CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yes. Good, Kelly. Shift the blame away from me. They'll never see it coming when my contrarian anti-Halo sentmients take over the community. Soon everyone will hate essential, defining elements of Halo like pressing a button to instantly punch stuff and throwing nukes across the map to do shitloads of damage to people you can't see. All going as planned.

:simms:

I'm actually very interested to know what you think a Halo game should look like to you? Quake III Arena?

No grenades, no melees, what else?

The dive bomb objectives girl who'd go neggity neg. Teehee. Never again will I jump in a stronghold. Fuck that gametype and what it entails.

Emperor Argatine.

Damn, he must have really broken you. You were like the #1 Halo 5 fan back at launch. Didn't you even say the aiming was fine?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm actually very interested to know what you think a Halo game should look like to you? Quake III Arena?

No grenades, no melees, what else?

No grenades and no melee would be grand. Fuck both of those. Reserve melee for melee weapons, and just make people shoot their guns. On the super intense scale, I hate power ups and power weapons, too. Barring Halo 3's Sniper, Reach's 'nade launcher and the Concussion Rifle. Oh, and vehicle killers like the Laser, but those are BTB things. Those were fine, but rockets (The most prevalent other power weapon) are stupid free kill machines, camo is just dumb in general, and I'm growing more hatred towards OS by the day. I dunno. I want a game where I can just engage someone in a straight gunfight and not have to deal with external bullshit. "Oh, teehee, you died because you couldn't see camo and they got first shot". "HAHAA, you died because you legitimately can't counter rockets and may as well put your controller down over fighting". "Huehuehue, what's that? You enjoy map movement? Have a bunch of nades in cramped corridors. They're hand nukes by the way. #EmpoweringThePlayer"

I also hate juking someone with an OS, and entirely draining the damn thing, dying without a trade, and knowing I could've beat the kid six times over without this dumb power up but simply can't last a battle of attrition against a dude with more shields than I have, no matter my skill. It's just garbage. It happened a few nights ago in Halo 5. A kid just kept picking up OS, and 3 of his 5 engagements with me were decided by him having an OS despite the fact the kid was a Plat I'd matched against (thanks, smurfs), who I openly railed in general gunfights. It just acted as a buffer for him despite the fact he sucked. He can spam me down whereas my best shot at draining the OS is a double melee. And by then I'm dead, assuming I can even close the gap to get two in, before he just three shot beats me down.

And it's not like I can LEARN from that. The only thing I can do is "pick up OS next time" which is all a matter of positioning, map control, etc, and won't be in my control all the time. Especially when I solo queue, teammates anchor spawns, and the like. So I basically die to something I can't always control and isn't boiling down to me being skilless, but me just being outclassed by something people normally don't have, in a situation where I may not always be able to grab it, even if I know when and where it spawns and try to unsuccessfully make moves for it. It's just dumb shit where I get fucked by circumstance, not by my own issues.

Essentially for my version of Halo. I'd make it very basic. Enable and push for proper gunfights. And would stop deciding games and fights over dumb bullshit.

Damn, he must have really broken you. You were like the #1 Halo 5 fan back at launch. Didn't you even say the aiming was fine?

He didn't break me, at all. I fell into this opinion long before I met Arg. And probably.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The funny thing being you taught me more than he did, and you get no credit. HAHAA, get skated on.

bullshit it was all me fuck beast

• Upvote (+1) 1

The funny thing being you taught me more than he did, and you get no credit. HAHAA, get skated on.

I just want my credit man I am tired of being IGNORED
  • Upvote (+1) 1

bullshit it was all me fuck beast

You wish kid. The fake hate is no more. People need to hate the REAL problem. You are no longer the sacrificial lamb fam
  • Upvote (+1) 1

