CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I mean... how many variations of "Sci fi marine" are out there across various media right now.... Probably thousands.  If you look hard enough, you are going to find versions that look like each other.  Probably a lot of them.  There are only so many variations on the "suit of armor plus helmet that still looks like it could actually be functional for a human" that you can create.

This looks like someone trying really really hard to come up with a new way to bash 343.  There are plenty of legit things to complain about, so this is just silly.

The 343 Marine still looks like shit though.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't care how original or not something is as much as I care that it's good.

And 343i's art direction...well...it's certainly not good.  Pioneer armor wouldn't be any less ugly if they had stolen it from someone else.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This looks like someone trying really really hard to come up with a new way to bash 343.  There are plenty of legit things to complain about, so this is just silly.

We've complained about those "legit things" for years...

Dusted off the Xbox One and Halo 5 after not playing for a LONG time.

First game: 2 players quit on opposing team in first 90 seconds.

SMH.

We've complained about those "legit things" for years...

yes but i fail to see how that means we must find stupid, irrelevant, more-than-likely-not-true new bullshit to complain about now....

• Upvote (+1) 1

yes but i fail to see how that means we must find stupid, irrelevant, more-than-likely-not-true new bullshit to complain about now....

Boredom?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Boredom?

lol as good a reason as any i suppose.

I haven't enjoyed Warzone since the REQ station glitch that forced AR and Magnum the entire match on both sides.

That was strictly fun.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I haven't enjoyed Warzone since the REQ station glitch that forced AR and Magnum the entire match on both sides.

That was strictly fun.

The initial 2 minutes are fun, with both teams rushing to the "B Flag" and using strictly Mags, ARs and Nades. It's fun untilpeople start calling in Ghosts and Wasps. Then it gets progressively worse and finally the outcome of the match is decided by completel RNG aka who gets the final shot on the 200 point boss. How fucking stupid can a gametype be.

“Hey guys, how about instead of just having a simple majority to convert a base, or making the base work like an extraction beacon, instead we make the attacking team completely eradicate the enemy presence, and then keep the base completely vacant of enemy presence for a super long fucking time?”

“That’s great Kevin, but if we’re gonna do that, we have to make sure that the defending team can spawn right outside of their besieged base with whatever weapon or powerup they want, so that they can endlessly contest their own base. And make sure that allnit takes is one guy to spawn into the game with a camo, and then go hide inside his own base to contest it with impunity until it expires. That way EVERY game is a disgusting snowball mess that’s decided on the opening rush. We can’t have the middle base changing hands at any point, now can we?”

“I like where your head’s at Josh, but we need to take it a step further. Let’s let the defending team literally spawn directly into the base with a vehicle, and then just drive around and contest the base to buy time for his teammates. That way the only way they could ever hope to retake an objective is to have a massive force of teammates in the base with you, and have them win like 4 fights in a row before they can cap the base.”

“That’s fantastic Kevin. That would make for truly unfun games. But just to make sure a team can NEVER retake a base, we better remove teammate icons so that teams can’t ever be coordinated enough to take a base together.”

“Perfect. So now that base capping is completely unviable, we need to make going after bosses a completely unattractive option too, so that the player feels like nothing he does matters and that the game is already decided in the first few minutes.”

“Oh, too easy Kevin. Just make every meaningful boss take 10 minutes of sustained tank fire to kill, so that the out-of-control team can never get one sneakily.”

“Hmm that’s good, but it still sounds like there’s a glimmer of hope we can extinguish...”

“I was getting to that. Make it so that only the last hit counts. No partial credit at all. That way, since it takes so long to kill them, the losing team is discouraged to even begin killing the boss at all, and they will sit there all game acting as bait.”

“PERFECT! By making both capturing bases and killing bosses a futile prospect, we will have completely frustrated and demoralized the losing team.”

“Not completely. Not yet. We can still give the team that’s already winning access to better reqs, and let kills with those reqs fill their meter faster. That way they always have the best weapons. Even if you manage to kill one, you can rest assured he’ll spawn right back into the game with the same thing or better. That will completely crush the souls of our players.”

