CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Can you zoom in with the ODDBALL?

Yes, it zooms it by almost nothing, but it's there.

Menke's Twitter interactions w/ Jimbo/Mikwen/Vetoed in the last 24 hours are making me SMH.  He's obviously a bright guy, obviously a numbers guy, and increasingly obvious he doesn't grasp how his systems work in real world environments.  He should know, whether he plays or not.

The Halo systems he has touched have been exploited to hell, all the way back to Strongside dodging his way to a custom truck, and there have never been the necessary fixes to address any of it.

Soft season "resets" have always been a mistake.  Just winging it as to when a season starts/ends looks lazy.  The company line that they don't see changes in win rates searching solo vs To4 may be true globally, but no way it holds true at the high end, and it boggles my mind they don't understand that.  MM solo is pure purgatory right now, and because of it I have to search solo more often (or more frequently, not at all).

Yes, it's difficult to implement systems in a 2+ year old game with a low pop, but sometimes the system is part of the cause.  If you can't fix a problem in 1 month, let alone 6, in today's world- it needs to go back to the drawing board.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Menke's Twitter interactions w/ Jimbo/Mikwen/Vetoed in the last 24 hours are making me SMH.  He's obviously a bright guy, obviously a numbers guy, and increasingly obvious he doesn't grasp how his systems work in real world environments.  He should know, whether he plays or not.

The Halo systems he has touched have been exploited to hell, all the way back to Strongside dodging his way to a custom truck, and there have never been the necessary fixes to address any of it.

Soft season "resets" have always been a mistake.  Just winging it as to when a season starts/ends looks lazy.  The company line that they don't see changes in win rates searching solo vs To4 may be true globally, but no way it holds true at the high end, and it boggles my mind they don't understand that.  MM solo is pure purgatory right now, and because of it I have to search solo more often (or more frequently, not at all).

Yes, it's difficult to implement systems in a 2+ year old game with a low pop, but sometimes the system is part of the cause.  If you can't fix a problem in 1 month, let alone 6, in today's world- it needs to go back to the drawing board.

The guy literally said the best player in the world shouldn't be able to get the highest rank if he's not in a to4. He's a fuckin dummy.

• Downvote (-1) 4

H1 2v2 tournament starts tomorrow. Show me some love?

www.twitch.tv/vabeachlan

+1 follow, will be watching omw back to school tomorrow.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So the guy that has designed the best ranking systems for the most popular games on the planet has no idea how they actually effect the game?? mkay...

And what are you supposed to do, design an entire ranking system around the top .5% of players and fuck over the rest?  They have a more intelligent system they have been working on that is looking very good but not ready for prime time yet.  read his updates on waypoint, not just some twitter replies with no context and no background on his current work.  This "going back to the drawing board" you are talking about is what he has been doing since he got here but this is some seriously advanced math. 

The guy literally said the best player in the world shouldn't be able to get the highest rank if he's not in a to4. He's a fuckin dummy.

Why should he?  The supposition there is that the best player in the world playing solo wouldn't be able to get the highest rank because he/she is going to be playing against other people in parties. Its a team game after all. 

So the guy that has designed the best ranking systems for the most popular games on the planet has no idea how they actually effect the game?? mkay...

I am very aware of his resume and I have read his Waypoint updates.  I don't say what I did lightly because he obviously is a very bright dude and he does make an active effort to address the community.  And yeah, I'm doubling down despite knowing all of that.  He's very consistently asking questions he should have known the answer to years ago.  It screams that he is in "the lab" and doesn't have a grasp on how his systems play.  His Halo ranking systems have been exploited using the same methods for years across multiple games- I suspect because, in part, we're not dealing with Starcraft or COD population numbers- but there never are any substantial changes to fix the errors.  A great example, as I mentioned, is his old solo searching vs To4 win rate comment.  No, he shouldn't cater to only the top 5% and I didn't suggest as much.  Yes, he should have a better grasp on the nuances that bronze play =/= platinum play =/= onyx play.  

The only concrete changes made recently are to tighten tier bracketing, which I believe is counterproductive when you can no longer fill all of the necessary Champion slots and when presumably the players you retain are on the more skilled areas of the distribution.  It's negative feedback to the player who doesn't understand he's the "same skill" he/she was prior but instead slipping in rank because the population shrunk, and more importantly it is not useful feedback.

There are many reasons why a game's population drops- and from my narrow experience with the people I play(ed) with, his systems contribute.  In a vacuum, I do not doubt that his new system can do the +/- 0.4 kill/min predictions he claims.  And I'm sure he's awesome designing the guts of that stuff.  But when you have every other tweet or forum thread he addresses be about smurfs, or why a diamond 4 is actually a H3 50 and people don't need to lose their mind if they match a platinum or an onyx player because they are only 5% away on the bell curve- then you need to address your implementation because you aren't providing useful feedback.

I don't know if his roles have expanded, but he felt comfortable enough to reply to Jimbo about server selection in a game with 7 EU players and the server being East US (side note: get an in-game ping counter).  If it's not obvious that is a completely sub-optimal solution, then yes, I feel comfortable critiquing him.

The Champion Team is better than a Team of Champions.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The Champion Team is better than the Team of Golds they consistently play against.

The Champion Team with a token Bronze player is better than the Team of Golds they consistently play against.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haven't been on here in about a year now. tldr does 343 still seem to have their heads crammed way up their asses? I'm willing to return to the franchise and buy an xbox if we get a legit Halo, but last I heard Halo 6 was slated to be an incremental upgrade over 5.

Haven't been on here in about a year now. tldr does 343 still seem to have their heads crammed way up their asses? I'm willing to return to the franchise and buy an xbox if we get a legit Halo, but last I heard Halo 6 was slated to be an incremental upgrade over 5.

Don't hold your breath

Don't hold your breath

Already did enough of that throughout Halo 4 and 5. Overwatch has brought me over to the dark side now, and is all I need to satisfy my FPS cravings.

The Champion Team is better than a Team of Champions.

Well duh. Doesn't mean a "Team of Champions" shouldn't be allowed to exist.

Overwatch has brought me over to the dark side now, and is all I need to satisfy my FPS cravings.

You're in luck, because there's q decent chance that H6 will have Hero shooter elements.

You're in luck, because there's q decent chance that H6 will have Hero shooter elements.

Hero Loot Shooting Battle Royale game with Social Spaces.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hero Loot Shooting Battle Royale game with Social Spaces.

Fall 2019 can't come soon enough. I hope they release it 1 week before CoD again.

Fall 2019 can't come soon enough. I hope they release it 1 week before CoD again.

Is that when they finally "fix" MCC?