CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Social spaces are one of the actual good innovations from modern gaming, I encourage the next Halo to have one, but not if they'll be handicapping its potential by forcing micro-transactions down our throats i.e. colorful Destiny vendors and challenges for watching people open WWII loot boxes.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't understand the hate for a social space?  As long as I can still get around using a standard reach-esque UI I fail to see the problem?  I have the same opinion on that as i do about playable elites and replacing the magnum with a rifle as long as the other characteristics are the same.  Elites are silly and i dont see the point but hey if some casual wants to play as one and have a giant fucking hitbox for me to duke on fine.  If people are upset that the magnum is "only a sidearm" that's stupid (im sure "sidearms" will be pretty badass by 2500...), but hey i care waaaay more about how the game plays than what the gun looks like. Make it a rifle instead and just make sure it doesn't take up too much screen real-estate.

imo these are the kind of casual things that don't really have an effect on the actual gameplay experience, so why not "throw them a bone"?

My problem with a social space is it just makes you spend more time doing shit, stopping you from getting back into the game. 

I don't want to spend 45 seconds loading into the the UNSC Infinity, walking sprinting over to Palmer at the REQ store and then get to a menu which lets me open my next REQ pack - I just want to open the damn REQ pack and get back into the game ASAP like I currently do in Halo 5.

The more time in actual games, the better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My problem with a social space is it just makes you spend more time doing shit, stopping you from getting back into the game. 

I don't want to spend 45 seconds loading into the the UNSC Infinity, walking sprinting over to Palmer at the REQ store and then get to a menu which lets me open my next REQ pack - I just want to open the damn REQ pack and get back into the game ASAP like I currently do in Halo 5.

The more time in actual games, the better.

Yeah thats what i mean.  If there is a social space, it needs to be an "extra" way to do shit like that.  Not the only way, you should be able to just open the in game menu and do whatever. I think that's fine for loot games, RPGs etc but for a more pure fps, wouldn't work.

When I imagine a social space for Halo, its a spot where doing those things are options but thats not how you have to do it.  I think of it as literally just a more interactive place to chill than a static lobby while you wait to get your party together and not much more than that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol. None of us were particularly good so it would probably be a lot more fun than if everyone was just 3 shot lasering cross-map.

I’ve played as and with people that know how to play. It’s worse that way. The fun comes to a grinding halt at 5v5, I assure you. This was within the last 4-5 years and it’s still fresh in my memory because that was the day where we ALL decided BG wasn’t fun anymore.

None of the spawns are safe, but they’re so close to the obj that you can’t get to it safely either. It always turns into a spawn trap, usually at blue base. Also, there’s 0% chance the game will last less than an hour. The only feasible way to play it is to 1 cap, no touch return, and probably assault rules just to be sure.

Social spaces are one of the actual good innovations from modern gaming, I encourage the next Halo to have one, but not if they'll be handicapping its potential by forcing micro-transactions down our throats i.e. colorful Destiny vendors and challenges for watching people open WWII loot boxes.

What part of a social space is good? I just can't see the benefit of one, especially in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What part of a social space is good? I just can't see the benefit of one, especially in Halo.

Depends on genre but in a shooter there's zero benefit, 343 would probably use it as an excuse to not include BTB again because of resources wasted

Depends on genre but in a shooter there's zero benefit, 343 would probably use it as an excuse to not include BTB again because of resources wasted

I really like WWII's 1v1 arena in the social space. A great way to warm up and check leaderboards. Of course there's nothing stopping you from just having a "1v1" option in a menu, but for some reason I don't think it would be as popular if it wasn't in the HQ Social Space. 

I really like WWII's 1v1 arena in the social space. A great way to warm up and check leaderboards. Of course there's nothing stopping you from just having a "1v1" option in a menu, but for some reason I don't think it would be as popular if it wasn't in the HQ Social Space. 

Okay, I could see a win-to-stay Octagon being popular in a social space.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I know it's not an actual true social space but those missions in Halo 5 where they were just hubs to go talk to people were basically the same thing.

I know it's not an actual true social space but those missions in Halo 5 where they were just hubs to go talk to people were basically the same thing.

Those missions were so fucking immersive™.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They're not a good innovation.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'll admit I thought it was pretty damn revolutionary to me for Perfect Dark N64. I don't remember playing a first person shooter let alone any game that had something like that. I don't remember if you could have 2 players walking around it in N64 though. I know you could on the XBLA port.

I didn't mind them, but I thought those missions were a little weird. Is Halo trying to become an RPG now? It made me wonder if they were made with remnant ideas from that leaked open world concept that was scrapped (assuming it was true).   

