CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I don't know exactly how it would work. Couple options that come to mind, one is a button combo, this may be my least favorite because if it's anytjing like Halo 1 it'll be really easy, you'd have to wait let's say 2 seconds after putting it away.

It could reload automatically, same rule it takes 2 seconds or whatever is deemed "enough". If you pull it back early it won't reload but will have any ammo originally in it.

Last option is an "active reload" sustem like in Gears. For anyone not familiar, a little meter appears and if you hit "reload" at the right time it reloads your weapon quicker and gives you a damage boost. It could trigger when you switch weapons and if you hit the relevant "action" button with the right timing your weapon would reload, otherwise the clip remains the same.

I'm down to hear any other ideas. I think the second or third idea I pitched would be best out of the three I suggested if it was implemented. But I don't know if I'd want it.

Honestly, that sounds like a pretty interesting idea. But I have no idea how i’d like it in practice. Are there any games you’ve played that use backpack reloading?

And I like h3 more Than h1 why? B cause I started with it. You wouldn’t like h1 the way you do if you didn’t start with it

@@Batchford please

• Upvote (+1) 3

And I like h3 more Than h1 why? B cause I started with it. You wouldn’t like h1 the way you do if you didn’t start with it

I also started at H3 and I still think it has the best art style and campaign, but I'm not a blind sheep that thinks it's the perfect game. CE does many things way better than the rest of the series and ignoring these awesome design choices out of spite or "because the animations look terrible" is just stupid.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The ce pistol if it had no spread would make every gun useless(and with nhe summer edition coming that’ll be the proof).

We've been playing without spread for months now. The game plays the same. The only difference is that it is more likely you will finish a kill when you can barely see the enemy now.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

it’s only the old people who want button combos. It’s honestly is. I can already hear the arguments “this is a shooter not a fighting game”.

Most people that still or will play halo came from the halo 3 generation, think for a second of what would work, not all this shit that you know for a fact won’t ever happen. Always seeing stupid shit like button combos pretending they’d be ok with gamers of this age

Ok... you are making the exact same mistakes that caused Halo to fall off a cliff.  "Gamers of this age wouldn't like/they expect X, Y Z" bullshit.  Appealing to the "Modern gamer" is how all the bullshit, convoluted nonsense made it into halo in the first place.

And OF COURSE CE is a little clunky. it came out in 2001 for the love of god.  Nobody, literally NOBODY, is advocating to bring back the clunky bits like jump delay, or the slidey movement animations, or the lack of a HUD showing game progress and shit like that.  But really, if those things ruin your enjoyment of a game that just makes you a shallow gamer.

We aren't advocating for UP, DOWN, X Y X Y BBBBB FINISHING MOVE!!! button combo's here bud.  Simple shit like Meleeing, switching to a lighter weapon then meleeing again would be faster than meleeing twice in a row with the original weapon.  Just how stupid do you think gamers are? Thats hardly hard to understand.  Its just meleeing... switching a weapon... then meleeing again.  All shit that are very normal actions for a halo game since the beginning of Halo time.  And frankly if you think the "modern halo" gamers are the only ones that matter anymore, then in your world they should be fine with button combos. What else do you call A, LB, RS, A, LS, LS, LS, LB ?  That's a fucking halo 5 button combo just to make a simple jump.  The type of shit you have to do in quick succession, repeatedly, just to move around the map adequately even at lower levels otherwise you are basically limiting yourself to 2, circuituous routes around the map.  At really high levels this has been replaced by spring jumping with most players executing it by pulling up the settings menu mid jump.  And BTW before you get all confused, i am not advocating for that as a good thing, im pointing out the ridiculousness of your argument.  The mechanical complexity in this game to simply move around the map even at the lower levels is fucking ridiculous and raises the skill floor considerably while also making playing at higher level a chore.  Something like BYB doesn't artificially make the game harder for new or lower level players. Its not something that would be required to play the game adequately and intelligently, and would have a relatively niche use case.  

