CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yes, when it's feedback from people who are in lust with Halo 5 and feedback they were planning on using anyway.

When you give feedback on something they like, you get a lippy response and your opinion is hardly taken in to consideration. Not even when you're trying to be a dick, either. I've seen defensive responses over legit criticism.

We'll get tweaks here and there to make the game more tolerable, but the big, grotesque, smelly elephant in the room (sprint) is staying put. I was optimistic about the beta until I started reading Josh and Quinn's tweets. Sad, really.

Totally agree except for your optimism. This is the company who created Halo 4 (and didn't think it was a bad game), ignores that the population was decimated, put ADS in Halo, Added sprint and thrusters further breaking the game, and has never designed a map that was complete and total trash.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I think this is a good thing. Under no circumstances is going for an easy body shot and then finishing with a pistol shot EVER a viable strategy in H1 and honestly it works really well. You either hit your snipes or your use your primary. Some easymode combo of the two never works and I have hated that it's been so effective in every Halo game since.

I do agree that it should not be an option to go for the body shot (unless you know a teammate is very near by as it simply promotes teamwork in that case), but don't you think that this should be forced by quick kill times rather than the fucking weapon taking forever to finish it's animation? While it does take a while for the CE pistol to get ready, from my experience the fact that the pistol kills so quickly is the main reason why snipe body shot + pistol headshot isn't viable in CE. Whereas in h5, the issue is that switching from Snipe to BR takes like two seconds.

In general, I feel like animations are really weird in h5. The pistol has the sickest switching animation and it's pretty much instantly ready, while the BR and especially the snipe take forever. I think a player should be limited by his reaction time, hand-eye coordination, aim etc. but not by the length of animations. You obviously need some sort of penalty for switching weapons, but nothing that takes more than half a second.

Idk man, it doesn't feel like h4 to me- It is your personal opinion so i am not going to argue, but it seems like you will be playing the MCC.

I do agree that sprint and thrust need tweaking. 

Thruster needs a charge period before a person can thrust or made as map pick up and sprint needs to be removed or made so you are knocked out of sprint when shot. 

I'd play H5 if you could ONLY sprint and thrust when you shield was full. That was you can get to the battle quicker to appease the COD kids but it doesn't punish players for being smart enough to get the first shot only for the enemy to sprint and thrust away.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think it's possible to drive the CoD crowd away. They'd play literal shit if it had the CoD name on it 

At least the COD dev's know what the fans want, they know what works, and they STICK TO IT. (regardless if you are a fan of COD or not)

Halo has been the exact opposite - make it worse and worse each time. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm saying anyone who thinks they're actually giving feedback that 343i will listen to is clinically insane and delusional at this point. 343i had years, countless polls and a loud community giving feedback but all of sudden they're going to start listening to the  community now, that is absolutely ridiculous. This beta is not to change mechanics drastically, this beta is simply to test out their matchmaking and ranking systems. In 4 years, 343i has not listened to the community on sprint and other big changes, now after adding even more game crushing mechanics, there are people capable of deluding themselves to think that 343i is going to revert on any of those and actually wants feedback. 

Look at twitter, have the responses from Holmes and Quinn been a message of "that is a good point, we'll take that into consideration" NOOOO. They are defensive in every instance of their additions. Pull your head out of the sand.

I'm not defending 343 here. They've earned every bit of hate they've gotten, and have not listened to us whatsoever. However, not saying anything to try and help is worse than anything else. 

I'd play H5 if you could ONLY sprint and thrust when you shield was full. That was you can get to the battle quicker to appease the COD kids but it doesn't punish players for being smart enough to get the first shot only for the enemy to sprint and thrust away.

I like this idea

and does 343 really think they are going to "win over" a bunch of COD kids?

Personally I do not see it happening.  Sure, maybe 343 will sell a few more copies to some people who play COD - but the affair will not last past a couple weeks post release.  Then the new COD will be released and they will all leave.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like this idea

and does 343 really think they are going to "win over" a bunch of COD kids?

Personally I do not see it happening. Sure, maybe 343 will sell a few more copies to some people who play COD - but the affair will not last past a couple weeks post release. Then the new COD will be released and they will all leave.

