CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Turns out when you hire people who hate halo, they tend to bring in ideas that would fit better somewhere else rather than in the game that they hate because it doesn't have that feature.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Turns out when you hire people who hate halo, they tend to bring in ideas that would fit better somewhere else rather than in the game that they hate because it doesn't have that feature.

Having people that contradict or challenge the status quo is good for any business. Whether or not certain ideas ended up being good or bad for Halo is more a product of what Halo has become over the years rather than a byproduct of a dogmatic adherence to made up principles of Halo game design.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Never have I played a game in which if you take a two day break from you become garbage as is the case with Halo 5. When I was grinding for Orlando I really had a lot of fun on the game. Only by playing every day can you become in tune with the Spirit of the Servers on Halo 5. If not, you spend most of your time flicking the thumbstick around wondering why your reticle isn't making the same corresponding movements it was making a couple days prior. It feels foreign each time I turn on the Xbox. I hate the game because of this and want to stop playing but I still have a competitive Halo itch that I can't satisfy with MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, H5 is the worst game I've experienced when it comes to taking short or long breaks from it. It's like I've lost all muscle memory when it comes to aiming after I come back to the game.

Unrelated, but I ran into Neighbor in the H3 playlist which was cool to see him still playing. Sucks it happened on the map that I barely played on so I didn't know where anything spawned. It wouldn't have changed the outcome of losing, but it would've been a better game for me.

Having people that contradict or challenge the status quo is good for any business. Whether or not certain ideas ended up being good or bad for Halo is more a product of what Halo has become over the years rather than a byproduct of a dogmatic adherence to made up principles of Halo game design.

lol

Hey guys, I heard Marriott is thinking about taking all the beds out of their hotel rooms. What do you mean it's a dumb idea? They're challenging the status quo! Open your mind!

• Upvote (+1) 3

lol

Hey guys, I heard Marriott is thinking about taking all the beds out of their hotel rooms. What do you mean it's a dumb idea? They're challenging the status quo! Open your mind!

Literally not even remotely close to the same thing. You didn't even try come on you can do better.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Literally not even remotely close to the same thing. You didn't even try come on you can do better.

Halo = Marriott

Beds = Balance/Good Maps/Fun/Gametypes/Skill/Split-screen/Story

Hmm, I think his analogy was too soft. More like Marriott sold you a room and then threw you in the back alley. But they gave you an old blanket at least. 

Halo = Marriott

Beds = Balance/Good Maps/Fun/Gametypes/Skill/Split-screen/Story

Hmm, I think his analogy was too soft. More like Marriott sold you a room and then threw you in the back alley. But they gave you an old blanket at least. 

That's Hilton.

Yeah, H5 is the worst game I've experienced when it comes to taking short or long breaks from it. It's like I've lost all muscle memory when it comes to aiming after I come back to the game.

I concur.

I came back to H5 after not playing it seriously for a while; my aim was so bad that one of my teammates cursed me out for sucking lol.

Seriously though I cannot aim in this game, 343 fucked up the aiming hard. If it weren't for the extremely high amounts of aim assist (which practically serves as a band aid), I don't think anyone would be able to hit much of anything. Also, I would definitely say that Halo 5's uniquely bad aiming means that in order to be modestly proficient, one has to constantly play to get somewhat used to just how bad it is.

Playing through the campaign for only the second time since I got this game(on day one), mostly because I haven't checked it out in 4K yet. Story is as mediocre as I remember. But I also remember thinking the level design was pretty good when I first played it. I still think that now. Pretty underrated from a gameplay standpoint. Also, this game looks great. I don't quite like all the art design choices when it comes to how the Spartans and human weapons look, but everything else is top notch. I will say this, 343 has been much better on the technical side of things than Bungie ever was. Halo 5's campaign plays as smooth as butter. And I don't mind all these spartan abilities when I'm not playing multiplayer. But the multiplayer truly is a clusterfuck and I can't really play more than a few games without quitting.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You'd think a playlist that is basically a really bad remake of a different Halo title within Halo 5 being more popular than most playlists would be setting off some alarms

• Upvote (+1) 3

Playing through the campaign for only the second time since I got this game(on day one), mostly because I haven't checked it out in 4K yet. Story is as mediocre as I remember. But I also remember thinking the level design was pretty good when I first played it. I still think that now. Pretty underrated from a gameplay standpoint. Also, this game looks great. I don't quite like all the art design choices when it comes to how the Spartans and human weapons look, but everything else is top notch. I will say this, 343 has been much better on the technical side of things than Bungie ever was. Halo 5's campaign plays as smooth as butter. And I don't mind all these spartan abilities when I'm not playing multiplayer. But the multiplayer truly is a clusterfuck and I can't really play more than a few games without quitting.

Lol the campaign's even worse than the multiplayer.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I can’t really agree. 343 has a knack for cramming advanced tech into these games- to the detriment of function.

Halo 5 incorporates dynamic resolution, physics based rendering, and an overhauled lighting engine- but outside of Sanghelios, I generally hate how it all looks. Materials manage to look worse than when they were hand drawn textures with custom light maps. The lighting glitches out as the resolution changes. The change in visual quality from Sanghelios desert to Sunion is jarring. So many low res textures and harsh jaggies.

H3 looks better than H5.

• Upvote (+1) 7

343 has been much better on the technical side of things than Bungie ever was. Halo 5's campaign plays as smooth as butter.

This is a joke right? H5 has the buggiest UI of any game I've every played (besides MCC of course), the framerate is all over the place, 15 FPS animations on anything further than mid range, pathetic ground textures the list just goes on and on. Bungie was never about "let's get the most amount of polygons and eye-cancer lights on the screen!" like 343 is, but their games just worked and had great art style.

