CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I mean it can be summed up pretty easily as

1. How hard is this to use

2. How quickly does it kill on average and what's the shortest kill time possible

3. How many shots does it have

4. How often is someone using this

5. How much range does it have

If someone can work through that and come back with an AR that's easier than the magnum, a similar kill time, with a lot of effective range you can tell them to go back and walk through all of that again because they obviously didn't think about what they were doing. You don't have to be some kind of hardcore Halo player to make logical decisions.

Bad things only happen when you take the above and create a weapon that doesn't have weakness or only has weaknesses. Rockets were fine because of the difficulty of long range kills and relatively few shots. The sniper was fine because people actually missed with it often so it was okay when skill was rewarded greatly with 1 shot kills if you actually could hit the shots. The AR was fine because despite being extremely easy the kill time was typically longer and it had less range than other weapons. Its all give and take. When something like the sniper stops being hard to hit shots with the game breaks because now its just better. There is no trade off anymore and that person just goes and rails everyone on the map for awhile unless they're just completely awful or very unlucky

I mean that most of the community still seems to think utility weapons are a bad idea, everything needs to be equally capable of getting kills, we should have 5 automatics that are all useless past close range, the pistol should just be an inferior DMR, etc.

A LOT of people think Halo 5 has "great balance."

I mean that most of the community still seems to think utility weapons are a bad idea, everything needs to be equally capable of getting kills, we should have 5 automatics that are all useless past close range, the pistol should just be an inferior DMR, etc.

A LOT of people think Halo 5 has "great balance."

That's because some people want their weapon to be a cosmetic choice (or even just the best weapon in the game) and Halo 5 is unfortunately closer to that but still nowhere close really. That is technically balanced if everything is literally the same thing but if they all have equal kill times but variable difficulty of use even the most dense person will have to admit that it isn't actually balanced at all. You'll just use the easiest weapon you can get your hands on unless you like putting yourself at a disadvantage. That's basically how the first 2 years of Halo 5 went.

That's basically how the first 2 years of Halo 5 went.

Just realized that the first 2.

5 years of H5 will go down in history as "pre-patch H5".

So its April Fools and this is on r/Halo

And I can't tell if its actually a prank because It would be such a 343 thing to do by making a Battle Royale game since thats the hot trend atm.

• Upvote (+1) 3

And I can't tell if its actually a prank because It would be such a 343 thing to do by making a Battle Royale game since thats the hot trend atm.

Hopefully the April Fools joke is confirmation that it isn’t happening.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hopefully the April Fools joke is confirmation that it isn’t happening.

This was my first thought. I mean, would I play it? Sure, but I'd really hope that 343 doesn't go chasing trends.

The next Halo game just needs to do what Halo does best. It doesn't need to bring in other game's elements.

The user is "Sko7ch343"

• Upvote (+1) 1

How do you guys feel about non-euclidean geometry in future Halo titles? I feel that it could create some bizarre gameplay. Hell, it could breathe new life into some classic maps as well. Competitors would be able to see and shoot directly through to the other side, instead of just appearing in a different location instantly. Just imagine how Damnation would play with this concept. Portal camping wouldn't be a thing without a direct counter. New, interesting sightlines can create some fresh, mind bending map layouts. The only issue I can think of is looping projectiles, where a rocket or bullet could theoretically keep flying through two portals forever. Fortunately, that's a simple fix with good map design IMO.

I photoshopped (terribly) an example from Warlock. The GIF below is a collection of videos from an indie game I saw on reddit a few years ago.

beZEJOg.jpg?

Indie Shooter GIF

I'd definitely be down for this, I'm pretty sure I've actually said this a number of times. Imagine on Damnation sniping someone from Top Red, diagonally-down at like shotgun or something. Would be dope.

How do you guys feel about non-euclidean geometry in future Halo titles? I feel that it could create some bizarre gameplay. Hell, it could breathe new life into some classic maps as well. Competitors would be able to see and shoot directly through to the other side, instead of just appearing in a different location instantly. Just imagine how Damnation would play with this concept. Portal camping wouldn't be a thing without a direct counter. New, interesting sightlines can create some fresh, mind bending map layouts. The only issue I can think of is looping projectiles, where a rocket or bullet could theoretically keep flying through two portals forever. Fortunately, that's a simple fix with good map design IMO.