The things we are trying to advocate for here arent terribly drastic deviations from the Halo 3 formula that you love so much. Most would be subtle changes that new players don't need to know right away to still just play.  A little more depth in a bunch of areas of the game (depth =/= complex) isn't something anyody should be arguing against nor is a little more individual player agency.  That's just stupid.  Its kind of hard for me to reconcile why you think that Reach V7 was so good (it was pretty good) yet also rail against the ideas being proposed in here.  

@@Silos pretty much covered everything else i wanted to go over, so just reread that.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Honestly, that sounds like a pretty interesting idea. But I have no idea how i’d like it in practice. Are there any games you’ve played that use backpack reloading?

I used to love nade-reloading in H2. talk about a game where you could shoot endlessly and it was awesome. Between nade reloading and BXR reloading you could go entire games without having a standard reload animation.

That said though.. i think reloading is good.  Its a form or resource management that just becomes a chore when your spawn weapons don't have deep enough magazines.  The H5 magnum needs like 3 more bullets per mag and it would be fine OR to be a 4sk. If you can't survive a reload after shooting enough bullets to kill 3 players, you probably shouldn't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok... you are making the exact same mistakes that caused Halo to fall off a cliff. "Gamers of this age wouldn't like/they expect X, Y Z" bullshit. Appealing to the "Modern gamer" is how all the bullshit, convoluted nonsense made it into halo in the first place.

And OF COURSE CE is a little clunky. it came out in 2001 for the love of god. Nobody, literally NOBODY, is advocating to bring back the clunky bits like jump delay, or the slidey movement animations, or the lack of a HUD showing game progress and shit like that. But really, if those things ruin your enjoyment of a game that just makes you a shallow gamer.

We aren't advocating for UP, DOWN, X Y X Y BBBBB FINISHING MOVE!!! button combo's here bud. Simple shit like Meleeing, switching to a lighter weapon then meleeing again would be faster than meleeing twice in a row with the original weapon. Just how stupid do you think gamers are? Thats hardly hard to understand. Its just meleeing... switching a weapon... then meleeing again. All shit that are very normal actions for a halo game since the beginning of Halo time. And frankly if you think the "modern halo" gamers are the only ones that matter anymore, then in your world they should be fine with button combos. What else do you call A, LB, RS, A, LS, LS, LS, LB ? That's a fucking halo 5 button combo just to make a simple jump. The type of shit you have to do in quick succession, repeatedly, just to move around the map adequately even at lower levels otherwise you are basically limiting yourself to 2, circuituous routes around the map. At really high levels this has been replaced by spring jumping with most players executing it by pulling up the settings menu mid jump. And BTW before you get all confused, i am not advocating for that as a good thing, im pointing out the ridiculousness of your argument. The mechanical complexity in this game to simply move around the map even at the lower levels is fucking ridiculous and raises the skill floor considerably while also making playing at higher level a chore. Something like BYB doesn't artificially make the game harder for new or lower level players. Its not something that would be required to play the game adequately and intelligently, and would have a relatively niche use case.

The things we are trying to advocate for here arent terribly drastic deviations from the Halo 3 formula that you love so much. Most would be subtle changes that new players don't need to know right away to still just play. A little more depth in a bunch of areas of the game (depth =/= complex) isn't something anyody should be arguing against nor is a little more individual player agency. That's just stupid. Its kind of hard for me to reconcile why you think that Reach V7 was so good (it was pretty good) yet also rail against the ideas being proposed in here.

@@Silos pretty much covered everything else i wanted to go over, so just reread that.

guess when I said modern gamer I meant the gamers that still “would” play halo. Also you’re advocating for frustrating experiences because someone turning the tables by implementing some weird button combo is asinine in and out of itself. Look I like button combos I think they’re neat but I do know the majority today would be pissed at them thus why my argument is so anti old school. And really? You’re not asking for all that buggy shit when you have absolutely no idea how different CE would play if those were fixed? Because I bet you a hundred dollars it play significantly different from what you’re used too.