I didn't mind them, but I thought those missions were a little weird. Is Halo trying to become an RPG now? It made me wonder if they were made with remnant ideas from that leaked open world concept that was scrapped (assuming it was true).   

Those were definitely levels that got cut.  That's the only explanation that actually makes sense and it jives with the fact that the game was so feature-less when it launched.

Yeah thats what i mean.  If there is a social space, it needs to be an "extra" way to do shit like that.  Not the only way, you should be able to just open the in game menu and do whatever. I think that's fine for loot games, RPGs etc but for a more pure fps, wouldn't work.

When I imagine a social space for Halo, its a spot where doing those things are options but thats not how you have to do it.  I think of it as literally just a more interactive place to chill than a static lobby while you wait to get your party together and not much more than that.

And how many resources would this non-feature take up? We're dealing with the developer that launched Halo 5 with 3 game-types and Breakout. That's my first concern. I would much rather have actual features that do something. Or, you know, the features that previous Halo games had.

My other concern is that once a developer invests resources in the infrastructure required to make this appealing or worthwhile, they aren't just going to make it completely optional and put all of those functions in a tight, responsive, highly functional menu. This has to be a significant element of the game's infrastructure and ideally help drive microtransaction sales to justify the time and expense. Can't wait to get my social rank up by watching kids open sweet, sweet REQ packs!

​"Social space" in this context is really a misnomer. None of these new (not really new) "social" spaces are actually social at all. They're just a virtual space where a bunch of randoms run around ignoring each other and, uh, being immersed? I quite honestly don't understand why this is appealing at all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You get to show off your shinny armor bruh.....

H2 had social spaces.  It was 16 player lobbies where you could show off your shooting star or moon; in my case 37 ;).  Now that was a good social space.  Oh the nostalgia feels thinking of it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Okay, I could see a win-to-stay Octagon being popular in a social space.

How bout a timed parkour course with leader boards where you have to utilize your spartan abilities well to get a low time/high score. 

HOW BOUT FUCK SPARTAN ABILITIES.

Better options than Destiny/WWII style orgy camps:

Pre/post-game/custom lobby chat.

Custom lobby BROWSER.

Proximity chat.

• Upvote (+1) 2

As a concept, social spaces sound good. But experience with Destiny tells a different story. They are just glorified menus that take forever to navigate. They're just another example of "immersion" over practicality. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, especially if immersion is your design goal, just saying what it is. "Innovative" is a strong term to use.

Saying it should be optional is a bit unrealistic. At worse, it would be redundant, players would gravitate immediately to the faster, more intuitive option and ultimately leave the social space devoid of players. If a social space is developed, devs are going to make you use it.

If it's literally a "social space" I don't care for it. If it functions like a 3d menu, I like it.

For example in Destiny, you cant actually do anything in the social space. It just forces you to go there to cash in bounties. If you want to play matchmaking or something you have to go back to orbit and use the navigator or whatever. That's dumb. If I could just walk up up shax and he teleports me into a pvp match or something, then cool. Then you're basically walking around a menu.

And how many resources would this non-feature take up? We're dealing with the developer that launched Halo 5 with 3 game-types and Breakout. That's my first concern. I would much rather have actual features that do something. Or, you know, the features that previous Halo games had.

My other concern is that once a developer invests resources in the infrastructure required to make this appealing or worthwhile, they aren't just going to make it completely optional and put all of those functions in a tight, responsive, highly functional menu. This has to be a significant element of the game's infrastructure and ideally help drive microtransaction sales to justify the time and expense. Can't wait to get my social rank up by watching kids open sweet, sweet REQ packs!

​"Social space" in this context is really a misnomer. None of these new (not really new) "social" spaces are actually social at all. They're just a virtual space where a bunch of randoms run around ignoring each other and, uh, being immersed? I quite honestly don't understand why this is appealing at all.

I don't even disagree with this.  I don't really find it appealing, i just don't find it.... unappealing either?  This is all assuming that the game is complete with all the features that a halo game otherwise should have.  Yeah, i know that's a big assumption but if thats true then whatever, have a social space and let the people that want to chill there chill while I ignore it.

If they really want to make the game more social, bring back proximity chat, clan matches, make game chat work better and force people to use it when playing ranked.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What about a theater mode that can be watched together? Idk though, that might be an option in future games where the hardware can handle it. :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 8

I don't want a social space. Its a glorified menu that forces me to be social.

Lets focus on Halo 6 being a good Halo game before we start looking for shit like Social Spaces.

Destiny 2 social space is a glorified menu for loot and microtransactions.

WW2 social space is a glorified space for loot boxes and microtransactions.

Halo 6 social space will be a glorified menu for req packs and microtransactions.

• Upvote (+1) 1