CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm just waiting till 343 says fuck it and gives us the most fucked up halo game ever.

There are those who say that day will never come.  What they to say when it does?

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are those who say that day will never come.  What they to say when it does?

Prior to H2 releasing, a French copy of the game leaked online that we tried and failed to run on a soft-modded OG xbox.  In honor of that, I wore a plain white tshirt, that I wrote the google translated French of that quote on for the actual H2 launch date in 10th grade.

The cringe flows through me hard when picturing myself walking around school that day, explaining my shirt.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Prior to H2 releasing, a French copy of the game leaked online that we tried and failed to run on a soft-modded OG xbox.  In honor of that, I wore a plain white tshirt, that I wrote the google translated French of that quote on for the actual H2 launch date in 10th grade.

The cringe flows through me hard when picturing myself walking around school that day, explaining my shirt.

Don't feel bad man. I used to carry a homemade magnetic chess board with active game states up and down the halls of my high school when changing classes. We all did nerdy shit we're not proud of. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, I did multiple peer-reviewed papers and oral presentations about Halo when I was in high school that, looking back, I'm 100% convinced took me out of the running of otherwise promising dating prospects.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah, I did multiple peer-reviewed papers and oral presentations about Halo when I was in high school that, looking back, I'm 100% convinced took me out of the running of otherwise promising dating prospects.

If something like that took you out of the running, would those dating prospects have really been worth it all said and done??

..... yeahhhh.... probably....

• Upvote (+1) 1

The best way to come back to the forums!

I'm going to make Halo great again. With sweat, blood, and most importantly, salt.

• Upvote (+1) 3

My senior project was on game physics systems, complete with a Warthog launching showcase on Zanzibar. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

My senior project was on game physics systems, complete with a Warthog launching showcase on Zanzibar. 

Should have been plasma nade launching on Sidewinder. I would've flunked ya. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Question to ya'll... Do you like Halo 5's Sound Design? Especially for Multiplayer?

I mean, you liked they changed the shields recharging, the energy sword lighting up, general weapon shots, etc?

Question to ya'll... Do you like Halo 5's Sound Design? Especially for Multiplayer?

I mean, you liked they changed the shields recharging, the energy sword lighting up, general weapon shots, etc?

I don't think it's objectively bad sound design, but it's not my preferred sound design. They went for weapon sounds that are realistic whereas I'd prefer sounds that are artificially meaty. As for shields, they're ok. The beta was far too squeaky for my taste and it's better than the beta; call it nostalgia goggles if you want but i prefer the older sound effects. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Let's put it this way, I think Halo 5 has the worst sound design that I have ever heard. The mix and balance of all the sounds together is WAY off.

It's hard to describe, but the highs, lows, and mids are just simply all wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They should add music like in singleplayer

They should add music like in singleplayer

The death screen music in the beta was annoying AF

I've talked to quite a few audio engineers in the industry and they all said the same thing. 

The audio in Halo 4 and 5 made them want to quit their jobs.  That's how god awful the sound design is in 343 titles.  The H4 cricket BR, pistol, awful footstep noises, abandonment of every established and recognizable sound cue that defined Halo, everything sounds like garbage.  Hell there's times in H5 where my shields pop out of nowhere and I turn to see who punched me, but in reality I was body shot by a sniper across the map.  This has happened on like 5 occasions.  There's about dick all variance in the repeating sound effects (see how everything you punch in H5 makes the same stupid hollow thwang, as opposed to H3 which has like 50+ material sounds), generic sci fi beeps, mixed in with just the strangest audio direction I've ever heard in a game.  Nothing sounds like ANYTHING.  

And that's not even mentioning the actual mix of the audio itself.  Things that quiet are blown out of proportion, things that should be mid in the mix are loud, things that are loud are even fucking louder.  It's like they had a normal mix, and then took an amplifier and cranked everything up 10 notches.  Seriously go through your xbox DVR clips and just scroll through clips of different games until you get to H5 and see how its 5 steps above everything else.  Something that should basically be all but invisible like footstep sounds, are noticeable from 100+ feet away.  I just finished running Forgehub's $1000 1v1 map contest and even with radar disabled it didn't matter because everyone knew where everyone else was because the footstep sounds.  Hell even if you don't move, TURNING your spartan makes them jiggle in their armor which helped me locate people a few times.

Shit mix.

Shit audio direction.

Shit sound quality.

Shit everything.

This isn't even me ripping on 343 for the normal stuff, this is my actual analysis of the their performance in that department thus far.  God. Awful.

Like, literally industry low.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I cant Really judge the sound mixing and shit like that, but I Do think they did a pretty decent job of minimizing the need to stare at the HUD. I know My shots are registering, when I get an assist, and how much damage I’ve taken, when I’m low on ammo, etc, all from little sounds they’ve implemented. So I like all that.

I’m not too fond of the the actual sounds though. And a lot of the reverb effects are annoying.

• Upvote (+1) 2

snip

I've made a video about Halo 5's sound design, and reading your post made me realize I'm literally missing the other half of the cake. The mix, quality, and other very important elements. Thank you!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've made a video about Halo 5's sound design, and reading your post made me realize I'm literally missing the other half of the cake. The mix, quality, and other very important elements. Thank you!

Be sure to mention that the AR literally only has 2 different sound effects for variances that it flips between.

And no matter what you punch it's the same stupid sound of hitting a soggy punching bag.

And the pistol sounds like smashing a beer bottle on someone's head every time you shoot it.

Also Halo 5 has a clear lack of ambient audio tech, meaning how sound effects are skewed when they're coming from different ranges, from inside of rooms, etc.  Titanfall 2 is pretty good at that, or even in Halo 3 when someone is shooting a BR on the other side of Foundry it has a pretty unique twist on its cue.

If you need examples of good audio engineering, Bungie and DICE are by far the best in the industry. I don't think anyone else comes close.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The death screen music in the beta was annoying AF

hey that's better than hearing a fucking rig falling while a fucking whale dies and all the fucking beep beep beep beep beep and all the fucking cheap fucking star wars rip off fucking sounds fuck

• Upvote (+1) 1