“Yes that’s amazing, but there’s still more we can do to fuck them. Let’s make the games drag out for 25 minutes, but dangle hope for a merciful endgame in front of the losing team, like having their core destroyed. But we’ll design all the home bases like a shitty bottleneck, so that actually going for the core isn’t an attractive option to the winning team, and the losing team just gets hammerfucked for 15 minutes while they watch the other team’s score slowly crawl up.”

*ejaculates* “....Ship it.”

I just laughed so hard reading this i peed a little.

Then i cried because all this work on warzone left big team, the only social experience i have ever enjoyed, out to dry.  Turning it into a pit of forge dependent, underdeveloped, frame-dropping sadness....

• Upvote (+1) 5

I love how people on r/halo think literally no one wants to have classic Halo back or at the least wouldn't mind it because Halo 3 backwards compatible is deserted and the Halo 5 H3 playlist is empty.

I just can't. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't care how original or not something is as much as I care that it's good.

And 343i's art direction...well...it's certainly not good.  Pioneer armor wouldn't be any less ugly if they had stolen it from someone else.

#ARTSTYLE

Halo-5-Guardians-Coliseum-Screenshot-7.j

• Upvote (+1) 4

I love how people on r/halo think literally no one wants to have classic Halo back or at the least wouldn't mind it because Halo 3 backwards compatible is deserted and the Halo 5 H3 playlist is empty.

I just can't. 

orly? An 11 year old game that doesn't play quite right on BC and another that is heavily modified H5 with some very obvious, very fixable problems aren't the most populated playlists/games of the year? color me shocked...

The H3 playlist did quite well though in reality, despite its movement speed/grenade/framerate/Sniper-is-even-more-op problems.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I just can't. 

That's how 343 rolls. They announce a "classic" Halo playlist/experience and then intentionally rip the guts out of it and make sure it's boring and bland and that nobody wants to play it. They did it with H2A, they did it again with the H3 in H5 playlist. This gives them plausible deniability when saying "Hey there Spartans, we noticed that nobody's playing this playlist so it appears that you don't actually like classic Halo after all!"

• Upvote (+1) 7

How do you guys feel about non-euclidean geometry in future Halo titles? I feel that it could create some bizarre gameplay. Hell, it could breathe new life into some classic maps as well. Competitors would be able to see and shoot directly through to the other side, instead of just appearing in a different location instantly. Just imagine how Damnation would play with this concept. Portal camping wouldn't be a thing without a direct counter. New, interesting sightlines can create some fresh, mind bending map layouts. The only issue I can think of is looping projectiles, where a rocket or bullet could theoretically keep flying through two portals forever. Fortunately, that's a simple fix with good map design IMO.

I photoshopped (terribly) an example from Warlock. The GIF below is a collection of videos from an indie game I saw on reddit a few years ago.

beZEJOg.jpg?

Indie Shooter GIF

• Upvote (+1) 8

that looks badass...

watching that reminds me that wish they took a more radical approach to forerunner weaponry. the most technologically advanced beings known to man used used the modern day equivalent of pistols, shotguns and Assualt rifles to control the galaxy- it's boring.

i always felt a portal gun would be an interesting addition to the sandbox as a powerweapon. i think it also would've been cool if the guiding theme behind forerunner weapons was to manipulate physics.

i dunno, maybe none of that would work in a competitive setting, but it would be a lot more interesting that getting reskins of the same weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 4

that looks badass...

watching that reminds me that wish they took a more radical approach to forerunner weaponry. the most technologically advanced beings known to man used used the modern day equivalent of pistols, shotguns and Assualt rifles to control the galaxy- it's boring.

i always felt a portal gun would be an interesting addition to the sandbox as a powerweapon. i think it also would've been cool if the guiding theme behind forerunner weapons was to manipulate physics.

i dunno, maybe none of that would work in a competitive setting, but it would be a lot more interesting that getting reskins of the same weapons.

Even if that was a custom game option. Imagine the portal-esque shit forgers would come up with? Delicious

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Boredom?

