CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I thought the Halo 4 AR was fine. The deal breaker in H5 is the headshot multiplier and 0 spread when scoped in. If not for that, I wouldn't mind too much.

As for cleaning up with a headshot weapon... that's how it was intended by design. In case people haven't noticed, the pistol has the fastest draw speed of all weapons. That's why AR + pistol is better than AR + BR, and also why the weapons must be balanced in consequence.

If it were up to me, I'd make the AR a 0 spread weapon, add recoil to it, remove the headshot multiplier, and make it a map pick-up instead of the SMG. Players would instead spawn with SMGs nerfed by 2-3 bullets to kill, and tighter spread on it, along with a pistol to clean up kills with.

I agree with your proposals except for making the spread on SMG tighter. Nerf SMG by about 5% or so, keep spread as is, no headshot bonus or tightened spread while scoped/ADS.

AR should also have no scoping bonus, no headshot bonus, and leave damage as is with a bit of recoil and slightly less magnetism.

Magnum should honestly be buffed a bit though. Not much, but a slight increase.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just SMH every-time I see a Halo player/pro go, "Halo is dead and H5 is Halo: Advanced Spartan Warfare. At least in CoD they have a working game with a community/comp support." Yea, dont buy H5 then buy the new CoD/BF(The influence that KILLED your series)! That'll really show those big soul-sucking corporations to quit shitting on comp gamers.

Going from present day Halo to CoD, is like going from the run-down Burger King that is closing because it cant compete to the McDonald's across the street. Comp Console gaming really is dead outside of CoD which nobody really respects any-ways because its a yearly released cash grab and the scene resembles high-school relationships as its pertains to teams sticking together/breaking up, time to join the Masterrace I say and just hope for a miracle with Halo.

It was time to jump ship years ago.  Halo 3 was the last time anything even remotely resembling Halo was being played and it was the last time there was any FPS worth the slightest bit of a damn on consoles.  It's been about 5 years of pure disappointment.

Join the master race.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It was time to jump ship years ago. Halo 3 was the last time anything even remotely resembling Halo was being played and it was the last time there was any FPS worth the slightest bit of a damn on consoles. It's been about 5 years of pure disappointment.

Join the master race.

Not for nothing, but that Burger King metaphor of his was just awful, lol.

Do you realize that this entire line of logic is the reason you can't convince 343 to remove to sprint

The entire "holding power positions" meta is boring as fuck to watch and even more boring to play

MS/343 is clearly trying to get itself on the esports hype train but it's never ever going to work if your game has the tempo of a golf match

Have you ever stopped and watched some H2A tournament gameplay and asked yourself if maybe it's way too easy to hold down a defensive position on the map?

If the most complex design workable in your fps is "shooty open box with basically no walls and only 2 floors" is the only map design that can work for your game there's something extremely wrong with your game

Halo 5 already has the tempo of a golf match because the maps are fuckhuge and people can sprint (and now thrust) away from battle. This game is fucking slow and will be boring as piss to watch.

I agree with your proposals except for making the spread on SMG tighter. Nerf SMG by about 5% or so, keep spread as is, no headshot bonus or tightened spread while scoped/ADS.

AR should also have no scoping bonus, no headshot bonus, and leave damage as is with a bit of recoil and slightly less magnetism.

Magnum should honestly be buffed a bit though. Not much, but a slight increase.

Ideally, you want as little spread as possible, and any bullet deviation on automatics should come from a predictable / controlled and skillful if possible factor.

It's the only reason I want to see spread gone for recoil instead, but whatever will work I guess.

Ideally, you want as little spread as possible, and any bullet deviation on automatics should come from a predictable / controlled and skillful if possible factor.

It's the only reason I want to see spread gone for recoil instead, but whatever will work I guess.

True (about spread being random) but I still believe zero spread, even when replaced with recoil, would I think be disastrous from a skill-gap perspective. Because it's fairly easy to learn to adjust for recoil only, thereby making the automatics even easier to use at close/mid range compared to that of a BR.

