CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Definitely with Apollo on this one. The modern placement system is better in every way (H2/H3 nostalgia aside) and there's a reason quite literally every game uses some form of it for ranked match-making now. A good compromise would be to take to replace the actual ranks themselves with the old 1-50 look to make it more, uh, "Halo-y."

Oh, and add party restrictions.

Well, here is my perspective.

I think placement matches are stupid because there is literally no possible way to create a formula that can tell me in 10 games how good of a player I am. It's a ridiculous idea and it seems halo 5 has shown me every way it could go wrong. I'll play all 10 placement matches in doubles with the same friend, repeatedly performing better every game and still place below him. Why. And why can I lose 10 games to champion players and place high onyx, and win 10 games against diamond and place diamond. I'm at the whim of whoever else is searching and it's ********. Nothing about it is consistent, and frankly there will never be a way to accurately evaluate a players worth in a match through stats.

I think having everything rest on placement matches is anti-incentive to play, meaning I will literally never touch ranked unless I have a full squad ready to go. The whole system makes me not want to participate.

Resetting the rank, I understand is supposed to give people incentive to come back and has always done the exact opposite for me. After doing well in a season and then logging on the next day to find my stats wiped I couldn't help but just laugh and then switch to another game. Why the fuck should I even bother if my rank doesn't even stay? It's just going to disappear in a month or two I won't bother, and I don't. ESPECIALLY because the backend system retains your mmr hidden, so it doesn't ACTUALLY reset. What. The. Fuck. Is. The. Point.

The amount of tiers completely devalues the ranks, at least with Halos population/algorithms the difference between a Diamond 2 and a Diamond 3 is what exactly? Quite literally irrelevant, so why are there two different ranks. The whole point of a system like this is to tell me how good someone is, so why is it when I'm diamond 2 facing a Diamond 6 does it mean literally nothing to me. Not 1 thought goes through my head, despite the fact that the system is telling me "this guy is better than you" lol like probably not. He probably played like 5 more games than me. It defeats the entire purpose.

If I made a ranking system it would be a 1-10 ELO based system, with a top 500 champion system for rank 10s

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Definitely with Apollo on this one. The modern placement system is better in every way (H2/H3 nostalgia aside) and there's a reason quite literally every game uses some form of it for ranked match-making now. A good compromise would be to take to replace the actual ranks themselves with the old 1-50 look to make it more, uh, "Halo-y."

Oh, and add party restrictions.

Yeah i forgot to mention this.  if people are so married to 1-50 fuck it, let 1-50 be the visible representation of skill. The only thing additional it would need would be some way to denote "50+" for the exceptional players.  It doesn't really matter to me as much as it seems to matter to other people what the actualy visible representation of rank is, as long as 1) its accurate 2) it results in the perception of fair matchmaking 3) results in actual fair matchmaking, im fine with it.  And yes yes i know that visible rank and MMR are separate but ideally they converge.  It may even have an advantage in the perception department as it's more immediately recognizable how close in ranks 43's and 45's are than say mid plats and low diamonds.

Well, here is my perspective.

I think placement matches are stupid because there is literally no possible way to create a formula that can tell me in 10 games how good of a player I am. It's a ridiculous idea and it seems halo 5 has shown me every way it could go wrong. I'll play all 10 placement matches in doubles with the same friend, repeatedly performing better every game and still place below him. Why. And why can I lose 10 games to champion players and place high onyx, and win 10 games against diamond and place diamond. I'm at the whim of whoever else is searching and it's ********. Nothing about it is consistent, and frankly there will never be a way to accurately evaluate a players worth in a match through stats.

I think having everything rest on placement matches is anti-incentive to play, meaning I will literally never touch ranked unless I have a full squad ready to go. The whole system makes me not want to participate.

Resetting the rank, I understand is supposed to give people incentive to come back and has always done the exact opposite for me. After doing well in a season and then logging on the next day to find my stats wiped I couldn't help but just laugh and then switch to another game. Why the fuck should I even bother if my rank doesn't even stay? It's just going to disappear in a month or two I won't bother, and I don't. ESPECIALLY because the backend system retains your mmr hidden, so it doesn't ACTUALLY reset. What. The. Fuck. Is. The. Point.

The amount of tiers completely devalues the ranks, at least with Halos population/algorithms the difference between a Diamond 2 and a Diamond 3 is what exactly? Quite literally irrelevant, so why are there two different ranks. The whole point of a system like this is to tell me how good someone is, so why is it when I'm diamond 2 facing a Diamond 6 does it mean literally nothing to me. Not 1 thought goes through my head, despite the fact that the system is telling me "this guy is better than you" lol like probably not. He probably played like 5 more games than me. It defeats the entire purpose.

