CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

TIL: You know in Silent Cartographer when you drive around the island. Turns out at the end of Halo 3 the Warthog run takes place on that same island (When it is being built!)

UaksNqeDmwkSJzMnUAx_42tv4YSf_9XUOrt2nehr

That's an incredible detail from Bungie.

Meanwhile in 343's Halo 5, the ending has you hold left stick forward along a straight path with no sense of danger or excitement as you get pushed down (to 'near death' smh) only to be fine in the campaign mere seconds later.

And this artistic masterpiece.

KZsObxF.jpg

lazy bungie devs

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is r-tarded. Competitive Halo fans hate Halo 5.

You want some more dumb shit?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. People who think sprinting solves or is even about gameplay problems/solultions are looking at it wrong.

Sprint adds barely anything at all to gameplay. It's an aesthetic feature. It's helpful in crafting the feeling of being an agile super-soldier, it's helpful in creating visual spectacle, it's helpful in instilling a sense of pacing rather than pacing itself. It's effectively a narrative device.

Personally, I have no problem with simply accepting that and letting it be included. I like zooming around the map, even if on an intellectual level I know that in relative terms I'm moving at the same speed as previously. I like being able to get a burst of higher speed and kick things into higher gear. I like that if I want to make a machinima, I can have shots of people running around.

Sure, it doesn't raise the skill gap or make the map design more intricate or what have you -- but not every design decision needs to do that. Not every function in game design exists to explicitly be useful, sometimes they exist purely to be enjoyable or fun or fulfill a narrative/aesthetic purpose rather than a functional one. Sprint is form and style over function, essentially. I happen to be okay with it, but most other people seem to not even realize that.

Actual reasoning for sprint being in the game by an actual human being. 

idontwanttoliveonthisplanet.jpg

fucking end me

this is on the same level as posting the high iq rick and morty copypasta unironically

oh my god it gets worse

I wish I culd enjoy vidya gaems becoz I pres buton and now I wave my arms stupidly and got woosh lines on my screen and get to go rlly fast.

• Upvote (+1) 4

even if on an intellectual level I know that in relative terms I'm moving at the same speed as previously

This is what regular zoom died for.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sure, it doesn't raise the skill gap or make the map design more intricate or what have you -- but not every design decision needs to do that. Not every function in game design exists to explicitly be useful, sometimes they exist purely to be enjoyable or fun or fulfill a narrative/aesthetic purpose rather than a functional one. Sprint is form and style over function, essentially.

This part of his argument is valid in principle and I can't really disagree with him here.

It's a shame the rest of the post is idiotic because he basically implies that:

1.  You can't achieve the same sensation through other means.

2.  That how mechanics relate to gameplay is irrelevant to player enjoyment and "looking at it wrong."  No, I'm not looking at the issue wrong if a mechanic's gameplay impacts are exactly what is causing me to enjoy the game less.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Ran into Patch Stay in Killing Floor 2 last night. Dude’s a GOAT in that game too.

How is KF2? I played a lot of the first one and thought it was more fun than left 4 dead. Is it on Xbox as well?

Ran into Patch Stay in Killing Floor 2 last night. Dude’s a GOAT in that game too.

The MP or co-op? Haven't touched the MP but I love the co-op stuff.

Way more fun than current CoD Zombies.

Yeah I was playing it on Xbox. It’s really fun but it’s light on content. I overpaid at 40 bucks bc I really wanted to try it. Great gameplay but the replayability isn’t there imo.

It was in co op. I tried one VS, saw I was playing against level 25’s as an 8, and quit out. I’ll try it when I max a class.

How is KF2? I played a lot of the first one and thought it was more fun than left 4 dead. Is it on Xbox as well?

Welding seems weaker and no one bothers with it anymore.  Which to me is a significant difference.

Classes now have their own unique starting weapons and unique grenades, there's a loadout system for level bonuses (abilities) instead of just direct upgrades to stats each level, there's more classes, and a lot more enemies.  Also some cool new weapons like the Microwave Gun, Flareguns, Sawblade launcher, etc.

