CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

One of the major things that grinds my gears is when 343 justifies any change with "data". We never see it for ourselves but we are supposed to just agree. A good example of this is when they tried shoving that god awful random spread BRs down our throats with oddball and OVERGROWTH.

One of the major things that grinds my gears is when 343 justifies any change with "data". We never see it for ourselves but we are supposed to just agree. A good example of this is when they tried shoving that god awful random spread BRs down our throats with oddball and OVERGROWTH.

I just get mad that some of the developers or people who speak for them talk down towards people as if they couldn't know better simply because they don't work at 343 or other gaming studios. Not everyone comes off like this but it is definitely a thing. I was an intern at a gaming studio that will not be named before I decided to do something else 6 years ago so I know I'm not totally crazy. It would be one thing if I was trying to critique their raw code. I'd probably never do that unless they did something so badly that even with my limited software engineering experience I could see it and if that happens they have far bigger problems. Its just with stupid stuff like Riptide as a map, all of the insane aim assist on power weapons, the AR being OP, or aiming just feeling bad. I don't know why they did what they did but as someone that's been playing since 01 I definitely know its wrong and in some cases I can break down exactly why. I don't need to have designed the game for 17 years of experience playing specifically Halo and even longer for FPS games to accumulate and tell me when mechanics are broken or why this room is too powerful once you're actually in game. Those are problems that were complained about within the first week of people experiencing them. They probably would write off as "armchair" developer speak and then, years later, actually fix because now they've decided it was a problem. That attitude is insane. Just be humble and listen to people's arguments and reasoning rather than building a wall that tells the developer hes always right no matter what he does. The developer is not always right. The player base does know what it wants. The defining difference between some of the most successful developers and the struggling AAA studios usually isn't even talent. Its having someone who can read the community and pull actionable and well thought out feedback from the fans and then have someone to implement it. As smart as the studio is collectively you can't match the creative power of hundreds of thousands or even millions of people that play the game. They will find something you missed or didn't think of. Harness it and you will do well.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Agreed. That H5 cutscene is so cringy.

people calling things cringy is cringey

We just need a halo game that implements the best of all words.

1. Weapon balance similar to h5 original(look I know niche weapons are nice and all but you gotta look at it outside the competitive aspect of things and look what the majority likes because the majority of people today would say h1 is all pistol and pistol was op. I’ve seen it on waypoint. Facebook twitter etc), and we need to have a good utility weapon though not the pistol which sucked compared to everything else so we got this shitty weapon balance we have now. Tbh h4 weapon balance was Great since the br was dominant(it was the utility weapon) and everything else still was good.

2. Halo reach social experience and customization, the reach customization is the most loved in the series and it’s social ranking was fun. It was nice having different medals and names as we leveled up. Now we’re just doing SR142 which isn’t even fun to get too. There’s no reward for it where in reach you got the badass skull helmet for reaching max rank.

3. A ranking system that works properly with party matching, and resets every 3 months.(look 1-50 we great for its time but the division ranking is better in almost every way it’s just 343 is stupid ass hell and couldn’t figure out how to do it right like every other game).

4. Everything needs to be projectile but spread needs to go for precision weapons(I know all of you will agree on this one)

5. Good level design, the way to do this is look at maps everyone likes in previous halo games and see what they have in common. Play them for example. Let’s list a couple of the best maps.(pit narrows sanctuary) interestingly enough these maps are common in the fact they’re semetrical without a crap ton of sight lines. Heck’s even the assemtrical maps like hang em high and guardian aren’t full of those. Then you got this shitty mess plaza where you’re being hit from 8 different directions where you have to use this clutch thing called thrust just to survive because you can’t figure out where it is you’re being shot from. What I’m trying to say is maps need to be simplistic. Not an over complicated mess.

6. This one is me being as ass, have GOOD aiming mechanics that are fast smooth and responsive! No heavy aim bullshit.

• Downvote (-1) 5

3. A ranking system that works properly with party matching, and resets every 3 months.(look 1-50 we great for its time but the division ranking is better in almost every way it’s just 343 is stupid ass hell and couldn’t figure out how to do it right like every other game).

In regards to the ranking system, i honestly don't give a shit what the front end looks like. The only addition they would need to make to the front end would be some sort of representation of "50+". Otherwise the really important part is the back end. The matchmaking system and smart skill system. I know people hate placement matches but they do serve a number of purposes and need to happen. The schedule they happen on could be different though.

For most of H5s lifespan, rank resets were way too frequent. They should be true seasons and only happen once every 3 months. They also need to lessen the number of ranked lists to 3 or 4. The way it is now honestly cheapens rankings. I would even be ok with something where the only list that has seasonal resets is Team Arena (its HCS, but not with the HCS name so it doesn't turn people off for no reason) and ranks only reset once a year for Slayer, FFA, and doubles.

