CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If halo 6 has MMR in every playlist like H5 does it's going to die just as fast. Social matchmaking that prioritizes connection over everything is literally what the vast majority of people want in games. Keep all the MMR shit in the ranked part of the game. With PARTY RESTRCTIONS so ranks can actually mean something.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I'm curious, does anyone in here still play H5 actively? Apparently Menke's Party Balancer (compensates for party size by searching stronger opponents) has been active in Warzone and Social for a while and as of the last community update also in Ranked. Has anyone here felt a difference in Matchmaking quality or is it still the same shitfest?

I'm curious, does anyone in here still play H5 actively? Apparently Menke's Party Balancer (compensates for party size by searching stronger opponents) has been active in Warzone and Social for a while and as of the last community update also in Ranked. Has anyone here felt a difference in Matchmaking quality or is it still the same shitfest?

I haven’t played, but while the math makes sense, the quality of the outcome is going to be contingent on the size and scope of the playerbase. My guess is, it’s way too late to save H5, though, allegedly, gamepass has boosted population a bit.

I can’t imagine many gamepass subs have 100gbs to spare for the game but what do I know.

Isn’t Overwatch system better than others? In overwatch you must reach level 25 but this means there’s less smurfs(hell of a grind kinda tbh) it lets us know skills of a player through possible kill/death ratio. Halo should implement the same style. Oh you hate social? So because of your ego you can’t stand to find any other way to reduce smurfing when you know this is a good solution. On OW and league(league does this too) you have to grind to level 25/30 to play ranked. This makes less smurfs, but also does open opportunity to sell accounts of course. But nonetheless this could fix halos current issue of Smurf’s. Wouldn’t be 100% but decent.

this would only act as a short term deterrent to smurfing without actually addressing the issues that lead to smurfing feeling like a rewarding idea.

The reason people Smurf: Because they want to play amongst lesser skilled players. And that's not inherently nefarious. sure some people just want to shit on scrubs. others (like myself) find the actual social playlists insufferable (i don't Smurf though, i just stopped playing), others can't get games on their main due to their skill and lack of population issues. others are too psychologically connected to their CSR and don't want to risk it decreasing.

it's up to the developer to address these issue by removing the need/incentive to Smurf in order for these players to have a rewarding experience.

1) A ranking/matching algorithm that better represents party size andindividual skill is a step in the right direction. it needs to launch that way

2)they also need a social playlist that is congruent to the ranked experience. i fucking hate ARs, Radars, and Molten. playing social shouldn't subject me to that shit.

3) Ranks themselves need to be awarded on the backend of the season, not the front end, with a decay in place to combat stalling - this way players don't have an actual or psychological disincentive to keep grinding.

4) as far as those who Smurf to grief, the only way to combat them is a system that is more reactive to seemingly abnormal displays of skill, which TrueSkill2.0 alleges to be. if shitting on someone instantly results in much tougher matches, then Smurfing looses all its value to griefers. at this point a minimum xp requirement prior to unlocking ranked mode would be icing on the cake.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Unfortunately I have not been playing enough to really be able to tell.  I haven't played H5 actively since probably the weekend before worlds.  Been playing more MCC and rediscovered how much of a broken PoS that game still is.

Yea, I play it a few times a week. I haven't as much the last couple weeks, but the Trueskill Menke has implemented is pretty good in the social playlists. It goes live in every playlist when the ranks reset today, and I'm planning on putting a lot of time in it with the HCS playlist. In my experience with the HCS, I got from Onyx-low Diamond, and it's crazy how my rank swings based on party play. Going in solo I end up matching teams of 3-4, do well personally, and lose a ton of rank in a given session. However, when playing with my team, wins come a lot but you climb rank slowly.

Hell, I would be happy if the Trueskill factoring in individual play just manages the loss of rank when searching solo. It'll be a huge improvement if you actually match parties similar to yours AND have a personal factor.

Yea, I play it a few times a week. I haven't as much the last couple weeks, but the Trueskill Menke has implemented is pretty good in the social playlists. It goes live in every playlist when the ranks reset today, and I'm planning on putting a lot of time in it with the HCS playlist. In my experience with the HCS, I got from Onyx-low Diamond, and it's crazy how my rank swings based on party play. Going in solo I end up matching teams of 3-4, do well personally, and lose a ton of rank in a given session. However, when playing with my team, wins come a lot but you climb rank slowly.

