CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Man, I was trying to be nice, how can you turn around and do me like that?

Yes an individual could carry a game in Reach V7, or Halo 3, or Halo 5, or even Halo 4. Montages wouldn't be cool if it wasn't possible to get disgusting clips. The issue is that it loses a bit of coolness when a lot of people can get similar clips. Getting a crossmap no scope was big deal in Halo 1, 2, or 3. In Reach it was cool but it wasn't major. In Halo 5 it's not worth recording. Yes one person can dominate, but it doesn't feel flashy anymore.

And yes, the game is old so animations are wonky, if the game came out today that would all be patched no doubt about it.

The pistol is strong, but spread is pretty minimal already. All of the relevant weapons will remain relevant. Good players will still usually drop their pistol and keep their AR for quick camo. Rockets will still be used. Plasma rifle will still be used for flanks. Sniper will still be used on hang em high and damnation. Nothing is going to change other than one out of one hundred fights won't be lost due to randomness.

No Halo 1 isn't perfect. I personally really enjoy it competitively for 2v2 but don't enjoy it competitively 4v4, goofing around in 4v4 is still a blast though. Other players on this board have said they disagreed with me, that's fine. Everybody here can find at least one thing they don't like about Halo 1 I can guarantee that.

Also most people don't care about Halo at all anymore. Even look at this forum, a lot of these people started following competitive Halo at Halo 4 or later. Soon Halo 3 will not be the "generational game" of people on the internet, it'll be Fortnite or PubG. So yes Halo 3 is the one in your circle, with the people you interact with, but that will fade in the same way people in my circles no longer think about Duke Nukem 3D like I do. Most of the new Halo players only know Halo for ability Halo, in the same way during Halo 3 there was a lot of players who thought of Halo as the button combo game. If you can fight for non-ability Halo, we should be able to fight for the Halo we enjoy most as well.

I'll make one last statement, and I honestly believe it's something that everybody on this forum values at least a bit and it's one reason why Halo 1 is so well respected. Out of all of the games, Halo 1 is one of the easiest to just jump in and play. There's a lot of goofy maps if you want to run around just for fun. There's not many weapons, and the timings for the weapons is easy to learn. The controls are easy, moving is literally just holding the direction you want to go, there's not a ton of "features" like sprint, clamber, prone, etc. You can teach somebody the basics very quickly, probably faster than any other Halo, and they can jump in and start having fun. But the twist is, Halo 1 has so many "rich" elements, more than any other Halo in my opinion. Learning the spawns makes the game ten times deeper, learning to nade weapons makes the game ten times deeper, learning predictive routes for randoms and getting as many powerups/weapons as possible makes the game ten times deeper. All of this sounds "easy" in theory, but some of this is still developing to this day and the game continues to grow in "richness". Halo 3 is also fairly easy to learn. But now you have four times the amount of weapons, equipment which is frustrating to play against, slow movement, confusing timing system for weapons, a starting weapon that sucks. But once you get past all of that, you're left with Halo 1 but with less "rich" elements to develop. You're left with a game that's fun, but it doesn't scratch the same itches that Halo 1 does.

I only got rude because of that snarky comment that I don’t like individual empowerment. And yes it wasn’t necessary for you to say that bs because I’m not hopping on the h1 train.and getting a cross map no scope in reach was sick af tf you mean? I liked reach for v7 mostly and in my eyes it’s yhe perfect version of halo. It was fast individual empowerment. Good utility weapon. Just great in every way. And the same could be said for h3 anyone could pick it up and have fun. Hells that ended after reach since even reach that was possible

And I like h3 more Than h1 why? B cause I started with it. You wouldn’t like h1 the way you do if you didn’t start with it

• Downvote (-1) 2

And I like h3 more Than h1 why? B cause I started with it. You wouldn’t like h1 the way you do if you didn’t start with it

halo 3 is my favorite but whether or not that's the case, halo CE can be argued as being better designed. No one said you have to like the best thing out there, you don't even have to like good things.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I only got rude because of that snarky comment that I don’t like individual empowerment. And yes it wasn’t necessary for you to say that bs because I’m not hopping on the h1 train.and getting a cross map no scope in reach was sick af tf you mean? I liked reach for v7 mostly and in my eyes it’s yhe perfect version of halo. It was fast individual empowerment. Good utility weapon. Just great in every way. And the same could be said for h3 anyone could pick it up and have fun. Hells that ended after reach since even reach that was possible

I think that you think I'm somebody else. I never made a comment about individual empowerment, in fact most people here could vouch that I usually claim most Halo games are harder than people give them credit for.