I’m kinda curious this is off topic what game out there is projectile and has no random mechanics like bloom spread or recoil?

• Downvote (-1) 1

lol if anything CE probably play like reach v7. Like im actually curious what about v7 was bad at all? Like it was not “easy” for the majority it still took a whole lot of skill to play. Explain to me how it’s not just as good as h1 or 2 without mentioning button combos which were just glitches players discovered. Because it seems to me without these button combos y’all probably would hate these games.

Strong nades, shellshock, and fall damage + its slow down effect were probably v7's biggest flaws. Nothing major but they're still there.

The only one I've played is Halo 1, which uses the button combo way of hitting "XXY" and your reload glitches and will continue as you switch weapons. You still wait out the full animation time, but you can do whatever you want with your other weapon before switching back, or you can switch back early to cancel the reload. I like that it keeps the action going while forcing you to switch styles, but the button combo requires no strict timing, so I'm wondering if it would be better if it was just automatic. For clarification, it was definitely a glitch though.

Maybe it would only work well with Halo 1 though since the limited weapon set meant if you switched you'd be with a close range weapon, a really hard long range weapon, or rockets. You wouldn't switch and get a pistol variant like Halo 5.

lol if anything CE probably play like reach v7. Like im actually curious what about v7 was bad at all?

I love Reach v7 but it is not without its fair share of problems:

• DMR kills too slow at 1.6s. This is the longest TTK for a starting weapon in Halo history outside of the pre-patch H4 BR (5 shot BRs lol 343)
  • DMR has too much aim assist. Not as bad as H2/4/5 but it's still excessive
  • The Sniper is way too easy, especially the headshot hitbox
  • Nades are too strong for how easy they are to use and for how slow players move. And the fucking BEEEEP sound every time you get hit by one is fucking stupid.
  • Strafing is utter garbage
  • Not a gameplay issue, but the map pool is very limited and Forge maps are a straight eye sore in Reach with the grey everywhere and the lack of antialiasing coupled with excessive edges on every god damn texture
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Strong nades, shellshock, and fall damage + its slow down effect were probably v7's biggest flaws. Nothing major but they're still there.

you obviously never played v7 since there was no fall damage, strong Grenades(this coming from the CE purist) , shellshock?
  • Downvote (-1) 1

<p>

I love Reach v7 but it is not without its fair share of problems:

• DMR kills too slow at 1.6s. This is the longest TTK for a starting weapon in Halo history outside of the pre-patch H4 BR (5 shot BRs lol 343)
  • DMR has too much aim assist. Not as bad as H2/4/5 but it's still excessive
  • The Sniper is way too easy, especially the headshot hitbox
  • Nades are too strong for how easy they are to use and for how slow players move. And the fucking BEEEEP sound every time you get hit by one is fucking stupid.
  • Strafing is utter garbage
  • Not a gameplay issue, but the map pool is very limited and Forge maps are a straight eye sore in Reach with the grey everywhere and the lack of antialiasing coupled with excessive edges on every god damn texture
too much aim assist? Do people here believe h1 aim assist is that low?

Bruh most couldn’t snipe for crap in reach though it’s hitbox could of been lower

Strafing is garbage? Clearly you were god at the game because there were plenty of strafes that were very effective. Grenades again you’re playing h1 and do not act like grenading an opponent is that hard when it’s not.

As for the last one that is because of hardware limitations because h4 forge had that as well.

motherfucker did you play reach v7 individual skill was an extremely beneficial component of that game. It wasn’t h3 where you needed to team shot non stop to get a Damn kill. Hell you could carry a team to victory in reach by yourself because of your skill. And you want to make a bet I can tell you what CE fucked up on? It’s not smooth, like at all. The animations and jumping are buggy as shit. The ce pistol if it had no spread would make every gun useless(and with nhe summer edition coming that’ll be the proof) the grenades are op as hell, and the only excuse for them being strong like that is powerful utility so it’s ok(that’s just bs). CE did not do everything right it’s just in your minds it did with no backing by any real evidence it’s just you say the words easy then call it fact.

