CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yeah was really hoping forge was going to be something special... maps look so boring.

Gonna drop my thoughts on the Beta even though most of what I think is already being said.

Sprint - I welcomed it with open arms back in Halo Reach, but now I don't see any point in having it stay in anymore. I should go and the movement Speed should be increased.

Smart Scoping (AKA Aim Down Sights) - Remove it and return to the old Zoom mechanics. ADS does not belong in Halo, and because of it guns like the AR feel too overpowered. 

Clamber - It's interesting and I wouldn't mind it staying in the final game, but if it was removed I wouldn't be heart broken over it.

Ground Pound - Its useless, It's stupid, I never use it in games on purpose. I only ended up using it when I tried to crouch jump one time. It should go.

Thruster Pack - I'm glad that they made it more useful than it was in Halo 4. It ended up being more useful than I thought it would be when I played. I like it and I think it should stay.

Hovering While Aiming (I don't know it's actual name) - Some may not know what I'm talking about, but during some of the games I was playing more than once while I was chasing down someone in a game and I would jump to shoot him I would freeze in the air while aiming. I thought it was a beta glitch in that one game but more and more games I played, it was there. I tried getting used to it but it ended up getting in the way more than helping me. It should go.

The Melee charge - Like the hovering while aiming thing, I stumbled upon this by accident while trying to kill someone in a game. I was going to get an assassination kill, but instead of getting it I just charged at him and miss him and then get killed. This is another thing that gets in my way more than it helps me.

Gun indicators - I would hope that these are still going to be in the actual game and just haven't been implemented into the beta. They should not be removed. 

Spartan Call outs - There is no reason that they should be there. There is no more learning the maps because of them and the "Power weapons in 30 seconds". radio chatter.

Time to kill - Why does it feel like with every new halo game, since Reach, the TTK keeps getting shorter and shorter. It almost takes just as long to kill someone as it does in Call of Duty or Battlefield.

Those are my thoughts from the hours I've played of the beta and I can't say I'm a fan of it at all. There are some things that I like but they're just too overshadowed by the things that I dislike. The more I play it, the more I just jump back into MCC and play Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer.... when it works.

I deeply love classic Halo, but honestly, as a big team fan, a massive scale multiplayer option sounds hella fun, especially for when playing with more casual friends. Maybe we could finally get scarabs and pelicans in multiplayer lol. Add in some objectives, and this could be a really good casual game.

With that said, I don't see why they can't make arena more traditional if the whole experience is going to be split into two sections anyway. They're already going to split the population if this is true, so why not please the people that arena is aimed at rather than turning them away from it?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does the battle rifle feel extremely inconsistent to anyone else? When I zoom in it seems like the burst is extremely tight but out of the scope it feels a lot like the H3 battle rifle. If I catch someone off guard I always scope in no matter the distance because it seems a hell of a lot more consistent that way. I wish there was a way we could test this and find out if this was the case. If that's the way it operates it needs to be changed asap.

What you're probably noticing is 343's decision to make spread a lot tighter when scoped. There are vids on YouTube demonstrating it while standing only feet from the wall.

Make sure to include it in your feedback if it's something you dislike. 343 need to know it wasn't a good decision.

I deeply love classic Halo, but honestly, as a big team fan, a massive scale multiplayer option sounds hella fun, especially for when playing with more casual friends. Maybe we could finally get scarabs and pelicans in multiplayer lol. Add in some objectives, and this could be a really good casual game.

With that said, I don't see why they can't make arena more traditional if the whole experience is going to be split into two sections anyway. They're already going to split the population if this is true, so why not please the people that arena is aimed at rather than turning them away from it?

Yep, exactly. Hence why we say all the features we have major problems with should be toggle. Got there heads up there asses.

Yep me too. I honestly don't think a super big team Halo playlist would be as bad as everyone seems to think it would be.

I've always said that in the same way 8v8 is more about carnage and vehicle fun and joking around than 2v2 is, 12v12 (or whatever) would be even more so than 8v8. It's just a different type of fun for Halo.

Perhaps the most common complaint people have against the idea is that individuals become significantly less important, but that's part of the appeal for me. It becomes more about having chaotic fun than it does about having a tonne of responsibility as a player.