They should make a type of impulse grenade. It could do light damage (half shield maybe) and cause a spartan to be pushed away from the blast. It could be used for grenade jumping and wouldn’t be as risky as making yourself one shot to do a simple grenade jump. You could also string two together to do some really nerdy trick jumps at the risk of being one shot. They could be used on certain parts of the map to get environmental kills by pushing someone off the map. Also give them the unique property of launching power ups / weapons. Design maps like Hang em’ where the sniper spawns in a very exposed location so being able to nade it from a secure position provides a huge advantage. You could even make it so certain things require the use of the impulse nades to secure. Maybe rockets would spawn but would only have two rockets and there is an ammo pack on a platform just off the map with two more that you have to nade to yourself to get. People would go out of their way to pick up these nades on map to be able to do trick jumps or nade things to themselves. This would be something to create more map movement. I think something like this would provide a ton of depth and really raise the skill ceiling while not raising the skill floor. Something where people would be discovering new things for years to come while still being really simple in concept and design. Frags for damage and popping shields, stickies for sticking, and impulse nades for nerdy tricks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did you really need that many paragraphs to relate the content of my character to my dislike of the Halo melee system? Jesus Christ. You're a 30-year-old man. Get a grip. It may shock you to know that I don't care what you think about me as a person solely because you're butt-mad that I bluntly discuss my issues with videogame mechanics you think are sacred. Shockingly, in 5 paragraphs, you constructed not a single counter-argument, because you're throwing a tantrum instead.

How DARE I question the value of anything nostalgia-driven Halo obsessives consider to be core mechanics?! Can't POSSIBLY talk about problems with "classic Halo" gameplay. Oh, no. The only bullshit that you will accept criticism of is post "classic trilogy" additions. Otherwise, clearly, one must not like Halo. So OBVIOUSLY "un-Halo" to suggest that Halo CE's blatantly fucking over-kill frag grenades are a problem, right? They do shit loads of damage, have a GIGANTIC blast radius, and you spawn with 4 of them. But it's CE, so it's off-limits. It's just so "un-Halo" to point out that the only part of them that really requires any brain power or skill is nading weapons and power-ups (which is very cool). Can't tone any of those other things down, though, because that just wouldn't be "Halo."

Go back to grinding for 50s in broken games with no skill matching.

What a predictable response. Lets go sentence by sentence since they're pretty much all wrong.

That post was a boiling over of months of reading your posts and wondering why you spend so much time on a forum for a game you hate at its core. The melee post was just the most recent one.

I'm aware how old I am. I have a grip. I'm doin fine over here.

I imagine you don't care about most things, least of all others' opinion of you. Point out the part of my post where I'm "butt-mad". If you were at all objective about my post history, you would know I routinely discuss my issues with every Halo game. Very little in this franchise is untouchable. Removing grenades and melee though? You're simply playing the wrong game at that point. That should be obvious, but apparently not.

I explicitly stated why i wasn't debating your points, and you still bemoan the fact that I didn't. I don't know what more I can do for you at that point. And that's a pretty low bar for a tantrum. What a shock, hyperbolic insults from arglactable. That never happens.

TIL melee and grenades are "nostalgia driven" and only considered core mechanics by "obsessives". I'm pretty sure everyone would say they're core mechanics. Like, literally every single Halo player anywhere. But if you had even reasonable ideas that weren't obviously intended to turn Halo into a different game altogether, I would be happy to discuss them, as I do every day with anyone on this forum. Talk shit about Boyo all you want, he wasn't advocating to remove grenades and melee and making fun of people for playing an Xbox game with a controller.

Dude, you're ignoring HUGE chunks of my post history to fit your little narrative you're trying to construct in this attack post. It's not even close to accurate. I talk about faults in the original 3 games all the time, and anybody that pays attention on here would back that up. What a ridiculous, yet unsurprising claim from you.

If your argument was "I think CE's frag radius should be reduced by 20%", people would actually have to debate you on that. But you bypass that and go straight to "grenades as an idea are stupid" because apparently you've never needed to kill someone you don't have line of sight on before. You get 4 nades in CE because, as you yourself pointed out, you use them for more things in that game. If you only spawned with 2 in 2v2, you'd never have them when you need them, and it'd be annoying as fuck. But because you don't play the game, you wouldn't know that. Or how to dodge them, apparently.

Go back to sucking shit at literally every Halo game, and then whining on the forums about how they should change everything. Oh wait, you never stopped.

@@Hard Way

As a kid I liked the original trilogy.

As an adult who has experienced several other games since and just has more refined tastes in general...several aspects of the trilogy haven't aged well at all.