Also to arglactable that assumption was from the numerous tournaments I have watched not clips on reddit.

I joined this forums since it’s a forum of halo fans who don’t like this sprint bullshit and spartan abilities. It just so happens it’s full of halo 1 diehards who created halo2sucks.com.

It’s loke no one here has a clue that their ideas suck and the majority wouldn’t like in halo since you’re doing what h5 did and make it too competitive(yes h5 is too competitive that game is no way a casual game whatsoever) . Know that the majority don’t see CE as the god of halo games. You are in a minority that’s a favt And part of the reason is because most have families probably, and don’t play video games like they used too.

Did reiku78 make a new account? You're hilarious. :laughing:

I never claimed it did EVERYTHING right. I simply made the statement that compared to all the other Halo's mp it did the most right and was the most skillful.

And that's because you and many other don't understand the depth of the game. It's okay if you don't like it. That's not what I'm trying to persuade you to do.

Maybe try putting your bias for Halo 3 aside for a second and learning a thing or two about CE other than it having an "OP pistol". This is coming from the biggest H3 dickrider on the forums, mother fucker.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Did reiku78 make a new account? You're hilarious. :laughing:

I never claimed it did EVERYTHING right. I simply made the statement that compared to all the other Halo's mp it did the most right and was the most skillful.

And that's because you and many other don't understand the depth of the game. It's okay if you don't like it. That's not what I'm trying to persuade you to do.

Maybe try putting your bias for Halo 3 aside for a second and learning a thing or two about CE other than it having an "OP pistol". This is coming from the biggest H3 dickrider on the forums, mother fucker.

most skillful yeah I’ll disagree with that one, and no it definitely didn’t do most right. If anything h2 did more right.
  • Downvote (-1) 3

most skillful yeah I’ll disagree with that one, and no it definitely didn’t do most right. If anything h2 did more right.

Then explain. Because with your lack of explanation in all of your responses it seems like you're just throwing your opinion out there as fact. H3 and v7 were not the best. Get over it.

I could sit here and refute every point that you try to make, but I'm off to work.

guess when I said modern gamer I meant the gamers that still “would” play halo. Also you’re advocating for frustrating experiences because someone turning the tables by implementing some weird button combo is asinine in and out of itself. Look I like button combos I think they’re neat but I do know the majority today would be pissed at them thus why my argument is so anti old school. And really? You’re not asking for all that buggy shit when you have absolutely no idea how different CE would play if those were fixed? Because I bet you a hundred dollars it play significantly different from what you’re used too.

I’m kinda curious this is off topic what game out there is projectile and has no random mechanics like bloom spread or recoil?

You can't be serious.... BYB is... weird? Melee... switch... melee... is weird or hard?  You keep saying "Majority today" like everybody is fucking moronic troglodyte. These things require slightly more thinking, but aren't mechanically complex beyond what normal gameplay is for Halo.  The "you have no idea how it would play without all the buggy shit" comment is misguided.  If you identify a problem with a game (eg. jump delay and sliding animations) you correct those for the next iteration.  Its not exactly a leap to say that CE would be more comfortable to play with those things fixed.  Thinking fixes like that would totally change the game is asinine. They are essentially quality of life fixes.  That whole argument is really a cop-out that you can throw around to dismiss any ideas that don't fit neatly into your world view (or game view in this case) without the need to present any actual logic or evidence that its true.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I mean I don't really know how anyone can complain about CE movement and then pretend like v7 Reach didn't have an awful strafe and floor sliding movement feelings because of the base movement speed increase. We could talk about the only good maps being forge maps or creek from H2 and the rest of it being some hot garbage like the millions of other forge maps or Zealot/Countdown.

I'd agree that the DMR without bloom was actually an enjoyable weapon but the rest of that game was ass. I'd play H3 any day of the week over it if given LAN or a decent connection.