I photoshopped (terribly) an example from Warlock. The GIF below is a collection of videos from an indie game I saw on reddit a few years ago.

Indie Shooter GIF

This would be super interesting, I always hated how teleporters make it so easy to escape gunfights (and this was before sprint haha) and then hide next to the teleported like a bitch and get an easy melee for the trade. I'd totally be down for this. It's a shame bungie and now 343 slowly got rid of all telepoters over the years. Is there any teleporter in H5 aside from map remakes? Can't think of any.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd love to be able to see and shoot through two-way teleporters.  One-way teleporters are a bit of a grey area but might still work out.

Unfortunately not that it would be relevant because 343i absolutely refuses to put teleporters on their maps for some reason.

"Let's throw out this idea and if r/Halo fans like it we'll do it, and if not we'll claim it's a prank."

-343i, probably.

Unfortunately not that it would be relevant because 343i absolutely refuses to put teleporters on their maps for some reason.

I imagine it might be harder to implement teleporters into maps designed to produce enough dead space to justify the current movement system. Although I think the human-dominant aesthetics are also to blame.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This would be super interesting, I always hated how teleporters make it so easy to escape gunfights (and this was before sprint haha) and then hide next to the teleported like a bitch and get an easy melee for the trade. I'd totally be down for this. It's a shame bungie and now 343 slowly got rid of all telepoters over the years. Is there any teleporter in H5 aside from map remakes? Can't think of any.

I don't think there's been a non-remake teleporter since Halo 2.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I imagine it might be harder to implement teleporters into maps designed to produce enough dead space to justify the current movement system. Although I think the human-dominant aesthetics are also to blame.

I wish they’d go all out with the War Games concept they’ve got going on. There was one map in Titanfall 1 and I think in 2, where it’s clear it’s a simulation with parts of geometry merging and it looked dope as shit.

I wanna see a Covenant, Human and Forerunner map all blended in.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wish they’d go all out with the War Games concept they’ve got going on. There was one map in Titanfall 1 and I think in 2, where it’s clear it’s a simulation with parts of geometry merging and it looked dope as shit.

I wanna see a Covenant, Human and Forerunner map all blended in.

Would be a sick Warzone Royale idea ;)

beZEJOg.jpg?

Indie Shooter GIF

looping projectiles isn't really a problem without good map design. just set a limit on bullet travel.

I think it would be a cool option and should be explored. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

beZEJOg.jpg?

Indie Shooter GIF

I’ve actually been thinking about this for a long time. It would be a much better solution than teleporters, and could help soften strongpoints w/o too much impact to the rest of the map.

Wouldn't this make it possible to shoot yourself on Warlock/Wizard? Pretty sure one set of teleporters has a LOS on the other right? Would be hilarious to trick people into killing themselves.

EbF24Hi.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/89bsuw/last_week_i_did_elites_now_its_time_for_marines/dwq0wft/

well apparently 343 quite literally stole their "new" "Marine" Design from an 2006 Batman comic...it doesn't just suck, it's a rip-off altogether, praise to 343's new Halo world.

i mean it's not like Halo art hasn't always been heavily inspired by other works. it's more a question of "why". why dramatically change art direction when the previous was adored?

• Upvote (+1) 1

i mean it's not like Halo art hasn't always been heavily inspired by other works. it's more a question of "why". why dramatically change art direction when the previous was adored?

beeing inspired by other works is one thing, but it comes down to how heavily your design "borrows" from forign work.

Going from starship troopers to Halo Marines is what I'd call "beeing inspired", you can see similarities but it's still Bungies own thing. 343's Marine Design looks like they used that Batman picture as a concept art and recreated it as a 3d asset and implemented it into H4, they even used the same color scheme...

I mean... how many variations of "Sci fi marine" are out there across various media right now.... Probably thousands.  If you look hard enough, you are going to find versions that look like each other.  Probably a lot of them.  There are only so many variations on the "suit of armor plus helmet that still looks like it could actually be functional for a human" that you can create.

This looks like someone trying really really hard to come up with a new way to bash 343.  There are plenty of legit things to complain about, so this is just silly.

• Upvote (+1) 2