CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Ninja not sprinting and everything is cool but it's not sending a message...their argument will still be "everyone else is still sprinting that's why it's fast paced"

Even with ground pound, thruster, clamber and smart scope simply not sprinting makes Halo 5 looks 100% more like Halo then when using it.

Ninja not sprinting and everything is cool but it's not sending a message...their argument will still be "everyone else is still sprinting that's why it's fast paced"

At least he tries and speak about why it is bad and broken in his stream, this is a good start.

Even with ground pound, thruster, clamber and smart scope simply not sprinting makes Halo 5 looks 100% more like Halo then when using it.

sprint and Ss are really the only things that go against halo. Clamber maybe, but that's if there aren't any jumps that prohibit clamber and require crouch jumping or GP hovering to execute IMO.

I really hope this guy is trolling

I couldn't care less if they make Halo 5 ARs starts. I know the competitive playlist / customs will always be some sort of precision rifle start . There are people who feel strongly about it and it really doesn't matter. They can have that. Just having the OPTION to turn off sprint would be huge though. The game would probably be better than Reach v7.

If your ever searching with a group of 4 and match another group 4 with any people from Beyond you should invite them to the party and try to to record an entire game with not a single person sprinting. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just watching ninja no sprint for 2 min, I could already tell this game would be 1000 times without it.  Like others have said, I think you could ramp up the base movment speed and the maps would play fine and not have to be redone

well, crouch jumping will return according to 343, so as long as the most challenging and rewarding jumps require crouch jumping or some thrust crouch or something, then I'm fine with a mechanic like clamber, although I would rather we be allowed to shoot while doing it.

The thing is, Crouch jumping might be returning, but they designed the maps around Clamber, so crouch jumps will take up about 10% of the jumps, which would be pretty low ledges ones, and 1-2 actual trick jumps.  the only reason they are returning crouch jumping is to get rid of the people complaining that they can't ghandi hop.

Lets hope some of the waypoint kids are watching ninjas stream.. but seeing how casual they are, they prolly arnt.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone else trying out the Nosprint Challenge?

Finally got around to playing the beta yesterday (super busy holiday/travel season) and here are my thoughts.

1. Sprint - Why is this in there? It really doesn't add anything to the gameplay. In fact I only used it maybe 3 times total in my first 10 games. Yes I felt the base speed was slow but I DIDN'T FIND MYSELF WANTING/NEEDING TO SPRINT ANYWHERE. A few people sprinted away from me and I just let them. I've seen too many clips of dumb chases to engage in that. End result is going very positive in all but one of my games, usually top slayer. I don't see sprint adding anything to Halo at all.

Been doing it the whole time. Ninja is late.

At least he tries and speak about why it is bad and broken in his stream, this is a good start.

I agree, in no way is this negative towards ninja. We just need everyone involved is what im saying

Respect for Ninja just went up exponentially.  Thank god people in touch are speaking their mind.

I agree, in no way is this negative towards ninja. We just need everyone involved is what im saying

Wait so is Ninja over his little honeymoon phase now or something?

I really hope this guy is trolling

The really hilarious thing is that when these types of players play against good players in AR starts, the better players get BR's and destroy them so heavily because they can't even fight back. I remember back in Halo 2 getting a BR setup in the normal Team Slayer games and people would just quit because they were getting destroyed so hard and there was absolutely no way for them to regain map control.

They don't even realise that we're HELPING THEM by asking for BR starts.

Halo is supposed to be one of Xbox's most foremost flagship titles. It's supposed to be a license to print money. They care just as much, if not more, about DLC sales, because they get to charge lots of money for relatively little (price:content ratio compared to a full game release) without incurring all the costs that come with making physical copies.

Good post, but you're overestimating how many casual gamers buy DLC. A lot of casual gamers don't even play the game online and if they do play online they've already returned the game to swap it for another before the DLC is even released.

Wait so is Ninja over his little honeymoon phase now or something?

Well I suppose increased Twitch views don't hurt either. Checking out his stream now.

Okay, I'm to the point where I feel I've got a grasp on what it is I don't like and have ideas for balance that would hopefully work. Gonna be a long post.