I don't think Halo needs to literally become Quake or get a core identity revamp or any of those extremes.  I just think it needs to focus on further improving on everything Halo Ce got right instead of this status quo for the past eleven years of constantly rehashing everything Halo 2 got wrong then throwing awful gimmicks on top.  Halo Ce still holds up today because of the quality of it's design...I honestly don't feel the same about the other Halo games at all.

Since you mentioned ideas on how to improve things, take Ce and:

-Fix the undesirable bugs like jump delay, exiting crouch, models looking the wrong way, etc.

-Add in game clock, forge, file browser, other obvious modern features.

-Increase the weapon switch speed significantly.  Slow weapon switch speed doesn't exactly encourage use of niche weapons when it's usually faster just to stick with the utility and comboing is usually out of the question.

-Remove completely unneeded random spread and bloom mechanics from Sniper, Magnum, Shotgun, Plasma Rifle.

-Give slight buffs and tweaks to the relatively weak covenant weapons.  Like the Plasma Rifle having 25% faster TTK from it's molasses 1s HS / 2s BS TTK, or the Plasma Pistol actually being able to get a kill without overheating...

-Add DMR with Magnum's exact stats and functionality as default spawn weapon.  Nerf Magnum (4sk @ 1.0s) as an alternative spawn weapon for 4v4 modes.

-Reduce grenade blast radius.  I don't mind it but I don't see the harm in nerfing it either, it is a bit ridiculous.

-Reduce grenade self damage so grenade jumping is far more viable.  Have maps incorporate it more.

I could go on and on but that's a start.

Oh, and release the game on PC.

I'm with you on every single one of those.

The second you put a game on an untouchable pedestal is the second conversation ends.

I hope this isn't in reference to me, because it couldn't be further from the truth. I talk about things I would change in every Halo game pretty frequently.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Lmao. Coming from the dude who joins custom lobbies with better players and whines about "unbalanced teams" within 30 seconds before rage quitting. Just keep throwing that tantrum, bud. It's not sad at all.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Lmao. Coming from the dude who joins custom lobbies with better players and whines about "unbalanced teams" within 30 seconds before rage quitting. Just keep throwing that tantrum, bud. It's not sad at all.

Well, they were...like, every single time...that's kind of what it is when every person on one team is better than every person on the other team, every single game, every single lobby. After about the 5th time of it, 30 seconds is about all i need to see.

I wish I would have recorded audio of your literally uninterrupted whining back when we played BTB. Not a single productive, helpful word came out of your mouth, despite talking from bell to bell every game. Your respawn screen was like a Pavlov's Bell that reminded you to bitch about whatever weapon killed you. And then you'd fill the time in between with crying about the movement and the maps and the art style and the vehicles and on and on and on. It was literally non-stop complaining. It would have been impressive if it wasn't so annoying. So you of all people do not get to point fingers at other people's temperaments. 

The only sad thing here is how the only thing you take joy in is talking shit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, they were...like, every single time...that's kind of what it is when every person on one team is better than every person on the other team, every single game, every single lobby. After about the 5th time of it, 30 seconds is about all i need to see.

I wish I would have recorded audio of your literally uninterrupted whining back when we played BTB. Not a single productive, helpful word came out of your mouth, despite talking from bell to bell every game. Your respawn screen was like a Pavlov's Bell that reminded you to bitch about whatever weapon killed you. And then you'd fill the time in between with crying about the movement and the maps and the art style and the vehicles and on and on and on. It was literally non-stop complaining. It would have been impressive if it wasn't so annoying. So you of all people do not get to point fingers at other people's temperaments. 

The only sad thing here is how the only thing you take joy in is talking shit.

I literally hated BTB and I hate Halo 5. I was only playing because everyone else was.

Meanwhile, you only have fun in BTB when you have a full squad stomping, otherwise you spend the entire game bitching about your TEAM, not the game. But, yeah. complaining about the metric shitload of obnoxious bullshit in H5 BTB is just so toxic. I must be bad. THAT'S why I want skill-based gun fights instead of dying to brain dead vehicles and power weapons. Makes perfect sense. If I were good at console FPS games I would have a laundry list of excuses for no-skill bullshit, and actively avoid touching anything resembling current competitive gametypes, right?

