CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

that's comparing apples and oranges, dev ran esports (generally) are a loss leader and used as an advertisement

So when the advertising is shit (Halo) when do we cut it? Cause it should be cut

All I know is Sea of Thieves Beta has a quarter million viewers on Twitch right now.

Halo 6 needs to be built for PC. Not some half assed console port.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

All I know is Sea of Thieves Beta has a quarter million viewers on Twitch right now.

Halo 6 needs to be built for PC. Not some half assed console port.

Sea of Thieves will test the limitations of Windows Store.

To those of you big into PC gaming: Is launching a game on windows store really a death sentence?  If Gears 4 was posted on steam per se, instead of Windows Store, do you think the population would be greater? How much?  Why are people so against simply opening up another launcher? Are there any games available through multiple launchers? And if so do they share a population?

To those of you big into PC gaming: Is launching a game on windows store really a death sentence?  If Gears 4 was posted on steam per se, instead of Windows Store, do you think the population would be greater? How much?  Why are people so against simply opening up another launcher? Are there any games available through multiple launchers? And if so do they share a population?

I'm not exactly big on PC gaming but I've got a few games I play on here actively. The Windows Store in its current state is absolutely cancer. 

When I first bought GTA V on Steam, I hit install, it asked me to install a couple things so it would run properly, asked me which directory I wanted to store it in and it installed flawlessly, allowing me to see the download speed and when it would be playable. When I was done playing for a bit and wanted to free up some hard drive space, I hit uninstall on Steam and it was gone and my hard drive space freed up immediately.

When I first downloaded Halo 5: Forge and Gears of War 4 on the Windows Store, I was met with nothing but shitty problems. Both would get to about 2MB downloaded, proceed to freeze the progress bar leaving me in the dark about whether this thing was actually fucking installing or not. This problem persisted for HOURS for me, days for others. In the end, I had to cancel (which took hours and multiple PC restarts) multiple times before I could even get the install going with a working progress bar. By the time it downloaded, I was met with a shitty Halo 5 port which had constant freezing and crashing and awful mouse aiming (but somehow better controller aiming?!?!?!). Gears of War 4 ran great though once it was finally installed.

To go back to your questions: 

1. Yes - in its current state, it is a complete and utter mess compared to alternatives in Steam, Origin and Battle.net (or whatever they call it now). I've had to re-install Destiny 2 on Battle.net multiple times whether it due to hard drive switch or getting a new PC and my god, it worked near flawlessly every time. Any time I've had to deal with the Windows Store, its constant freezing during downloading, a barely functioning progress bar and when it came to uninstalling, holding my fucking hard drive space hostage. I ran into some problem with Gears 4 and Halo 5: Forge where I uninstalled the game, the game was gone according to Windows but my hard drive space was still being taken up by it. I couldn't find a fix for this outside of wiping my drive - I ended up leaving it and haven't ran into the same problem on my new PC. 

2. Absolutely - the Windows Store isn't bad because it's a separate launcher, it's bad because it's a terrible launcher. If someone like me, who I like to think is decently tech savy and can work around a PC, runs into these problems, imagine how Timmy the Spartan would cope with this kind of stuff. At least if Timmy installed it on Steam, he could easily install and uninstall the game if the port ended up being trash. 

3. I kinda covered that in the other points but it is nice to have everything in one place. People don't mind using other launchers if they have to but if that launcher is shit, people are just gonna stop trying to play your game. 

4. I think Halo Wars: Definitive Edition and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered were both available on Windows 10 and Steam and had split populations. I think just about everyone saw the laughing stock MWR became because there were two people online in the Windows Store version.