Anyway, it sounds like the conversation is over then. I'm fine with the fact you enjoy Halo 3 the most, I was just hoping you would be open to understanding why Halo 1 is so well respected in this corner of the internet. Based on your response to me though it sounds like you're ready to move on.

---------------

Question to anybody, would you be interested in Halo 6 having an "official" backpack reload? I liked it originally because you could keep action going by using a different weapon. But if we have four or five potential utility weapons I'm not sure if I'd want it. Constantly shooting by switching BR and carbine doesn't sound as interesting as BR to sniper and back to BR.

I think that you think I'm somebody else. I never made a comment about individual empowerment, in fact most people here could vouch that I usually claim most Halo games are harder than people give them credit for.

Anyway, it sounds like the conversation is over then. I'm fine with the fact you enjoy Halo 3 the most, I was just hoping you would be open to understanding why Halo 1 is so well respected in this corner of the internet. Based on your response to me though it sounds like you're ready to move on.

---------------

Question to anybody, would you be interested in Halo 6 having an "official" backpack reload? I liked it originally because you could keep action going by using a different weapon. But if we have four or five potential utility weapons I'm not sure if I'd want it. Constantly shooting by switching BR and carbine doesn't sound as interesting as BR to sniper and back to BR.

Does this mean that YY immediately replenishes the ammo in your startling weapon?

Does this mean that YY immediately replenishes the ammo in your startling weapon?

I don't know exactly how it would work. Couple options that come to mind, one is a button combo, this may be my least favorite because if it's anytjing like Halo 1 it'll be really easy, you'd have to wait let's say 2 seconds after putting it away.

It could reload automatically, same rule it takes 2 seconds or whatever is deemed "enough". If you pull it back early it won't reload but will have any ammo originally in it.

Last option is an "active reload" sustem like in Gears. For anyone not familiar, a little meter appears and if you hit "reload" at the right time it reloads your weapon quicker and gives you a damage boost. It could trigger when you switch weapons and if you hit the relevant "action" button with the right timing your weapon would reload, otherwise the clip remains the same.

I'm down to hear any other ideas. I think the second or third idea I pitched would be best out of the three I suggested if it was implemented. But I don't know if I'd want it.

---------------

I’m sorry I can’t see why it’s so respected. From playing it both on OG box and mcc it’s not what I’d call the best. I feel like it’s what everyone says to us classic fans it’s just nostalgia. My own personal perspective has defined my opinion of ce. If this were h2 then I could perfectly understand why one would deem it superior to halo 3 in many ways but as for halo 1 I cannot. I have seen gameplay of tournaments and it’s not that fun to watch(though part of this comes from split screening when there’s no need for it at all since CE is duos where all you need is 4 Xbox’s and 4 cubed tvs(I know ce doesn’t work well on hd TVs so you’ve gotta use those old cubed TVs which you can get at a pawn shop for ten bucks. But besides from that the movement looks so ugly and nasty it causes a sick feeling. From my personal perspective I can’t see myself not using the pistol. It’s all I need and it’s been most effective. I have used the AR to kill but it was only for clean up and that was all. But I don’t use the needler or plasma rifle since I’ve found no incidents where I need to use them. You need to recognize I can’t understand your love for CE without looking at it as a big puddle of noaslgia since I don’t have the same experience with it as you do. I had non stop fun on halo 3 but I bet even you couldn’t understand the giant love for h3 over halo 1.

---------------

oh yeah it wasn’t you it was Edain

Let’s updgrade the h1 niche weapons and the gameplay style of utility to the halo 3 engine and I’d like to see how different it plays. Tbh halo SPV3 seems to accomplish that, even though it’s just modding CEs og engine which is outdated AF lol

lol you won’t be saying that with the upcoming NHE v4 update. They removed the spread from the pistol and you will see just how op it is. I’ve seen how op it is with hitscan with spread, let’s see how op it is projectile without spread, on crappy movement mechanics. Seriously in this game it looks like you’re sliding.

I mean, given spread's generated by spamfire and can be avoided, they wouldn't need to remove it to show accuracy. And of course making it hitscan will make it much more easy. Because it wasn't natively hitscan. But the CE Magnum's not OP by default.