And I don't mind all these spartan abilities when I'm not playing multiplayer.

The problem with the Spartan Gimmicks isn't just their inherent lack of balance and detrimental effects on map design in MP. They also make the basic act of playing the game a chore and this is no different in the campaign. Just play the H3 playlist for 5-10 games and then try to go back to Advance Space Warfare Halo, it's jarring at best.

• Upvote (+1) 8

The problem with the Spartan Gimmicks isn't just their inherent lack of balance and detrimental effects on map design in MP. They also make the basic act of playing the game a chore and this is no different in the campaign. Just play the H3 playlist for 5-10 games and then try to go back to Advance Space Warfare Halo, it's jarring at best.

Just wait until Halo 6. Wallrunning, Grappling Hooks there's so much more stuff to make me feel like a Spartan! CAN'T WAIT!

• Upvote (+1) 6

I can’t really agree. 343 has a knack for cramming advanced tech into these games- to the detriment of function.

Halo 5 incorporates dynamic resolution, physics based rendering, and an overhauled lighting engine- but outside of Sanghelios, I generally hate how it all looks. Materials manage to look worse than when they were hand drawn textures with custom light maps. The lighting glitches out as the resolution changes. The change in visual quality from Sanghelios desert to Sunion is jarring. So many low res textures and harsh jaggies.

H3 looks better than H5.

The simplest i explain it is that everything looks like its made out of waxy plastic.

Transitioning from HCS to the H3 list isn't too bad. Its pretty great in fact.  But when i switch back to HCS..... holy crap. I totally play like shit.  Aim is off. i forget that sprint is a thing.  I have to swap my X and RB so i can thrust (and yeah.. that means I throw my grenades with X). When i do thrust, i windmill like a mofo.

One of the things that the H3 list has made me appreciate is harder edges in the map design and slower fire rate.  Not different kill times, i actually like the kill time of the magnum but i think if that kill time took place over 4 shots instead of 5, it would be better.  And the harder edges on the map, combined with the slower fire rate of the BR, make peek-shooting actually a thing again.  I didn't realize how much i missed being able to turn around a fight not by thrusting or crouching to make someone miss and hoping it doesn't throw off my own aim, but by actually using the geometry of the map more effectively for cover.

• Upvote (+1) 3

H3 looks better than H5.

Nah. It's pretty obvious 343 has the edge from a tech standpoint. It's not really arguable so you might as well quit trying. Bungie couldn't even get 720p out of their 360 games. 343 did it in one game and it ended up being the best looking game on the console to boot. Bungie was garbage on that end. But yea, ya'll keep acting like H5 doesn't look good just so you can satisfy your hive-mind mentality.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 7

Nah. It's pretty obvious 343 has the edge from a tech standpoint. It's not really arguable so you might as well quit trying. Bungie couldn't even get 720p out of their 360 games. 343 did it in one game and it ended up being the best looking game on the console to boot. Bungie was garbage on that end. But yea, ya'll keep acting like H5 doesn't look good just so you can satisfy your hive-mind mentality.

I don’t think you understand my argument. 343 DOES use more advanced tech, but the end result is less appealing functionally.

The cost of H4’s technical achievements? Obnoxiously Linear Map Design, Weapons that despawn instantly, tiny set peices, loss of contrasting colors.

The cost of H5’s technical achievements? A dynamic resolution. Jaggies everywhere, low frame rate animations, lighting that glitches out, more linear levels, and boring linear set peices, a Physics Based Renderer that makes all materials look nearly identical.

I don’t remember caring that H3 wasn’t 720p. H5 is 1080p most of the time, but the game looked and ran better in is 720p Beta form (minus the obnoxious lighting)

The key to a good visual presentation isn’t throwing as many fancy techniques into the code as possible.it's Leveraging the hardware in a way that allows the tech to achieve appealing aesthetics.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Yeah, so good that the game forewent Anisotropic Filtering higher than x4, when x16 typically presents less than a 1% performance reduction. So good, where most textures look worse than those in H3, and yet are terribly compressed resulting in a 100GB game size for no reason. So great, that the UI is the worst out of pretty much any AAA game out there, and one that experiences common hitches; even the REQ stations froze the game for a second before an update that came a year and a half into the games life cycle.

QcayfnQ.jpga2cMqnN.jpg

https://youtu.be/-gQMulb6T2o?t=5m19s

• Upvote (+1) 7

Nah. It's pretty obvious 343 has the edge from a tech standpoint. It's not really arguable so you might as well quit trying.

Technology so advanced they break both theater and Forge mode? You realize half of "tech" and good development practices revolve around unit testing, right? How well do you think 343 has done on that front? I think this discussion has less to do with us having "no arguments" and more to do with your inability to acknowledge them.

Bungie couldn't even get 720p out of their 360 games. 343 did it in one game and it ended up being the best looking game on the console to boot. Bungie was garbage on that end.

Ah yes, Halo 4, home of the 11 second weapon despawn. Real impressive. I'll take weaker graphics and a better art style over that shit anytime any day.

But yea, ya'll keep acting like H5 doesn't look good just so you can satisfy your hive-mind mentality.

Uhh...H5 looks like shit compared to current-gen games. I mean, I don't have to "act" like H5 doesn't look good, the artstyle is still horrendous, and most of the community "beyond Beyond" acknowledges that. I mean, sure, yeah, it has better graphics than Halo games that came out a decade ago I guess?  If that's what we should be celebrating right now, the franchise really is done for lol.

• Upvote (+1) 9