• Upvote (+1) 2

lol if anything CE probably play like reach v7. Like im actually curious what about v7 was bad at all? Like it was not “easy” for the majority it still took a whole lot of skill to play. Explain to me how it’s not just as good as h1 or 2 without mentioning button combos which were just glitches players discovered. Because it seems to me without these button combos y’all probably would hate these games.

Halo 2 compared to Reach V7 is whatever. H2 had better on disc maps, Reach V7 had, in my opinion, a better weapon spawn system.

In Halo 1 if the button combos were patched out the game would be just as good. They honestly don't change much. Finally I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but these are some quick things that I notice about the two...

Based on your comment, I'm interpreting it as "why do you think Halo 1 is harder than Reach V7". First of all, Halo 1 has two aspects that make it harder just from an aiming level. It has less aim assist, and it has "projectile" weapons, meaning you have to take travel time of the bullet into account where in Reach your bullet hits instantly unless it's a plasma weapon or explosive. These two things immediately make the game harder from just an aiming perspective.

If we're looking at Reach's competitive settings, I feel it's best to look at Halo 1's competitive settings, which is usually played 2v2. The spawn system in Halo 1 is perfect for 2v2. The "easy to explain" way is you'll spawn at one of the spawn points your teammate is close to. If they're not close to any spawn point or if they're dead, you'll get a random spawn that'll spawn you at potentially any spawn point around the map. This means you as an individual have a lot of power to secide where your teammate will spawn. Stand underneath a spawn on Prisoner and they can spawn above you, helping you take back map control. Stand near a wall on Hang Em High and give your teammate a random to (usually) a different part of the map to setup a flank. Battling in shotgun room on Chill Out and rockets are about to be up, hug the wall and hopefully spawn your teammate in rocket room. Teammate dies but you want to push as a team for the next fight, stand close to any spawn point and they'll spawn there with you. At the same time don't be predictable. I played against Ogre 2 on prisoner about a month ago. He killed my teammate, saw where I was and saw where I was trying to spawn my teammate and instead of killing me, he waited and spawn killed my teammate, then as I was trying to get to a new position he watched me and killed my teammate again, then he killed me before I got away. He got three points instead of one because he was better at abusing the spawn system than I was. In Reach you can influence spawns, which is still hard but if you don't think about it, your teammate will spawn safely a fair amount of the time. In Halo 1 you force them, which means against good players you will end up in a lot of sticky situations. Watching good players it doesn't seem this way because they're good at forcing spawns so they frequently give safe spawns, but once you play against them you realize how bad you are at it as you lose 50-7 because of it.

Then there's weapon times. First of all, you're encouraged to use a timer in Halo 1, making it more accessible. Technically this makes the game easier, but only marginally. Weapons and powerups come up a lot faster in Halo 1 which means you have to be more aggressive more often. In Sanctuary Reach V7 you have to worry about weapons and pushing for them every two minutes, if you lose the rush for weapons, you play defensively for two minutes until you take control or once the new stuff is about to come up. In Halo 1, new power items are up at least every minute. Which means you have constant map movement instead of standing still in power positions with power weapons.

Then you have the ability to nade weapons and powerups to have them move to another part of the map. Precisely placing grenades helps you to retake map control after losing it.

Then you have a powerful pistol, so even if you lose control, you and a teammate still stand a chance at retaking where in Reach it's harder not because shooting is hard but because it takes a long time to kill. Just compare Damnation to Pennance, both are the same map but Pennance plays increidbly slow, this is because of slow power item cycles and weak individual power. This isn't really a skill or depth thing, it's just fun.

In H1 you have "hitstun" so the plasma rifle will slow down your opponent, which helps take down overshield or rockets if you can get a flank. You're rewarded for getting close and behind the player.

You also have quick camo, which a designer has said it was on purpose and not a glitch, which isn't hard to do but encourages you to have only one non-close range weapon to make sure you can't just sit with sniper and rockets. For the uninformed, quick camo is when you switch to AR, shotgun, plasma pistol, or plasma rifle after firing a different wealon, or bt simply firing the previously mentioned weapons you will cloak considerably faster.