Other problems relating to Windows Store games is how it functions as an app rather than an executable, or something like that. I still don't think OBS or Discord is capable of picking up and interacting with Windows Store games, making streaming a little harder and stops stuff like the Discord overlay from working.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Plenty of games are playable through multiple launchers, R6S comes to mind off the bat for me.  I know it allows you to launch through Steam and essentially just launches UPlay before the game opens up.  As far as I know those systems don't bug anyone because you are still playing with the whole PC population.  There was a CoD (Infinite Warfare maybe?) recently that launched on MS Store as well as Steam and it didn't allow any crossplay between Steam or Xbox.  It's population was so low that they were giving refunds out for the people that requested it.  I think it's a non issue to sell on other platforms as long as they play together and selling your product on Steam well undoubtedly increase your sales number just by virtue of being the largest PC launcher.

• Upvote (+1) 4

To those of you big into PC gaming: Is launching a game on windows store really a death sentence? If Gears 4 was posted on steam per se, instead of Windows Store, do you think the population would be greater? How much? Why are people so against simply opening up another launcher? Are there any games available through multiple launchers? And if so do they share a population?

A lot of people have trouble downloading games from the store.like it randomly stops downloading and restarts from scratch.

Most games have performance issues.

Most games aren’t cross-compatible with versions purchased in other stores. So the MP population is doomed.

UWP games don’t support mods.

The platform was never built to deliver large games. It’s not flexible or reliable enough.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1.  The Windows Store is awful.  It has none of the basic functionality that any of the other platforms have, it's not organized, and mostly contains random mobile games.  No one uses it and if you released any serious games on it they would just be buried under all that shit anyways.

2.  Steam is the best and largest platform.  That's why everyone uses it, that's why there's no point in releasing games on anything else.

3.  Most game platforms (launchers) are integrated into steam.  Simple explanation is that when you buy the game on steam you link your steam account to whatever your account on the other platform is and get full access to the functionality of both platforms, being able to join people's games through steam or vice-versa, download updates for the game through steam, buy content for the game through steam or the game's own platform, and so on. Platforms that aren't integrated into steam almost always have completely isolated and dead populations, the only real exceptions are Blizzard and EA (Origin) games (oh and I guess Fortnite too).  Which you can still launch as non-steam games, you just won't be able to use Steam for anything except in-game overlay; everything else about the games like friends and joining games will be handled by their own platform.

Launching Halo on the window's store would be suicidal.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Launching Halo on the window's store would be suicidal.

I could see that working in their benefit. Forcing you to buy an Xbox if you want to play Halo with more than 5 other people.

Just for everyone's information.

XB1 and PC players can play together on Sea of Thieves.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When I first downloaded Halo 5: Forge and Gears of War 4 on the Windows Store, I was met with nothing but shitty problems. Both would get to about 2MB downloaded, proceed to freeze the progress bar leaving me in the dark about whether this thing was actually fucking installing or not. This problem persisted for HOURS for me, days for others. In the end, I had to cancel (which took hours and multiple PC restarts) multiple times before I could even get the install going with a working progress bar. By the time it downloaded, I was met with a shitty Halo 5 port which had constant freezing and crashing and awful mouse aiming (but somehow better controller aiming?!?!?!). Gears of War 4 ran great though once it was finally installed.

To go back to your questions: 

1. Yes - in its current state, it is a complete and utter mess compared to alternatives in Steam, Origin and Battle.net (or whatever they call it now). I've had to re-install Destiny 2 on Battle.net multiple times whether it due to hard drive switch or getting a new PC and my god, it worked near flawlessly every time. Any time I've had to deal with the Windows Store, its constant freezing during downloading, a barely functioning progress bar and when it came to uninstalling, holding my fucking hard drive space hostage. I ran into some problem with Gears 4 and Halo 5: Forge where I uninstalled the game, the game was gone according to Windows but my hard drive space was still being taken up by it. I couldn't find a fix for this outside of wiping my drive - I ended up leaving it and haven't ran into the same problem on my new PC. 

2. Absolutely - the Windows Store isn't bad because it's a separate launcher, it's bad because it's a terrible launcher. If someone like me, who I like to think is decently tech savy and can work around a PC, runs into these problems, imagine how Timmy the Spartan would cope with this kind of stuff. At least if Timmy installed it on Steam, he could easily install and uninstall the game if the port ended up being trash. 