False, I started in H2 and H1 is the GOAT

And this even further proves my point. Nades are just as lethal in every other game with guns that take like 4x longer to kill with.

So maybe the problem with every other game is the strength of the guns not the strength of the grenades?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes, and one grenade is still outright stronger than it in the span of time it takes to use and will nuke you, lmao. Why a grenade should be anywhere near a utility weapon in terms of optimal strength is beyond me. Let alone the strongest one we've ever had, which makes nade spam the most obnoxious it'll ever be. I'd take Halo 5's over it.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say “in the span of time it takes to use it”. Grenades in CE take one second to explode from the time they come to a complete stop. This doesn’t even count the flight time of the grenade. The magnum takes .6 sec to kill. In fact the magnum kills so quickly that the short time that you can’t shoot while throwing the nade can cost you your life and it often does. If I had a dollar for every time I had shots up on someone who dodged behind cover and threw a nade only to have them emerge from cover and splatter my brains all over while I’m caught with my pants down I’d be swimming in a pool full of dollars while waiting in the respawn screen. Grenades in CE heavily punish passive play and reward aggressive play. Good luck being down shots in a fight and running around the corner and crouching with a shotgun in CE. No, seriously, good luck. I’m not trying to be insulting (trust me I consider myself to be pretty trash at CE) but the way you talk about CE nades sounds like you played a game of Prisoner on MCC against a pair of 50s and got killed by a hundred nades off spawn and then decided to blame the grenades and not your own lack of skill at the game. I actually find it ironic you would find CE’s nades to be the most obnoxious in the series. As someone who’s admittedly bad at all the Halos I can guarantee you I’ve gotten WAY more undeserved kills from nades against people who were clearly better than me in H2-5 than I have ever gotten from nades in CE against players who were clearly better than me. CE nades by far have the largest skill gap of any in the series.

I feel like I’m beating a dead horse here but I seriously can’t stress how integral grenades are to CE. They are an extremely important piece of your toolkit and the game would play completely different without them. Say what you will about their damage or large blast radius but I am absolutely convinced that the grenades in CE only serve to widen the skill gap of the game not decrease it.

• Upvote (+1) 7

lol

Am I misremembering? I remember swiping over somebody while scoped was easy, and scoped sniping in general was. But I swear I can't hit no scopes for the life of me in Halo 2.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I don't know exactly how it would work. Couple options that come to mind, one is a button combo, this may be my least favorite because if it's anytjing like Halo 1 it'll be really easy, you'd have to wait let's say 2 seconds after putting it away.

It could reload automatically, same rule it takes 2 seconds or whatever is deemed "enough". If you pull it back early it won't reload but will have any ammo originally in it.

Last option is an "active reload" sustem like in Gears. For anyone not familiar, a little meter appears and if you hit "reload" at the right time it reloads your weapon quicker and gives you a damage boost. It could trigger when you switch weapons and if you hit the relevant "action" button with the right timing your weapon would reload, otherwise the clip remains the same.

I'm down to hear any other ideas. I think the second or third idea I pitched would be best out of the three I suggested if it was implemented. But I don't know if I'd want it.

What if the game had both a backpack reload and an active reload? You could backpack reload and be able to switch to whatever secondary you have and continue firing until the reload has finished or keep out your utility and try to get an active reload for a faster reload time. I don’t like the idea of a damage boost for active reloads in halo but being a quicker reload I think would actually be really cool. Being shot in the back with a nearly empty magazine, turning around, landing your last three shots and then nailing a quick reload and hitting a final headshot to get a perfect reversal would be sooo satisfying.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say “in the span of time it takes to use it”. Grenades in CE take one second to explode from the time they come to a complete stop. This doesn’t even count the flight time of the grenade. The magnum takes .6 sec to kill. In fact the magnum kills so quickly that the short time that you can’t shoot while throwing the nade can cost you your life and it often does. If I had a dollar for every time I had shots up on someone who dodged behind cover and threw a nade only to have them emerge from cover and splatter my brains all over while I’m caught with my pants down I’d be swimming in a pool full of dollars while waiting in the respawn screen. Grenades in CE heavily punish passive play and reward aggressive play. Good luck being down shots in a fight and running around the corner and crouching with a shotgun in CE. No, seriously, good luck. I’m not trying to be insulting (trust me I consider myself to be pretty trash at CE) but the way you talk about CE nades sounds like you played a game of Prisoner on MCC against a pair of 50s and got killed by a hundred nades off spawn and then decided to blame the grenades and not your own lack of skill at the game. I actually find it ironic you would find CE’s nades to be the most obnoxious in the series. As someone who’s admittedly bad at all the Halos I can guarantee you I’ve gotten WAY more undeserved kills from nades against people who were clearly better than me in H2-5 than I have ever gotten from nades in CE against players who were clearly better than me. CE nades by far have the largest skill gap of any in the series.