Hell, I would be happy if the Trueskill factoring in individual play just manages the loss of rank when searching solo. It'll be a huge improvement if you actually match parties similar to yours AND have a personal factor.

Yes, i have been arguing for a variable that takes into account your personal performance.  I still think that you should only gain rank if you win and always lose rank if you lose, but this way your personal performance can reduce the sting of a loss from shitty teammates as well as reduce the rank gain if you won but got hard carried.

Some people would argue that the entire team should lose/gain rank at the same rate based solely on the quality of opponent but imo that would only work in playlists where you are only allowed to play with full parties and this will be superior.  Everything gets setup today right?

I still play and it feels a little better. Matching parties is still trash though because of quitters.

How do people here feel about 1 ranked playlist? I think it be better for halo if hcs was the only ranked playlist as this could improve ranked play. what Y’all think. I remember seeing a video about why halo should do what all these other games do is have one ranked playlist. Aka the games tournament settings.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still play and it feels a little better. Matching parties is still trash though because of quitters.

yeah I quit every time I match a party. Actually I got on a few weeks ago and had fun in the quick play playlist(though got annoyed at the lack of mic usage(fuckin hate console gamers because they never use a damn mic) and had fun for the most part. Then decided to play hcs first match is a to4 and I get shit on. I decided to play a second game again to4! So I decided to never play again.

Did I mention I got heavy aim as well?

You know this is why I hate console games. The aiming doesn’t feel right anymore, though fair note I’ve been using a M&K for a whil now playing pubg and Fortnite and OW god damn mouse just feels so good.

Hey all! I am new here and I gotta say I have been reading this forum for a while and after seeing the criticism of halo 5, I have to agree whole heartedly. I tried discussing on halowaypoint but they are a bit hardheaded. I ended up uninstalling Halo 5, its grown too stale. What are the chances that 343 will have a sudden realization and create a good halo game?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hey all! I am new here and I gotta say I have been reading this forum for a while and after seeing the criticism of halo 5, I have to agree whole heartedly. I tried discussing on halowaypoint but they are a bit hardheaded. I ended up uninstalling Halo 5, its grown too stale. What are the chances that 343 will have a sudden realization and create a good halo game?

0/6

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why lol? It's true for the most part. No other game has given me consistently good matches like H3 used to when the population was still there. Like pretty much every Halo game since, all CoDs, BF, TF,  Overwatch, DOOM etc. have terrible Matchmaking when compared to Halo 3 at its peak, at least in my experience. The only games that arguably do it better are CSGO (has other problems like rampant cheating though) and MOBA/RTS games like LoL and Starcraft.

H3's MM and especially the ranking system are nowhere near perfect, but for what it was and especially at the time, H3's MM was nothing short of amazing. Had I known back then that a decade later we'd be fighting tooth and nail just to get party restrictions back I would have played way more H3. Unfortunately the netcode and gameplay held H3 prevented that from happening.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Have been playing H5 often and while I do appreciate the playlist refresh, I can't say I have noticed an improvement in matchmaking quality. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why lol? It's true for the most part. No other game has given me consistently good matches like H3 used to when the population was still there. Like pretty much every Halo game since, all CoDs, BF, TF,  Overwatch, DOOM etc. have terrible Matchmaking when compared to Halo 3 at its peak, at least in my experience. The only games that arguably do it better are CSGO (has other problems like rampant cheating though) and MOBA/RTS games like LoL and Starcraft.

H3's MM and especially the ranking system are nowhere near perfect, but for what it was and especially at the time, H3's MM was nothing short of amazing. Had I known back then that a decade later we'd be fighting tooth and nail just to get party restrictions back I would have played way more H3. Unfortunately the netcode and gameplay held H3 prevented that from happening.

because more than a decade later a bunch of super casual and, honestly, probably just bad players still talk about how good it used to be and yet we get people trying to reinvent the wheel and failing over and over instead. Potentially even to try to make these very people come back. The thing that really gets me about all of it is the placement matches are supposed to just speed you on your way to where you belong. I think they might even do a decent job of that. Then your low onyx player ends up playing someone in the platinum bracket after they've talked before about how your high diamond player is probably the equivalent to your old 50. That probably doesn't seem strange until you realize a lvl 50 player could not match anyone below 40 in the worst case scenario. Sometimes I cringe a little bit when they talk about how "matches are closer to 50% w/l for everyone than ever before" and ignore that they solved for that result by taking very good players and giving them an uphill battle against the other team via their shitty teammates. Its honestly super toxic compared to what we had before when I would argue the skill floor at the highest MM levels was higher