At the end that's what matter to them. Selling the game. That way Microsoft is happy and it means no ones getting fired.

At least the COD dev's know what the fans want, they know what works, and they STICK TO IT. (regardless if you are a fan of COD or not)

I've always wondered if this is true. Everyone keeps saying that, but do COD nerds feel the same? Or do they have their own Halo 4?

Totally agree except for your optimism. This is the company who created Halo 4 (and didn't think it was a bad game), ignores that the population was decimated, put ADS in Halo, Added sprint and thrusters further breaking the game, and has never designed a map that was complete and total trash.

My thought process before I knew what Halo 5 looked like was "well, they must see how much of a fuck up Halo 4 was! They're talking about equal starts and abusing the word 'arena' way too much (buzzwords lol)! I bet they want to take Halo back to it's roots!!!~!"

To be honest, I thought the same thing when Halo 4 was announced. The sting from Reach made me believe Halo could only go up from there. "it feels like Halo" LULz.

When I saw Spartans sprinting around inbetween their bro-downs, I actually thought 343i might remove sprint if the feedback is strong enough. Again I say, L.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjmjqlOPd6A - I feel like an idiot now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've always wondered if this is true. Everyone keeps saying that, but do COD nerds feel the same? Or do they have their own Halo 4?

COD kids def each have their own favorite "specific" COD - but overall they still enjoy the core fundamentals. 

They know they can get a new game, put it in their box, and almost instantly be able to pick it up. Just takes learning the new maps, how the new weapons feel, spawns, etc. (due to having past experience with previous COD's)

• Upvote (+1) 2

When you're sprinting with an SMG, Pistol, etc, you can start shooting your weapon at any time, but if you try doing that with a BR or any long-range weapon, you have to wait for a considerable delay before you're able to fire.  I feel that eliminating this delay would make chasing down sprinters much more manageable.  I'm considering making a thread about it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

from what i heard, CoD ghosts was the halo 4 of CoD. 

which is funny, because it's the only one i would consider buying (for extinction)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pegasus looks better. Plus, if more people see the new rocket launcher, hopefully the outcry will be big.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Inb4 Spartan Lock. 'Its not an armor ability like armor lock. Its a Default mechanic. We call them spartan abilities! Unlike Armor lock, if you spartan lock, it will reset your shield recharge delay! this adds some strategy to Halo 6!'

• Upvote (+1) 1

My dream would be that we had a free to play Halo online only with constant tweaks and support where there would be transactions for skins, etc that you could unlock via long time playing. But this is just a dream.

I do agree that it should not be an option to go for the body shot (unless you know a teammate is very near by as it simply promotes teamwork in that case), but don't you think that this should be forced by quick kill times rather than the fucking weapon taking forever to finish it's animation? While it does take a while for the CE pistol to get ready, from my experience the fact that the pistol kills so quickly is the main reason why snipe body shot + pistol headshot isn't viable in CE. Whereas in h5, the issue is that switching from Snipe to BR takes like two seconds.

In general, I feel like animations are really weird in h5. The pistol has the sickest switching animation and it's pretty much instantly ready, while the BR and especially the snipe take forever. I think a player should be limited by his reaction time, hand-eye coordination, aim etc. but not by the length of animations. You obviously need some sort of penalty for switching weapons, but nothing that takes more than half a second.

To answer your first question, yes of course. I've always been for faster perfect kill times as long as the average was not just as fast. I dont mind a switch animation though.

Sprint will never work in a game that has long TTK. It works in cod because the engagements a so fast no one will be able to just sprint away. Sprint is a even bigger issue with BR starts then AR starts. AR starts promote more close range encounters witch makes it a bit more difficult to sprint away. BR starts are mostly long range encounters witch makes it much easier to boost and sprint away after a player getting the first shot on you. That is the biggest problem. If someone gets the jump on me I just boost and sprint away. I should have to engage that player and win or loose the battle. A smart player wont chase kills so its as if the engagement never happened. Sprint slows the game down. Anther issue is that the player that is trying to put shots on has to stop sprinting to shoot while the person sprinting away can run indefinitely.