Anyone saying H1 weapon balance is all pistol is lighting their credibility on fire. Play the fucking game before you talk about it.

I deal with this all the time. "There's no reason to ever use the AR, or pick up the Plasma Rifle." Bitch, you have no idea what you're talking about. People that say that and claim the pistol is OP just don't understand the game at a basic level. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I deal with this all the time. "There's no reason to ever use the AR, or pick up the Plasma Rifle." Bitch, you have no idea what you're talking about. People that say that and claim the pistol is OP just don't understand the game at a basic level. 

Nah, they just understand it at the most basic of levels.

This is why games with a sandbox like CE need some tutorials, or stuff shown off in campaign.

"This is the plasma rifle, landing shots rapidly stuns an opponent making it harder for them to turn. Exceptional against shields."

etc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone saying H1 weapon balance is all pistol is lighting their credibility on fire. Play the fucking game before you talk about it.

To be fair, he did say that the perception among most players is that it's all pistol.  Which is NOT true of the people around here, but of the player population as a whole it kind of is.  I disagree with everything else in that sentence though.  You don't need to make weapon balance the way the majority likes it.  Because frankly, the majority doesn't know or really care.  You don't need to pander to the lowest common denominator.  Make the balance decent, with a good range of weapons that have an inverse Ease-of-use:Lethality ratio and the rest will sort itself out.  Let the players that want an easy weapon find the ones that are easy for them.  Hopefully the lethality will be set accordingly so we don't have another launch AR situation.  You don't need to make them easy AND lethal on purpose and let people spawn with a weapon like that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Unfortunately MCC has helped tarnish people’s memories of Halo 1’s sandbox, what with the easiness of the pistol/sniper and the lack of plasma stun. That and the ridiculously easy “Halo 1 Magnum” in H5. Oh, and the persistent narrative from the developers over the years because they didn’t like the idea of skill differentiation or weapon decisions that made you use your head. Also, don’t forget the community’s idea that longer kill times are more fair because “you have more time to fight back” (i.e. run away and reset the fight).

So, you see, it is hopeless. :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 6

We just need a halo game that implements the best of all words.

1. Weapon balance similar to h5 original

haha-gif-13.gif

• Upvote (+1) 6

I think the reason most people assumes CE's balance is that way is because Halo CE is one of those rare games where as you get better the number of weapons that are viable competively increases. Most games the number of competitively viable weapons/heros decreases as you get better.

CE is what happens when you create a perfectly normal equal-starts FPS but then fuck up all the programming to accidentally make it deep.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've been playing CE on Xbox Live since 2000, I think I know what I'm talking about.

• Upvote (+1) 6

A very large majority of it is Pistol. You can get away with just using that and Rockets with the occasional AR for a BLB. That said, the same is true for any Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Frankly, "one gun game" has never at any point been a good critique. It's not even worth addressing or correcting. Even if it were accurate, it's not describing a real problem. They might as well say "I have a short attention span and need to be doing random shit all of the time or I get bored." So what if only one gun is used, if it's a really satisfying, (ideally) skillful weapon? Oh, no. Every fight in the game is even and largely determined by aim and positioning! How AWFUL.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Lowkey rant. 343i is the only company I've known that has made a competitive FFA playlist, completely nullifying the original settings, and giving us what we want, only to fuck it up by pushing old FFA and new FFA together in some Frankenstein's monster mashup. Yunno, old FFA, which no one asks for. What the fuck do people in charge think when doing these changes?

Lowkey rant. 343i is the only company I've known that has made a competitive FFA playlist, completely nullifying the original settings, and giving us what we want, only to fuck it up by pushing old FFA and new FFA together in some Frankenstein's monster mashup. Yunno, old FFA, which no one asks for. What the fuck do people in charge think when doing these changes?

When the "better FFA" has a population so low it gets outplaced by fucking GRIFBALL, something has to change. I don't think it was the right change no, but it couldn't stay the same.  

Unfortunately FFA in Halo 5 will never be "good".  It's a core mechanics issue that really isn't worth solving until Halo 6.  Halo 6 better have more of a "Games as a service" model.

When the "better FFA" has a population so low it gets outplaced by fucking GRIFBALL, something has to change. I don't think it was the right change no, but it couldn't stay the same.  

Unfortunately FFA in Halo 5 will never be "good".  It's a core mechanics issue that really isn't worth solving until Halo 6.  Halo 6 better have more of a "Games as a service" model.

