CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

no screw you guardian was awesome and you know damn well you’re in the minority that hated it

no screw you guardian was awesome and you know damn well you’re in the minority that hated it

I say h3 but better since it’s clear most don’t like it. Mcc is some evidence to that since it’s clear there’s not enough h1 or 2 love. Hey I’m just saying

free to play what kind of bs is that? Let’s at least be realistic here. This isn’t a battle royale and h5 skins sucked

Are you rapid fire posting on mobile all the time?  If not, for the love of god use multiquote.

• Upvote (+1) 1

free to play what kind of bs is that? Let’s at least be realistic here. This isn’t a battle royale and h5 skins sucked

The fact it's not a battle royale doesn't change the potential of f2p. Play on multiple platforms, be scaleable for low end PCs and be free. Removing barriers to entry is the easiest way to gain traction, not to mention it would create a bigger buzz around the game being the first true Halo game to release.

Similarly, how they've done in the past with their entire approach / implementation of cosmetic microtransactions is abysmal but it doesn't stop there being massive potential. See any game that has implemented theirs properly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How about, since a bunch of goofballs have an pointless aesthetic hang-up about using a bad-ass, high caliber pistol in Halo, they introduce the following:

Utility Weapon Customization in combination with a comprehensive, extensible skin system that they built from the ground up after throwing out Halo 5's awful cosmetics.

You select WHICH weapon you use (Magnum, DMR, BR, Carbine, Light Rifle, whatever else) in the Spartan customization screen. When you pick up a "utility weapon" on the map (or spawn with it), you automatically use your selected weapon and skin (kind of like Gears 4). If you pick up someone else's on the ground, their cosmetics would remain intact. These weapons are completely identical in functionality in every way.

Shallow variety achieved. Balance problems avoided. Expanded, monetizable customization options introduced. Modern FPS loadout system approximated with no negative impact on gameplay. Kiddies can start with a RIFLE AND NOT A SIDE ARM if they really need to.

This has been said many times over the past 10 years. And its still perfect.

• Upvote (+1) 2

ok new topic what we need to hear/see at e3 even though we know for a FACT we won’t.

343 makes an honest attempt to salvage Halo 5 with a second chapter. A new game and a direct continuation of Halo 5's events solely from Chief and Blue Team's perspective, but in every sense, the Campaign serves to set the story straight and put things back on the track of Huntthetruth and Halo 5's ads. Chief and Locke break their established trust, Cortana goes on a rampage and badly damages the Infinity, etc.

I don't see a real way around it, at least. Maybe they name it Halo 6, maybe they don't, but Halo needs to make a real statement as an Xbox One title before they can expect ANY resounding hype for another numbered release. 5 is a far bigger number for Halo than 6 is in that sense, and a big number to get right in my eyes, even if it takes two tries. I'm gonna repeat myself here, but I don't trust in 343 or Halo's ability to gain real hype for Halo 6 after sweeping all the hype, expectations, and money spent on 5 under the rug.

They have a habit of doing that and it's just gonna keep coming back to haunt them.

What really is going to happen:

> Conference held inside a giant car

> Here at Microsoft Studios we acknowledge that the past few years have not been our best...

> However in the background we've been working on something that will make it worth the wait...

> Without you, we wouldn't be able to achieve what we've done so far...

> You are the engine that powers this company...

> The audience starts making motor noises...

> We're proud to have one of the best teams in the world with us...

> Ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to announce.....

> Bugatti car appears out of the blue...

> Forza [whatever version it is now]

> Audience starts dying from the excitement

> Camera focuses on the "I witnessed the best line up in gaming history" shirts xbox drones are wearing

> Phill Spencer saves xbox YET AGAIN

*Phil Spencer sprints backstage making engine revving noises*

• Upvote (+1) 5

I say h3 but better since it’s clear most don’t like it. Mcc is some evidence to that since it’s clear there’s not enough h1 or 2 love. Hey I’m just saying

Ignoring:

-The low quality and playlist structure of the H1 and H2 ports, as well as how lacking they are compared to H3 in areas outside of gameplay.

-More people having nostalgic bias for H3 due to it being the height of franchise popularity.

-That popularity and quality of design are not the same, and that a new game with the same mechanics wouldn't necessarily be as well received.

-That you constantly project your own tastes onto everyone else.  "Hey man it's not a problem for ME, but X doesn't like Y so we can't do that".  Yeah sure.

Look, I'll bite.  What does H3 but better look like anyways?

Well if nothing else I'll agree that this is the first time I'm hearing of people hating Guardian.

*Phil Spencer sprints backstage making engine revving noises*

why is this so funny lmao

• Upvote (+1) 2

Guardian is just a worse Lockout, and Lockout is only good with ball

for real? Damn. I can think of many things wrong with that statement
  • Upvote (+1) 1

for real? Damn. I can think of many things wrong with that statement

Me too!!

Guardian is a slightly better lockout, and both are only good with ball.  Its funny because i dont think the map is actually better, it just plays slightly better because the H3 BR is so weak, you can actually push a snipe tower setup and not just get guaranteed melted on your way.