I'd obviously have to test certain adjustments and conditions in real-time, as many things tend to sound good and make sense on paper, but then fall apart with regards to practical application.

I wish Halo 5's beta was open source lol.

Has anyone suggested bringing back the Halo 1 health system and health packs?

If we have to live with sprint, it would at least be nice if players that almost died were punished for their mistakes and forced to find a health pack before popping their heads out to take pot shots again.

Mmmmmm not technically correct.

While input lag plays the more significantly detrimental role of the two, response time is also a HUGE factor once you start getting into the double-digits.

And quite often, the higher the response time for a TV is, the higher the input lag is in correlation. So really, they both are important to keep in mind.

thats true, but most modern TVs dont have detrimental response times. Its super common for tv's to have <5 response times now, but input lag is still pretty damn variable (especially with the lack of reliable input lag mesurements, which the tv companies dont actually provide.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you want to compare TTK with Halo 4 after the TU, I made an infography back in 2013 :

https://www.behance.net/gallery/Halo-4-TU-infography/15251521

We all know how what is going to happen : good sells > population decreased by 90% after Christmas.

Keep in mind that the beta is supposed to be about the competitive settings, I don't want to know what their **** "Infinity" playlists will look like. I strongly believe there will still be loadouts and ordnance drops and all the #immersive bullshit that came with Halo 4.

Watched Roy for 5minutes before going to sleep, this was an awful thruster fest everytime a shot was beeing fired or a nade beeing thrown.

I'm waiting to see what the other part of multiplayer will look like, I think I will have a good laugh.

thats true, but most modern TVs dont have detrimental response times. Its super common for tv's to have <5 response times now, but input lag is still pretty damn variable (especially with the lack of reliable input lag mesurements, which the tv companies dont actually provide.)

True, except you have to consider:

1) Most people don't have the most up-to-date or recent TV model out on the market; on average, people who own HDTVs likely have a model that is at least a few years old, if not more. This is likely especially true for most "casual" gamers, I suspect.

...and,

2) Modern TVs may have the capability of 5ms response time or less, but that is usually only under the minimal picture quality & features (eg. with most or all of the image-enhancing and post-processing features turned off, and/or "Game Mode" turned on if the model even includes the freature). Things like "MotionPlus" from Samsung or "True Motion" from Sony (I believe that's what it's called, anyway) use a significant amount of the TV's processing power and thus can delay response time from the "best-case scenario" of 5ms up to as high as 200ms or more.

When you consider both of these things, it's likely that most casual gamers are not playing on a television or display with lower than, if I had to guess, probably 100ms response time and likely a very significant amount of input lag. Either because they don't care, or (more likely) they just don't know any better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No sprint. Gameplay is incredibly fast and exciting to watch. No stalemates. Constant map movement.

The problem in Halo 2 wasn't no sprint. The problem in Halo 2 is the lack of powerups and power weapons on the map combined with the weapon spawn system.

On Lockout a good team could just sit on the sniper tower forever. Sure, BR tower was the more effective setup, but sniper tower wasn't too hard to hold either and the sniper would just keep on spawning there. The only other weapon on the map was the sword which was in an awkward spot and one player could easily just watch it to make sure no one got it.

On top of this, the sniper rifle wouldn't respawn until the ammo was depleted and the gun was dropped. If a team held onto the sniper rifle and lost control, they could just hold onto the sniper rifle until they regained control to keep it from the enemy hands.

This is what really screwed over Halo 2. The Camo and OS spawning after pickup wasn't too much of a problem as generally they'd be picked up shortly after they spawned and both teams had an equal chance at getting them back provided they had a decent idea of when it was picked up.

I know all that

I repeatedly pushed 2 min rockets and 1:30 2 clip snipers in MLG

The problem I have here is people keep saying we need to remove sprint because of [reason that 343 is clearly deliberately attempting to change] and then they wonder why 343 is ignoring them

I do not see how a map like Sanc can possibly stalemate with the H5 movement mechanics

The guy I originally applied to is like oh no, my setups are useless, when in reality I must ask why standing around doing nothing should be rewarded

If the enemy is attempting to break into you then the game should require you to rotate your positions into a new arrangement that will destroy what the opponent is doing, back and forth, back and forth, all game long

Both movement mechanics and weapon timers are valid solutions to the same problem. In fact, I'd be happier with the game if we got both at the same time.