Are you thinking of MCC Halo 1 when you say there's lots of aim assist? Sniping is considerably easier in MCC Halo 1 compared to original, shooting your pistol is also a lot easier but bad hit detection makes it seem hard still.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 2 compared to Reach V7 is whatever. H2 had better on disc maps, Reach V7 had, in my opinion, a better weapon spawn system.

In Halo 1 if the button combos were patched out the game would be just as good. They honestly don't change much. Finally I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but these are some quick things that I notice about the two...

Based on your comment, I'm interpreting it as "why do you think Halo 1 is harder than Reach V7". First of all, Halo 1 has two aspects that make it harder just from an aiming level. It has less aim assist, and it has "projectile" weapons, meaning you have to take travel time of the bullet into account where in Reach your bullet hits instantly unless it's a plasma weapon or explosive. These two things immediately make the game harder from just an aiming perspective.

If we're looking at Reach's competitive settings, I feel it's best to look at Halo 1's competitive settings, which is usually played 2v2. The spawn system in Halo 1 is perfect for 2v2. The "easy to explain" way is you'll spawn at one of the spawn points your teammate is close to. If they're not close to any spawn point or if they're dead, you'll get a random spawn that'll spawn you at potentially any spawn point around the map. This means you as an individual have a lot of power to secide where your teammate will spawn. Stand underneath a spawn on Prisoner and they can spawn above you, helping you take back map control. Stand near a wall on Hang Em High and give your teammate a random to (usually) a different part of the map to setup a flank. Battling in shotgun room on Chill Out and rockets are about to be up, hug the wall and hopefully spawn your teammate in rocket room. Teammate dies but you want to push as a team for the next fight, stand close to any spawn point and they'll spawn there with you. At the same time don't be predictable. I played against Ogre 2 on prisoner about a month ago. He killed my teammate, saw where I was and saw where I was trying to spawn my teammate and instead of killing me, he waited and spawn killed my teammate, then as I was trying to get to a new position he watched me and killed my teammate again, then he killed me before I got away. He got three points instead of one because he was better at abusing the spawn system than I was. In Reach you can influence spawns, which is still hard but if you don't think about it, your teammate will spawn safely a fair amount of the time. In Halo 1 you force them, which means against good players you will end up in a lot of sticky situations. Watching good players it doesn't seem this way because they're good at forcing spawns so they frequently give safe spawns, but once you play against them you realize how bad you are at it as you lose 50-7 because of it.

Then there's weapon times. First of all, you're encouraged to use a timer in Halo 1, making it more accessible. Technically this makes the game easier, but only marginally. Weapons and powerups come up a lot faster in Halo 1 which means you have to be more aggressive more often. In Sanctuary Reach V7 you have to worry about weapons and pushing for them every two minutes, if you lose the rush for weapons, you play defensively for two minutes until you take control or once the new stuff is about to come up. In Halo 1, new power items are up at least every minute. Which means you have constant map movement instead of standing still in power positions with power weapons.

Then you have the ability to nade weapons and powerups to have them move to another part of the map. Precisely placing grenades helps you to retake map control after losing it.

Then you have a powerful pistol, so even if you lose control, you and a teammate still stand a chance at retaking where in Reach it's harder not because shooting is hard but because it takes a long time to kill. Just compare Damnation to Pennance, both are the same map but Pennance plays increidbly slow, this is because of slow power item cycles and weak individual power. This isn't really a skill or depth thing, it's just fun.

In H1 you have "hitstun" so the plasma rifle will slow down your opponent, which helps take down overshield or rockets if you can get a flank. You're rewarded for getting close and behind the player.

You also have quick camo, which a designer has said it was on purpose and not a glitch, which isn't hard to do but encourages you to have only one non-close range weapon to make sure you can't just sit with sniper and rockets. For the uninformed, quick camo is when you switch to AR, shotgun, plasma pistol, or plasma rifle after firing a different wealon, or bt simply firing the previously mentioned weapons you will cloak considerably faster.