It's more or less everything you'd expect a sequel to be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

TIL: You know in Silent Cartographer when you drive around the island. Turns out at the end of Halo 3 the Warthog run takes place on that same island (When it is being built!)

UaksNqeDmwkSJzMnUAx_42tv4YSf_9XUOrt2nehr

That's an incredible detail from Bungie.

Meanwhile in 343's Halo 5, the ending has you hold left stick forward along a straight path with no sense of danger or excitement as you get pushed down (to 'near death' smh) only to be fine in the campaign mere seconds later.

And this artistic masterpiece.

KZsObxF.jpg

I always considered this an Easter egg more than anything. I mean you're driving from the control room which is on a different part of the ring. The map room, the SC island, is somewhere else. Unless they're really close I'm willing to bet it was just an Easter egg.

You can't tell stories through fast ass fast fast ass gameplay.  You can't. 

it's amazing how the docs BR sounds better than the h4/h5 br

• Upvote (+1) 6

Lmao, it's true though. Has a nice "oomph" too it rather than H4's crickets and H5's metallic-but-somehow-still-weak-sounding BR.

Did you see his streamer of the year acceptance speech?  So much respect for the Doctor of Disrespect. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am seeing a lot of bitching everywhere about pro's only wanting Halo to be for them. I know about the Tsquared tweet (Fucking idiot) but a lot of others hold the same opinion about pro's because of greenskulls open letter as well.

Am I missing something, because I'm pretty sure the pro's in greenskull's open letter only wanted a playlist they had control of that they could tweak independently to the rest of the game so that they could play it how they wanted, without forcing it on others?

I just realised that Halo 4 and Halo 5 don't have a Blood Gulch remake or spiritual successor.

Unlike literally ever other Halo game (Blood Gulch, Coagulation, Valhalla, Haemorrhage). Just another Halo icon struck from the list.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just realised that Halo 4 and 5 don't have a Blood Gulch remake or spiritual successor.

Unlike literally ever other Halo game (Blood Gulch, Coagulation, Valhalla, Haemorrhage). Just another Halo icon struck from the list.

They seriously believed Warzone could replace any want for BTB, that's just how out of touch they are.

• Upvote (+1) 4

They seriously believed Warzone could replace any want for BTB, that's just how out of touch they are.

Tinfoil hat time:

343 did this on purpose so they could earn more $$ through warzone. NO good btb maps with garbage btb settings = more people play warzone. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tinfoil hat time:

343 did this on purpose so they could earn more $$ through warzone. NO good btb maps with garbage btb settings = more people play warzone. 

That's not tinfoil, that's a C- exam answer for how they can make Warzone money.

So probably true.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just realised that Halo 4 and 5 don't have a Blood Gulch remake or spiritual successor.

Halo 4 had Ragnarok, which is a remake of the Blood Gulch spiritual successor, Valhalla.

I am seeing a lot of bitching everywhere about pro's only wanting Halo to be for them. I know about the Tsquared tweet (Fucking idiot) but a lot of others hold the same opinion about pro's because of greenskulls open letter as well.

Am I missing something, because I'm pretty sure the pro's in greenskull's open letter only wanted a playlist they had control of that they could tweak independently to the rest of the game so that they could play it how they wanted, without forcing it on others?

Fanboys do this in virtually every game community.  They scapegoat the competitive scene because they're ignorant and gotta find someone to blame for the developer's incompetence that isn't the developers themselves.

Developers make stupid balance decisions and "HURR ESPORTS RUINING THE GAME" even though no one in esports wants to see the changes either.

See for example Overwatch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 4 had Ragnarok, which is a remake of the Blood Gulch spiritual successor, Valhalla.

Very true. Just Halo 5 then.

Halo 5 had a forge map with a similar premise at the launch of BTB.

It wasn't particuarlly good (which would be inkeeping with the spirit of those maps I suppose) but it existed.

H5 has a Forge remake of Ragnarok/Valhalla. The Banshees and Snipers completely ruin the map and for some reason there's two Gauss Hogs on it. But hey, it exists.