If I made a ranking system it would be a 1-10 ELO based system, with a top 500 champion system for rank 10s

Everything doesn’t rest on placements though... placements just get you in the ballpark - cutting out dozens of nonsensical matchups in the process.

The idea is to quickly figure out the caliber of opponent that you’ll have good matches against. If the system sees how you fair against those who are already viewed as weak/avg/strong players, there’s no reason it 10 games isn’t enough to figure out who you should be playing against.

To your point, maybe there is a problem with the sense of “completion” people feel upon earning their rank. perhaps you shouldn’t earn a rank immediately after your placements. Instead, it should mean placement in a league (bronze-Champ) and your rank isn’t earned until then end of the season- that’ll be the badge you carry through the following season. You’d grind your way up through the leagues by winning. They could apply a decay factor to encourage more playtime. That way, ultimately, it’s not about where you start, but where you finish.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Everything doesn’t rest on placements though... placements just get you in the ballpark - cutting out dozens of nonsensical matchups in the process.

The idea is to quickly figure out the caliber of opponent that you’ll have good matches against. If the system sees how you fair against those who are already viewed as weak/avg/strong players, there’s no reason it 10 games isn’t enough to figure out who you should be playing against.

To your point, maybe there is a problem with the sense of “completion” people feel upon earning their rank. perhaps you shouldn’t earn a rank immediately after your placements. Instead, it should be placed in a league (bronze-Champ) and your rank isn’t earned until then end of the season. You’d grind your way up through the leagues by winning. They could apply a decay factor to encourage more playtime. That way, ultimately, it’s not about where you start, but where you finish.

Placement matches without season resets would probably be less offensive in my mind, but at that point if there's no season end then it removes a lot of the reason to use placement matches. Because with (relatively) infinite time everyone ends up sorting themselves out anyways.

As long as my rank resets for whatever reason, then I will lose all drive to play ranked. Seriously what is the point if it just goes away lol there's no way I'm the only one who feels like this.

Maybe if the placement matches couldn't place you above gold or platinum or something, and there weren't season resets I could be on board. But as it stands I have no interest in these homogenous ranking systems every game uses.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Placement matches without season resets would probably be less offensive in my mind, but at that point if there's no season end then it removes a lot of the reason to use placement matches. Because with (relatively) infinite time everyone ends up sorting themselves out anyways.

As long as my rank resets for whatever reason, then I will lose all drive to play ranked. Seriously what is the point if it just goes away lol there's no way I'm the only one who feels like this.

Maybe if the placement matches couldn't place you above gold or platinum or something, and there weren't season resets I could be on board. But as it stands I have no interest in these homogenous ranking systems every game uses.

I think for a lot of people resets are an insentive to play. In sports, if win a championship in season 1, you aren’t a champion forever, you have to prove it all over again the following season. That need to re-prove is a motivation.

I disagree that placement matches shouldn’t place above gold. There’s no reason that players who are obviously Champ level talent should be grinding against gold scrubs... that’s just a waste of everyone’s time.

That’s why I like the league idea. Your placements put you in a league. You play through the season trying get into the Champ league, ultimately aiming for Champ 1. Where you finish the season is your “rank” - your badge of honor that you carry with you into the next season.

Your rank would set your performance bar for following season. If you finished Onyx in Season 1, then you’d typically have a motivation to finish Onyx or better I’m Season 2 and so on.

Part of the motivation to play would be to defend your title. no one wants to see their rank go down per season - to be the Onyx guy who couldn’t make it out of Diamond League in season 2. So they play to keep getting better.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think for a lot of people resets are an insentive to play. You win a championship in season 1, you aren’t a champion forever, you have to prove it all over again the following season. That need to re-prove is a motivation.

I disagree that placement matches shouldn’t place above gold. There’s no reason that players who are obviously Champ level talent should be grinding against gold scrubs... that’s just a waste of everyone’s time.

That’s why I like the league idea. Your placements put you in a league. You play through the season trying get into the Champ league, ultimately aiming for Champ 1. Where you finish the season is your “rank” - your badge of honor that you carry with you into the next season.

Your rank would set your performance bar for following season. If you finished Onyx in Season 1, then you’d typically have a motivation to finish Onyx or better I’m Season 2.