Watched Roy for 5minutes before going to sleep, this was an awful thruster fest everytime a shot was beeing fired or a nade beeing thrown.

I'm waiting to see what the other part of multiplayer will look like, I think I will have a good laugh.

I put Victory's stream on for 1 minute and watched him thruster to safety 5 times. :bravo:

Right now sprint slowdown only works if the player JUST started their sprint; shooting a player who has reached terminal velocity doesn't do anything to slow them down. It might as well not be there at all.

I think if sprint is going to be in the game, sprint slowdown needs to work at ALL times. Hell, if I had it my way, players would be forced to stop sprinting as soon as they're shot. Just imagine the amusement of watching Spartans repeatedly enter and exit the sprint animation as you're gunning them down.

2) Modern TVs may have the capability of 5ms response time or less, but that is usually only under the minimal picture quality & features (eg. with most or all of the image-enhancing and post-processing features turned off, and/or "Game Mode" turned on if the model even includes the freature). Things like "MotionPlus" from Samsung or "True Motion" from Sony (I believe that's what it's called, anyway) use a significant amount of the TV's processing power and thus can delay response time from the "best-case scenario" of 5ms up to as high as 200ms or more.

Since we pretty much have the same monitor, what mode do you play on. I usually play on theater or scenery just because the colours look so damn good and I don't notice a difference between game mode.

Since we pretty much have the same monitor, what mode do you play on. I usually play on theater or scenery just because the colours look so damn good and I don't notice a difference between game mode.

I start on "Theater" and make my own adjustments thereafter. It freaked me out at first when "TraceFree" was turned on and up all the way, and I kept seeing multi-coloured pixelations all over the place. I freaked and thought I got a batch (3) of bad monitors. I had to call up their customer support for them to tell me to turn that shit off if I were using it for gaming, lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do not see how a map like Sanc can possibly stalemate with the H5 movement mechanics

I'm sure watching people sprint in and out of ring 2 for 10 minutes would be exciting, and couldn't possibly end in a stalemate.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Really?

It's a perfect example actually.

Lot's of long LOS = players constantly thrusting/sprinting to safety as soon as they're one shot being covered by their team mates.

Even on Regret I found it incredibly hard to finish kills and that's on a small arena style map. Sanctuary being a 2 sided map with 2 obvious bases is going to extrapolate the problem even further.

Forget The Pit in Halo 5 (And I also mean DO FORGET The Pit in Halo 5, if I ever have to play that map again I'll end my life), I could foresee games finished after 20 minutes with the score at 5 - 5

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm affraid the button for Thruster pack will be used for other abilities like it was for jetpack, shield, camo etc... This can't be only for thruster pack in the whole game as they won't take camo and all the shitty spartan abilities out of the game imo. Who need power ups on maps when you can just spawn with them.

If they are saying "a spartan should be able to run", don't expect them to take previous features off the game, as "a spartan should be able to see through walls, use his jetpack or turn his shield on".

I'm so impatient to see what waypointers will say when 343 will show the whole multiplayer and that this will imo obviously look like Halo 4.

Changing my stance on Thruster. I feel like as people have become accustomed to it the only way I've seen it being used is defensively.

You have no reason to engage someone across the map or with their back to you or even really at all because the second you do they thruster away.

Hell I'm guilty of it. If someone lands the first shot I know I can get out of there and hope they chase so I can have the upper hand.

It caused a huge standoff between me and a player last night where the second someone got first shot the other would thruster away and then come back. I think the gun fight took over a minute before a teammate showed up and he decided to just bail all together.