In other words its Bad Game Design.

The sprint affect has to be balanced with every aspect of the game even if it means changing Halo to accommodate it. Map size, map design, player engagements, weapons, shields, and the speed of the overall game play. My question is why go though so much effort to balance a game around something that has never been needed in the past. I was at the St Louis UGC event this weekend and watched the most exciting and balanced Halo I have every seen. No sprint needed.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

They could have just added more maps to the halo 2A over the course of 10 years and is still play it. You know, just as long as the bugs were finally fixed.

from what i heard, CoD ghosts was the halo 4 of CoD. 

Ghosts might have been a bad CoD game, but it still had over a million's worth of total prize pools and a lot of tournaments as opposed to a dead scene and AGL.

9cca2ce8581ba8b9e83f0ee9557d054f.png

Halo 4 wouldn't be on there if not for the Global Champs.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I just dont know why they think sprint works with thruster with Halos kill times. 
Look at call of duty, sprint works because of how fast you die, add a boost, still punished by fast kill times.

The answer is to redesign this game to be the most competitive shooter next to CS, and providing a social experience for the casual players (action sack, btb, etc)

Fast base movement, low aim assist, kill times slightly tweaked, new weapons, maps designed by competent people. 

Lose the gimmicks, i see so many ground pounds in commercials its ridiculous, stop trying to compete with cod who can make games so fast your head spins, and just make a fun game and stop driving away your fans.

Ghosts might have been a bad CoD game, but it still had over a million's worth of total prize pools and a lot of tournaments as opposed to a dead scene and AGL.

9cca2ce8581ba8b9e83f0ee9557d054f.png

Halo 4 wouldn't be on there if not for the Global Champs.

H4 defiantly stunk- but i always feel like comparing halo to COD is unfair in the sense that COD is available on 3 systems, while halo is only available on 1 system. I just seems to make sense that it has a bigger following.  

EDIT: PS. This is a sweet infographic- shows how exclusive winning is- Only 40 players in h4, 58 in reach, 115 in h2, and 80 in h3 won money.. and alot of the players are reapeat players

• Downvote (-1) 2

H4 defiantly stunk- but i always feel like comparing halo to COD is unfair in the sense that COD is available on 3 systems, while halo is only available on 1 system. I just seems to make sense that it has a bigger following.  

It's not unfair, both Halo 2 and 3 are up there. It's just that Halo 4 sucked.

• Upvote (+1) 3

First off I mean no offense in anything I say here, this is not person it just brings up something that I think is worth talking about:

I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I think this is a good thing. Under no circumstances is going for an easy body shot and then finishing with a pistol shot EVER a viable strategy in H1 and honestly it works really well. You either hit your snipes or your use your primary. Some easymode combo of the two never works and I have hated that it's been so effective in every Halo game since.

I haven't spent enough time with the beta because when I tried to play it at home I got a server error and after all of the issues with MCC I wasn't in the mood to deal with broken Halo. Will try again tonight and maybe write up some impressions and analysis.

No offense taken at all.

I'm not sure I agree though. I'm not much of a H1 player but I was under the impression that, situationally, sometimes going for two "easy" bodyshots in H1 with snipe is better than trying for a single headshot or pulling out your pistol due to the rapid fire rate of the H1 sniper. In the same vein, in certain situations (medium distance where I'm confident about the enemy's location) going for a single body shot and BR cleanup can pay off versus going for an out-BR because hitting the snipe gives you the advantage, but missing it means you're basically dead (at least it would if Thrusters weren't so powerful).

I would agree it was too easy in H2 (easy sniper), H3 (spread/registration) and Reach (bloom). As things stand with H5 though, the slow zoom on the sniper makes quickscoping more difficult than past games, and the slow fire rate means two bodyshots is probably always a bad idea. With the accuracy/registration of the rifles there's greater risk involved with trying and potentially missing the body shot. I think there's some pretty good risk-reward there. I certainly didn't feel like what I tried to do was very easy.

I just remember hitting a fairly difficult quick scope, dying before getting my BR shot off, and thinking "wait, what did I do wrong?". Wish I had saved the clip.