Part of the motivation to play would be to defend your title. no one wants to see their rank go down per season - to be the Onyx guy who couldn’t make it out of Diamond League in season 2.

I understand what you're saying, I mean you're literally outlining what the current ranking system is for just about every game out there.

And I'm saying, those lines of reasoning don't resonate with me. The rank reset makes me NOT want to play. The second I see seasonal resets I check out, hell its the reason I never play ranked OW anymore. Stressed out placing 1 season and then never wanted to go through that again. And then you get the whole

"Hey man I'm gonna rank you want in?"

"Nah I don't want to ruin my placement matches"

Or

"I can't play with you I've already done my placement matches"

"Ok well I guess I'm not playing ranked then."

I'm saying everything you just told me sounds like it makes sense on paper but in reality means dick bumpkiss to me. I don't care about re-earning my rank nor do I want to. I want my rank to be my rank. Not arbitrarily reset that doesn't even mean anything because the fucking game just holds onto your MMR and places you back where you were, it's stupid. And frankly that's MORE grindy than a 1-50 system. I've probably replaced onyx more games in H5 placement matches than I did getting to my rank by progression in H3, before I gave up because every other week it's like none of it ever mattered.

And like I said, I've never seen placement matches that I thought were fair 100% of the time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I understand what you're saying, I mean you're literally outlining what the current ranking system is for just about every game out there.

And I'm saying, those lines of reasoning don't resonate with me. The rank reset makes me NOT want to play. The second I see seasonal resets I check out, hell its the reason I never play ranked OW anymore. Stressed out placing 1 season and then never wanted to go through that again. And then you get the whole

Or

I'm saying everything you just told me sounds like it makes sense on paper but in reality means dick bumpkiss to me. I don't care about re-earning my rank nor do I want to. I want my rank to be my rank. Not arbitrarily reset that doesn't even mean anything because the fucking game just holds onto your MMR and places you back where you were, it's stupid. And frankly that's MORE grindy than a 1-50 system. I've probably replaced onyx more games in H5 placement matches than I did getting to my rank by progression in H3, before I gave up because every other week it's like none of it ever mattered.

And like I said, I've never seen placement matches that I thought were fair 100% of the time.

Hm. What are our thoughts on an intermediary playlist between a "Social" and a "Ranked?" I know we rag on H5 for having waaaay too many playlists already.

Or

I feel like you’re in the minority. There’s a reason a number of games do this - because it’s proven to give people a drive to keep competing.

You ask why would someone keep playing if there’s a reset? Ask anyone who plays any sport- Because you want to prove yourself better than the previous season, or you want to defend your title.

If a boxer didn’t have to defend his title belt, why would he keep boxing? Why wouldn’t he just retire as the champ?

The game holds on to your MMR, then subtracts some, so you start behind where your finished. but to your point, re-placing Onyx over and over isnt effectively different than peaking at 49 (or whatever). If you aren’t getting any better or worse, then so be it. The only difference is this time, you didn’t spend dozens of games senselessly grinding through lvl 1-40 players.

Honestly, those excuses not to play don’t make a lick of sense to me. How is someone not wanting to blow their placements or lose their Onyx 6 or whatever any different than someone not wanting to drop their lvl 49 or whatever? Basically, the person is just afraid of a visual indication that they’ve lost. That has nothing to do with the system.

Placement matches don’t need to be “100% fair”. They are just to quickly get players in the ball park. The subsequent matches then correct the calculation.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel like you’re in the minority. There’s a reason a number of games do this - because it’s proven to give people a drive to keep competing.

You ask why would someone keep playing if there’s a reset? Ask anyone who plays any sport- Because you want to prove yourself better than the previous season, or you want to defend your title.

If a boxer didn’t have to defend his title belt, why would he keep boxing? Why wouldn’t he just retire as the champ?

The game holds on to your MMR, then subtracts some, so you start behind where your finished. but to your point, re-placing Onyx over and over isnt effectively different than peaking at 49 (or whatever). If you aren’t getting any better or worse, then so be it. The only difference is this time, you didn’t spend dozens of games senselessly grinding through lvl 1-40 players.

Honestly I enjoy grinding to a 49 more than I enjoy going through placements to get there. Not to mention when I do finally get to 49 there's probably a lot less illegitimate other 49's because the consistency it takes to get there. How many bunk onyx players do we all know? People that have no business being in that rank happen to lose 10 games to champs so they placed on onyx.