I feel like I’m beating a dead horse here but I seriously can’t stress how integral grenades are to CE. They are an extremely important piece of your toolkit and the game would play completely different without them. Say what you will about their damage or large blast radius but I am absolutely convinced that the grenades in CE only serve to widen the skill gap of the game not decrease it.

The Magnum takes 0.6 seconds to kill perfectly, yes. Not on average. No one is getting perfect kills constantly in an optimal environment, and less so in an environment where everyone isn't as skilled, more so nullifying the flaws in nades. And anecdotes don't really change how they nuke you, and have insane power in general. I'm being slightly hyperbolic in a sense, of course. And I don't get where this idea of how my dislike of something in a game comes from how I potentially get shit on by it. It's just a dumb argument and implication. "Oh, you argue against it, so you sound like you're bad". Like, stahp. I may word myself poorly, but I don't need to get shit on to dislike something. 

I'd be interested in hearing how CE is inconsistent.

Forgot to respond to this. What I mean, is mostly in how momentum damage in melee can be stopped by janky or accidental movement, completely fucking over how much power you may think is in a punch. If you run at someone and do aim to punch them but even so much as stop for a half second by any means, all that damage is gone. Or the fact that damage is determined by distance. And there's no exact way to judge that.

For example, I tend to move back when I melee, so I'm out of melee range, to avoid double melees and potentially (If someone just hams the controller) juke someone into meleeing again so I can get a free cleanup. Sometimes I do this before I melee/connect. Just preemptively. This movement in CE killed all momentum I had in a punch, dropped my damage and I didn't even realize I'd moved back before I meleed because the delta between me stopping my forward movement and hitting the melee button felt so instant. But rather than dropping shields, it pushed them just below the 1/4th mark. For an action I had nearly no control over, just being a habitual distancing tactic. 

That, and how a single step can mean the difference between shield dropping and just a near dropped shield melee. Without much distinction, a melee you think may have a full punch to it, may not. And while I hate melee, I'd rather know for sure how much damage my punch will do each time. The idea of momentum adding power is fine, but honestly can just add some inconsistency or vagueness in distance relating to damage output that can be outright stupid or fuck you out of a fight you could've had.

and yet i prefer CE even though i started with Halo 3

woah

• Upvote (+1) 5

and yet i prefer CE even though i started with Halo 3

woah

wow
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The Magnum takes 0.6 seconds to kill perfectly, yes. Not on average. No one is getting perfect kills constantly in an optimal environment, and less so in an environment where everyone isn't as skilled, more so nullifying the flaws in nades. And anecdotes don't really change how they nuke you, and have insane power in general. I'm being slightly hyperbolic in a sense, of course. And I don't get where this idea of how my dislike of something in a game comes from how I potentially get shit on by it. It's just a dumb argument and implication. "Oh, you argue against it, so you sound like you're bad". Like, stahp. I may word myself poorly, but I don't need to get shit on to dislike something.

I’m not saying you are shit. There’s probably a good chance you’re better at CE than me since I know I’m bad and I know nothing about you. I said the way you talk about the grenades in CE sounds like you’re bad. To be fair you did say you were being hyperbolic and that can open you to some harsh criticism. To me, hearing you say that the grenades in CE are spammable nukes is like hearing someone say that the magnum in CE is an OP death cannon. Seeing you call grenades in CE more obnoxious than grenades in H5 with their hitmarkers, damage, and a utility weapon that has a perfect TTK that’s more than twice as long as the utility in CE makes me feel like you must be playing a totally different version of CE than me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Forgot to respond to this. What I mean, is mostly in how momentum damage in melee can be stopped by janky or accidental movement, completely fucking over how much power you may think is in a punch. If you run at someone and do aim to punch them but even so much as stop for a half second by any means, all that damage is gone. Or the fact that damage is determined by distance. And there's no exact way to judge that.