But please, continue with the man baby rage. You're the one who made this personal for absolutely no reason. Don't have any real rationale for why overpowered grenades and melee are valuable, skillful elements of Halo gameplay? Quick, better talk shit about my Halo skill (as if I actually care). Take a nap or something and fuck off.

Can we just get a Hardway v. Arglactable 1v1 in HCS settings on like, Truth.

Phantom pistols on waterworks imo

I mean, no real reasons were given for why melees take no skill and why the grenades are overpowered, statements were just made about them. Don't mind me though, I'm just having fun playing Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I literally hated BTB and I hate Halo 5. I was only playing because everyone else was.

Meanwhile, you only have fun in BTB when you have a full squad stomping, otherwise you spend the entire game bitching about your TEAM, not the game. But, yeah. complaining about the metric shitload of obnoxious bullshit in H5 BTB is just so toxic. I must be bad. THAT'S why I want skill-based gun fights instead of dying to brain dead vehicles and power weapons. Makes perfect sense. If I were good at console FPS games I would have a laundry list of excuses for no-skill bullshit, and actively avoid touching anything resembling current competitive gametypes, right?

But please, continue with the man baby rage. You're the one who made this personal for absolutely no reason. Don't have any real rationale for why overpowered grenades and melee are valuable, skillful elements of Halo gameplay? Quick, better talk shit about my Halo skill (as if I actually care). Take a nap or something and fuck off.

You know what I do when I don't enjoy a game? I don't play it. It works pretty great for me.

And, again, your argument is unworthy of debate. You're advocating removing grenades and melee from Halo. That literally isn't even worthy of discussion. Get over yourself.

I wouldn't normally bring up your skill or anyone else's. I'm nothing amazing either, and it comes across as super insecure and usually irrelevant. There are plenty of average players on here with great ideas. But the sheer contrast between your typical performance and what you argue for on the forums is comical. That, and you didn't hesitate to take this argument into the mud, so I followed you there.  I may have made it personal first, but calling out your seeming preference to complain on a forum over doing something you actually enjoy is a valid point. It's valid as fuck. That elephant in the room is your defining characteristic, and it's reasonable to assume that complaining on a forum is what you enjoy. And that's fucking pathetic. So make your biting personal attack like I know you will because you can't help yourself when someone calls you out. It means nothing coming from you.

Back to the ignore list with you. Hopefully someone quotes you if you find it within yourself to make a meaningful contribution to a discussion again. It's the only way I'll read it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I mean, no real reasons were given for why melees take no skill and why the grenades are overpowered, statements were just made about them. Don't mind me though, I'm just having fun playing Halo.

A melee's just a single, simple button press for someone in front of you, that deals more damage in a short time than your starting weapons do. And not a single, simple action like firing a bullet. In the case of a weapon, you at least need to aim, strafe, etc to hit. When you melee, you immediately rip their shields down. Without firing your gun at all, or requiring any skill to get that one shot/kill. It's the epitome of a mindless action bar throwing a nade.

Grenades are mindless rocks you throw around. Hitmarkers certainly are their own issues with nades, but throwing a random nade and making someone one shot is hilariously dumb. Nade spam in general is stupid. Again, it's a weapon that deals more damage than your starting weapons in a shorter span in most cases, and you can have two to four of them, depending on your game, meaning if and when someone does nade spam you, they can just kill you without actually engaging you. You certainly don't need to aim them in most cases, either. Nades are generally nukes. And even the games where they're not are games where they're still super effective.

The worst comes when you're prediction naded by a dude you know didn't see you and just haphazardly naded the spot you were moving to. It makes you one shot, and now you can't fight, while someone knows you're there, down shots and is able to just clean you up. But they didn't get you down by actually engaging you, they just threw a random nade and got you. What an engaging fight. Losing to someone who's skill could range from bottom of the barrel to pro, because nades just insta down your shields and are stupid easy to use.

The issue is damage and easiness, alongside how they just forgo actually fighting someone with your gun, which more so boils into melee, but being double naded is just as infuriating.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I thought it was self evident.

ALxYPJD.png

Regardless of what changes you make to lunge/magnetism, this is what melee as a concept does.  In Halo anyways.

You could make it act like a limited range bullet but that would be pretty much defeating the point.

• Upvote (+1) 2