CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Teleporters would instantly make a lot of their shitty maps better. Portals would be even better, imo.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Maybe not the best thread for this question, but what are your thoughts on Teleporters? I'm actually curious if you guys think it's a good/bad idea to have them? Was that a flaw that H1/H2 had compared to the newer Halos which didn't have that many teleporters? Halo 5 has basically none.

To add on to this. Teleporters can solve the problems of mobility that 343 has tried to solve with Sprint. Can provide alternate route to keep power positions from being too op, give craftier players ways to outsmart opponents, etc etc. It's a real shame they seem to have been removed in favor of other omnipresent mobility options.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Maybe not the best thread for this question, but what are your thoughts on Teleporters? I'm actually curious if you guys think it's a good/bad idea to have them? Was that a flaw that H1/H2 had compared to the newer Halos which didn't have that many teleporters? Halo 5 has basically none.

I llke teleporters in Halo because they are a great tool for map traversal. Chill Out is one of favorite stock Xbox maps in Halo 1 and it has three teleporters. Imminent is one of my favorite Halo 1.5 maps and it has multiple teleporters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d6C2BiUoukE

• Upvote (+1) 1

Teleporters are a great tool that really got the shaft in H3. The only maps that used them that I can recall are Cold Storage (remake) and some of the Forge maps that ended up in the Maption Sack rotational list.

For some reason it seems like they were given up on somewhere between H2 and 3 despite being a great tool.

• Upvote (+1) 5

As a modern video game player I find teleporters confusing and disorienting. I want to feel like a super soldier, not a scientist.

"...Back in my day, we didn't have to choose..."

6vKAacA.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

Which DOOM clone is that?

It's by this little underground studio called "Valve." I think they call it, like, Team Fortress or something? Sounds kinda fun. Can't imagine the sequel will be nearly as good as the new System Shock, though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The problem with grinding ranks in a H3 style system is that its only fun for the people that are actually capable of grinding ranks.  ie a small minority of the people playing the game. The people you have a blast shitting on through the first 40+ ranks are the same people that have a totally shit time when you play against them.  Allowing a grindey system like H3 had hurts a much larger portion of the player base than it helps.  Halo 3 matchmaking survived in spite of this system. it wasn't helped by it (except for maybe the top 5% of players).

You can "grind" ranks regardless of rank for the most part. For a 50 level player yeah grinding through 1-40 is easy but for a level 30 player, grinding to level 30 is not so easy. It did add longevity to match making. It's not like a level 50 in mlg has the skillset to get a 50 in FFA or snipers or swat, the meta/skills differ (general movement and positioning help tho). In my experience, I did not grind the level 1-40 ranks except mlg where it was lower than 40. After i got my 50 in doubles, I pursued 50s in all the other playlists which took 1000+ games if not 2000+ and I did not achieve that in all of them (ranked living dead or team throwback). It kept me playing. That comment you replied to wasn't about making smurfs, It was about my progression through all the play styles of halo3. 

halo3 had it right in my opinion. You grinded overall xp for progression (staff captain/brigadier general/5star), playlist xp, and rank. halo3 was huge and my classmates and I would talk about it. They weren't as skilled as me but they would talk about their progress in team swat where they had their highest skill in trying to get a 35; they would rotate playlists too trying to break the next 5 level bracket.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Teleporters are a great tool that really got the shaft in H3. The only maps that used them that I can recall are Cold Storage (remake) and some of the Forge maps that ended up in the Maption Sack rotational list.

For some reason it seems like they were given up on somewhere between H2 and 3 despite being a great tool.

avalanche (remake sorta) and valhalla heavies (forge map but it is in the btb official playlist). I also think at the some time there was some foundry map that was in 2v2 or maybe ffa. prob some in the living dead playlists but i dont remember any

I miss ladders too. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Teleporters would instantly make a lot of their shitty maps better. Portals would be even better, imo.

Riptide comes to mind...

• Upvote (+1) 4

Riptide comes to mind...

Riptide and Overgrowth would 100% become better maps if they had portals in them. Overgrowth would become a pseudo Rat Race and Riptide a pseudo Chill Out. Me and Smartan had plans for that with Evolved, but they never followed through. Forge maps are still better alternatives though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Did any of the non-remake maps in Halo 2 have ports?

Coag. Headlong. Ascension.  Beaver Creek (remake).  Containment. Gemini.  Relic. Warlock (remake).  

Pretty hefty list if you ask me.

They all got ported to Vista, remember?

As a modern video game player I find teleporters confusing and disorienting. I want to feel like a super soldier, not a scientist.

DOOM has teleporters and DOOM is probably the ultimate super soldier game on the market right now. Checkmate 343.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Came back to this thread late. But, to add something to the already great matchmaking/ranked play talk, how do you guys feel about promoting a certain playlist with rewards? Apollo and Hard Way have some amazing points with this talk, and one of you mentioned promoting Team Arena as THE ranked playlist. Gears 4 gives a certain weapon skin based on the season and ranked achieved in a certain playlist. So, to take that a step further, how about giving, say, a magnum skin based on rank to players in Team Arena. EG, an Onyx skin with CSR on the handle based on top rank achieved that season.

The only problem I could see with that model is that players in other playlists would be upset and not every player would be able to achieve a certain skin/reward. We've seen these type of complaints in Destiny, and are now in D2 with the pulse rifle being a reward for ranked Crucible.

