CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Except the H2BR is piss easy garbage and the H5 Magnum, for all this game's many, many problems, is literally the best starting weapon Halo has had in 15 years..

The H3 playlist was terrible.

Can't just say H3 Playlist was terrible without explaining a little.

Maps are balanced, excellent remakes and are way better than any of the current maps.

Maybe H2 BR is too easy, I'll agree with you there. But H5 Magnum being "the best starting weapon Halo has had in 15 years" is a little extreme. I don't know much about all the analytics as you prob seem to do to make that accusation but plain-and-simple Magnums are boring/aren't fun to use and the reason no ones playing it. If they were anywhere close to being the best starting weapon Halo has had in 15 years, I'm pretty sure they'd have more people playing this game for fun rather than playing it to win a $1M tournament. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Maps are balanced, excellent remakes and are way better than any of the current maps.

Maybe H2 BR is too easy, I'll agree with you there. But H5 Magnum being "the best starting weapon Halo has had in 15 years" is a little extreme. I don't know much about all the analytics as you prob seem to do to make that accusation but plain-and-simple Magnums are boring/aren't fun to use and the reason no ones playing it. If they were anywhere close to being the best starting weapon Halo has had in 15 years, I'm pretty sure they'd have more people playing this game for fun rather than playing it to win a $1M tournament. 

When I played the H3 playlist you had some good maps and then you had Isolation dropping what felt like single digit frame rates and Highground with a grand total of like 3 spawn points two of which are in the base and people spawn there unless someone literally stands right on top of it. I think Halo 5 sucks and that playlist felt "better" but Halo 3 on MCC is miles better than that playlist

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is this the "If we used the BR in competitive settings more people would play" argument? Cause it's not a good one.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Hey remember when they had BR starts in the beta and the population plummeted like an apocalyptic asteroid?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What an ignorant post.

H3 playlist, for all the things I liked about it, had slow as shit movement speed, grenades not tuned to accommodate for said speed, easy as shit BR, DOMINANT sniper that spawned too quickly for its power, HORRIBLE spawns on a lot of maps like Snowbound TS and High Ground, the easiest ghost in the series that had no counters on the map except rockets AND players couldn't thrust, highly questionable map weighting (I played The Pit exactly once, but played the shit out of Epilogue, Foundry, and High Ground), bad gametype/map pairings like High Ground Ball and Narrows Ball, and bad settings to boot (no flag at home to score on the maps that should have it, long return time). I still liked the feel of a more classic style of Halo, but that playlist had severe flaws and I can't blame people for not wanting to play it.

The magnum is a bad starting weapon because it's "boring"? Okay...didn't you just accuse someone of not backing up their argument with an explanation? That was you, right? So your stance is that because the starting weapon is skinned like a pistol instead of like a rifle, THAT'S why Halo 5 isn't popular? Not the convoluted controls creating an unnecessarily high skill floor/barrier to entry for new players while at the same time forcing weapon balance to accommodate for the movement abilities and thereby lowering the skill ceiling? Not the lack of features for months and months after launch, one of which being basic social playlists? Not the lack of accounting for party size in ranked games during the most crucial time in the game's life cycle? Not the HORRENDOUSLY balanced Warzone mode, which is front and center in the the game's multiplayer?  Nope. It's all due to the pew pew's looking like the wrong pew pew's. Okay. Good to know.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is this the "If we used the BR in competitive settings more people would play" argument? Cause it's not a good one.

Thanks for the heads up. Haven’t been involved with Halo for a while so wasn’t aware it’s been a broken record of an argument lol

What an ignorant post.

H3 playlist, for all the things I liked about it, had slow as shit movement speed, grenades not tuned to accommodate for said speed, easy as shit BR, DOMINANT sniper that spawned too quickly for its power, HORRIBLE spawns on a lot of maps like Snowbound TS and High Ground, the easiest ghost in the series that had no counters on the map except rockets AND players couldn't thrust, highly questionable map weighting (I played The Pit exactly once, but played the shit out of Epilogue, Foundry, and High Ground), bad gametype/map pairings like High Ground Ball and Narrows Ball, and bad settings to boot (no flag at home to score on the maps that should have it, long return time). I still liked the feel of a more classic style of Halo, but that playlist had severe flaws and I can't blame people for not wanting to play it.

The magnum is a bad starting weapon because it's "boring"? Okay...didn't you just accuse someone of not backing up their argument with an explanation? That was you, right? So your stance is that because the starting weapon is skinned like a pistol instead of like a rifle, THAT'S why Halo 5 isn't popular? Not the convoluted controls creating an unnecessarily high skill floor/barrier to entry for new players while at the same time forcing weapon balance to accommodate for the movement abilities and thereby lowering the skill ceiling? Not the lack of features for months and months after launch, one of which being basic social playlists? Not the lack of accounting for party size in ranked games during the most crucial time in the game's life cycle? Not the HORRENDOUSLY balanced Warzone mode, which is front and center in the the game's multiplayer?  Nope. It's all due to the pew pew's looking like the wrong pew pew's. Okay. Good to know.