Hm. What are our thoughts on an intermediary playlist between a "Social" and a "Ranked?" I know we rag on H5 for having waaaay too many playlists already.

Explain? Not sure what exactly an intermediate playlist would entail

Explain? Not sure what exactly an intermediate playlist would entail

I'm imagining it as something like a competitive breakroom for all the guys who would usually play ranked. The rank stays the same, as opposed to Arena, or whatever highly competitive playlist we have, where the seasons reset.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly I enjoy grinding to a 49 more than I enjoy going through placements to get there. Not to mention when I do finally get to 49 there's probably a lot less illegitimate other 49's because the consistency it takes to get there. How many bunk onyx players do we all know? People that have no business being in that rank happen to lose 10 games to champs so they placed on onyx.

This makes no sense to me. Whether you’re placed in Onyx in season 5. Or you grind to 49 after what would have been season 5, your probably playing against the exact same people. Why is one less fun than the other? You’re just skipping the garbage tier players.

Even, your Onyx rank is based on consistency, as you mention, your MMR is retained. if someone places Onyx after losing 10 games to champs, what’s the big deal? If they belong in Champ, surely they get back there by winning some matches. If they don’t belong in Onyx, they’ll fall out of it if they keep playing.

If there’s any problem here, it’s the sense of completion at then end of placements, and the lack of decay on players who don’t continue playing- So if someone’s MMR is holding them at Onyx, but they don’t play enough to drop out of Onyx, they just sit there. But it’s no different than someone getting to level 49, then not playing as often. This is why I say ranks should be distributed at the end of the season, and there should be a decay to encourage playing fairly often.

• Upvote (+1) 2

One of the problems with seasons is also that for the life of H5 they have been too short.  I would rather see them in the 3-6 month range.  If they were to make a system where only Team Arena had true, full reset seasons and the rest of the playlists just had some sort of rank decay i could probably be ok with that too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Came back to this thread late. But, to add something to the already great matchmaking/ranked play talk, how do you guys feel about promoting a certain playlist with rewards? Apollo and Hard Way have some amazing points with this talk, and one of you mentioned promoting Team Arena as THE ranked playlist. Gears 4 gives a certain weapon skin based on the season and ranked achieved in a certain playlist. So, to take that a step further, how about giving, say, a magnum skin based on rank to players in Team Arena. EG, an Onyx skin with CSR on the handle based on top rank achieved that season.

The only problem I could see with that model is that players in other playlists would be upset and not every player would be able to achieve a certain skin/reward. We've seen these type of complaints in Destiny, and are now in D2 with the pulse rifle being a reward for ranked Crucible.

It's something to think about that goes hand in hand with visible rank. I think it would be cool to tie yourself to your rank not only with that, but with in game cosmetics too. I understand not everyone has the mindset most of us do in wanting to get better. Nevertheless, I don't think promoting ranks and rewards would be a negative addition.

I love the idea of using skins to incentivize people to try competitive multiplayer, especially if you further incentivize them to get better by offering more skins for higher levels. That’s great. And the exclusivity of the higher skins creates a prestige to them that is valuable, just like how Recon was so sought after.

The crucial part here, and I know it’s trivial and might get overlooked, is to NOT have a vacancy in the skin selection screen for a skin that you can’t get. Don’t taunt players and trigger their OCD by showing a greyed out option for something that happened 8 months ago and isn’t coming back. Honestly the only complaint about being left out for stuff like this comes down to a UI issue where collectors feel like they can’t complete their collection. That feeling is valid and should be addressed.

I'm not a huge fan of skins being locked behind playlists I might not want to play, but it's acceptable so long as they can be obtained at any time.

I absolutely hate anything that is limited-time-only.  I think its a very anti-consumer and unfair practice, that I be permanently locked out of something because I wasn't fast enough or it happened before my time or I didn't get the memo.  So I would be completely against seasonal skins.  I don't really care if it's greyed out in the UI or not, I'll still see people wearing it and know that I'll never obtain it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not a huge fan of skins being locked behind playlists I might not want to play, but it's acceptable so long as they can be obtained at any time.

I absolutely hate anything that is limited-time-only.  I think its a very anti-consumer and unfair practice, that I be permanently locked out of something because I wasn't fast enough or it happened before my time or I didn't get the memo.  So I would be completely against seasonal skins.  I don't really care if it's greyed out in the UI or not, I'll still see people wearing it and know that I'll never obtain it.

