CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Again DOOM does this perfectly. Sector (the Extraction equivalent) has zones that need to be captured and then held for 15s. If an enemy steps into the zone, the timer is halted. Extremely fun, fast-paced and yet strategic gametype.

I adore Sector.

the first couple of minutes of this are worth a watch; it's interesting to see the approach that Blizzard are taking to prevent CTF stalemates:

I'm not saying this would work for H5, but it's good to see a little creative thought being applied beyond "overtime & replay"...

the first couple of minutes of this are worth a watch; it's interesting to see the approach that Blizzard are taking to prevent CTF stalemates:

I'm not saying this would work for H5, but it's good to see a little creative thought being applied beyond "overtime & replay"...

I want to see the creative though we've come to know from 343, like...

"What is trendy right now?"

"If someone was to play anything that wasn't Halo, what would they expect."

"Hey guys look at this Helmet. I call it Seeker."

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don’t think 343 thinks of things too deeply beyond “would this look cool?”. See: power up animations on pick up, vehicle seat hot swapping, and the Gungoose. All terrible ideas but they look flashy.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don’t think 343 thinks of things too deeply beyond “would this look cool?”. See: power up animations on pick up, vehicle seat hot swapping, and the Gungoose. All terrible ideas but they look flashy.

Whoa whoa whoa, I think most people would agree that switching seats is one the of the things we're glad they added. The only thing they fucked up is letting you begin driving well before your spartan is anywhere near the gas pedal. Lets keep the criticism to shit they actually deserve. There's no shortage of that.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There is no shortage of vehicles where the driver can also fire weapons. Ghost, Banshee, Revenant. Vehicles with separate roles should have separate roles. Didn’t someone here recently post a video where they drove a rocket hog by themself and kept hopping between driver and gunner seats? Terrible mechanics.

ya'll talking about seat switching? SEAT SWITCHING? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

You should keep criticizing the discussion instead of saying what you have a problem with. Don’t worry, I can read your mind so I already know what you dislike.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You should keep criticizing the discussion instead of saying what you have a problem with. Don’t worry, I can read your mind so I already know what you dislike.

Thats the point.  I don't have a problem.  The only issue with seat switching was already covered.  You shouldn't be able to shoot or drive until you are actually in the seat.  The gungoose is silly, but that's just it, its silly so who gives a shit.  The issue with the powerup animation isn't actually an issue with the power up animation.  its an issue with the movement mechanics, so its stupid to argue about other than as an example showing the compromises that have to be made in the name of "advanced movement".  The argument should be "if we got rid of advanced movement, instant powerups can come back".  Bitching about the power-up animation in a vacuum is silly because its a symptom of a bigger problem that needs to be looked at holistically, not a problem by itself.

new poster being an immediate ass to the forum?  Sounds like Boyo forgot his password and made a new account...

Its just an internet forum man. Nothing wrong with some off the cuff comments for funsies.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Whoa whoa whoa, I think most people would agree that switching seats is one the of the things we're glad they added. The only thing they fucked up is letting you begin driving well before your spartan is anywhere near the gas pedal. Lets keep the criticism to shit they actually deserve. There's no shortage of that.

They didn’t fuck anything up. When a Spartan is switching seats, he un-Smart-Links with the gun he was holding and Smart-Links with the gas pedal and steering column

- MP Lore Director, probably

• Upvote (+1) 6

How is “advanced movement” related to power up animations?

Previously, with one possible max speed and no boosts you were exposed for a lot longer while going for power-ups and couldn't get cheap escapes when you earned one.

With sprint, thrust, slide and combo's thereof that we have now, this system would have been bullshit.  Going for the power-up would have been far less risky and brainless since your chances of dying en-route are smaller. Just fly in and pray you're the first one to touch it. Its cheap and frustrating.

You can combat this in a couple ways (beyond just removing most of the SA's which is the right answer).  1) only put power-ups in places that are exposed AND hard to get to. Think of always being forced to thrust/stabilize/clamber out in the open. This would be super-limiting to how you can place items on the map or 2) require a button press and add a delay before the powerup is active.  Thereby making the power up itself take longer, artificially increasing your exposure to danger.  As we see all the time, this leads to power-ups getting burned and not actually put into play probably 50% of the time.