Gameplay

At the core, H5 has huge potential. There is a lot of balancing to do to get it there, but it isn't flawed at the core. In fact, if it were released in its current state it is easily better than H4, pre ZBNS Reach, and Defeault H3. All my comments and suggestions are assuming none of the mechanics are removable, but are tweak-able.

Movement:

Let's get sprint out of the way. I'd like sprint to just be gone, but if it is necessary, please consider these changes. Thruster ties into this a lot. The shield recharge is a step in the right direction for sure. I think that the main problem right now is sprint combined with thruster. In my opinion two changes need to be made. One; if thruster is on CD, you can't sprint. It keeps the Sprint/Thrust-based jumps in the game, but removes part of the frustration of people getting away.

The other change is to the physics of thrust. If you're on the ground when you thrust, You should get a very short thrust. Enough to juke a shot from the enemy, but not enough to dive into cover unless you were peek-shotting to begin with. The recovery should be very fast, but you should not be able to shoot during the actual thrust. I'm thinking that if you stood a spartan at the start of thrust and at the end of thrust, you'd be able to fit a spartan snugly in between. The way it behaves when jumping should be similar to the grenade displacement currently. The thrust itself doesn't carry you a far distance, but the momentum takes you the rest of the way so that all current thrust-based jumps are still there. The end result is a nerf to thrust's defensive capabilities, but a buff to its firefight based abilities and is neutral for its map movement. Another option to balance is make it so you can't thrust or sprint when your shields have popped, forcing thrust to only be used aggressively/preemptively.

Another change that would be good for the game would be to increase the base movement speed, but keep the speed that sprint goes the same. Also, increase spartan acceleration when strafing. The biggest problem with hitscan is that strafing is significantly weaker, and the stronger the strafe is for this game the better. This also ends up being another nerf to sprint, even though it stays the same speed, its net benefit to movement is reduced but not gone.

Clamber- I'm fine with clamber, I wish it was a small window where you could press the button to do it, give it some skill rather than just hold the button. I'd like jump height to be increased if you're not sprinting so that you aren't forced to use clamber for every single jump. I'd also like clamber to take a little bit longer so it's more beneficial to make the jump properly.

Ground Pound- It's fine, just map it to the D-pad rather than crouch. Unintended ground pounds get me killed way too much.

Spartan charge- This really feels pointless. Have never used it, can't think of an instance where I've been killed by it. Would rather it stay that way.

Weapons

The sandbox for H5 is potentially my favorite of any halo. Every single weapon seems useful so far, given a few tweaks. I'm in favor of AR/Pistol starts, as long as some changes occur.

Weapon Mechanics

In general, I want weapon handling to be faster. Smart scope on all weapons is just too slow in general. Sniper and LR are the worst offenders. Weapons should ready faster as well, YYing should be acutally useful.

Automatics

First, and biggest, PLEASE remove the headshot multiplier on AR and SMG. I can't emphasize this enough. At least for hipfire. It could stay during smartscope only IF the Recoil on both weapons during smartscope forced you to use burst fire rather than just spray and pray. (the reticle barely moves at all for both weapons currently.) The headshot multiplier is just too inconsistent, and if you hit all headshots with either weapon, the only non-power weapon that stands a chance atm is the pistol, and even then the person with the pistol has to have perfect accuracy. The automatics will still be good if the mulitplier is gone, but in its current state the AR is just too good to start with.

Precision

Pistol- Pistol could be the best weapon with the highest skill gap given a couple tweaks. Ideally, I'd want to make it a 4sk, but also cap the fire rate a bit so that its ttk is only slightly faster, so it forces you to focus on your aim a bit more than just spraying and praying like it is currently. Maybe reduce its magazine by a couple bullets as well. The other change i'd like, but may not be necessary is to increase its RRR when scoped in only. Basically, The balance of the Pistol to the AR should be that a good player will keep the pistol when picking up a BR or DMR, and a lesser skilled player will keep the AR. But both should be useful.

BR- feels good, but something has been bugging me about it, and I think I figured it out last night. It seems like the spread when scoped vs. hipfire is different. If this is true of this or any weapon besides automatics it needs to be changed ASAP.

DMR- The only change I would make is visual, that scope is a little too bulky and should NEVER be blinded by the lights on the map. I can't use the DMR on Eden because of the lights blinding the scope.