So what do you think about CS:GO-esque economies, which are largely based on scarcity? Do you find not being able to unlock a skin at all less ethical than being able to buy that skin for a market price of, say, $1000?

I will say that I absolutely hate items that are described as limited time only items, but then aren't and the company breaks their word on that promise. I really hated Halo 4, but it was an incident with their redistribution of LE skins that insured I would be petty enough to buy MCC/H5 second hand.

Doubles and FFA should be treated with equal importance to 4v4 imo. Tournaments should run all three, and devs should design maps for all 3. We've been playing doubles on 4v4 maps for most of Halo; certainly all of H4 and 5.

This is less of a maps issue and more of a game play issue.

1v1 and 2v2 need health packs to work properly and need better item placement. I'd suggest magnum start for these game types to make kills faster (however, this shows ANOTHER issue - the amount of auto aim in the game - this needs to be reduced as the magnum as a hit scan weapon is far too easy to use)

FFA should be only one over shield in the centre of the map or something like that.

I kinda agree, but at the same time, I don't.

Where do you draw the line on this?

Certain skins are considered "valuable" because they're harder to obtain. If you make them too easy to obtain there's really nothing special about them.

I mean, personally I don't give a shit about skins and don't give 2 shits if I can't unlock a certain skin. I might think "hey that's cool, I wish I had that skin" and then 5 seconds later I completely forget about it.

Put it this way. Lets say the Halo series continues after Halo 6 and there's a Halo 7, 8, 9, etc.

What's gonna happen to those skins you unlocked in Halo 6 once Halo 7 comes out? No one will care about them and all that time you spent earning your precious skin would be wasted and you'd have to start from scratch in the next game. What's more, some of these skins that can be obtained "at any time will" become nearly impossible to obtain as popular numbers fall. Are you really gonna revisit a game 10 years later just to unlock some skins?

I dunno, I think there's a middle ground on this somewhere.

I'm definately against limited time skins... basically a ploy to make people feel rushed, so they spend money.

I'd probably have some skins that are tied to Ranked performance. For example if you finish a Season in Bronze you get an item, Finish in silver you get the bronze item and the silver. Finish in gold you get gold + the other two. and so forth. Finish as a champ and you get everything.

then when season 2 comes around, you add a whole new set of items for each rank. you'd also keep the Season 1 items, but make them 1 rank easier to obtain. this way, everything would be available to everyone, eventually.

for those who don't like Ranked, i'd also have a weekly XP ladder. Finish at the top of ladder 1 and you get the Bronze items and move to ladder 2. Finish at the top of ladder 2 and get the Silver items and so forth. players could use XP boosts and all that jazz to try to grind to the top ladders.

at the end of the season top ranked players AND those who simply play the hell out of the game would have a path to all of that seasons most exclusive gear.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think for a lot of people resets are an insentive to play. In sports, if win a championship in season 1, you aren’t a champion forever, you have to prove it all over again the following season. That need to re-prove is a motivation.

Your rank would set your performance bar for following season. If you finished Onyx in Season 1, then you’d typically have a motivation to finish Onyx or better I’m Season 2 and so on.

Part of the motivation to play would be to defend your title. no one wants to see their rank go down per season - to be the Onyx guy who couldn’t make it out of Diamond League in season 2. So they play to keep getting better.

Just a few thoughts on this conversation that I feel weren't addressed/emphasized enough:

-There is no point in creating a new season unless the gameplay has changed. Unless a patch comes out, the weapon layouts have changed, or new maps have been added, there is no point to reset a season.

-H5's seasons were WAY too short. I had the same problem Multi did with lack of motivation after a reset, but I attribute this to poor UI. We should be able to see in-game a history of our highest/final rank for every season. I personally lost motivation very early on because my previous rank disappeared forever, and I knew it would do it again in a month.

-Proper UI could alleviate the sense of futility that Multi and I felt by showing our last season's rank, but also ignite that compelling OCD sense of completion that the "X placements matches to go" icon creates. I would show the previous season's rank to the left of the placements icon, looking dingey and like the Flood is infecting it more and more as the season gets older until you finish your placement matches. This way, at a glance, the playlist selection screen doesn't look like it erased your work, but at the same time compels you to play again. And when people check your stats, and they see a Flood infested Onyx icon for your rank, they'll know that you were good once, but you might be rusty as hell, or maybe were carried to that rank and are scared to play on it.

-Placement matches will always have a purpose, so long as you value sparing the experience of lower skilled players while you stomp your way to where you need to be. I get it. It was fun. I enjoyed that grind too. But we're in the minority, and it was a net negative experience when you factor in how many people played unfairly difficult matches on our way to the top. Even if seasons are a year long, those 10 placement matches still served their purpose.