*stands in ring 2 and shoots guy at rocks*

*watches as his shields pop while he thrusts behind a rock*

*watches as he runs back to flag evading grenades and BR shots*

*does the same thing to him and his teammates*

Sanc couldn't possible have stalemates...not with H5's movement mechanics 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Changing my stance on Thruster. I feel like as people have become accustomed to it the only way I've seen it being used is defensively.

You have no reason to engage someone across the map or with their back to you or even really at all because the second you do they thruster away.

Hell I'm guilty of it. If someone lands the first shot I know I can get out of there and hope they chase so I can have the upper hand.

It caused a huge standoff between me and a player last night where the second someone got first shot the other would thruster away and then come back. I think the gun fight took over a minute before a teammate showed up and he decided to just bail all together.

Well, thruster is an issue... With the size of the maps and sprint.

Since the maps are larger the engagement distances are longer. This means players thrust behind a wall that is on the other side of the map. However, imagine the game without sprint and with smaller maps: The engagement distances would be shorter and the thrusters could possibly improve on close-mid range combat.

Since so much of the combat in this game is long range the thruster becomes used defensively only which is a shame as I feel thrusters would have been a nice way to spice up gameplay if they had left the rest of it alone and created maps with skilled thruster trick jumps in mind

I was just watching Walshy's stream and I saw him get to some really cool spots in Breakout using the thruster that I didn't even realise you could get to.

Oh... And someone joined the channel and said "This game just looks like every other Halo..."

Annnnnnnd I need a drink. Ugh.

I'm affraid the button for Thruster pack will be used for other abilities like it was for jetpack, shield, camo etc... This can't be only for thruster pack in the whole game as they won't take camo and all the shitty spartan abilities out of the game imo. Who need power ups on maps when you can just spawn with them.

If they are saying "a spartan should be able to run", don't expect them to take previous features off the game, as "a spartan should be able to see through walls, use his jetpack or turn his shield on".

I'm so impatient to see what waypointers will say when 343 will show the whole multiplayer and that this will imo obviously look like Halo 4.

Wow... I hadn't thought of that... I'm scared now...

I know all that

I repeatedly pushed 2 min rockets and 1:30 2 clip snipers in MLG

The problem I have here is people keep saying we need to remove sprint because of [reason that 343 is clearly deliberately attempting to change] and then they wonder why 343 is ignoring them

The guy I originally applied to is like oh no, my setups are useless, when in reality I must ask why standing around doing nothing should be rewarded

If the enemy is attempting to break into you then the game should require you to rotate your positions into a new arrangement that will destroy what the opponent is doing, back and forth, back and forth, all game long

Both movement mechanics and weapon timers are valid solutions to the same problem. In fact, I'd be happier with the game if we got both at the same time.

Honestly I can see it being Worse of a stalemate map then it is now, and carry that over into flag as well,  With halo 5 movement mechanics being inside the ring is a hindrance more then a help, Because whenever you have to back down because they dropped your shield, in 2 seconds you have a full team invading the sight line you just gave up, and breaking your setup,  So now they have ring control, and you do the same thing to them, meaning the main people getting killed, are those that have ring control,  Both sides are going to realize this, and start only holding control of their own bases while shooting across the map, Instead of 30-40kill games we get with a heavy standoff sanc, we are going to be getting 10kill games, and 95% of those will be with the sniper or rockets(the only reason you need to reach midpoint before falling back.)

Now how does this carry over into flag?  Well, you still have the incentive to push up,  But unless you have a complete 4 up vs a complete 4 down(all with 7+seconds on their respawn timers) with complete ring setup, you arn't getting the flag back to your base without a 2minute grabfest for it, Since you can go from one side of the map to the other in around 4seconds while the person with the flag has a 15second trip.

Simple lore work around for Loadouts/Armor Abilities: After extensive Spartan IV War Games and testing, the best loadout was deemed to be AR & Pistol, Mobility mod for unlimited sprint, Resupply mod for more nades, and Thruster Pack for ultimate movement options. Every Spartan IV will now use this loadout, due to its extreme effectiveness. Am I a #Loremaster now, @@Moa ?