CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You don't moan like that after a spartan charge? 

Huh.

I just silently quit the build and go play a better game lol.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just silently quit the build and go play a better game lol.

I turn on my Xbox, see Halo 5 on my dashboard, and turn my Xbox off and just play R6 Siege instead.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please tell me how they'll scrounge up the money for HCS and the pro league without microtransactions. That's right you can't because this isn't a system selling series that pulls in huge gobs of cash anymore. So if you're okay with losing mlg, all that money and several other things please go right ahead.

Not sure if sarcasm, but generally making a game that is actually good, competitive and entertaining is a good way to ensure people pay money to watch it, thus pros get paid and mlg broadcasts it, rather than having whale casuals who don't even care about mlg bankroll the pro scene from warzone purchases as if that's a solution that makes any sense at all.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Please tell me how they'll scrounge up the money for HCS and the pro league without microtransactions. That's right you can't because this isn't a system selling series that pulls in huge gobs of cash anymore. So if you're okay with losing mlg, all that money and several other things please go right ahead.

The same way Bungie did?

Make a good game and people will want to watch it and sponsor it is viewership is high enough.

Not sure if sarcasm, but generally making a game that is actually good, competitive and entertaining is a good way to ensure people pay money to watch it

Super smash bros melee hits all those boxes and yet TOs are lucky if their event breaks even

their scene is literally dying because it's so hard to break even, let alone make a profit

thus pros get paid and mlg broadcasts it, rather than having whale casuals who don't even care about mlg bankroll the pro scene from warzone purchases as if that's a solution that makes any sense at all.

I honestly don't see the issue, the reality of esports is it's incredibly hard to monetize and people aren't going to buy esports Pay Per Views

halo is a dev ran esport and it's main function is to advertise the game (and eventually sell microtransactions)

why is it a bad thing that 343 is using their revenue to advertise their game? isn't that kinda how business works?

The same way Bungie did?

Make a good game and people will want to watch it and sponsor it is viewership is high enough.

bungie hated esports and MLG made exactly 0 dollars running halo esports, it's well documented 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not sure if sarcasm, but generally making a game that is actually good, competitive and entertaining is a good way to ensure people pay money to watch it, thus pros get paid and mlg broadcasts it, rather than having whale casuals who don't even care about mlg bankroll the pro scene from warzone purchases as if that's a solution that makes any sense at all.

It's 343 and Halo is no longer a system seller. Good luck with that.

You make an actual good Halo game whose competitive merits isn't a fucking joke. 

edit: damn Vinny beat me to it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Super smash bros melee hits all those boxes and yet TOs are lucky if their event breaks even

their scene is literally dying because it's so hard to break even, let alone make a profit

I doubt beach LAN is breaking even.  Still more fun to watch then HCS

I doubt beach LAN is breaking even. Still more fun to watch then HCS

Devilman should be getting the VA Beach LAN vids on YT soon, and I have plans for the un-casted series’ as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Its up to the fans to decide if they like it"

*Population plummets to the lowest a Halo game has ever been within weeks of launch*

"Holy shit they must want more of it!"

Fucking 343 man.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Remember all of those "savior of Halo" pictures of Frank that people were putting in their signature?

I bet their faces are red.

Halo 6's Trailer could have a Spartan sprinting around a Social Area as players in the background perform emotes and open up REQ packs in a way similar to how Cod WW2  does it (Others can see what you get) and people would still say that you need to adapt to new Halo or gtfo, and that its not copying CoD.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How do the Microsoft Store qualifiers work?

Do you have to have an active Live subscription when you go in?

How do they track results? Do you have to know your Gamebattles username or something?

I honestly don't see the issue, the reality of esports is it's incredibly hard to monetize and people aren't going to buy esports Pay Per Views

halo is a dev ran esport and it's main function is to advertise the game (and eventually sell microtransactions)

why is it a bad thing that 343 is using their revenue to advertise their game? isn't that kinda how business works?

bungie hated esports and MLG made exactly 0 dollars running halo esports, it's well documented 

If you really think the Melee scene is dying, then you really aren't paying enough attention to it Lol

If you really think the Melee scene is dying, then you really aren't paying enough attention to it Lol

From an esports and TO perspective it's not sustainable, people will always have little locals but the era of large open bracket melee events is coming to an end

im curious how thats true when the largest bracket open events for melee have all been within the last 2 years

• Upvote (+1) 2

im curious how thats true when the largest bracket open events for melee have all been within the last 2 years

my point was than even though these events have large attendance it's still not profitable for the people who organize it, in fact it's a huge risk on their part financially 

• Upvote (+1) 1

my point was than even though these events have large attendance it's still not profitable for the people who organize it, in fact it's a huge risk on their part financially 

when you have a consistently growing amount of players who all buy into the tournaments for entry fees how much of a risk is there involved actually and how much of it is TO negligence, just seems at this point if they're losing money its them putting more weight into prize money and not enough into being able to break even / profit

when you have a consistently growing amount of players who all buy into the tournaments for entry fees how much of a risk is there involved actually and how much of it is TO negligence, just seems at this point if they're losing money its them putting more weight into prize money and not enough into being able to break even / profit

esports is just a money sink right now (which was my main point, i only used melee as an example) and it's all about setting yourself up for the future

here's just one example, check out this AMA from the guy who organized Shine 2016, the event cost 100k to run, 1700 people signed up and he says they lost $30k

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4wsjaw/im_the_head_organizer_of_shine_2016_shi_deng_ama/

i love melee but Nintendo doesn't really care about supporting it, it's only going to "survive" as long as these TOs are willing to stay invested, which is a growing concern

plus it also has to compete (players+viewers+sponsors) with new games, like the new dbz

From an esports and TO perspective it's not sustainable, people will always have little locals but the era of large open bracket melee events is coming to an end

Moses, I understand where you're coming from: http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/22145816/attendance-revenue-slide-genesis-shine-other-smash-tournaments

However as a competitive Melee player, what's happening right now is the local, smaller scenes are getting much larger and events are happening almost everyday in many states/regions.  When these post documentary, lower level players start to see better results and move up to a mid skill level; then we'll see majors with 2000 or more signups just for Melee singles again.  The scene is far from dying, it's just harder to see the growth as an outsider, when compared to 2015.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is this the part where I point out Halo is more of a money sink than Melee?

And this is the part where I point out that Quake Live is more of a money sink than both of those

i love melee but Nintendo doesn't really care about supporting it, it's only going to "survive" as long as these TOs are willing to stay invested

that's comparing apples and oranges, dev ran esports (generally) are a loss leader and used as an advertisement