CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yeah we don't see CoD, Battlefield, Titanfall or Overwatch adding new mechanics and massively fucking with the balance of the game in order to work as a PC game. Remove aim-assist and if things get out of hand (as mentioned the Sniper might be a tad too effective on PC) make slight tweaks.

CoD, Battlefield, and Titanfall are all games where your have fully automatic weapons that all kill in 2-4 shots to the body with negligible headshot bonuses. It's not fair to compare those with Halo.

As for Overwatch, did Blizzard not say they were balancing it separately from consoles?

They are making a battle royal mode lolololol

When's our CE LAN

Ya girl got to SR-151. Only took me a year from my last rank up, in spite of a ton of play, and I now have suicidal tendencies. All for a fucking emblem. Honestly worth it. I like the emblem.

JtVTfFb.png

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ya girl got to SR-151. Only took me a year from my last rank up, in spite of a ton of play, and I now have suicidal tendencies. All for a fucking emblem. Honestly worth it. I like the emblem.

JtVTfFb.png

God bless you, you tenacious bitch.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

CoD, Battlefield, and Titanfall are all games where your have fully automatic weapons that all kill in 2-4 shots to the body with negligible headshot bonuses. It's not fair to compare those with Halo.

As for Overwatch, did Blizzard not say they were balancing it separately from consoles?

True, it's not a 1 to 1 comparison. But we have a precedent of Halo games working just fine on PC, despite the shitty ports. The gameplay in CE, H2V and even Halo:Online is not suddenly falling apart just because people can aim more precisely. The only game that is completely broken on PC is H5 because 343 is too incompetent to make a game with solid aiming, but I digress. I fail to see how Halo would not work on PC, especially if the game is actually a good Halo game: Things like fast base movement speed, good maps, good netcode, effective strafe and a well-balanced weapon sandbox are much more important factors contributing to a working Halo PC game than controller vs mouse.

Of course I don't see the game suddenly dying on Xbox and the majority of players moving over to PC, including the HCS. Halo will always be primarily a console game, but as I said in the examples in the last post, this does not have to be a bad thing. CoD/BF/TF/OW play quite a bit differently on PC vs console (kids nowadays would call this "different meta"), but it's neither better nor worse, it's just different.

• Upvote (+1) 9

JtVTfFb.png

Now you just have to make it out of gold you trashcan.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

JtVTfFb.png

You have the patience of a fucking god lol. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

JtVTfFb.png

I wanna meet the people who not only decided to make the progression system a hilarious joke of a grind, but then decided that emblems would be satisfying rewards too.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

JtVTfFb.png

Nice, you got through the shit river without a paddle. But personally, I think this would have been a better reward:

ghostbusters-nes-ending.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 9

Nice, you got through the shit river without a paddle. But personally, I think this would have been a better reward:

ghostbusters-nes-ending.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wanna meet the people who not only decided to make the progression system a hilarious joke of a grind, but then decided that emblems would be satisfying rewards too.

why are we still using number ranks and why are we ending at jank numbers like 152 haha

Reach was great, long XP grind, cool titles/emblems, Haunted helmet, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The meta on PC will certainly be different than console, but that's totally fine.

That's my whole point... I don't have a problem with it it personally but anyone expecting a similar experience on PC is in for rude suprise. A huge part of Halo is the difference in difficulty between the sniper rifle and the utility weapon. Imagine if the sniper rifle had been just as easy to use as the pistol in CE. Yeah, that would've drastically changed the game as we know it.

Makes me wonder if they made the progression system such a long ass grind because they were planning on a 2019 release date for H6.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What, you mean you wanted armor for your grinding efforts? HAHAAAAAA. Fuck you. But I'm prepped for the two year grind to get to SR-152, lel. The final joke will be me. Once I've dedicated 3-4 years of my life to this game.

You have the patience of a fucking god lol.

Patience, my brain's auto pilot, and a lot of boosts. My final grind yesterday put me through nearly forty of them. 

Makes me wonder if they made the progression system such a long ass grind because they were planning on a 2019 release date for H6.

Doubt it. Was probably just in response to Halo 4's quick progression system. But they of course, went with the extreme of having it be longer than Reach's. Would rather have a quick progression system than a slow ass, monotonous grind. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's my whole point... I don't have a problem with it it personally but anyone expecting a similar experience on PC is in for rude suprise. A huge part of Halo is the difference in difficulty between the sniper rifle and the utility weapon. Imagine if the sniper rifle had been just as easy to use as the pistol in CE. Yeah, that would've drastically changed the game as we know it.

But the sniper WOULDN’T neccisarily be just as easy to use as the pistol. The sandbox would need some tweaks, but it wouldnt instantly become unrecognizable.

Move to projectile across all platforms. Make sure the hitboxes on PC are as small as possible. Make the utility Weapon’s min kill time =< the time in takes to fire two sniper shots (3sk/0.6s would be sweet). Allow for a powerful strafe.

That’s a great place to start. And would work on both platforms. The powerweapon is a 1HK with perfect execution, But if a spawner makes the sniper miss 1 shot, they dramatically increase their chances of winning the 1v1. It’s not like players on PC never miss, and it’s easier to go for bodyshots in either case.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Doubt it. Was probably just in response to Halo 4's quick progression system. But they of course, went with the extreme of having it be longer than Reach's.

Yeah, I guess that's probably the reason. Whelp, I'm glad I got a positive thinking post towards 343 out of the way early on in the year. I'm guessing I won't have any when they try and fix MCC.

Guys did you know that Halo 5 breaks the Top 20 most played list on Xbox Live sometimes and thats awesome, especially for Microsofts Flagship title that used to hold the number one spot with a similar amount of competition?!

#WEBACK

• Upvote (+1) 8

Yeah we don't see CoD, Battlefield, Titanfall or Overwatch adding new mechanics and massively fucking with the balance of the game in order to work as a PC game. Remove aim-assist and if things get out of hand (as mentioned the Sniper might be a tad too effective on PC) make slight tweaks.

CoD and Titanfall are twitch shooters where players die in a burst to the toe. Battlefield has ludicrous amounts of aim assist and bullet magnetism on console. Overwatch is balanced around hero gimmicks, not FPS mechanics. None of those are particularly good examples.

​That said, assuming console aim assist mechanics and lag compensation are removed, Halo 5 minus mobility gimmicks and with a stripped down sandbox would work as a PC FPS. Obviously, the meta would be different, (being able to actually turn around quickly and precisely will do that), but it wouldn't break the game. I don't know why  the sniper would be an issue specifically on PC either. It's only been vaguely difficult in, what, 2 games in the entire series at best? In a PC game that isn't aiming for you, it would  be better than the sniper in 2/3s of the major Halo multiplayer entries to date by default. People seem to think no one ever misses with a mouse.

Of course, it could easily be improved beyond bare the minimum "PC FPS games are better" improvement as well. Removing zoom/ADS from pretty much everything that isn't a sniper would be a nice start. Melee nerf. Reduced blast radius and sharper damage fall-off for explosives in general. Faster perfect kill times. A better movement model (rip off CS). Maybe switch to entirely projectile weapons, provided they can manage to make that consistent on and offline.

• Upvote (+1) 4