CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

#Ifceis#1haloforyouthenyousuckH3forfuckinglivemorelifemoreloveh3morethanshitCE

Looks like the kind of message you would get after stomping all over someone in CE in the slayer playlist on MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I mean yeah I understand the argument completely but pragmatically that is not something that any game dev is going to do.  Are there any other games that have done this?  If the geometry of the gun is different, it should fire differently. I guess really, if the gun has a different name, it should fire differently.  What you are basically arguing is "Let just trick the filthy casuals, they'll never know the difference." which is frankly pretty insulting to the largest percentage of the player base and would look cheap as hell from a development PoV.

Americas Army on the PC is one game that I can think of that kind of did what you are talking about with changing weapon skins. For those who aren't familiar, Americas Army (AA) was a PC FPS game paid for and developed as a recruiting tool for the US army back in 2002. Gameplay was similar to Counter Strike, in that it was round based and one team played "attack" and the other team played "defense." The interesting thing about the game was that because it was paid for by the US Army, and they have a strict policy about never shooting or killing other US soldiers (naturally), the game developers came up with some interesting game mechanics.

The way the game ended up working, was regardless of whether you were on attack or defense you played as an American solider against the Opposing Forces (OPFOR). They accomplished this by changing the player and weapon skins in game, so that players on the opposite team appeared to be terrorists using the appropriate weaponry. So if you killed an opposing player and picked up his gun, you would now be using an AK-47 instead of an M16. Additionally, if an opposing player killed one of your teammates and grabbed his gun, you would see a terrorist using an M16 instead of an AK-47.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Shallow variety achieved. Balance problems avoided. Expanded, monetizable customization options introduced. Modern FPS loadout system approximated with no negative impact on gameplay. Kiddies can start with a RIFLE AND NOT A SIDE ARM if they really need to.

Or, we can just never cater to kids who make this argument, and get them out. Root out the weak links. Just seems like a waste of resources to trick kids who make shit arguments, over making a good game with one satisfying weapon.

343 makes an honest attempt to salvage Halo 5 with a second chapter. A new game and a direct continuation of Halo 5's events solely from Chief and Blue Team's perspective, but in every sense, the Campaign serves to set the story straight and put things back on the track of Huntthetruth and Halo 5's ads. Chief and Locke break their established trust, Cortana goes on a rampage and badly damages the Infinity, etc.

Drop the Cortana storyline in favor of a "Didact takes Cortana's appearance to both fuck with his nemesis, and to weaken humanity's forces by taking a pillar to their operations away from them", before using both his Promethean forces and his newfound AI forces as a means to begin the unraveling of human forces. UNSC and rebel forces unite to aid in the survival of their race, and go from there, with the Infinity acting as a hub. Retcon some bits of dialogue from the final level of Guardians, alter The Breaking's cutscene to have Blue Team's capture be by the Didact who finally reveals himself, having tricked Blue Team for days, and there you go. A change to make Halo 5 passable, and a good start for Halo 6.

My take on the utility weapon: The only reason having a handgun as the utility weapon is an issue is because 343 fail to convey its power to the player. The magnum in Halo 5 looks and sound like a pea shooter. Make the magnum look and sound like a MAGNUM.

This also doesn't just apply to the Magnum. Every single weapon barring the DMR on the UNSC side sounds so weak. I think the Magnum's at its worst when you hear it being fired from a range. Christ is that such a grating noise. "Puuuu". I hate the Magnum's audio so much. But then you listen to the CE Magnum in H5 and it legitimately sounds great from near or afar, arguably better than the original. They need to drop the idea of making their guns sound realistic in relation to what they are and focus on making them sound good and cool.

• Upvote (+1) 3

They just need to look at Halo 1/2 sound design if they want to make weapons feel like they have weight. They can go higher quality than what we had then but its like they don't know what bass is half the time in H4/H5

• Upvote (+1) 2

They just need to look at Halo 1/2 sound design if they want to make weapons feel like they have weight. They can go higher quality than what we had then but its like they don't know what bass is half the time in H4/H5

Except H2 weapons suck dick in terms of sound design. It works at being non-grating sure, but I'd take H5's SMG audio over H2's anyday. There is literally no weight to any gun in that game. And that's hindered more by weapon performance.