#HotTake

• Upvote (+1) 1

I take it back. Can we trade supermelee for boyo?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Guardian is just a worse Lockout, and Lockout is only good with ball

Yea but you're a sucker for anything to do with balls.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How about, since a bunch of goofballs have an pointless aesthetic hang-up about using a bad-ass, high caliber pistol in Halo, they introduce the following:

Utility Weapon Customization in combination with a comprehensive, extensible skin system that they built from the ground up after throwing out Halo 5's awful cosmetics.

You select WHICH weapon you use (Magnum, DMR, BR, Carbine, Light Rifle, whatever else) in the Spartan customization screen. When you pick up a "utility weapon" on the map (or spawn with it), you automatically use your selected weapon and skin (kind of like Gears 4). If you pick up someone else's on the ground, their cosmetics would remain intact. These weapons are completely identical in functionality in every way.

Shallow variety achieved. Balance problems avoided. Expanded, monetizable customization options introduced. Modern FPS loadout system approximated with no negative impact on gameplay. Kiddies can start with a RIFLE AND NOT A SIDE ARM if they really need to.

Great idea, but it seems like the kind of idea that would get shot down because someone in the meeting would feel like it’s too confusing for new players. This is the same team that took out flag juggling because they felt it was confusing when the flag carrier can drop the flag and whip out a powerweapon.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Great idea, but it seems like the kind of idea that would get shot down because someone in the meeting would feel like it’s too confusing for new players. This is the same team that took out flag juggling because they felt it was confusing when the flag carrier can drop the flag and whip out a powerweapon.

If the weapons are going to have the exact same functionality, then they need to have the same geometry imo.  If I pick up a weapon that is completed different form, i expect it to execute differently in kind.  I prefer the "For love of shit balls casuals... don't like having a "sidearm" as your primary weapon FINE, here, it looks like a DMR now even though it functions exactly the same" approach if people truly can't get over the way a gun looks.  The best answer is for casuals to get over it and understand that its a high caliber, high precision sidearm with a power/size ratio that only real spartans can handle.  It makes everybody an armor clad space marine Dirty Harry, which is pretty badass, but maybe that's just me...

I do like the customizable skin approach though.  They could otherwise execute it similarly so that any weapon you pick up has the skin you chose, except for enemy weapons which would have their same skin as already discussed..  They could add the medal for killing an enemy with their own weapon but PLEASE just put it in the kill feed, not as a giant, announced medal.  H5 already has the very limited spawn weapon skins, so this would be a natural extension of that and probably pretty likely to make it to H6 (i would hope).

If the weapons are going to have the exact same functionality, then they need to have the same geometry imo. If I pick up a weapon that is completed different form, i expect it to execute differently in kind. I prefer the "For love of shit balls casuals... don't like having a "sidearm" as your primary weapon FINE, here, it looks like a DMR now even though it functions exactly the same" approach if people truly can't get over the way a gun looks. The best answer is for casuals to get over it and understand that its a high caliber, high precision sidearm with a power/size ratio that only real spartans can handle. It makes everybody an armor clad space marine Dirty Harry, which is pretty badass, but maybe that's just me...

I do like the customizable skin approach though. They could otherwise execute it similarly so that any weapon you pick up has the skin you chose, except for enemy weapons which would have their same skin as already discussed.. They could add the medal for killing an enemy with their own weapon but PLEASE just put it in the kill feed, not as a giant, announced medal. H5 already has the very limited spawn weapon skins, so this would be a natural extension of that and probably pretty likely to make it to H6 (i would hope).

Ok.what if a player would only sees the version of the utility weapon they prefer. So you might be running around with a DMR in your game, but in my game I see you running around with a Magnum. If the guns were all functionally identical, this would work, imo.

The best solution though, is to 1) just get rid of all the redundancy, or at least don’t put all of that shit into the competitive playlist. 2) as you said, tell casuals to get over it. pistols can be strong AF, and a super soldier should be able to use it accurately at range.

Especially funny because it only takes getting rocketed by the flag guy once to grasp such a crazy concept.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Especially funny because it only takes getting rocketed by the flag guy once to grasp such a crazy concept.

Lol the craziest thing is they made this dramatic, fundamental gameplay change to address a “problem” that could have been solved through much simpler means.

But I guess that was the theme of H4.

Edit: just stubbled onto a pre-H4 waypoint thread about whether or not flag juggling should return. The first response to the OP was

“Yes it should stay. It really has to if you think about it. You're not going to make the game so that once you pick up the flag you can't put it down till your dead. :)

If only he knew...

If the weapons are going to have the exact same functionality, then they need to have the same geometry imo.  If I pick up a weapon that is completed different form, i expect it to execute differently in kind.  I prefer the "For love of shit balls casuals... don't like having a "sidearm" as your primary weapon FINE, here, it looks like a DMR now even though it functions exactly the same" approach if people truly can't get over the way a gun looks.  The best answer is for casuals to get over it and understand that its a high caliber, high precision sidearm with a power/size ratio that only real spartans can handle.  It makes everybody an armor clad space marine Dirty Harry, which is pretty badass, but maybe that's just me...

