CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Let's throw out some individual mechanics we think we will see in the game and see who get it's right. 

Sprint, Thrust, ground pound, if they're actually trying to set people off you'll have some kind of wall running or be able to hang from ledges

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah things are about to get really toxic. No excuses are on the table after this. With H4 it was a new company, H5 was the first time they were remotely experienced, etc. This comes after being given plenty of time, already releasing three fuck ups, having time to gain experience as a studio, and far more than enough time to hear the community.

There were never any excuses to begin with. All we heard about in the lead-up to H4 was how 343 had put together this amazing all-star team of super developers with a passion for Halo and they were gonna show all us haterz. It was only after the game bombed and people were searching for reasons to be optimistic about H5 that the narrative switched to this whole "they had no experience" thing.

• Upvote (+1) 5

There were never any excuses to begin with. All we heard about in the lead-up to H4 was how 343 had put together this amazing all-star team of super developers with a passion for Halo and they were gonna show all us haterz. It was only after the game bombed and people were searching for reasons to be optimistic about H5 that the narrative switched to this whole "they had no experience" thing.

Nah that was just bullshit from their vidocs and updates trying to get people to buy their games. Nobody should've ever believed that and afterwards we came to find out they had no idea what to do with deadlines or how to work as a studio. Which was realistic but we did learn they lie about anything they can get away with to make things seem positive right there like the rest of the industry. None of that can reasonably apply anymore though 

343 has been pissing me off since they removed squad slayer from halo reach.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Let's throw out some individual mechanics we think we will see in the game and see who get it's right.

I'm going to guess a small campaign demo, no multiplayer demo. In terms of things seen in campaign, we will see an AR and BR. Some sort of covenant weapon or weapons.

Sprint and thrust will be shown as well as stabilize. A new ability will also be shown not sure what it'll be though.

What I want - MCC on PC, and Halo 6 to be a classic style Halo (also on PC)

What I'd be ok with - Halo 6 multiplayer to be split into 2, Arena (classic Halo) and Warzone (Modern Gimmicky Halo), Or just MCC on PC

What I'm expecting - Halo 6 will continue down the path of Halo 5 with no MCC on PC, burying all hopes and dreams I had for this franchise...

I'm keeping my expectations as low as possible, I'd be glad to be proven wrong, I just hope I am...

What about you guys?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do we reckon there might be anything on the Halo tv show we heard about years back or should I not be getting my hopes up right now?

So off topic, but I cant tell if its my connection or the H5 servers. I pull about 70ms for ping but i have awful lag issues. People teleport during gunfights, bullets do no damage, grenades are late, and the occasional full people walking into walls lag spike. Do i have a poor connection or is this just how the servers are?

I havent played in months so idk :/

So off topic, but I cant tell if its my connection or the H5 servers. I pull about 70ms for ping but i have awful lag issues. People teleport during gunfights, bullets do no damage, grenades are late, and the occasional full people walking into walls lag spike. Do i have a poor connection or is this just how the servers are?

They're not regularly that bad. Where are you seeing 70 ping? If it's in the Xbox network test thing that gives 0 indication of your ping to the actual server.

They're not regularly that bad. Where are you seeing 70 ping? If it's in the Xbox network test thing that gives 0 indication of your ping to the actual server.

Yeah it’s the Xbox network test. Is there anyway I could get an idea of my ping to the server? It’s super frusturating. The game is unplayable sometimes.

I actually lived that same life last night. I get like 800 up and down and the H5 servers just had people kind of teleporting a little bit or just having weirdly laggy animations or bullets registering late. Not sure what's going on but MCC/Insider builds run better than H5 did for me last night. I didn't have full on people walking into walls lag spikes but you could definitely tell it was struggling

I actually lived that same life last night. I get like 800 up and down and the H5 servers just had people kind of teleporting a little bit or just having weirdly laggy animations or bullets registering late. Not sure what's going on but MCC/Insider builds run better than H5 did for me last night. I didn't have full on people walking into walls lag spikes but you could definitely tell it was struggling

I get 40 down 3 up and it’s the same for me: MCC and other games run fine, but H5 runs like shit, but it never did before I moved to my new apartment. Idk man but it’s annoying asf.

Yeah it’s the Xbox network test. Is there anyway I could get an idea of my ping to the server? It’s super frusturating. The game is unplayable sometimes.

Yeah the xbox network test just tells you your ping to the regional live login server, not whatever servers are actually used for your game so its kind of useless.  The only way to tell what you're real ping is is to have something like a netduma router with utilities  included to monitor that or to bridge connection through a PC and use a tool like Wireshark to spy on your own connection.