For example, I tend to move back when I melee, so I'm out of melee range, to avoid double melees and potentially (If someone just hams the controller) juke someone into meleeing again so I can get a free cleanup. Sometimes I do this before I melee/connect. Just preemptively. This movement in CE killed all momentum I had in a punch, dropped my damage and I didn't even realize I'd moved back before I meleed because the delta between me stopping my forward movement and hitting the melee button felt so instant. But rather than dropping shields, it pushed them just below the 1/4th mark. For an action I had nearly no control over, just being a habitual distancing tactic. 

That, and how a single step can mean the difference between shield dropping and just a near dropped shield melee. Without much distinction, a melee you think may have a full punch to it, may not. And while I hate melee, I'd rather know for sure how much damage my punch will do each time. The idea of momentum adding power is fine, but honestly can just add some inconsistency or vagueness in distance relating to damage output that can be outright stupid or fuck you out of a fight you could've had.

I'd tend to agree that distance based melee is bad because there really isn't a good way to translate that into something people can understand at a glance other than maybe at the two extremes. The movement part though is honestly a bit more of you complaining about a punishing mechanic because you have habits from other games that are bad in this one. That's more of an individual skill issue rather than a game balance one. You could maybe argue that it doesn't feel good though and some developers would tend to agree and remove it like they did afterwards

I'd tend to agree that distance based melee is bad because there really isn't a good way to translate that into something people can understand at a glance other than maybe at the two extremes. The movement part though is honestly a bit more of you complaining about a punishing mechanic because you have habits from other games that are bad in this one. That's more of an individual skill issue rather than a game balance one. You could maybe argue that it doesn't feel good though and some developers would tend to agree and remove it like they did afterwards

Except that's just one example. My main point being that the mechanic hinges on you moving forward, and some slight deviation you may not notice can kill your ability to perform it. Like moving slightly sideways. Or stopping for a slight second. It just feels like a wind up attack that can be inconsistent, over a consistent, dumb move. It's not like performing the actual action in CE is any different than other Halos, barring how hard or easy it is to hit someone. So it's basically H2-5 melee, but with a wind up that may or may not be consistent, be it by distance or speed, that can either grant or cost you damage in a way that isn't easily translated as you said. I get why the idea's thrown around, I just don't like it in practice necessarily.

I’m not saying you are shit. There’s probably a good chance you’re better at CE than me since I know I’m bad and I know nothing about you. I said the way you talk about the grenades in CE sounds like you’re bad. To be fair you did say you were being hyperbolic and that can open you to some harsh criticism. To me, hearing you say that the grenades in CE are spammable nukes is like hearing someone say that the magnum in CE is an OP death cannon. Seeing you call grenades in CE more obnoxious than grenades in H5 with their hitmarkers, damage, and a utility weapon that has a perfect TTK that’s more than twice as long as the utility in CE makes me feel like you must be playing a totally different version of CE than me.

Yes, but you realize that saying the way I speak about nades makes it sound like I'm bad implies that very thing I'm miffed with, right? And being hyperbolic opening me up to harsh criticism won't make the comment of me being potentially bad as a reason for my dislike of something a good piece of criticism. It's not harsh, necessarily, just a fallacy. Regardless, moving on.

Yes, CE's are more obnoxious. When you're within their guaranteed range for damage, they take your shields out entirely, with the varying factor being how much health they rip from you, which can range from well over half, to none, with your shields being gone. A massive blow in a game with the Magnum, and a slow ass recharge rate. Let's not forget a large blast radius. Halo 5's nades are stupid, but specifically coded so that at the farthest range they can hit you, they only take half of your shields, because they wanted "consistency" in performance. And there's a big difference between being shoved to automatic one hit, over being shoved to a three shot hit. You can still fight in Halo 5 to an extent, especially with janky movement. But being one shot in CE puts you at an insane deficit, even with your powerful Magnum because anyone else just needs to ping you with one shot, whereas you need a (generally) perfect three shot to counter, and the odds that someone won't hit three of their shots on you when they need one, while you need to hit three perfectly are just astronomically low, unless you're a goddamn maniac. That's getting into anecdote territory, but yes, at a base, CE's are so much more obnoxious in sheer damage output and effectiveness.