CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I don't want a social space. Its a glorified menu that forces me to be social.

Lets focus on Halo 6 being a good Halo game before we start looking for shit like Social Spaces.

Destiny 2 social space is a glorified menu for loot and microtransactions.

WW2 social space is a glorified space for loot boxes and microtransactions.

Halo 6 social space will be a glorified menu for req packs and microtransactions.

Yeah, that's the crux of it all really.

"Social Spaces" when used in the appropriate game setting, used in conjunction with actual social interaction and crafted with an attention to detail can do something for a sense of community a menu will never achieve.

Social Spaces that exist simply to exist or for more nefarious reasons like CoD WWII rarely achieve this.

And a social space in a 343 game would exist just to exist, it would almost definitely be nothing more than a clone of the tower from Destiny except the nature of Halo game does not warrant a social space in the way a "living world" ala Destiny would. Nothing that actually makes its a social space beyond seeing other players and some shitty emotes.

And at a base level, What does a social space bring to Halo that the old player lobbies didn't already? Nothing worthwhile

• Upvote (+1) 4

And at a base level, What does a social space bring to Halo that the old player lobbies didn't already?

Immersion.

If Destiny or CoD have it, 343 will borrow it. They've always been at the forefront of creativity in this industry where their only limitations are the innovations by other companies. It would only make sense that they shoehorn social spaces into the next halo to prevent any need to take the risk of being original and unique, like the first Halo. The original Bungie crew that started Halo was rich with ideas and passion that they invested into their game. 343 is just a bland telemarketer trying to sell you a formulaic xyz product.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can't wait for H6 to drop so I can grind Warzone for 40 hours to unlock the Locke champion. Then you'll catch me sprinting around in my social space for hours on end.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Can't wait for H6 to drop so I can grind Warzone for 40 hours to unlock the Locke champion. Then you'll catch me sprinting around in my social space for hours on end.

Sigh

If they want to show off armor, just do what Reach did and have an actual pregame lobby where you can click their name and see it instead of just having emblems. Maybe add a twirly option so you can see all their Spartan Barbie accessories. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

If they want to show off armor, just do what Reach did and have an actual pregame lobby where you can click their name and see it instead of just having emblems. Maybe add a twirly option so you can see all their Spartan Barbie accessories. 

Nah dude I think Halo5's emblems pretty much nail what a pre-game lobby should look like.

I play MMOs so I know how social spaces work there. The thing is, social spaces are an integral part of MMOs. MMOs don't have menus as their UIs basically serve as the game's "menu" per se. You have things like group finder to queue up for PvE instances and another interface to queue for PvP instances. The way MMOs usually function in how you control an avatar and play 3rd-person in a persistent world is why they're fully entitled MMORPG.

I honestly have no issue with this but, assuming 343 is looking into this, everyone and their mom knows that all they see is dollar signs. As @QuietMan said, "You end up with something that feels completely bland and lacking character." Every single change to Halo by 343 and Microsoft has been nothing but bland and lacking character. This will be yet another change for the sake of change. Halo has basically been whored out so 343soft can make a quick buck by imitating CoD.

If 343 does a social space for Halo 6 they will definitely find a way to mess it up.  Over complicated, laggy, dumb things that are not needed and you will probably have to pay to unlock new areas of the map. 

@OG Nick

Just got back from a LAN and used the Duke all night and it actually helped out a lot. A little sore just from the amount we played straight but using that rather than the tiny S type made a noticeable difference.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@OG Nick

Just got back from a LAN and used the Duke all night and it actually helped out a lot. A little sore just from the amount we played straight but using that rather than the tiny S type made a noticeable difference.

the duke is legitimately awesome wish it didn't have this stigma of being larger than life its honestly really comfy

@OG Nick

I guess cause your hands get to stretch a bit more with the bigger controllers?

I have like some sort of carpal tunnel thing in my right hand because my knuckles will start to hurt from holding the 360 and one controllers for too long.

I have like some sort of carpal tunnel thing in my right hand because my knuckles will start to hurt from holding the 360 and one controllers for too long.

It's because you forgot to get tentacles grafted to your body so you could use Halo 5's controls properly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's because you forgot to get tentacles grafted to your body so you could use Halo 5's controls properly.

pfft, you think I have h5 installed LOL. I'm on that minecraft grind.

I will (won't) be shocked when Halo 6 comes out and theater still doesn't work properly nor can you watch with friends.

Hopefully you guys will be able to walk around the tower though. Kappa.

I didn't like Reach but that UI was the best I've ever seen in an FPS.

I thought it improved on H3s UI in every except the file share. It became this semi hidden little option and when you scrolled through peoples files it was just a tiny vertical list that was difficult to interpret. In H3 the large thumbnails made it easy to look through and find funny pictures in the pregame lobby, and it ended up fostering a huge community and culture of cool screenshots because it was so easy to find. In fact if it were up to me I'd make the file share immediately open when you selected someone's name just so the media aspect of the UI would be instantly front and center. And then you could tab over to the other stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@OG Nick

I can't wait for the new Duke.  I will be buying one for sure, possibly 2.

So far that seems to be the case. I'm gonna keep playing with the Duke and see how it goes. Should be playing again this Saturday. We played like 18 hours although I sat for a few series. My problem is that I was not hitting the right face buttons lol. Hitting B when I wanted to hit Y. Always fucking up backpack reload and grabbing weapons. I used to claw throughout Halo but going back I only "semi" or "half" claw, where you only do it when you get into a double melee fight, so doing that with the duke was terrible. I finally got used to it at the end though.

Yup same here. 360 wasn't so bad as OG for me, but I haven't gone back and had a very long session on the 360 since last year. 

the duke is legitimately awesome wish it didn't have this stigma of being larger than life its honestly really comfy

Yeah I always liked them. I used them for the entire life cycle of the OG Xbox. Even clawed with them in Halo 2. I was like 11 though and the controller felt like the perfect size. When the 360 came out it felt like I could crush the thing. Eventually I guess I got used to the tiny size.

You know what they say about people with big hands....

they love the duke

I can’t wait to get home and get my hands on my duke.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I didn't like Reach but that UI was the best I've ever seen in an FPS.

Reach is my favorite game in the series for quite a few things outside of actual gameplay.

Love the art direction, love the grittiness of it, love the armor permutations, favorite UI, I even enjoyed invasion to some degree (only played it with my nephew who wasn't very good, but loved the gametype).

• Upvote (+1) 2