I mean, FFA in general is always like that. I don't think it'd be the most popular given it's a gametype where people need to rely on themselves over others to help. And I don't think "changing" it to include a shitty old version of FFA that is not only irrelevant but actual garbage helps. If they didn't want it to stay the same, they could've tried narrowing down its weapon and powerup placement. Maybe made it straight Magnums without bullshit power weapons or power ups, given camo's broken, now. Get new Forge maps in meant for FFA. ANYTHING but reverting to old gametypes.

FFA in general won't be good. It's a gametype that basically implies you playing SWAT and not getting into actual engagements, lest you be cleaned up for a sick SWAT-tacular multi-kill by some dude just waiting for your shields to drop. It's like that in every single Halo. Always has been. Couple that with the aforementioned solo nature of it. But even in spite of those issues. HWC FFA was a good step in the right direction. Just needed a bit more of a push to be made more competitive. 

FFA has always been booty. Bring on the Halo Magnums-Only Battle Royale. It would actually be better than FFA ever was.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I mean, FFA in general is always like that. I don't think it'd be the most popular given it's a gametype where people need to rely on themselves over others to help. And I don't think "changing" it to include a shitty old version of FFA that is not only irrelevant but actual garbage helps. If they didn't want it to stay the same, they could've tried narrowing down its weapon and powerup placement. Maybe made it straight Magnums without bullshit power weapons or power ups, given camo's broken, now. Get new Forge maps in meant for FFA. ANYTHING but reverting to old gametypes.

FFA in general won't be good. It's a gametype that basically implies you playing SWAT and not getting into actual engagements, lest you be cleaned up for a sick SWAT-tacular multi-kill by some dude just waiting for your shields to drop. It's like that in every single Halo. Always has been. Couple that with the aforementioned solo nature of it. But even in spite of those issues. HWC FFA was a good step in the right direction. Just needed a bit more of a push to be made more competitive. 

Oh yeah totally agree. It needs more maps, smaller maps, 8 players and no sprint to be any level of enjoyable though. Nothing that Halo 5 can provide.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The "one gun game" criticism has been used for ages by noobs and scrubs in just about every shooter that has ever existed to try and nerf the skilled players weapons of choice and also make themselves feel better about them sucking at using said weapons. The reality is, every FPS at high-level play has a "signature weapon" or a few(max like four weapons) that is the predominant weapon/weapons used for kills by skilled players. If it didn't, the game would be chaos because you wouldn't be able to predict which weapons the other team was going to be using in each niche. It would be like H4 default with ordinance drops and bolt-shot loadouts for a good example and nobody enjoyed playing that mess. Quake III: Arena is probably the best balanced FPS I have played at the top level, but even then its rail,rockets,lg.

There is no FPS that exists where the the majority of the Sandbox is used in high-tier competitive play. Its simply a lazy noob defense mechanism and not the meaning of true balance anyways. The pistol in CE never kept the casual players and scrubs from enjoying the MP, in fact CE MP is a favorite of the casual player as well as the competitive player because the weapon/vehicle balance and higher individual gun skill of weapons like the pistol and sniper, allowed the causal player to enjoy his game and the competitive player to enjoy theirs without butting heads too much. Sounds like true FPS balance to me, not Bungie and 343's convoluted forced weapon balance aimed towards pleasing noobs and gutting the power from skilled individual players in later Halo games.

I think all of the Quake games actually do a good job of making weapons situational. I can recall alot of different times just in QC where the announcer (former pro usually) has gone off on a player during an event for not switching weapons to adapt to the situation.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The "one gun game" criticism has been used for ages by noobs and scrubs in just about every shooter that has ever existed to try and nerf the skilled players weapons of choice and also make themselves feel better about them sucking at using said weapons. The reality is, every FPS at high-level play has a "signature weapon" or a few(max like four weapons) that is the predominant weapon/weapons used for kills by skilled players. If it didn't, the game would be chaos because you wouldn't be able to predict which weapons the other team was going to be using in each niche. It would be like H4 default with ordinance drops and bolt-shot loadouts for a good example and nobody enjoyed playing that mess. Quake III: Arena is probably the best balanced FPS I have played at the top level, but even then its rail,rockets,lg.

There is no FPS that exists where the the majority of the Sandbox is used in high-tier competitive play. Its simply a lazy noob defense mechanism and not the meaning of true balance anyways. The pistol in CE never kept the casual players and scrubs from enjoying the MP, in fact CE MP is a favorite of the casual player as well as the competitive player because the weapon/vehicle balance and higher individual gun skill of weapons like the pistol and sniper, allowed the causal player to enjoy his game and the competitive player to enjoy theirs without butting heads too much. Sounds like true FPS balance to me, not Bungie and 343's convoluted forced weapon balance aimed towards pleasing noobs and gutting the power from skilled individual players in later Halo games.

Fuuck.
  • Upvote (+1) 1