CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

ded

Oh god that kid, he posts something about Mario having sprint in every damn sprint thread.

I don't believe anything they say. :/. I saw a twitter post where Josh said (I am paraphrasing) that if high ranked players don't find other high ranks than its better for them to just match anybody. Wish I had the tweet.

He said something like:

If a Pro is searching and no other Pros are online who should they match. Nobody?

It was mentioned on Twitter that for the beta the ranking system has been set to prioritise speed over accuracy and that for the final release it should be adjusted appropriately.

343 definitely don't lie about things, dat fo' sure. :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 4

K. You guys are right it will work perfectly at launch, I forgot who we are dealing with.

The ranking and matching system are a piece of shit. I recall the tweet you mention and it's just more smoke and mirrors to hide how shit the ranking system currently is. I see numerous pros and teams of 4 semi pros all the time and they keep pairing them against me(semi-pro) and people who haven't placed or golds. I've lost count of how many times while searching alone that I have been put into horrendous games with my team getting destroyed and me having double my entire teams kills because they are playing their first or second game and have literally no idea what the fuck is going on. I've had games were I have just hid somewhere on the map and let them destroy my team just to save myself the frustration of getting team shot by these fucking try hards who constantly run in 4's and are nearly busting a vein while calling out. Seriously, I have no idea why people are being such try hards on a beta and why this matching system is so shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

He said something like:

If a Pro is searching and no other Pros are online who should they match. Nobody?

Yeah I mean there is only so much that can happen if there aren't players to support it.

Like could you imagine if you tried searching and this message popped up...."Congratulations you are currently too talented for this playlist! Way to go! You have nothing left to prove! Come back later when there is a challenge more worthy of your time!"

• Upvote (+1) 5

I wanna see how slide would work w/o having to sprint to charge up- I think it can be combined with the thruster to create a double jump. 

So my logic is remove sprint and:

Allow players to shoot while thrusting and sliding and make the thruster allow players to thrust vertically, along the z axis- not just the x and y.

I think that would make for some wicked plays and creative movement. 

@Sal1ent @Deez

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah I mean there is only so much that can happen if there aren't players to support it.

Like could you imagine if you tried searching and this message popped up...."Congratulations you are currently too talented for this playlist! Way to go! You have nothing left to prove! Come back later when there is a challenge more worthy of your time!"

Yeah, but it is complete bullshit. There are the people there to support fair matches but the matching system is terrible.

I wanna see how slide would work w/o having to sprint to charge up- I think it can be combined with the thruster to create a double jump. 

Allow players to shoot while thrusting and sliding and make the thruster allow players to thrust vertically, along the z axis- not just the x and y.

@Sal1ent @Deez

As long as thruster has as short of a cooldown as it does and is as efficient as it is it'll always be used to avoid long range rifling like it is right now.  Without significant changes to thrust, long range combat in Halo 5 will remain effectively pointless and dead.

That thread proves that overwhelming majority is either against sprint or indifferent to it. On Waypoint, of all places. If 343 ignores that thread then we really do have no hope.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Twitch shooters have huge skill gaps, and it's more about movement rather than the shooting.

In fact, if you enter a public server in Quake with good players you'll think you're getting trolled. You see people doing these insane jumps, one shotting you, and doing insane shit while you're just trying to walk.

Unreal Tournament 3 is such a good game to bad it died on xb360 i loved that game <3

I have several potential ideas for what would make better "evolution" of Halo's gameplay, but I refuse to waste my time even expressing them anymore. I mean why bother? 343 will never even consider removing sprint, despite overwhelming consensus, so they're even LESS likely to even consider any alternative gameplay ideas, not even for a moment.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't see the griffball hub up there, also don't see Halofollower's website up there  :kappa:

Grifball is better without sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unreal Tournament 3 is such a good game to bad it died on xb360 i loved that game <3

You played UT3 on console? Game was made for PC

• Upvote (+1) 1

That thread proves that overwhelming majority is either against sprint or indifferent to it.

No, that's typical self-selection bias :joshholmes:

I played CS:GO on 360, was depressingly bad lol

You played UT3 on console? Game was made for PC

I played it on Xb360 lol :D

unreal-tournament-3-xbox360-0611-1.jpg

@Sal1ent @Deez

how would you implement the controls though. I've always thought this as well. It would be awesome to control one item in all 3 directions with a single stick and button, but I feel it would be too complicated to do with the current controllers the XB1 has. We have an x & y directional stick which works as it currently does, but how would you control the thrust with that 3dr dimension?

I always thought you could tie it to be directional based on the direction the player is facing and moving. For example, if you are facing up and moving forward, you thrust upward, if you are facing up and walking backwards towards a ledge, you would thrust downwards. Basically it would be controlled two dimensionally, but the thrusters would rotate based on the spartan orientation. This however, wouldn't promote offensive use because you would have to rely on your aim for a directional boost in one way or another. I don't like this, but until we can control something on 3 different dimensions simply with the press on one button, I don't see it being plausible.

Grifball is better without sprint.

This is true. Hated "Grifball Evolved" in Reach and couldn't stand to play a single game of GB in H4.

Grifball is also the perfect example of sprint stretching maps, check out the "evolved" maps in Reach - fucking enormous.

• Upvote (+1) 1

how would you implement the controls though. I've always thought this as well. It would be awesome to control one item in all 3 directions with a single stick and button, but I feel it would be too complicated to do with the current controllers the XB1 has. We have an x & y directional stick which works as it currently does, but how would you control the thrust with that 3dr dimension?

I always thought you could tie it to be directional based on the direction the player is facing and moving. For example, if you are facing up and moving forward, you thrust upward, if you are facing up and walking backwards towards a ledge, you would thrust downwards. Basically it would be controlled two dimensionally, but the thrusters would rotate based on the spartan orientation. This however, wouldn't promote offensive use because you would have to rely on your aim for a directional boost in one way or another. I don't like this, but until we can control something on 3 different dimensions simply with the press on one button, I don't see it being plausible.

I didn't even think about thrusting down on the z axis, i only figured a payer could thrust upwards along the z axis. 

I was thinking something among st the lines of- Hold jump and click thrust for a vertical thrust. 

So what i am thinking is:

-Slide only allows a player to move in forward direction

- Thruster allows x,y, and z movement

So in essence it could play out slide --> strafe --> jump --> "Thruster jump". 

With the BJ controller scheme,i dont think it would be too difficult to execute.... Or you know custom button mapping would make it ALOT easier. 

Pc and console croud is way to different when you look at looks vs performance. Pc players will be ok for downgrade to get best performance.

Console croud wants pretty games cuz that is seen as 'next gen'.

This is always been this way and probaly will stay this way

This is true.

I have a powerful righ enough to play at maxed out setting on most games, but when it comes to shooters/mobas, I always downgrade the graphics,

Back when CoD4 Promod and MW2 TWL were at their peak I always played at 720p with a custom high performance .cfg file, and low settings (except for anti-aliasing).

Those 250 fps were so sweet. Strafe jumping/bouncing err' day.

It was trash on Xbox 360...