It's something to think about that goes hand in hand with visible rank. I think it would be cool to tie yourself to your rank not only with that, but with in game cosmetics too. I understand not everyone has the mindset most of us do in wanting to get better. Nevertheless, I don't think promoting ranks and rewards would be a negative addition.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Came back to this thread late. But, to add something to the already great matchmaking/ranked play talk, how do you guys feel about promoting a certain playlist with rewards? Apollo and Hard Way have some amazing points with this talk, and one of you mentioned promoting Team Arena as THE ranked playlist. Gears 4 gives a certain weapon skin based on the season and ranked achieved in a certain playlist. So, to take that a step further, how about giving, say, a magnum skin based on rank to players in Team Arena. EG, an Onyx skin with CSR on the handle based on top rank achieved that season.

The only problem I could see with that model is that players in other playlists would be upset and not every player would be able to achieve a certain skin/reward. We've seen these type of complaints in Destiny, and are now in D2 with the pulse rifle being a reward for ranked Crucible.

It's something to think about that goes hand in hand with visible rank. I think it would be cool to tie yourself to your rank not only with that, but with in game cosmetics too. I understand not everyone has the mindset most of us do in wanting to get better. Nevertheless, I don't think promoting ranks and rewards would be a negative addition.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying something like this either to incentivize people to actively work at getting better.  They could do one for every rank.  Or to keep people playing it could be the reward for playing 10 games the next season. 10 games = Prior season rank reward (for top rank, not ending rank), 25 = rare cosmetic, 100 = Legendary cosmetic.  That way you are getting rewarded for your top rank last season, plus still have 2 more rewards to look forward to that only require play time commitment and not skill.  I'm specifically saying top rank during a season, and not ending rank because I wouldn't want to encourage people to stop playing if they reach an unexpectedly high rank and think they are going to drop before the season is over.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think Overwatch's competitive points system is brilliant. Having a system like this in place that adds cool cosmetic rewards for good players, but is not 100% exclusive to higher ranks (you have to be either very good or invest more time to get the same amount of points) is the way to go.

For those that don't know, every win gives 10 CP, plus the rank achieved at the end of the season gives anywhere from 400 (Bronze) -3000 (Grandmaster) CP if I remember correctly. These CP are the only way to buy gold weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can "grind" ranks regardless of rank for the most part. For a 50 level player yeah grinding through 1-40 is easy but for a level 30 player, grinding to level 30 is not so easy. It did add longevity to match making. It's not like a level 50 in mlg has the skillset to get a 50 in FFA or snipers or swat, the meta/skills differ (general movement and positioning help tho). In my experience, I did not grind the level 1-40 ranks except mlg where it was lower than 40. After i got my 50 in doubles, I pursued 50s in all the other playlists which took 1000+ games if not 2000+ and I did not achieve that in all of them (ranked living dead or team throwback). It kept me playing. That comment you replied to wasn't about making smurfs, It was about my progression through all the play styles of halo3. 

halo3 had it right in my opinion. You grinded overall xp for progression (staff captain/brigadier general/5star), playlist xp, and rank. halo3 was huge and my classmates and I would talk about it. They weren't as skilled as me but they would talk about their progress in team swat where they had their highest skill in trying to get a 35; they would rotate playlists too trying to break the next 5 level bracket.

I just don't agree with the grindey skill rank system.  Its really shitty for lower level players (eg. most people).  And i was not making any comment about smurphing at all.  That was a totally separate post.  Grinding overall XP and playlist XP is fine.  I like that and it really needs to come back in the H3/HR style, but grinding skill rank is really inferior to the systems we have now.  Sure, you could make it so "skill" rank is actually more a presentation of skill + playtime and do that actual matchmaking based on background MMR, but then the messaging would be all fucked up to the player since the visible ranks would be all over the place dependent on play time.

The ideal system has multiple motivational factors.  Skill should be placement matches then honest skill progression. The point of skill rank is to show you how good you are and get you fair matches as quickly as possible.  Playlist XP would be a mix, its mostly a grind but since you get a point for a win, 0 for a loss and -1 (or -2) for a quit, better players will inevitable get their playlist rank up faster.  And overall account XP would be more of a pure grind, rewarding playtime more than anything else. 

All of those could be tied to milestones for other rewards like achievements, cosmetics, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm just going to come out and say that I hate placement matches and seasons and all that. I'd much rather have the old 1-50 than the generic ass system we have now.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I do think there should be a singular focus on core modes (Team Arena, Doubles, FFA) providing the only visible rank (bronze - Champ).

But I also think there is value in having SOME sort of meaningful progression in other playlists, even social ones. I’ve become addicted to Angry Birds 2 as of late (I’m 3 years late to the party) and (ignoring the p2w design), it’s driven that point home to me.

The game features an arena mode: Weekly, you’re placed in a “league” with 10 or so players of a similar rank. It’s basically a ladder. You’ll play matches against the ghost of other similar lvl players, and every time you beat the ghost, you get league points. The larger the deficit in your match, the more league points you get. At the end of the week, rewards are handed out based on your position in the ladder. Also, the top 3 in the ladder are promoted to a higher league and the bottom 3 are demoted.

Honestly, I feel like it’s a pretty brilliant way to get people to keep coming back. Even though the game is casual as fuck, the appearance of a competitive angle makes me want to go a couple more rounds.

I think having these kinds of weekly leagues and challenges with cosmetic rewards would work well, even in modes outside of the core competitive modes. Ranking in competitive modes could have its own set of incentives. It would sure beat the shit out of Halo5’s Spartan Rank progression system- which just feels empty and meaningless.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Definitely with Apollo on this one. The modern placement system is better in every way (H2/H3 nostalgia aside) and there's a reason quite literally every game uses some form of it for ranked match-making now. A good compromise would be to replace the actual ranks themselves with the old 1-50 look to make it more, uh, "Halo-y."

Oh, and add party restrictions.

• Upvote (+1) 3