EDIT: If  you do a root-cause analysis of the problems that H5 has from weapon balance to power up delays, stretched maps, escapability issues, uneven pacing, etc etc it tends to point back to Sprint and SA's

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can you tell me how the issue with seat switching was already covered?

This was also covered months ago as well in more depth.  One argument was "well players should be forced to get out then get back in" like some sort of skill argument. The consensus argument from all but pretty much one person was "no.. just make seat switching a little slower.  Its a quality of life improvement compared to getting out and back in which is a skilless yet annoying activity"

• Upvote (+1) 1

It seems like one player shouldn’t be able to drive and turret in a vehicle that requires two people. I’m not sure what other arguments you are talking about. One player shouldn’t be able to quickly hop back and forth from driver to gunner imo.

It seems like one player shouldn’t be able to drive and turret in a vehicle that requires two people. I’m not sure what other arguments you are talking about. One player shouldn’t be able to quickly hop back and forth from driver to gunner imo.

Well you hit the issue right there.  If there is any problem with that mechanic, its that its too quick/you can start operating before you are seated.  Overall its still a solid QoL improvement.  I used to drive hogs in H3 solo all the time, hop out then hop in the gunner.  You could always do that it just took a little longer and, more importantly, was annoying.  Seat switching gets rid of the annoyance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Spartans should have to put their seatbelts on first, check their mirrors and hold the wheel at 10 and 2 before being able to drive. Anything else just isn't immersive. Chief seems like a guy who would want to promote safety.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Spartans should have to put their seatbelts on first, check their mirrors and hold the wheel at 10 and 2 before being able to drive. Anything else just isn't immersive. Chief seems like a guy who would want to promote safety.

Dude can survive a fall from space, I don't think he cares about a fender bender.

Dude can survive a fall from space, I don't think he cares about a fender bender.

Pretty sure he looked both ways before flying out to give the covenant back their bomb. Even yielded to another ship coming in. Just because someone is a bad ass doesn't mean they take candy from strangers.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well you hit the issue right there.  If there is any problem with that mechanic, its that its too quick/you can start operating before you are seated.  Overall its still a solid QoL improvement.  I used to drive hogs in H3 solo all the time, hop out then hop in the gunner.  You could always do that it just took a little longer and, more importantly, was annoying.  Seat switching gets rid of the annoyance.

get out of warthog

go to hop on gunner

get back in driver seat

fuck

• Upvote (+1) 1

They didn’t fuck anything up. When a Spartan is switching seats, he un-Smart-Links with the gun he was holding and Smart-Links with the gas pedal and steering column

- MP Lore Director, probably

"And if you hold in Smart Scope while driving, you can drive harder!"

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Previously, with one possible max speed and no boosts you were exposed for a lot longer while going for power-ups and couldn't get cheap escapes when you earned one.

With sprint, thrust, slide and combo's thereof that we have now, this system would have been bullshit.  Going for the power-up would have been far less risky and brainless since your chances of dying en-route are smaller. Just fly in and pray you're the first one to touch it. Its cheap and frustrating.

You can combat this in a couple ways (beyond just removing most of the SA's which is the right answer).  1) only put power-ups in places that are exposed AND hard to get to. Think of always being forced to thrust/stabilize/clamber out in the open. This would be super-limiting to how you can place items on the map or 2) require a button press and add a delay before the powerup is active.  Thereby making the power up itself take longer, artificially increasing your exposure to danger.  As we see all the time, this leads to power-ups getting burned and not actually put into play probably 50% of the time.

EDIT: If  you do a root-cause analysis of the problems that H5 has from weapon balance to power up delays, stretched maps, escapability issues, uneven pacing, etc etc it tends to point back to Sprint and SA's

Honestly the animation wouldn't even be that bad if you just dropped it on the ground instead of burning it.

And regarding seat switching, you guys act like one guy can operate the vehicle at maximum efficiency, and that's just not true at all. If it took longer to begin driving after switching out of the gun, the mechanic would be perfectly fine because you could properly punish the gunner while he's immobile. The time from switching from driver to gunner is already fine and far from OP. The only time this tactic is ever frustrating is when you begin shooting the gunner and he switches and the vehicle is instantly in motion while the spartan is dangling off the side of the fucking thing. Fix that shit and it's fine.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1