CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

"Games as a service" doesn't inherently mean multiplayer only or f2p. The games I listed offer a variety of approaches and types of content, but the trend is clear. I can't think of a single competitive multiplayer game that has benefited long term from constant sequels. Not one. F2p can be a good option for bringing in a large number of players up-front, but games like Rocket League, Rainbow Six, and even CS:GO are all "premium" products. Warframe is almost entirely PvE.

Want significant single-player/Co-op/PvE periodically? Premium expansion (hey, Blizzard). Even Destiny does that (poorly). Various spin-off games with variations on core gameplay (Halo: Warzone full scale Battlefield rip-off?). There are plenty of options that don't require reinventing the wheel with the core multiplayer suite to justify another full retail console product every 1-3 years.

Just to clarify, I agree with you, I didn't read your earlier post because I didn't have the time to read it until now. I decided to start posting a bit more recently and that sort of involves just impulsively spewing my thoughts onto the forums to create a discussion, I often find that people bring up good points and that helps me to shape a better opinion.

Basically the point of this post is "take my posts with a grain of salt".

...if anyone at 343 ever reads this (lol, of course not)...

Sorry for the rant.

I mean, I did at least read it. So, there's that!

Also, no need to apologize, I rant all the time lol. Plus, Class-12 combat skins are required for community interaction anyway. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I mean, I did at least read it. So, there's that!

Also, no need to apologize, I rant all the time lol. Plus, Class-12 combat skins are required for community interaction anyway.

Respect, but understand that the post was made impulsively, I don't expect you to agree with it, and I understand that things aren't as simple as they seem from the outside, but try to consider where it came from, I'm just extremely disappointed to see where my favourite franchise has headed and I feel like Halo has the potential to be a top competitive AND casual game, it makes me sad to see it fall so short...

• Upvote (+1) 7

Respect, but understand that the post was made impulsively, I don't expect you to agree with it, and I understand that things aren't as simple as they seem from the outside, but try to consider where it came from, I'm just extremely disappointed to see where my favourite franchise has headed and I feel like Halo has the potential to be a top competitive AND casual game, it makes me sad to see it fall so short...

I assumed no ill-intent. I know that on any side of the weird MC Escher-designed fence that a franchise like Halo creates, people plea from a place of passion, and I certainly am appreciative that folks even care enough in the first place to be pissed off about something. And you are correct that it's always infinitely more complicated than it seems from the outside, and nothing (ugh, trust me, nothing) is ever remotely "simple" as you certainly already seem to realize. It's also good to remember that "343" is not remotely one singular hive of homogeneous opinion, even though yes, at the end of the day only one "direction/opinion" can win out. But that's the case with really any business/company/product I suppose. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I assumed no ill-intent. I know that on any side of the weird MC Escher-designed fence that a franchise like Halo creates, people plea from a place of passion, and I certainly am appreciative that folks even care enough in the first place to be pissed off about something. And you are correct that it's always infinitely more complicated than it seems from the outside, and nothing (ugh, trust me, nothing) is ever remotely "simple" as you certainly already seem to realize. It's also good to remember that "343" is not remotely one singular hive of homogeneous opinion, even though yes, at the end of the day only one "direction/opinion" can win out. But that's the case with really any business/company/product I suppose.

Thanks for caring enough to respond, all I really hope for at this point is more people like yourself taking positions at 343, I'll always keep 1 eye on Halo in hope, even if I pretend like I don't care anymore.

Grim I know I/we can come off as toxic assholes, but pretty much everyone in here wants Halo to be good as much as you guys.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Grim I know I/we can come off as toxic assholes, but pretty much everyone in here wants Halo to be good as much as you guys.

If we didn't care we wouldn't be bitching all the time. 

I don't even play Halo anymore, even though I got to SR114 or something, but if Halo 6 is classic Halo I'll be playing it every day. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I give so many shits about this franchise I might have a problem.

• Upvote (+1) 2

...even though yes, at the end of the day only one "direction/opinion" can win out. But that's the case with really any business/company/product I suppose. ...

but is that really the case though?

I mean with a franchise as big as Halo, how is it not possible to have different sub-games coexist? Have the mainline games continue with whatever way seems to be the most profitable with a modern audience but throw in some games following the classic fomula every other year to keep the old guys (and some new players as well I'd guess) happy.

Maybe I'm overly naive here but I believe a solution like this would have an appeasing effect on the halo community as a whole.