I'm imagining it as something like a competitive breakroom for all the guys who would usually play ranked. The rank stays the same, as opposed to Arena, or whatever highly competitive playlist we have, where the seasons reset.

I think this is an excellent idea, and so did The Coalition, when they made the Competitive Warmup playlist for GoW 4. Now, that playlist is complete shit and has illogical gametypes for a Warmup playlist (it should just be KotH bc respawn times), but the idea is terrific.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Splatoon 2 recently updated its ranking system in a way I think would be beneficial to Halo. Essentially the devs added an equivalent to Onyx/Champion that only roughly 1% of the population was able to obtain at the time. In this new rank, you're given another set of placement matches and a score based on your performance like in Onyx, but you need to stay above a certain threshold to maintain this rank. At the end of every month, only the top X% of players will be able to stay in this rank. Everyone else will be booted down into what is essentially Diamond 6 and need to work your way back up and redo your placement matches.

Seasonal ratings only affect people at the very top who need to consistently prove that they deserve a spot up there, while more casual(or worse) players don't need to worry about replaying their placements once a month and have their progress essentially vanish.

At the end of the month, there's a top 500 leaderboard showing everyone per-playlist, and you get a rad crown and different-colored nametag when you're in the top 500 any time during the month.

• Upvote (+1) 4

So what do you think about CS:GO-esque economies, which are largely based on scarcity? Do you find not being able to unlock a skin at all less ethical than being able to buy that skin for a market price of, say, $1000?

I will say that I absolutely hate items that are described as limited time only items, but then aren't and the company breaks their word on that promise. I really hated Halo 4, but it was an incident with their redistribution of LE skins that insured I would be petty enough to buy MCC/H5 second hand.

I feel like we're getting into my opinions on skins as a whole, and there's a lot I could say about that but I'd rather just quickly answer these for now.

1.  I don't like that these economies exist, but I do acknowledge they aren't going anywhere soon.  I think it's ever so slightly less ethical than having no way of obtaining the skins at all.

2.  I don't think companies should lie to manipulate people into a purchase, but that's all I can sympathize with you here.  I don't mind when I get an LE skin and then others get access to it, if anything I'm glad.  I feel like in general skins should be a method of individualization, not a status symbol to rub in the face of others.

Certain skins are considered "valuable" because they're harder to obtain. If you make them too easy to obtain there's really nothing special about them.

Currently I'm not saying they should be easier to obtain, just everyone has an equal chance to obtain them.

Getting Diamond rank to unlock a skin wouldn't be easy, but at least theoretically it's something everyone can do.

Getting locked out of that skin forever because you started playing the game a month too late...that's bullshit to me.

Isn’t Overwatch system better than others? In overwatch you must reach level 25 but this means there’s less smurfs(hell of a grind kinda tbh) it lets us know skills of a player through possible kill/death ratio. Halo should implement the same style. Oh you hate social? So because of your ego you can’t stand to find any other way to reduce smurfing when you know this is a good solution. On OW and league(league does this too) you have to grind to level 25/30 to play ranked. This makes less smurfs, but also does open opportunity to sell accounts of course. But nonetheless this could fix halos current issue of Smurf’s. Wouldn’t be 100% but decent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Considering on Xbox everyone makes a separate account. Wait don’t you need to pay 30$ to play on a new account on OW(if you’re on pc you have to do this technically)

2.  I don't think companies should lie to manipulate people into a purchase, but that's all I can sympathize with you here.  I don't mind when I get an LE skin and then others get access to it, if anything I'm glad.  I feel like in general skins should be a method of individualization, not a status symbol to rub in the face of others.

My principle would still stand if I was literally the only person who played [insert video game here]. By being deceptive about a LE purchase, I'm forced to make a decision with opportunity costs without full information. Ex: If I pay 20$ for an item and I get it on day 0, and then its offered for 1$ on day 3, its pretty clear I've been scammed. There is value to having an item earlier than you could have, but its pretty unlikely anyone would knowingly pay 19$ for the privilege of having it 3 days earlier. Your philosophy would be nice if implemented from the beginning, but in a situation where limited run items exist, its not really...ethical. I feel quite the opposite about skins; because it is just a skin, I very rarely care when I see some really rare now unobtainable skin in a game beyond a passing glance, and I certainly don't feel entitled to it.