CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Halo 5 had a forge map with a similar premise at the launch of BTB.

It wasn't particuarlly good (which would be inkeeping with the spirit of those maps I suppose) but it existed.

H5 has a Forge remake of Ragnarok/Valhalla. The Banshees and Snipers completely ruin the map and for some reason there's two Gauss Hogs on it. But hey, it exists.

Lol. Forge remake does not count whatsoever. The entire BTB experience is half-assed in Halo 5. The awful aim assist on every single power weapon, the awful sounds and physics of the vehicles combined with the awful game in general just makes me shudder.

Halo 1/2/3 BTB was phenomenal. Each was unique and exciting with a selection of fantastic maps. I think a few will disagree with me, but I think Halo 3 > Halo 1 > Halo 2 for BTB. Halo 2 had too many "super large" maps for my taste. Halo 1 is fantastic but the vehicle indestructibility and hyper-sight lines on the maps make it slightly less fun than Halo 3 for me. Love all three though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lol. Forge remake does not count whatsoever. The entire BTB experience is half-assed in Halo 5. The awful aim assist on every single power weapon, the awful sounds and physics of the vehicles combined with the awful game in general just makes me shudder.

Halo 1/2/3 BTB was phenomenal. Each was unique and exciting with a selection of fantastic maps. I think a few will disagree with me, but I think Halo 3 > Halo 1 > Halo 2 for BTB. Halo 2 had too many "super large" maps for my taste. Halo 1 is fantastic but the vehicle indestructibility and hyper-sight lines on the maps make it slightly less fun than Halo 3 for me. Love all three though.

CE CTF games used to turn into capture the warthog rather than the flag. Great fun. You didn't need destructible vehicles, seeing as how you could out pistol a tank leaving it in the middle of no mans land for anyone brave enough to try and retrieve.

For me 2 had the best maps, ce the best gameplay. I find h3 overrated, and I really don't get the love for sandtrap, map was absolute balls.

BTB is usually my go to slack around playlist so it's really sucked not having a proper one in H5. When you do queue, if you find a map it's likely to be a join in progress vs a TO8. Such a waste.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't remember the name of the launch one but it is at least worthy of a "you tried" award.

The map was ass so I suppose it doesn't matter.

But I don't care if it's a forge map or Dev map if it's good it's good and that's enough for me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Blood Gulch and Valhalla are a perfect example of fanboy nostalgia. Those maps were never actually good. Is the Valhalla remake in H5 worse than the original? Sure. But it still sucked in H3 too. Giant, open valleys with no cover and almost nothing for anyone to do on foot. I'm sure it's great for kids who consider themselves the "vehicle guy," though. HAHAHA I LOVE BANSHEES.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ctf btb on sandtrap was so fucking ******** it was fun. Kids would collide the elephants at one point on the map which would make the distance to capture the length of roughly 1 pubic hair. Ish people still played btb on h3.

Ctf btb on sandtrap was so fucking ******** it was fun. Kids would collide the elephants at one point on the map which would make the distance to capture the length of roughly 1 pubic hair. Ish people still played btb on h3.

BTB felt social back then. I remember trying to flip the elephant all the time.

BTB felt social back then. I remember trying to flip the elephant all the time.

wait....how did you do that?

Also I got you beat. I spawned a bunch of explosives in it and got it to fly around the map. They would all blow up, respawn then blow up again because of the previous explosions. Thing is deadly when it's flying around the map at Mach 6.

Blood Gulch and Valhalla are a perfect example of fanboy nostalgia. Those maps were never actually good. Is the Valhalla remake in H5 worse than the original? Sure. But it still sucked in H3 too. Giant, open valleys with no cover and almost nothing for anyone to do on foot. I'm sure it's great for kids who consider themselves the "vehicle guy," though. HAHAHA I LOVE BANSHEES.

BG and all it's remakes have been thrash but don't talk shit about my boi Valhalla. It's not perfect by any means but it's one of the better BTB maps of the last decade.

wait....how did you do that?