I think the reason people are so against it here is because they judge it on its competitive merit, but that's the wrong way to judge it IMO. Super big team sized playlists would be for the funsies.

The most convincing argument against the idea IMO is that it could dilute the population numbers too much and create problems. That's my only concern. But if they could do it in a way in which that problem is avoided, then I'm all for it.

There are different devs for different segments of the "COD" franchise.

I was painting the overall theme of "sticking to what works" with a broad brush.

Yes, there will be differences in Ghosts, and AW - however I am looking at the entire franchise from the get go.  Overall they have done a good job of keeping the elements that their customers expect.  

My apologies, I was not trying to be specific and get into a which COD is better debate. 

Apologies, I just don't think many of the hardcore fanbase around during the COD2 and the COD4 days were happy with how the series has turned out. It took many more games to get to this stage but AW is as big of an insult to COD2's and COD4's simplicity as halo 4's is to CE.

obviously there are still going to be locations where you and a teammate can coordinate to do things like this, but more than likely you're going to be able to sprint+thrust+jump+clamber to different spots without the need of a teammate or a trick jump. 343 is removing doing "cool shit" by making everything easier for the player.

How is doing what I described any different from what Ryanoob/Chig did? Both instances are of people getting to power positions from as less exposed place with the help of a team mate. Ryanoob could could have jumped up to ring three from his carbine but instead chose the quicker and safer route, my team mate on Regret could have jumped up to top mid the clamber up to ring three but instead chose the quicker and safer route. 

Does Halo Reach's low jump height make skill jumping more impressive than Halo CE which has much higher jump height? Of course not, because the maps are designed with the game's jump height in mind. In Halo 5 clamber really just make your jump height higher when traversing the map but when you are jumping as part of your strafe you aren't gong ridiculously high. Currently Halo 5 already has boost jumping and 343 has said crouch jumping will be possible in the final game. 

What you're probably noticing is 343's decision to make spread a lot tighter when scoped. There are vids on YouTube demonstrating it while standing only feet from the wall.

Make sure to include it in your feedback if it's something you dislike. 343 need to know it wasn't a good decision.

Tight spread is a good decision as long as it remains consistent between Smart scope and hip fire. A BR with a tight spread is great because it keeps Halo 2-3 fans happy who prefer the BR of single shot weapons while pretty much being a single shot weapon in disguise. 

Are we going for Pegasus when the voting starts? Looks much better than Orion to me.

It absolutely looks better + We'll be able to test out the Rocket Launcher on the map. 

Tight spread is a good decision as long as it remains consistent between Smart scope and hip fire. A BR with a tight spread is great because it keeps Halo 2-3 fans happy who prefer the BR of single shot weapons while pretty much being a single shot weapon in disguise.

Yep I agree, but that's the problem, it isn't consistent between hipfire and scope. Players are punished with more randomness in their shots just because they aren't scoped.

I believe Halo worked best when the only disadvantages to being descoped were RRR, and that the enemy was smaller relative to the player's scope and screen. It meant players could still rely on their skill in order to land shots just as much as their scoped enemy, but they had to be even calmer and more focused in doing so to make up for the disadvantage of having an enemy who was smaller on their screen. The fact that they kept out-shooting their scoped enemy under those conditions is what earned them the right to be back on top (back in scope). But now that player is going to have to fight the game at the same time, which sucks.

It means the rich get richer for being the first to shoot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yep I agree, but that's the problem, it isn't consistent between hipfire and scope. Players are punished with more randomness in their shots just because they aren't scoped.

I believe Halo worked best when the only disadvantages to being descoped were RRR, and that the enemy was smaller relative to the player's scope and screen. It meant players could still rely on their skill in order to land shots just as much as their scoped enemy, but they had to be even calmer and more focused in doing so to make up for the disadvantage of having an enemy who was smaller on their screen. The fact that they kept out-shooting their scoped enemy under those conditions is what earned them the right to be back on top (back in scope). But now that player is going to have to fight the game at the same time, which sucks.

It means the rich get richer for being the first to shoot.