Are you thinking of MCC Halo 1 when you say there's lots of aim assist? Sniping is considerably easier in MCC Halo 1 compared to original, shooting your pistol is also a lot easier but bad hit detection makes it seem hard still.

tbh the spawn system you explained is shitty because it was way too easy for him to spawn kill. but I can agree with everything else though. The long kill times of reach dmr do separate the game because now you can’t do much against power weapons. And couldn’t one reason mcc is easier to aim because 1. 60fps(when Games are smoother they’re a lot easier to aim in, for example unless it’s 120-140fps I can’t aim in fortnite on pc) and 2.the superior controller analog sticks of the Xbox one controller. It’s easier to aim with an Xbox one controller(least for me) than a 360 controller(this controller far surpasses the OG Xbox controller in almost every way) . Like I’m simply pointing that out.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don’t like that spawn system of spawn near your teammate continuously(there’s a reason they got rid of it because of the constant spawn killing. I learned how it worked the first moments I played doubles on the game

I mean I don't really know how anyone can complain about CE movement and then pretend like v7 Reach didn't have an awful strafe and floor sliding movement feelings because of the base movement speed increase. We could talk about the only good maps being forge maps or creek from H2 and the rest of it being some hot garbage like the millions of other forge maps or Zealot/Countdown.

I'd agree that the DMR without bloom was actually an enjoyable weapon but the rest of that game was ass. I'd play H3 any day of the week over it if given LAN or a decent connection.

so when was the last time you played reach?

tbh the spawn system you explained is shitty because it was way too easy for him to spawn kill. but I can agree with everything else though. The long kill times of reach dmr do separate the game because now you can’t do much against power weapons. And couldn’t one reason mcc is easier to aim because 1. 60fps(when Games are smoother they’re a lot easier to aim in, for example unless it’s 120-140fps I can’t aim in fortnite on pc) and 2.the superior controller analog sticks of the Xbox one controller. It’s easier to aim with an Xbox one controller(least for me) than a 360 controller(this controller far surpasses the OG Xbox controller in almost every way) . Like I’m simply pointing that out.

I definitely understand if people don't like the spawn system. I enjoy it because I like having that much control. I was playing against players far superior to me in that instance, but when I play people my level it's a lot more rare for them to be spawn killed. In the same way when top players play each other it sometimes happens but it's a lot more rare than when I played.

I don't like it for 4v4 very much, at least for nerdy competitive 4v4, since if all four players spawn together they can get spawn killed repeatedly while trying to get somebody to escape. But there are some 4v4 Halo 1 players around here who disagree with me so I may just be bad at escaping those situations.

It can definitely be frustrating at times, especially if you're playing with somebody who doesn't get the spawn system, and I get why it hasn't returned.

so when was the last time you played reach?

Honestly? I'm not sure at this point. I tried it when it first went backwards compatible but it was still pretty bad frame rate/lag/shader wise so I wouldn't really want to count that but aside from that the last time I seriously played it was for testing/creating the v7 gametypes probably. I honestly just thought Reach was bad from the start and while v7 was a vast improvement over default Reach I wouldn't have really called it a good game. Developers just left us with almost nothing and it was filled with compromises like an increased base movement speed that felt a little ice skatey because the alternative was leaving sprint in (trash) or walking around enormous maps slowly (also trash). There's a reason we played on tons of forge maps over the games lifetime and its because bungie basically provided a couple of mediocre maps and A LOT of really bad ones. Reach is probably what enabled games like Halo 4/5 to even feel remotely like a Halo game because they just tanked the franchise with it. The v7 settings were basically an attempt at removing as much of Reach specific changes/additions as possible while still having some appeal to players that started with that game if that hints at anything lol

Something semi related to all of that is how much better it felt back then as far as testing gametypes. The guy that originally reached out to me in particular actually passed away, which is really sad, but the idea that they would go out and find people on the forums and have real discussions and play tests felt really good because you could actually get things fixed/changed and have a real talk about it rather than where we ended up lately where it feels like nobody is really listening a lot of the time

• Upvote (+1) 3