Also I got you beat. I spawned a bunch of explosives in it and got it to fly around the map. They would all blow up, respawn then blow up again because of the previous explosions. Thing is deadly when it's flying around the map at Mach 6.

I did that again recently to fuel my childhood nostalgia, still bizarrely satisfying to watch.

I think the best part is how natural the movements are, it doesn't rubberband back and forth in a glitchy manner like stuff in Halo 5.

I did that again recently to fuel my childhood nostalgia, still bizarrely satisfying to watch.

I think the best part is how natural the movements are, it doesn't rubberband back and forth in a glitchy manner like stuff in Halo 5.

h3 had the best physics. Reach is second best.

I put a lot of time into Halo 2 BTB and almost the same amount into Halo 3. I always found it to be a lot of fun and thought Halo 2 had some amazing map/gametype combos but it's biggest downfall was the weapon spawn system. There was just a lot of opportunity in H2 to cheese your opponents through numerous methods.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can we talk about the fact that Bungie literally made a custom vehicle for a single map and it was the greatest thing ever. The elephants alone gave sandtrap so much character.

And they also gave winter camos to all the vehicles on Avalanche.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I put a lot of time into Halo 2 BTB and almost the same amount into Halo 3. I always found it to be a lot of fun and thought Halo 2 had some amazing map/gametype combos but it's biggest downfall was the weapon spawn system. There was just a lot of opportunity in H2 to cheese your opponents through numerous methods.

That’s a huge reason why all of H2’s best BTB modes are round based.

Zanzibar 1 Flag/Bomb

Headlong 1 Flag/Bomb

Waterworks Neutral Flag

Weapon respawns aren’t as important if they’re only spawning once.

Can we talk about the fact that Bungie literally made a custom vehicle for a single map and it was the greatest thing ever. The elephants alone gave sandtrap so much character.

I thought you were talking about the Hornet at first and was about to slap you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought you were talking about the Hornet at first and was about to slap you.

fuck the Avalanche hornet. It's the vehicle equivalent of a eunuch.

That’s a huge reason why all of H2’s best BTB modes are round based.

Zanzibar 1 Flag/Bomb

Headlong 1 Flag/Bomb

Waterworks Neutral Flag

Weapon respawns aren’t as important if they’re only spawning once.

I was never a big fan of neutral flag for waterworks solely because that map would boil down to both tanks rushing the middle and whichever teams tank survived would win. You had rockets and a few other tools to help take out a tank, but so did the other team. I feel like I've lost many quick matches on that map/mode solely because of that kind of cheese.

I'll agree that most of those modes are better for the weapon spawn system. I would say that if the defending team on headlong got the human sniper rifle + ammo box that was a pretty big advantage. Not as big as holding the enemy snipe/banshee on coagulation but still pretty nice. Super bouncing was another big issue in any OBJ mode. Despite the many flaws I can find I still considered it my favorite to play.

Of course these things aren't exclusive to BTB and are more map exploits, but turning on your handicap on zanzibar and launching the bomb guy over into the base. Triple jumping up to the flag on Relic and throwing it down. This stuff, on paper, is just terrible but in practice it was a lot of fun to me. I remember playing defense on zanzibar and you'd rush for the items but we would also have to look up just incase bomb guy was soaring over.

Oh yeah terminal was a lot of fun.

BG and all it's remakes have been thrash but don't talk shit about my boi Valhalla. It's not perfect by any means but it's one of the better BTB maps of the last decade.

The problem with both of those maps is that they are only fun when 90% of the people in the game have no clue what the hell they're doing. And even then, one kid in a Banshee can go on a ridiculous spree with one half functional thumb.

I hate to admit that I skip damnation a lot in series now. I do like the map in general but whether money is on the line or not that map is taking 20 minutes to play. My hands just can't go the distance like they use to...

I hate to admit that I skip damnation a lot in series now. I do like the map in general but whether money is on the line or not that map is taking 20 minutes to play. My hands just can't go the distance like they use to...

CV12jGoWwAEpdaB.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 4