Don’t know why this was hard as shit to read. I mentioned I didn’t know much about the analytics (which you seem to do) but rather giving an honest opinion of playing the playlist for a few weeks. I imagine a day’s work of tweaks over at 343 would solve a bunch of these flaws.

And to the guys who said H3 on MCC is better, I agree!

People played the old Halo’s because they were fun, and tournaments gave incentive which made it so huge. Halo 5 isn’t fun for more than a few days of initially playing it with friends. No the magnum is not the only reason, but yes it’s part of the reason why competitive isn’t fun. You get tired of it fast, putting it in simple terms.. it’s boring.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Don’t know why this was hard as shit to read. I mentioned I didn’t know much about the analytics (which you seem to do) but rather giving an honest opinion of playing the playlist for a few weeks. I imagine a day’s work of tweaks over at 343 would solve a bunch of these flaws.

And to the guys who said H3 on MCC is better, I agree!

People played the old Halo’s because they were fun, and tournaments gave incentive which made it so huge. Halo 5 isn’t fun for more than a few days of initially playing it with friends. No the magnum is not the only reason, but yes it’s part of the reason why competitive isn’t fun. You get tired of it fast, putting it in simple terms.. it’s boring.

Yeah that’s the frustrating part about the playlist. A lot of the problems would take me a half hour to fix.

I just don’t understand how the magnum is part of the problem. Most of us agree it’s a bright spot in the game. Is it it’s shooting mechanics (hitscan single shot), or is it an aesthetics problem and you’d rather have it look and sound like a rifle (I would too, btw). To me it just seems like a weird thing to get hung up on.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah that’s the frustrating part about the playlist. A lot of the problems would take me a half hour to fix.

I just don’t understand how the magnum is part of the problem. Most of us agree it’s a bright spot in the game. Is it it’s shooting mechanics (hitscan single shot), or is it an aesthetics problem and you’d rather have it look and sound like a rifle (I would too, btw). To me it just seems like a weird thing to get hung up on.

For me, it's just uncomfortable to use and would rather the Battle Rifle. Which is where this whole discussion started.

Played years of Reach and was totally used to the DMR single shot from the start so I don't think it's so much about the shooting mechanics.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For me, it's just uncomfortable to use and would rather the Battle Rifle. Which is where this whole discussion started.

Played years of Reach and was totally used to the DMR single shot from the start so I don't think it's so much about the shooting mechanics.

That sounds like the actual problem is Halo 5's notoriously awful aiming system combined with absurd magnetism when you have red reticule vs very short red reticule range. Although I may be a bit mistaken about the RRR, haven't played H5 in a while.

And don't worry, nearly everyone here has that issue with it.

Edit: So, basically the aiming mechanics.

• Upvote (+1) 3

My problem was never with the actual H5 magnum itself. It was just that I couldn't aim the damn thing properly was my issue. Now the PC version, where I made a video demonstrating the differences between the two, the aiming is significantly better.

Put a proper classic mode, tune the grenades, grab some decent maps, fix the aiming system to H5 PC's aiming system, and balance out some of the weapons.. Instant gratification in the classic playlist. With the red obviously being one that can't be fixed apparently. But I haven't turned H5 on in about a year or so now so maybe things are slightly better.. (I believe from what I've read on here over time?).

I don't know, I just now that the current direction of Halo isn't "fresh". It's just frustrating and that's the reason our game really sucks these days.

That being said, I heard a lot of good things about that H3 classic playlist. As long as people are actually having fun, I don't see why they would remove it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Glad to know I'm not the only person who prefers the v7 DMR.

Well of course at 45 fps id prefer using it in reach as well.

The DMR is the better weapon, especially when turned into a 4sk with the 125% damage/resistance glitch. The Tac Mag has potential, but seeing that 343i is too stubborn to make it the starting weapon and instead uses it as a map pickup (lmao) the Reach DMR is the clear winner.

The DMR is the better weapon, especially when turned into a 4sk with the 125% damage/resistance glitch. The Tac Mag has potential, but seeing that 343i is too stubborn to make it the starting weapon and instead uses it as a map pickup (lmao) the Reach DMR is the clear winner.

glitch?

I hate the sound of the tac mag. Both in my own hands and elsewhere on the map. It’s one of the only times where aesthetics actually influence my opinion on gameplay.

I hate the sound of the tac mag as a starting weapon, both in my own hands and elsewhere on the map. It’s one of the only times where aesthetics actually influence my opinion on gameplay.