Yup that's exactly how I feel. I honestly don't mind that guns that previously didn't have scope now do, it's just when the spread is tightened during smart scope when in becomes a problem.

Also it makes no sense in Halo, COD or any game for that matter. Why does moving a gun closer to you face automatically make it more accurate? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I assume you are referring to Orion and Pegasus as the last two maps. Only one of them will be added to the Beta.

Also if you think Empire is better than Pegasus...  :prayers:  :prayers:  :prayers:

No i was talking about the first 2 maps and the 2nd 2 we got last Friday ,not the ones we have yet to get.

My opinion:

Halo 4 was a bad game that needed huge changes to even be considered good. 

Halo 5 is a good game that needs small changes to be great.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sounds like the ideas of 14 year olds. Sigh.

Who do you think they're trying to sell it to? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I may not be the most informed person, but here are my thoughts on the ranking. 

I noticed how the rank I get is ALMOST entirely based on wins and loses. I see people who have higher ranks than me, but I am a better player than them. This is because they got lucky and they got better teammates than I more often. Communicating or not, my teammates tend to never score above 6 kills in a slayer game. Thus, I lose most of my games even if I played really good. My rank goes down, but my skill and stats go up. In addition, I find losing a game decreases more points than winning a game adds points to my rank. Overall, I am not complaining about how I got bad teammates, but how I will never go up a rank, even if I keep improving and playing really good, unless I play with people I know. 

When I first started up a game, I was using Bumper Jumper and noticed how slowly the sniper rifle zooms (clicking right joystick). Also, I find the AR beating a BR 60% of the time at mid range. In my opinion, the BR should almost always win that fight (~80%).

I am no professional or hardcore gamer, but here is my feedback on the beta

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yep me too. I honestly don't think a super big team Halo playlist would be as bad as everyone seems to think it would be.

I've always said that in the same way 8v8 is more about carnage and vehicle fun and joking around than 2v2 is, 12v12 (or whatever) would be even more so than 8v8. It's just a different type of fun for Halo.

Perhaps the most common complaint people have against the idea is that individuals become significantly less important, but that's part of the appeal for me. It becomes more about having chaotic fun than it does about having a tonne of responsibility as a player.

I think the reason people are so against it here is because they judge it on its competitive merit, but that's the wrong way to judge it IMO. Super big team sized playlists would be for the funsies.

The most convincing argument against the idea IMO is that it could dilute the population numbers too much and create problems. That's my only concern. But if they could do it in a way in which that problem is avoided, then I'm all for it.

BTB has always been awesome, but imo for H4 is was fucking horrible. Reach had a great balance with the loudouts (with the exception of AL) and has imo pretty servicable maps (spawns were horrific), but with halo 4 pretty much everything was shithouse.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If they're going to keep sprint in, the Murder Miner's version is the way to go - fast base movement - knocked out of sprint when hit - able to use weapons instantly after being de-sprinted. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

if 343 could add promo series to decide weather you go up a tier or not and if they had seasons where they reset everyone's rank at the end, then it would be perfect. (like from LoL)

A lot of people disagreed with me when I said it a while ago, but even in Halo 2 the few times they reset the ranks it was my favourite time playing matchmaking. I can understand why people didn't like it though.

I just don't see them ever making Halo bigger than 8v8. It ain't right.

we'll touch back on this at a later date

Still can't get over that Rocket Launcher.

In Halo 4 we had:

All of the Covenant species.

Covenant architecture.

UNSC logo.

Chief's armour.

Various vehicle silhouettes (Warthog's gun shield and the Pelican primarily).

The BR (admittedly this one I quite liked)

All altered for no discernible reason. Now it's the Rocket launcher's turn. Yet H2A (both MP and Campaign) looks like what I'd expect a genuine Halo sequel to look like.

343i's art team's vision of Halo just doesn't quite gel with what already existed. I feel like they could and should have been a lot more respectful of the work that already existed and done more to maintain the style and identity of Halo as it already existed. if Sabre Interactive can do such an excellent job bringing Halo 2 forward by ten years I don't understand why 343 weren't as strict about keeping Halo's look cohesive.

I-I liked Chief's armour.