprint makes it in the final game its obvious that they don't care about the Halo Community.

Are they stubborn? Yes.

Is it possible that they can't take sprint out right now? Absolutely. 

If the development of the game exists around the idea of sprint, then everything developed - maps, etc. - would have been developed around sprint. Judging by how set on sprint they are, and have been, it's completely possible that they just can't remove it at this point. Removing it, from a development standpoint (time and such) could prove to do more harm than good. 

Could they give us customizable options to remove it, or turn it off? Probably. This is was more likely and plausible given the current state of development. 

Will they do that? Probably not.

How is that style of play just as fast as being able to attack at any point on the map?

Well, you just don't use the br at long range in most cases. Which doesn't affect the game because players playing halo 3 properly just don't bother engaging a target at long range unless they are already weak, especially in mlg. So apart from your range where you can kill someone and make sure they can't get away being shorter in h3, it still plays similar to the halo's before it. I believe it is a total fallacy to say it slows down the game as much or even in a similar way that armour abilities do.

E.g. someone near cover in h3 won't get away if you get them down shots unaware because obviously there is no sprint/thruster. The oonly way they can get away is if you tried shooting them from too far away since the br isn't as effective/shoots slower or if they have a teammate around the corner which applies to any halo.

Don't get me wrong I prefer/enjoy h1/2 style of play, where the individual is more powerful mainly due to the more effective utility weapons in those games. I just think the arguments commonly seen on this site against h3s br being useless/random/as bad as armour abilities is hyperbole.

Edit: to add, anytime you see pros shooting a target at long range, it is purely to gain ground/ push them back, also since they are a fully organised team, I imagine if they start an engagement outside of the 3brs effective kill range- they are probably only doing so because they know a teammate is in range/los to finish them off.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How is that style of play just as fast as being able to attack at any point on the map?

halo 5 BR has a the longest range of all of them, but has the slowest gameplay, so...
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Played quite a bit last night and enjoyed the beta. The rockets blast radius is horrendous though. Sprint is sprint but after playing H2A I actually didn't even use it once. Thrust is fine for me. I used it more offensively than defensively and didn't have too many issues with opponents using it as a "get out of jail free" card. I like how tight the BR is. Truth is just ridiculously big. It needs to be scaled down. I felt as if I was running laps sound the map before finding the enemy team. I'll have more input with my post time.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Where do you guys think the H5 BR stacks up to the primary starting weapons we've had so far?

For me it's:

1. CE Pistol: Perfect - Hard to master, fast perfect kill time, shoots straight 

2. ZBNS DMR: Great - Wish it was 4-shot though 

3. Halo 5 BR: Great - Love that the spread is so tight but wish it was a little harder to use

4. Halo 2 BR: Good - Little to easy to use

5. Halo 4 BR: Meh - To easy to use

6. Halo 2A BR: Bad - Way to easy to use, makes battles so boring

7. Halo 3 BR: Terrible - RNG=Bad

8. Halo Reach: DMR: AIDS - Kill me now 

H5 BR spread is fairly tight when shooting straight but when you sweep, you can see the 3 separate bullets. It'd be great if they tightened it even more. I agree with your rankings, though.

As someone who never had host, I liked the h3 BR

This leaves me confused lol. Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Played quite a bit last night and enjoyed the beta. The rockets blast radius is horrendous though. Sprint is sprint but after playing H2A I actually didn't even use it once. Thrust is fine for me. I used it more offensively than defensively and didn't have too many issues with opponents using it as a "get out of jail free" card. I like how tight the BR is. Truth is just ridiculously big. It needs to be scaled down. I felt as if I was running laps sound the map before finding the enemy team. I'll have more input with my post time.

:walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why are my teammates always so bad? It's either that or it's like they're all playing their first actual game of the Beta... so they're pretty much still bad lol.

I just want my Onyx rank by the end of this thing... being placed Silver was borderline criminal! :P

I know 7 people that bought a box just for MCC. 3 have bothered to play the beta after seeing it. No one liked it. That doesn't look good for H5 sales.

But then again we are all halo fans older than 25 we were never the target market so who knows.

I know 7 people that bought a box just for MCC. 3 have bothered to play the beta after seeing it. No one liked it. That doesn't look good for H5 sales.

But then again we are all halo fans older than 25 we were never the target market so who knows.

Yeah I have played the beta for about 5 hours, and I currently have no intention to play it anymore. My brother hasn't even bothered to play it yet, and our mutual friend played it for an hour and shut it off. But it's like you said, all three of us are clearly not part of H5's target market. Right now i think this game is going to have similar "success" as Halo 4 did; it will sell a lot of copies, but there aren't going to be many people playing it after a few months.