CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This definitely is far fetched but what if "spartan abilities" were really just intended button combos. that would be amazingly beautiful and i would cry in joy.

Quick camo ability......

Backpack reload ability.....

:D  :D  :D :D  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  

• Upvote (+1) 3

Personally I can live with motion tracker as long as they decrease the default range to 25 meters like H2-Reach. Would be interesting to see a motion sensor like COD (red dot pops up only when you shoot) in H5.

25m with 125% movement speed would be cool. That way you would have to be alert to react to radar warnings. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

In the Halo 5: Guardians Beta Teaser, all new "Spartan Abilities" were revealed. Since they've been confirmed to not be the infamous Armor Abilities for Halo 4 and Reach, what are they? Any predictions? 

:weback:  :weback:  :weback: Abilities-300x136.jpg:weback:  :weback:  :weback:

You know, flag juggling, double shooting, bxr, superjumps, things of that nature.

No.

Frankie described them as new base player traits - things like Dual Wielding, Vehicle Boarding, etc. 

We don't know what new base player traits we're getting, but we'll know a lot more before December when the beta is set to kick off.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Seeing as how when you had to hold an extra button to do things like pick up a weapon to dual wield or board a vehicle, I'm hoping if they keep assassinations, they become one of the "Spartan Abilities" and requires you to press a different button other than melee. Their "tap melee" system doesn't work consistently and it always makes me do the stupid assassination animation. 

There have been too many times I am behind two guys, go to back smack one so I can get a 1v1 and I end up having to wait for the stupid animation to end before I can fight the other guy, which usually gets me killed instead of getting me the double.

This video does a pretty good job of explaining what we know so far and what has been speculated;

I'd note things like the tackle and slide for cover etc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Spartan abilities probably refer to using what used to be the armor ability button to now perform parkour type maneuvers. things like sliding in and out of cover, bouncing off of walls, and probably that ground punch thing when you fall from a certain height. I imagine these will be performed in the third person and have some sort of meter system to control use.

Shove, slide, ground-slam and long jump.

Edit: I'm a ******, that jumping in the clip is clearly from a man-cannon, so forget my last prediction.

I don't think any of these "abilities" will be on meters though....wouldn't that just make them Armour Abilities?

The abilities he mentioned take a button and change it's use when certain conditions are met.

If you press the "switch weapons" button while over a dualie you can pick it up.

If you press the "use vehicle" button while near any enemy driving you can board him.

so maybe...

If you press the "crouch" button while sprinting you go into a slide.

If you press the "crouch" button while falling from a damagable-height, you do a ground pound instead.

If you press the "crouch" button while jumping you do a double jump.

Look to the crouch button - I think it ties them all together. Makes it a more "useful" button in games without motion tracker.

(I completely disagree with this but I can see the dev thinking this.)

I'd hope these new abilities can be disabled/enabled in custom lobbies. The more options the better.

Just praying it isn't anything like taking cover and ground pounds n shit we saw in that short cgi trailer. I'm confident it wont be though :D

There is also some kind of thruster pack that is used in the slide and ground pound. Can only notice it if you pause the video at the right time though.

I am hoping for double-jump and select wall-jumping. I know there was a teleportation AA that didn't make it into H4 that could be utilized as a powerful new map pick-up similar to a power-up. Plus then I could play Unreal Halo CTF  :)

I don't know, but the fact that 343 thought armor abilities left a void that needed filling doesn't exactly spike my confidence.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Shove, slide, ground-slam and long jump.

Edit: I'm a ******, that jumping in the clip is clearly from a man-cannon, so forget my last prediction.

I don't think any of these "abilities" will be on meters though....wouldn't that just make them Armour Abilities?

Imagine that, they wouldn't just rename AAs to SAs and say "don't worry guys, no AAs in H5"

I honestly believe it's gonna be sprint, evade, thruster, jetpack, plus other stuff all rolled into one and everyone will have it all the time.

I'd hope these new abilities can be disabled/enabled in custom lobbies. The more options the better.

I doubt it, Quinn Delhoyo said that he's done with multiple settings and these are gonna be base player traits so I'm pretty sure we're looking at less custom options if anything.

I don't know, but the fact that 343 thought armor abilities left a void that needed filling doesn't exactly spike my confidence.

I don't think you realize how many people actually like AAs.

I don't think you realize how many people actually like AAs.

You mean the 40kish who still play reach/4? Halo 2 had a higher XBL population a few weeks before H3 came out than those two combined. I think it's safe to assume that AA free Halo is more popular than Halo with AAs.

Honestly, I think we are overinterpreting a CGI trailer. I think they wanted to show that Multiplayer is Arena and competitive. They explained SAs by comparing them to Dualwielding and Boarding so I hope that they are closer to that and father away from jetpack/sprint. And I mean Shadowrun has certainly proved that you can do abilities without having an awful game. Plus worst case we'll just keep playing h1/h2 in MCC. I'd atleast wait until we see some actual inengine footage showing crap like the ground pound before we freak out. And again they are giving us H1/H2 on dedicated servers and as much as I want H5 to do with Halo what CSGO did with CS I feel a lot less stressed out about Halo 5 being good than I was before reach/h4 as I can just go back and play some good Halo if I don't like 5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are you under the impression that AAs are being replaced by Spartan Abilities?

They're not - Spartan Abilities are brand new base traits to the game, for every player. The only reason they're mentioned with AAs a lot is because of the common misconception that AAs were Spartan Abilities.

Are you under the impression that AAs are being replaced by Spartan Abilities?

They're not - Spartan Abilities are brand new base traits to the game, for every player. The only reason they're mentioned with AAs a lot is because of the common misconception that AAs were Spartan Abilities.

The functionality may not be identical, but they are stepping into the void left by armor abilities. If they weren't, 343 would not have simultaneously announced the removal of one and the addition of the other. Whatever "spartan abilities" turn out to be, they won't be the reason Halo 5 is a good game (if it's a good game). It'll just be more fourth-wheel bullshit.

The functionality may not be identical, but they are stepping into the void left by armor abilities. If they weren't, 343 would not have simultaneously announced the removal of one and the addition of the other. Whatever "spartan abilities" turn out to be, they won't be the reason Halo 5 is a good game (if it's a good game). It'll just be more fourth-wheel bullshit.

@Bold

They didn't. The trailer said new Spartan abilities and everyone watching thought it meant AA's. Quinn then went on Twitter straight away to reassure everyone that they are NOT AA's and that AA's are gone for H5. 

Now I'm not saying that these new Spartan abilities are gonna be super balanced and competitive but I highly doubt they're going to be as game breaking as Prom vision, Jetpack etc.