H1's gucci, though. Most of the time. I don't have many memorable issues with sound there.

Except H2 weapons suck dick in terms of sound design. It works at being non-grating sure, but I'd take H5's SMG audio over H2's anyday. There is literally no weight to any gun in that game. And that's hindered more by weapon performance.

H1's gucci, though. Most of the time. I don't have many memorable issues with sound there.

H2 is mainly just the BR. Its not even good or high quality but it sounds like its going to kill something when you're using it. That's where they really fail. I've used nail guns that are more intimidating irl lol

Or, we can just never cater to kids who make this argument, and get them out. Root out the weak links. Just seems like a waste of resources to trick kids who make shit arguments, over making a good game with one satisfying weapon.

Fortnite is the most popular game in the world. Just making a good game is not a solid business strategy.

And none of those weapons will ever be outright removed, so advocating for that would be a waste of time.

The H2A BR sound in the campaign (which is for some reason different from MP lol) is amazing. Overall H2A's campaign should be the guiding light for art style, graphics and audio design going forward.

Excuse me while I go on a tangent here:

(huge pics in spoiler)

Halo-2-Anniversary-Plasma-Rifle.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I mean just look at this. It's perfect. It looks like Halo, but "modern" enough to pass as a new game and without sacrificing the integrity of the franchise. No anime influence. No tron influence. No power rangers. Just a great looking game.

If only we could get a game that plays like a refined CE, that looks like H2A and has all the non-gameplay features of Halo 3. You can't tell me that game wouldn't sell or that it would fail in todays FPS market. Just no way.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Fortnite is the most popular game in the world. Just making a good game is not a solid business strategy.

And none of those weapons will ever be outright removed, so advocating for that would be a waste of time.

Sorry, rational thinking's punished in this day and age.

The H2A BR sound in the campaign (which is for some reason different from MP lol) is amazing. Overall H2A's campaign should be the guiding light for art style, graphics and audio design going forward.

I only like H2A's MP sound more because the higher pitched ring of the campaign's burst's ending just irritates me. MP's just a consistent, dull, blast of awesome. H2A's art style's great though, more so with multiplayer Covenant assets. Look at any Wraith, Ghost, Carbine, or Elite armor set in MP. Mind you, the campaign assets are... Fine for them, just dull. Elite bodywork obviously is better in campaign, but their armor weirdly looks like plastic. The texturework for MP is just god tier and set a high bar for good Covenant shit. I love the gradient blue and purple shifts on the Ghost's armor. Armor design for MP Spartans was also a good hybrid of old and new art styles, and they even took a step with properly evolving the waistbands, while keeping them present on Mark VI. Just gucci all around.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Americas Army on the PC is one game that I can think of that kind of did what you are talking about with changing weapon skins. For those who aren't familiar, Americas Army (AA) was a PC FPS game paid for and developed as a recruiting tool for the US army back in 2002. Gameplay was similar to Counter Strike, in that it was round based and one team played "attack" and the other team played "defense." The interesting thing about the game was that because it was paid for by the US Army, and they have a strict policy about never shooting or killing other US soldiers (naturally), the game developers came up with some interesting game mechanics.

The way the game ended up working, was regardless of whether you were on attack or defense you played as an American solider against the Opposing Forces (OPFOR). They accomplished this by changing the player and weapon skins in game, so that players on the opposite team appeared to be terrorists using the appropriate weaponry. So if you killed an opposing player and picked up his gun, you would now be using an AK-47 instead of an M16. Additionally, if an opposing player killed one of your teammates and grabbed his gun, you would see a terrorist using an M16 instead of an AK-47.

