CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

1 hour ago, SuperORANGE said:

h5 is goated. Just checking in to say that.

What does that mean 

I'd once again like thank those 4 stacks in ranked for wearing matching emblems so I can avoid that shit like the cancer it is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

why can it possibly have legal issues? 

If I had to venture a guess there are probably certain parts of development they can't talk about without legal ramification. Specific populations are probably part of that. He does give some general ideas to what the populations are for some playlists.

1 hour ago, Exidrion said:

why can it possibly have legal issues?

Total guess: Marketing/investors and microtransaction sales per active player. You don't want some reddit thread about player population over time analyzing revenue per player infecting your sales pitch to flaky investors.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Huh interesting. I always just made an assumption games don’t show population numbers because they’re afraid of negative backlash. There at least should be something that tells a player what’s the population at least. Like GREEN for high, yellow for average, and red for low. Now you as a player can come to an assumption of what high,AVG, and low is. A decent amount of mmo games have their servers population listed as low or high. But it’s not like you as a player know exactly what high to low is. 

Menke regularly drops really insightful tweets regarding the dynamics of matchmaking. I always forget that I, and most of the people on this forum, are generally outliers when it comes to matchmaking preferences.

• Upvote (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

Huh interesting. I always just made an assumption games don’t show population numbers because they’re afraid of negative backlash. There at least should be something that tells a player what’s the population at least. Like GREEN for high, yellow for average, and red for low. Now you as a player can come to an assumption of what high,AVG, and low is. A decent amount of mmo games have their servers population listed as low or high. But it’s not like you as a player know exactly what high to low is. 

Marking something as low population is going to keep people away from the playlist. Probably just mark the most popular playlists with an asterisk saying these are the popular playlists and leave the low/med playlists alone.

17 hours ago, Nokt said:

Marking something as low population is going to keep people away from the playlist. Probably just mark the most popular playlists with an asterisk saying these are the popular playlists and leave the low/med playlists alone.

Have a "trending" symbol next to the top 2 playlists. "Trending" is a more positive term as it implies temporary interest. "Popular" implies the others are not popular and therefore you start to think "why are they not popular?". 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Have a "trending" symbol next to the top 2 playlists. "Trending" is a more positive term as it implies temporary interest. "Popular" implies the others are not popular and therefore you start to think "why are they not popular?". 

Solid idea. I'd like to see that actually.

It literally depends on the dev to show population or not. However the biggest games are mostly on steam, which shows population. Team fortress 2, a dead game from 2007, is more popular than all of halo. Wouldnt want to show that. 

On 3/10/2020 at 3:21 AM, Nokt said:

I dont think this is a legit reason or the h3 and reach games would have been dead when H4 came out. that wasn't the case. ppl kept searching regardless of the low numbers in playlists.

in practice ppl dont search because of numbers they search first and then stop. just like we do now with no pop counter. except now its harder to tell if its dead, we just have to wait 20 minutes.

3 hours ago, znot said:

I dont think this is a legit reason or the h3 and reach games would have been dead when H4 came out. that wasn't the case. ppl kept searching regardless of the low numbers in playlists.

in practice ppl dont search because of numbers they search first and then stop. just like we do now with no pop counter. except now its harder to tell if its dead, we just have to wait 20 minutes.

I’ve definitely avoided searching things that I’ve wanted to play because I saw how low the population was. Reach and Titanfall both come to mind. 

On 3/11/2020 at 10:00 AM, Riddler said:

It literally depends on the dev to show population or not. However the biggest games are mostly on steam, which shows population. Team fortress 2, a dead game from 2007, is more popular than all of halo. Wouldnt want to show that. 

Steamcharts is just a general population list though. Its not showing active users for specific playlists. The point still stands though, most devs aren't intentionally putting out population numbers in game, they won't even release stats unless its making them look good. Personally as long as I can find games and the population isn't under a couple thousand I'm not sure I care that much. 

8 hours ago, znot said:

As a person that went back and tried to play Halo 3 you couldn't find games outside of a few playlists. If it reported 0 population I wouldn't search it. Team Slayer and Multi-team were the only playlists I ever had luck in and the population was higher than 0 which was why I searched it. 

Some of the older Cod games would report population numbers for playlists in percentages.  The lower end stuff was all listed as <5%, which I thought was a good way of showing that they were lower population playlists without scaring people off.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Nokt said:

As a person that went back and tried to play Halo 3 you couldn't find games outside of a few playlists. If it reported 0 population I wouldn't search it. Team Slayer and Multi-team were the only playlists I ever had luck in and the population was higher than 0 which was why I searched it. 

but the game(s) did report 0 multiple times and were not accurate. people were searching. so then what? you're not going to search because the game says 0? why not try first.

I have 600xp in social skirmish and at least 500xp is from searching with 0 people 2013-2014. Tho its different in h3 because u actually enter a pseudo lobby. So i would see theres 4 people matched with me and just afk until there was 3 more. Playlist was less dead in 2013 than half of mcc’s playlist in 2015-now. 

also mccs matching suck. If ur the highest rank in a playlist, u never get a game. If a 34 30 30 are searching, u only need a 24-40 to search for a doubles game. However there will be plenty of 20-23s searching and they will take the 30 and 30. It gives no priority on wait time. This is really evident when a playlist launches because youll hit lvl 15 and cant match because all the level 1s are taking the level 5s. I was even stream sniping a streamer, searched throughout his full game, game ends, and they match again instantly. Its bs. 

8 hours ago, znot said:

but the game(s) did report 0 multiple times and were not accurate. people were searching. so then what? you're not going to search because the game says 0? why not try first.

Because the playlists that were above 0 got me quicker matches. There is no guarantee that I'm going to find a game in a 0 playlist or at least in a timely manner. I eventually did try, 3 separate playlists in Halo 3 that reported as 0. I waited roughly 4-5 minutes in each and didn't find a game. 

Any of you chaps & chapesses tried Solo Queue?

7 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Any of you chaps & chapesses tried Solo Queue?

Goddammit my dude. LET THE THREAD DIE!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Fire (+1) 1