So much this. What makes it worse is that some apps, like H5 and Gears 4 are encrypted up the ass. This would be fine if the Store uninstalled them correctly, but as you mentioned it sometimes leaves the folders there. With the encryption, your storage is taken hostage. No matter what security privileges you elevate, those folders won't let you delete them. 

I was faced with this issue when my Forza Horizon 3 installation suddenly stopped working. It used to be perfectly fine but one days quit launching at all even though Windows reported the app as installed. I checked the install location and it was there, taking up 60GB of space. I opened up Windows Store and on the Forza page, it let me click to install. Lo and behold, this dumpster fire of a program starts downloading the whole game again, even though it exists on the drive already.

Obviously I needed to get rid of the old installation but its encryption and security prevented me from doing so. I still don't remember what I did but I managed to delete it somehow.

The update process is just as garbage. For some reason, some apps (Gears 4 is an example) have a strange update process. At the time Gears 4 was 90GB, an update was released which was several GB's in size. For whatever reason, Windows makes a copy of the 90GB installation, downloads the update for it, and then deletes the original install. As a result, you would need at least 90GB of free space on your installation disk to be able to update.

As far as I know, this has something to do with encryption/validation. Steam is so much better in this regard; you can delete half of a program and it would only download what is missing.

So we’ve finally got to the point where we’re not discussing Halo 5 anymore?

I think more people would play Gears if it used the Steam Eco system to be honest.  Windows store has came a long way but it's still complete dog shit in comparison.  I don't think Windows Store games and Steam games populations mix, which is weird. Could be on a per game basis. 

I think more people would play Gears if it used the Steam Eco system to be honest. Windows store has came a long way but it's still complete dog shit in comparison. I don't think Windows Store games and Steam games populations mix, which is weird. Could be on a per game basis.

It’s a per game basis. The win10 api can work with literally any other network, but most releases on the Win10 store are isolated to Xbox live...

It’s a per game basis. The win10 api can work with literally any other network, but most releases on the Win10 store are isolated to Xbox live...

Ooooooh ok I didn't make that connection until right now. I guess that actually makes a LITTLE sense considering Gears 4 has crossplay to Xbox players from PC so it wouldn't be possible to link to the both the Stream community and Xbox community. That in mind, it would make even more sense to have all the pc players in 1 congregation lol

Edit: well actually doesn't rocket league share every platform?

Gosh dang Subnautica is sooo good. Anyone else playing it?

I've actually been wanting to check it out. Nice to see a positive review on here of all places.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I've actually been wanting to check it out. Nice to see a positive review on here of all places.

So worth it.  Do it. 

So worth it.  Do it. 

I definitely will now. You happen to have tried out the VR experience?

I definitely will now. You happen to have tried out the VR experience?

I want to so bad.  This game would be insane with VR.  Also want to play War Thunder with VR.  Waiting for the Vive Pro. 

Ooooooh ok I didn't make that connection until right now. I guess that actually makes a LITTLE sense considering Gears 4 has crossplay to Xbox players from PC so it wouldn't be possible to link to the both the Stream community and Xbox community. That in mind, it would make even more sense to have all the pc players in 1 congregation lol

Edit: well actually doesn't rocket league share every platform?

yeah rocket league works between all platforms, but gates ps4 from xbl

Windows Store aside launching Gears 4 on PC is just so freaking smooth. You don't have to open up any type of launcher, I just hit my windows key, type "Gea" and then Enter, and within a millisecond Gears 4 is open. Alt-Tab is easily the smoothest with Gears 4 than any Steam game as well, it's because the way it handles "fullscreen" apps.

Edit: Of course you could just have an icon on the desktop or even in the task bar, but I'm all about that clean desktop.

Edit 2: Decided to test it and recorded it because why not. Stupid splash screens take up a chunk of time but from clicking go to playing took 1:13. Not too great but you can see how smooth the game launches. Steam games take way longer.

https://youtu.be/jCLDpof-RcM