I do like the customizable skin approach though.  They could otherwise execute it similarly so that any weapon you pick up has the skin you chose, except for enemy weapons which would have their same skin as already discussed..  They could add the medal for killing an enemy with their own weapon but PLEASE just put it in the kill feed, not as a giant, announced medal.  H5 already has the very limited spawn weapon skins, so this would be a natural extension of that and probably pretty likely to make it to H6 (i would hope).

I think that expectation is about as arbitrary as the expectation that a RIFLE should be better than a SIDEARM. Having more than one of those weapons in the game is completely pointless for Halo's sandbox to begin with, but they aren't going to cut them and casuals aren't going to suddenly start caring about function over form when they literally never have. Might as well implement them in a way that makes sense and doesn't make the game worse. Just think of them as a weapon class or something.

And, honestly, they probably wouldn't even need to be that explicit about it. Just call it a "loadout" and you have dozens of threads discussing which is the best starting weapon guaranteed.

"No, dude. The Light rifle is CLEARLY better than the DMR."

"You're insane. Carbine shits all over both of those weapons."

"Man, I just hate it when I have to pick up someone's shitty Magnum off the ground mid match. Such a huge downgrade from the BR."

Meanwhile, they all have exactly identical mechanics.

Lol the craziest thing is they made this dramatic, fundamental gameplay change to address a “problem” that could have been solved through much simpler means.

But I guess that was the theme of H4.

Edit: just stubbled onto a pre-H4 waypoint thread about whether or not flag juggling should return. The first response to the OP was

“Yes it should stay. It really has to if you think about it. You're not going to make the game so that once you pick up the flag you can't put it down till your dead. :)

If only he knew...

The theme of Halo 4 was "we have no idea how to play or create Halo but its ours now." They missed a lot of fine details and were, at the same time, trying to make game changing alterations. That game was all over the place and for good reason. They would've been much better off copying H3 from the ground up and playing everything as safe as they could. Maybe branch out for real gameplay alterations in the next game once they have a finished product and experience dealing with the deadlines as a studio and the community.

I think that expectation is about as arbitrary as the expectation that a RIFLE should be better than a SIDEARM. Having more than one of those weapons in the game is completely pointless for Halo's sandbox to begin with, but they aren't going to cut them and casuals aren't going to suddenly start caring about function over form when they literally never have. Might as well implement them in a way that makes sense and doesn't make the game worse. Just think of them as a weapon class or something.

And, honestly, they probably wouldn't even need to be that explicit about it. Just call it a "loadout" and you have dozens of threads discussing which is the best starting weapon guaranteed.

"No, dude. The Light rifle is CLEARLY better than the DMR."

"You're insane. Carbine shits all over both of those weapons."

"Man, I just hate it when I have to pick up someone's shitty Magnum off the ground mid match. Such a huge downgrade from the BR."

Meanwhile, they all have exactly identical mechanics.

I mean yeah I understand the argument completely but pragmatically that is not something that any game dev is going to do.  Are there any other games that have done this?  If the geometry of the gun is different, it should fire differently. I guess really, if the gun has a different name, it should fire differently.  What you are basically arguing is "Let just trick the filthy casuals, they'll never know the difference." which is frankly pretty insulting to the largest percentage of the player base and would look cheap as hell from a development PoV.

The right answer is to not have loads of redundancy in the sandbox.  Better to have a small number of viable weapons with distinct functions and use cases than a bunch of overlapping nonsense.  I think we can all agree on that.  There is no reason to have as many 1.2-1.3 second kill time weapons that only vary in fire rate as H5 has.  Never mind for the Magnum and DMR to exist in the same game with their current mechanics. One thing i think would be cool if you do want to change the look of the gun to an even greater degree than just skins would be "aesthetic mods".  Items you could add that would make it look different (though still recognizable as the base model), even little tchotchke's and shit.  Score-marks on the gun model that go up as you rack up kills. Stuff like that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My take on the utility weapon: The only reason having a handgun as the utility weapon is an issue is because 343 fail to convey its power to the player. The magnum in Halo 5 looks and sound like a pea shooter. Make the magnum look and sound like a MAGNUM. I used to play a lot of Destiny and I never heard people complaining that the handguns killed in less shots than the rifles because the handguns in Destiny are called hand cannons and they look like just that. Make the magnum look badass. Give it a beefy sound. Bring back the classic spinning death animation with a headshot. Make it a three shot projectile that is hard to use with a fast minimum time to kill and an average time to kill that is around twice as long.

How Halo 6 should play: It should play like both CE and H2/3. It should have two ranked play lists.

Team arena (or whatever you want to call it): 4v4. Objective. Has a spawn system like H2/H3. Focus is on symmetrical maps. Power ups / power weapons are on static timers.

Doubles: 2v2. Slayer. Has a spawn system like CE. Focus is on asymmetrical maps. Power ups / weapons on fast static timers that act as in game objectives to keep the game flowing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If ce is #1 halo for you then you suck!

H3 for fucking live more life, more love h3 more than shit ce

Fucking Facts *****

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4