• Upvote (+1) 1

because more than a decade later a bunch of super casual and, honestly, probably just bad players still talk about how good it used to be and yet we get people trying to reinvent the wheel and failing over and over instead. Potentially even to try to make these very people come back. The thing that really gets me about all of it is the placement matches are supposed to just speed you on your way to where you belong. I think they might even do a decent job of that. Then your low onyx player ends up playing someone in the platinum bracket after they've talked before about how your high diamond player is probably the equivalent to your old 50. That probably doesn't seem strange until you realize a lvl 50 player could not match anyone below 40 in the worst case scenario. Sometimes I cringe a little bit when they talk about how "matches are closer to 50% w/l for everyone than ever before" and ignore that they solved for that result by taking very good players and giving them an uphill battle against the other team via their shitty teammates. Its honestly super toxic compared to what we had before when I would argue the skill floor at the highest MM levels was higher

Almost every issue i see complained about how the matchmaking sucks can be directly attributed to the fact that the population is abysmal.

If they forced full party restrictions and matched you only with/against players of equal skill, you would never get games.  Part of the reason that you were able to get games in Halo 3 as quickly as you could for as long as you could was 1) its population was decent for a long time, even after reach came out.  I bet i could look up the numbers but we all know that Halo 3 after 4 years had more people playing than Halo 5 does now. 2) ranks were artificially inflated. Making it easier to find games in the upper tiers than it really should have been.  Menke has mentioned this before, the population of players there were over level 40 was way too high.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Almost every issue i see complained about how the matchmaking sucks can be directly attributed to the fact that the population is abysmal.

If they forced full party restrictions and matched you only with/against players of equal skill, you would never get games. Part of the reason that you were able to get games in Halo 3 as quickly as you could for as long as you could was 1) its population was decent for a long time, even after reach came out. I bet i could look up the numbers but we all know that Halo 3 after 4 years had more people playing than Halo 5 does now. 2) ranks were artificially inflated. Making it easier to find games in the upper tiers than it really should have been. Menke has mentioned this before, the population of players there were over level 40 was way too high.

100% agree. There is a direct correlation between population and quality of matchmaking.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If they forced full party restrictions and matched you only with/against players of equal skill, you would never get games.  Part of the reason that you were able to get games in Halo 3 as quickly as you could for as long as you could was 1) its population was decent for a long time, even after reach came out.  I bet i could look up the numbers but we all know that Halo 3 after 4 years had more people playing than Halo 5 does now. 2) ranks were artificially inflated. Making it easier to find games in the upper tiers than it really should have been.  Menke has mentioned this before, the population of players there were over level 40 was way too high.

I actually don't think population is the only factor. Awkwardly in H3 social slayer I can get games faster with a grand total of 40 players online than I can in H5/MCC sometimes. Granted I guess there could be fewer players on H5 and MCC but somehow I doubt that. I feel like 343 tries to take some middle ground in both ranked and social and comes away with negatives from both very social MM and strict ranked matching rather than one or the other.

• Upvote (+1) 2

https://brackify.com/bracket/15544/The-Best-Halo-ReachHalo-4-and-5-Maps

Haven is probably the only map I can think of that was good from Halo 4 or 5. Maybe a couple of the maps from the DLC that had the Hornet fly by that City map at night. Although they must not be that good since I can't remember their name.

I always hate how these polls have all the remakes in them. And pitting BTB maps against 4v4 maps is just stupid as hell.

OT: I think some of H5's better maps could be decent if the game itself wasn't such a PoS. Plaza, Coliseum and The Rig could have been decently good maps if they were in CE or H2. Don't get me wrong, these aren't masterpieces like Sanc or Midship, but they're not complete shit either. It's also such a shame that 343 decided to not even try with the DLC maps, because initially going from H4 => H5 shows a significant increase in map quality. Then Overgrowth, the Fathom remix and Molten happened and made me lose all faith again.

The Rig is terribad.

It's greater offense would probably be how generic it is. Not necessarily balance problems.

• Upvote (+1) 1