I could name a few more reasons.

1. The first three Halo games (mainly 1 and 3) had a unique, unparalleled religious art style to the series. Some of it was lost in Reach, and every single aspect of the art design was changed in Halo 4 - making everything look glossy and more akin to other sci-fi games and movies. It just looks so uninspired, and the fact that you have marines which looked like they were ripped straight out of the comic book, worse.
  2. It further solidifies the popular opinion on this forum that 343i are anything, but creative with their games.
  3. It's a smaller issue than what we've complained about in the past, but it's still an issue from aesthetic stand point because they didn't even bother trying to differentiate the Marine design from a 12-year-old Batman comic - that's lazy.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I could name a few more reasons.

• The first three Halo games (mainly 1 and 3) had a unique, unparalleled religious art style to the series. Some of it was lost in Reach, and every single aspect of the art design was changed in Halo 4 - making everything look glossy and more akin to other sci-fi games and movies. It just looks so uninspired, and the fact that you have marines which looked like they were ripped straight out of the comic book, worse.
  • It further solidifies the popular opinion on this forum that 343i are anything, but creative with their games.
  • It's a smaller issue than what we've complained about in the past, but it's still an issue from aesthetic stand point because they didn't even bother trying to differentiate the Marine design from a 12-year-old Batman comic - that's lazy.

All of those are legit complaints but are also really not relevant to this singular accusation of artistic plagiarism.

Design a "sci fi human marine" that looks like it could actually be functional while also making sure it doesn't look at all similar to any other design that has ever been done since Aliens. You can't. Nobody can. It's a pretty generic form that has been done thousands of times. There are only so many ways to strap a helmet and body armor on a human form.

It's not that most of your complaints aren't valid, they are, this specific example/accusation is just bad and reeks of someone trying way too hard to be disparaging.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just as an FYI since I just dug into this game a little. If you join the devs discord and ask for a key in the key channel a bot will instantly send you a steam key to join the next playtest.

discord.gg/wormholewars

EDIT: The next playtest has not been announced. But looking at their previous schedule they have one or two every month.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Only read what was said about it on the last page here but why on earth did 343i remove Halo 3 Classic playlist? I mean, they had to have put in a ton of effort for those maps. To have it replaced by a playlist where if you changed the primary and put sprint back in, you'd have Halo 5 again. Am I wrong? The stats for this playlist can't be THAT bad.

IMO,

1. They should've added H2 BR to competitive a long time ago, and not pistols.

2. They could've added H2 BR to their remodeled Halo 3 maps.

3. Should've made H3 Classic competitive.

We're at a point where they think we want Grifball, Action Sack, and Infection all in separate perma playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Only read what was said about it on the last page here but why on earth did 343i remove Halo 3 Classic playlist? I mean, they had to have put in a ton of effort for those maps. To have it replaced by a playlist where if you changed the primary and put sprint back in, you'd have Halo 5 again. Am I wrong? The stats for this playlist can't be THAT bad.

IMO,

1. They should've added H2 BR to competitive a long time ago, and not pistols.

2. They could've added H2 BR to their remodeled Halo 3 maps.

3. Should've made H3 Classic competitive.

We're at a point where they think we want Grifball, Action Sack, and Infection all in separate perma playlists.

Except the H2BR is piss easy garbage and the H5 Magnum, for all this game's many, many problems, is literally the best starting weapon Halo has had in 15 years..

The H3 playlist was terrible.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Even if that was a custom game option. Imagine the portal-esque shit forgers would come up with? Delicious

that's my thinking exactly. even if it didn't work out as a standard weapon on map. just having the tech in the game would be a Godsend for UGC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean if they had portals you could shoot through you'd have a million new angles for map balance. Top green too strong? Put a window in bottom red that drops nades into green or whatever. You could do so many things even with portals players themselves could never get through. You could do crazy stuff with inverted maps where bottom mid was actually top control etc. Like having a guy on construct closed street shooting down to bottom mid and that guy looking down below him to shoot the guy on closed street lol

• Upvote (+1) 3