Light Rifle- I love this gun. I would love it to be the primary over BR if I had to choose between the two. Hardest weapon to shoot next to the pistol. Just reduce the scope-in time please.

Power Weapons

Sniper- I stopped bothering to go for the sniper after a while. It's way too clunky. Increase fire rate, make it ready faster, decrease scope in time. If you do all that, make it harder to get a headshot with. H3's sniper was perfect in that regard. Also, I'll talk about this later, but increase spawn rate and reduce the amount of ammo.

Prophet's bane/Sword- These are fine except it needs to be only 4 or 5 charges before it runs out of ammo.

Hydra- It only feels like a power weapon if the other player isn't shooting you and is standing out in the open. I'd much rather have Reach's grenade launcher.

Grenades

I understand that the Grenades are currently balanced to accommodate thrust, but in doing so, if you don't have thrust, even poorly placed nades are extremely effective. Because of the physics of nades and map geometry you can place a nade right at someone's feet right easily after they've thrusted and it'll do significant damage. I don't know that there's a great solution for this, but what I'd like is for the nades to not stick to the ground like they do sometimes. Make them bounce more, and they'll be harder to effectively place at someone's feet. The other thing I noticed is something with the audio. I have trouble hearing the grenades when there's a lot going on. Either it's mixed really low, or there's a low priority on the sound, but it's a real problem for me. Getting killed by grenades that you can't hear land near you makes no sense. Also, please stop the nades from exploding in my face when I throw them. Nobody shoots them on purpose. It's a terrible thing that happens and is way too common in H5.

Maps

Truth- This is my favorite of the beta so far. A couple things feel like they need to be tweaked. First, Prophet's Bane should spawn more often and with half the ammo. 4-5 charges is plenty. 2.5 – 3 min spawns would work better. As far as the map itself goes, my major issues are that it's way too easy to get to top mid. You can jump from the front of the base onto top mid right off the start, without even going to the spot with the DMR. That is not a good thing. The other problem is the “Bubbles” (I think it's called red/blue bend in game?) are WAY too safe. That is the strongest position on the map, and it shouldnt be.

Empire- I didn't like this map at first, but after thinking about it, better weapon/powerup placement and timing would fix my issues with it. The sniper should only spawn outside. Top mid or bottom mid should have a rocket launcher, and tower should have an OS or Camo. Outside will still be strong to hold, but if your team just holds outside and camps, the other team will get all the necessary tools to break your setup. Sniper should have 1 clip less ammo and spawn every 2 mins, rockets every 3, OS/Camo every 1.5.

Regret- Not a fan of the Hydra. Would much rather have Reach's grenade launcher. I think there should be an OS in the tunnel. The bridge on top mid to arch should have some sort of contested weapon as well, but I'm not sure what. Maybe a sword. The sight lines are really closed off, and competitive play will be really passive unless there is a lot of incentives to not play that way. Not nearly as good of a map as Truth.

Eden- This map sucks for slayer. I could maybe see it playing well on KOTH or something, but not slayer. One, the starting spawns are unbalanced. Spawn each team on red/blue outside. It would still be unbalanced but not as bad. Put rockets on turbine, but don't spawn them from the beginning of the game. Put OS under top catwalk. Sniper should spawn either in security or on bottom catwalk. Less ammo on sniper, 2 minute respawn for sniper, 1.5 minutes for OS, 3 minutes for Rockets. There's no need for a sword on this map.

Final Thoughts

This game has huge potential. If 343 removed sprint and did all these changes, I think it could be amazing. If sprint is non-negotiable, it can still be highly competitive.

ps. remove that hit beep and reduce lighting bloom a bit. Also, Custom button mapping please. Thanks. 

Respect for Ninja just went up exponentially.  Thank god people in touch are speaking their mind.

Everyone who streams Halo pros and regular community members alike need to join the #Nosprint movement. Its about goddamn time the pro community stepped up and voiced their real opinions to 343. If you dont want another H4 then we cannot stand idly by again as 343 ruins this franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lol no one can stand up to it. Sprint is in, the maps are made and it would take an entire overhaul to fix the game. If 343 can't even get a functional MCC going then there's no way in hell they're going to start from the bottom again based on a split community.

Just move on people.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4