It's a nice idea but in theory, similar to a lesser extent of options like forceenemymodel in Quake and cl_minmodels in CS 1.6 (essentially standardizing enemy / friendly models), however in an era of cosmetics / aesthetic microtransactions it simply won't work. Purchased skins whether they be armour / effects / weapons are desirable not only because they look good for the individual but also because they are projecting out that image of themselves, the social element of it really drives people to spend more time or money than they should on aesthetics.

If you're able to standardize weapons / weapon skins then it ruins that social element. The only way I could think of that would work around that would be textured weapon skins that work across all utility weapons but even then it would still be somewhat deminished and would need to be reinforced with a much better system of applying unique properties to skins more akin to CSGO in order to be successful.

Excuse me while I go on a tangent here:

(huge pics in spoiler)

Halo-2-Anniversary-Plasma-Rifle.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I mean just look at this. It's perfect. It looks like Halo, but "modern" enough to pass as a new game and without sacrificing the integrity of the franchise. No anime influence. No tron influence. No power rangers. Just a great looking game.

If only we could get a game that plays like a refined CE, that looks like H2A and has all the non-gameplay features of Halo 3. You can't tell me that game wouldn't sell or that it would fail in todays FPS market. Just no way.

talking about art style, I love that HCE Marine render someone posted on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/8mjz39/this_halo_ce_marine_render_by_abisv/

The sound is another reason why i want a slightly slower firing primary.  Give more time for the bass and report to "feel" like something powerful.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just an added note. Change this to Reach. God, I hate that game, but its social features were Halo 3's on steroids.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just an added note. Change this to Reach. God, I hate that game, but its social features were Halo 3's on steroids.

yes and no. forge is obviously better and the browser too but

i miss being able to watch films with people and not being able to browse people's fileshare while searching for a match/pregame lobby is what killed the fileshare experience. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

tenor.png

"Shit CE"

:walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:  :walshy:

There will always be Halo fans that amaze me. I would like to assume ignorance/trolling, but at this point I feel like you can't be sure and should assume its serious. 

Just an added note. Change this to Reach. God, I hate that game, but its social features were Halo 3's on steroids.

Idk some things were better, but watching Theater together with friends, the File Share being so easily accessible in the pre game lobby and stuff like Bungie favorites and double XP weekends were so good. Reach felt hollow and bland compared to H3 in social aspects imo

Idk some things were better, but watching Theater together with friends, the File Share being so easily accessible in the pre game lobby and stuff like Bungie favorites and double XP weekends were so good. Reach felt hollow and bland compared to H3 in social aspects imo

Mix both. EZ. Also, I think "screenshots of you" was a better feature, only because I found the amount of ass and t-bagging shots of others to me to be hilarious. Also, Jackpot weekends were Reach's double XP. And man did I whore them out to reach Inheritor.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Mix both. EZ. Also, I think "screenshots of you" was a better feature, only because I found the amount of ass and t-bagging shots of others to me to be hilarious. Also, Jackpot weekends were Reach's double XP. And man did I whore them out to reach Inheritor.

Not saying Reach didn't have good ideas, because yeah screenshots of you and the larger file shares etc. were great. I just loved how easy it was to access people's file share in H3 while the maps was loading and see the "put this on your file share if your BR is 5 star" pictures etc. Hilarious.

Also I think Double XP weekends did a way better job at bringing people together. People would actually team up to grind Team Flag. Reach's jackpot was just too intransparent to be as effective (plus giving it to a random exisiting playlist instead of making an amazing weekend playlist like Grifball or 3 Ball is so lame).

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 Ball = GOAT casual gametype.

a.k.a. montage the gametype. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I loved Reach's daily and weekly challenges. I'd love to see those make a comeback. Jackpot weekends were also great. I remember when the MLG playlist went from 100 people playing to well over 1000 all because they put a credit boost on the playlist.

For things like testing playlists or new settings, they'd be able to get a lot more data when they add an incentive to play the specific playlist that's getting updated. Feedback would still be mostly done by the core audience of that playlist, but their data for spawn locations, ranks, kill times, etc. would all get a boost.

• Upvote (+1) 4