You could be experiencing packet loss or just be in a location where the only server you connect to is a lot of hops away.  Or more likely, its a combination of all those factors.

Yeah the xbox network test just tells you your ping to the regional live login server, not whatever servers are actually used for your game so its kind of useless. The only way to tell what you're real ping is is to have something like a netduma router with utilities included to monitor that or to bridge connection through a PC and use a tool like Wireshark to spy on your own connection.

You could be experiencing packet loss or just be in a location where the only server you connect to is a lot of hops away. Or more likely, its a combination of all those factors.

I wish they would give us some sort of connection feedback in game :/

Same.... but alas.  

I don't understand why not.  It used to be a  good tool for judging gunfights.  "Welp shit my connection is worse  than everybody else i better assume im a shot down each fight" or " xXBlueBalls4EvaXx is going to be laggy as fuck".  Its the internet.  This kind of shit is going to happen regardless of how good the netcode is and it would be nice to know where i stand relative to other players in the same game so i can judge my gunfights accordingly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah it would help so much in knowing how aggressive I should be with fights. I’ve had times recently that I’ll get into a gym fight, I see literally only one or two shots come of of their gun, but the game registers it as five and I’m dead. In those games I just stop fighting people who are looking at me. Really hinders how much I can help.

Psa. Discussing up/down internet speed mean almost nothing for lag. You need no more than 10 down to be able to transfer the data from h5/h2a but what causes you to lag the most is your ping. You can get 1 down and have a ping of 10. Ping is determined by distance and the routes your isp lets you take. If youre connecting to a va dedi and your isp is sending you to florida first then to va, your ping will be ass even if you live in maryland (extreme example). Basically you want as close to a straight line as possible but your isp might send you down different lines that are zig zags or just send you down lines that are slower in general.

You should be saying. I ping 20 to a server 50 miles away. That gives us a way better idea of what we're dealing with.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Psa. Discussing up/down internet speed mean almost nothing for lag. You need no more than 10 down to be able to transfer the data from h5/h2a but what causes you to lag the most is your ping. You can get 1 down and have a ping of 10. Ping is determined by distance and the routes your isp lets you take. If youre connecting to a va dedi and your isp is sending you to florida first then to va, your ping will be ass even if you live in maryland (extreme example). Basically you want as close to a straight line as possible but your isp might send you down different lines that are zig zags or just send you down lines that are slower in general.

You should be saying. I ping 20 to a server 50 miles away. That gives us a way better idea of what we're dealing with.

Mobile neg :( I owe you +1

I only offered my up/down in response to the other guy, I know it doesn’t affect lag (although I was wondering if it wasnt specifically lag but just my shitty apartment monopoly internet). I believe all of the traffic in the complex goes in and out of one initial switch before routing off to each building, and from there each unit, And the same route going the other way. Probably the reason.

And there no chance for me getting different internet. The company who own the ISP I get also owns the apartment complex. Bastards.

I’m in west MI so I’m unsure as the where the closest dedi to me is.

For sure my ping for example from just outside of ATL to LA so across the entire country is ~45. So the stuff that goes on with H5 servers from time to time doesn't really make a lot of sense since people visibly lagged less in 2008 H3 with over 100 ping at all times unless we were all just on red bar. I'd probably have to have information that Microsoft isn't going to let me see to figure out exactly what's going on during those nights where everything is sluggish and dedicated servers fail to start games etc. I sort of feel like it doesn't even have anything to do with everyone else's internet at all but its just a guess. Maybe I could get the IP of the server and traceroute it or something to see if its a hop before I actually reach the server throwing back a huge ping but I honestly hardly even play H5 as it is and I'd have to wait for one of the bad nights

Someone here going to tell me how mcc dedi better than h5?

No lol. I had a dedi just freak out in a 1v1 the other day and blue screen both of us multiple times and teleport us around for a min before it just went back to working normally. I was actually wondering if it was even using a dedi for a min

yo is there a post somewhere that goes really into depth about halo 5 mechanics? 

im talking like sensitivity optimization, spawn mechanics, weapon nading, pro jumps, non power weapon spawn times, glitches/hitbox explanations.

I have the MCAT coming up, but if there's nothing like this out there, I was thinking about figuring this stuff out and making a pdf or something. really not trying to watch a million youtube videos starting with " whats up guys this is doodooface42 coming at you with a new halo 5 video...."

• Downvote (-1) 2