(I really don't expect some groundbreaking answer here, I can imagine that these are things, 343 doesn't really have much say into either and it's something MS, as the one holding the check book, would be the more fittig company to turn to, but I just couldn't let this go uncommented )

343 cant make one game, now imagine them making more than that.

but what about other studios dalahi lama 2?

imagine if another studio makes a better halo than 343 they won't let that happen

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

YES.  If you want to make a game with a bunch of rad new shit, start a new IP.  Don't add unnecessary risk to an otherwise successful franchise.

Or, like I said, a spin-off. 343 has been all about the whole "Trans-media" experience. There are all kinds of things that could be explored in different kinds of games that aren't twin stick shooters for phones. Random examples:

• UNSC vs Insurrectionists - Pre-Covenant war campaign. Bomb defusal-focused multiplayer.
  • Warzone - A Halo branded Battlefield-inspired game.
  • Headhunters - Third person cooperative stealth action game where you play as Spartan IIIs sent on impossible missions.
  • ODST 2 - Wherein you play as an ODST.
  • The Flood - A survival horror game in which you play as some poor sucker stuck on a flood-infested ship.
  • Halo RPG - Like Mass Effect with some RPG mechanics and a Halo setting.
  • Upvote (+1) 8

but is that really the case though?

I mean with a franchise as big as Halo, how is it not possible to have different sub-games coexist? 

As you surmised, probably nothing groundbreaking here, but while it's certainly possible, there are a myriad of complexities here that definitely make it not so cut and dry. On the surface, I actually totally agree with you (personally at least), and would love and prefer for there to be several different game/genre avenues to experience Halo - hell, even aside from just the amorphous "classic" v "modern-ish" delta, I'm still waiting for my space combat fighter and Pod Racer-style vehicle combat race Halo games lol. 

But as I'm sure you understand, there are so many things in play, from resources and prioritization to partnerships and platform initiatives. Although, I would point out that the phantom "oh no, we can't have another studio do something cool/cooler in Halo, that just can't be allowed to stand" idea is just that - basically silly BS. Sorry saw that in another comment and it's a little eye-roll inducing lol. It's like the whole "Oh you guys must hate Playstation devs!" Like, um, no, we love those folks and play their awesome games too. This industry is too small/intimate for such pettiness. The internet likes to create drama/rivalry/scandal to have more to talk about I think.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

Even Phil Spencer has congratulated and talked about the good games on PlayStation and Nintendo. The market is big enough for all of them to be successful and consumers to reap the rewards of the competition. The "console wars" kind of piss me off.

Phil Spencer is a legend

If he had been in charge during the Xbox launch window I think the console sales would be a good bit better.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If he had been in charge during the Xbox launch window I think the console sales would be a good bit better.

absolutely not

• Downvote (-1) 3

Or, like I said, a spin-off. 343 has been all about the whole "Trans-media" experience. There are all kinds of things that could be explored in different kinds of games that aren't twin stick shooters for phones. Random examples:

• UNSC vs Insurrectionists - Pre-Covenant war campaign. Bomb defusal-focused multiplayer.
  • Warzone - A Halo branded Battlefield-inspired game.
  • Headhunters - Third person cooperative stealth action game where you play as Spartan IIIs sent on impossible missions.
  • ODST 2 - Wherein you play as an ODST.
  • The Flood - A survival horror game in which you play as some poor sucker stuck on a flood-infested ship.
  • Halo RPG - Like Mass Effect with some RPG mechanics and a Halo setting.

I've said this more times than I probably should, but something akin to Dead Space set within like a Flood infested station/planet would be amazing.

Halo needs to get back into that pitch from N-Space with the Megabloks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean, I did at least read it. So, there's that!

Eh, Class-2 is clearly good enough for hazardous environments. Chief got by just fine in the Library.

I don't know if anyone here goes on /v/, but if you ever see a thread on there talking about which Halo is best or what "killed" Halo, just ignore it. Those people have the worst opinions on Halo bar none. They will try to convince you that Reach and even Halo 4 were great and than the first three games are overrated and outdated.

absolutely not

Absolutely yes.  Don mattrick was an idiot.  The sole issue with the xbox launch was the shitty shitty shitty messaging.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Absolutely yes.  Don mattrick was an idiot.  The sole issue with the xbox launch was the shitty shitty shitty messaging.

Are you familiar with phil spencer's work before being lead of xbox?