CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

But will a younger casual audience catch on to a game like halo 1 these days? Surely there wouldn't be enough blinky lights and lense flares...

We need them to play the game why? They might buy the game but will just move on to the next CoD anyways. And yes, a super competitive game can still appeal to the casuals. CS:GO has so many casuals playing it isn't even funny. Far more than CoD on PC. 

With Josh Holmes saying Forge will have numerous terrain sheets (after discussing Pegasus and Orion), do you guys think that basically confirms Forge won't have terrain editing? It would seem pointless to include terrain sheets if terrain editing was there, wouldn't it?

I was really hoping for Forge to have that feature. It would actually be an agreeable innovation for Halo.

One thing I noticed about Forge maps is that they have call tags above the radar like default maps, so spartan chatter remains useful on it.

I'd much rather have the ability to set up zone objects with custom names in Forge, so I can release a map I made with the callouts already clearly defined and specific to my map, and not generic, static, environment-based (not map design-based) ones like we saw in Forge World in Reach

But that's just me.

I don't know. What we know is that they played Halo 4 for two weeks and then moved on. 343 shouldn't be catering to a younger casual audience, the game will sell millions of copies regardless of how good or bad the gameplay is (because of these 4 letters on the cover).

It's not about sales though is it, that's not the point, we need a causal AUDIENCE, and VIEWERS to fuel the competitive seen. Otherwise the twitch chat will stay at 6-10k full of cancerous cry babies. We want the casuals to get hooked on the competitive experience.

To be fair, it's the weapon skin system and open market that keep casuals hooked on CS:GO like addicts.

totally, more unlockables can only be a good thing, just not crazy grind nonsense like the dirt they put in for stances.

It's not about sales though is it, that's not the point, we need a causal AUDIENCE, and VIEWERS to fuel the competitive seen. Otherwise the twitch chat will stay at 6-10k full of cancerous cry babies. We want the casuals to get hooked on the competitive experience.

If the game is actually competitive, aka no sprint, then they will watch. People want to watch people play who are at such a high skill level they will never get to. See: CS:GO and LoL. Watching pros sprint around and only being marginally better than most people isn't fun for anyone. Niehter is seeing battles taking forever because thruster and sprint. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Which competitive scene? Bungie and 343 killed the competitive scene lol. Halo has that few viewers on twitch because the last games were absolutely shit.

I would have joined if it wasn't restricted to US citizens currently. Hope they open it up internationally soon...

then make the game competitive instead of a fucking running simulator. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think vertical map design is one of the biggest things Halo is lacking. A higher base speed without sprint would solve a lot of problems. Toss in additional jump height and it creates more challenging 1v1 fights because it's not limited to two axis.

The extra movement options with thruster and clamber aren't bad for halo. In fact, id argue they are necessary for the evolution of Halo. They just need to be slightly repurposed. Clamber itself isn't necessary, but allow something similar like a wall jump (but only 1 wall jump, not back and forth between them) that could be done from any position. Meaning running backwards, or strafing. This would allow for so much more options with vertical level design, as well as add depth to a battle.

Mobility is important, but vertical mobility in particular is what is necessary to drive Halo forward, increase the skill gap, and allow for sick plays (that are more than no scopes).

• Upvote (+1) 3

The feedback servery will only let you complain about one thing in the game. Way to manipulate the numbers. 

Why did I decide to try out the new mode? AR spam and people escaping all over the place. 

The frame drops are beyond bad in this as well. 720p for fucks sake. So sad. 

With Josh Holmes saying Forge will have numerous terrain sheets (after discussing Pegasus and Orion), do you guys think that basically confirms Forge won't have terrain editing? It would seem pointless to include terrain sheets if terrain editing was there, wouldn't it?

I was really hoping for Forge to have that feature. It would actually be an agreeable innovation for Halo.

Think you're hoping for too much.

The terrain itself of Pegasus is pretty large and beautiful though.

C'mon, it's way better than default Reach TS. Definitely better than H2 SMG starts and H3 AR starts too. If Team Slayer in H5 always spawns you with a decent weapon then between that and the static timers I think even the terribleness of sprint doesn't lower it below those horrendous experiences.

• Upvote (+1) 4

C'mon, it's way better than default Reach TS. Definitely better than H2 SMG starts and H3 AR starts too. If Team Slayer in H5 always spawns you with a decent weapon then between that and the static timers I think even the terribleness of sprint doesn't lower it below those horrendous experiences.

I agree. But lots of people like to hop on the hate train. Is it perfect, no it's not. But there are a lot of good things about H5 that people love to ignore.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I disagree. H2 and H3 at least had some decent maps. I know we haven't seen all H5's maps, but based on previous games that have included sprint, I'm expecting them to be terrible, like the ones we've already seen.

• Upvote (+1) 3

eVyum7B.jpg

With that said I am VERY surprised that the survey was a real survey, there wasn't one cupcake question

Halo 5: guns good, sprint bad

A little bit of faith has been restored

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why would you compare SMG starts in H2 and H3 with BR starts in H5?

Also, SMG starts are bad for completely different reasons than e.g. sprint.

But I do agree that H5 is at least better than Default Reach (but that's like saying something smells better than a pile of donkey shit - not very hard).

This is the least fun I've had with Halo, ever. Including Reach beta. The gunplay is good but ruined with thruster and sprint. I am so pissed right now after those two Domination games. AR spammed over and over again with teamshot being the only viable option. 

The frame drops are also rage inducing. They are there, get your eyes checked if you say otherwise. 

• Upvote (+1) 4