CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Beyond%20Thinking.png

Can an HDMI cable limit HDR.  Meaning, if your HDMI cable is older, could it prevent HDR from being compatible.  I wish HDMI cables were clearly marked with their bandwidth. 

Nvm, I found this.  I feel dumb right now like this dumb pipe. 

edit 2: Looks like length can cause issues depending the output voltage of the device and quality of the cable. Makes since.

To get true HDR you need one of these:

QozgxCu.png

• Upvote (+1) 8

Quality isn’t the only factor. Accessibility is almost as important these days. Quake is the least accessible type of shooter out there, and all of the Quake clones have varying levels of quality, which is partly dependent on the low starting population. (We’ll see where Diabotical takes the formula.)

Halo 5 does not excel in either category. This is upsetting because Halo CE was high quality and very accessible. Hence my recent forum posts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quality isn’t the only factor. Accessibility is almost as important these days. Quake is the least accessible type of shooter out there, and all of the Quake clones have varying levels of quality, which is partly dependent on the low starting population. (We’ll see where Diabotical takes the formula.)

Halo 5 does not excel in either category. This is upsetting because Halo CE was high quality and very accessible. Hence my recent forum posts.

Probably the most important factor is the experience around the gameplay. Halo CE was a blast as an accessible couch multiplayer game. It was a social experience. Halo 2 and 3 vastly expanded on that social/community experience. Halo 5 as a social experience at launch in particular was horrendous. That's before you even cover the gameplay.

​Give me an Arena shooter with that kind of social and UGC framework around it. Give me an arena shooter with CS:GO style cosmetics (because, let's be honest, that's a big part of the reason that game exploded). Give me ranked match-making. And, of course, give me balanced, uncluttered core gameplay, no trendy gimmicks, and heavy game-type customization for custom servers. That's the context in which the genre has an opportunity to shine.

To take a modern example, frankly, I don't think that Battle Royal phenomenon has much at all to do with the quality of the gameplay. Most of those games are random, poorly balanced, bug-ridden messes. It's about the larger social experience and the crazy narrative arc of each game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

We are going to make Halo great, I can promise you that. 

I am just bumping this 9 month old statement. I sincerely hope you are right. But considering 343 are working with H6 and not a single word have been said about the direction I wonder...

Regarding H5:

Teaser was released June 2013 (not much)

It was officially announced June 2014

H5 beta was out in December 2014

The game came out October 2015.

So what about Halo 6? Not a single word yet...Why is that?

I am just bumping this 9 month old statement. I sincerely hope you are right. But considering 343 are working with H6 and not a single word have been said about the direction I wonder...

Regarding H5:

Teaser was released June 2013 (not much)

It was officially announced June 2014

H5 beta was out in December 2014

The game came out October 2015.

So what about Halo 6? Not a single word yet...Why is that?

MS (and other publishers) seem to move away from early announcements.

I don't know, maybe it's so people don't get upset when something was promised before relase but not kept or maybe it's some new discovery that people buy more games when they come out shortly after beeing announced?

I don't know, maybe it's so people don't get upset when something was promised before relase but not kept or maybe it's some new discovery that people buy more games when they come out shortly after beeing announced?

Likely due to the spate of games that were announced a while ago getting cancelled in this past year.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty much. Worked great for Fallout 4 and Destiny 2.

Nobody wants another Scalebound.

Or Crackdown....

Just bought one to fix my lag.

Nah fam, this will only eliminate your input lag and make your monitor have a 0.5ms response time.

To fix the real lag, you need one of these. All my Ethernet devices are connected with these bad boys.

dHycyRy.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is like life as a Best Buy employee. The insane lies they wanted me to tell...*shudders*

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is like life as a Best Buy employee. The insane lies they wanted me to tell...*shudders*

I used to work at Best Buy.  Quit my job because of that kind of shit. "Sometimes you're just going to have to sell stuff that people don't actually need" and "never correct someone on the geek squad" (even when they are just dead wrong/lying).  $300 extended warranties on $500 PC's. "If you can't sell them the warranty then just don't sell them anything."  I hated all of that so much. fuck Best Buy.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I used to work at Best Buy.  Quit my job because of that kind of shit. "Sometimes you're just going to have to sell stuff that people don't actually need" and "never correct someone on the geek squad" (even when they are just dead wrong/lying).  $300 extended warranties on $500 PC's. "If you can't sell them the warranty then just don't sell them anything."  I hated all of that so much. fuck Best Buy.

I seem to recall something like a 50$ hard drive installation cost (just the labor) and something like 150$ more to install Windows on it. That's maybe 20 minutes of actual labor at most and requires no expertise whatsoever. Best Buy is a rip-off for anything except price-matching hardware.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I seem to recall something like a 50$ hard drive installation cost (just the labor) and something like 150$ more to install Windows on it. That's maybe 20 minutes of actual labor at most and requires no expertise whatsoever. Best Buy is a rip-off for anything except price-matching hardware.

Yeah we had (back in like 2006 mind you) a $115 hardware installation fee for like $15 NICs. It only went up from there.  I told a customer that and he just about shat his pants. Wasn't even going to buy the NIC.  I ended up going, "look, don't wear polyester pants on shag carpet when you do this, open up the side of the PC, stick the thing in the only slot that it fits in, screw it to the back and turn on your PC.  It's plug-n-play, It'll just work."  Man they were PISSED that i did that. Should have sold the installation apparently.....

• Upvote (+1) 1

For me nothing is better than an announcement trailer telling me that the game will be out THIS YEAR.

Your hype isn't going to last 2 years, I can't even remember half of the game I kickstarted all because I saw a little trailer and liked the gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

To get true HDR you need one of these:

QozgxCu.png

THIS is why we can't have two streams, you'd have to buy another 300k of these bad boys

• Upvote (+1) 1

Any and all feedback is appreciated:

I have been playing around with game settings, with the constraints of keeping all abilities in the game.  I used @@Sitri 's Gold Pro settings as a foundation.  I imagine there have been multiple future iterations, and it's completely possible what I'm purposing isn't remotely new.

Currently coining it Spartan-II settings for the "lore nerds."

Magnum (extended magazine) loadout
120% movement speed
130% forward acceleration
130% strafe acceleration

80% sprint speed - This makes sprint speed ~= the modified base movement speed.  The motivation is to transition sprint into purely a "precursor state" for other movement skills (boost slides and jumps), with no other movement advantage.
Shield recharge while sprinting on - I put this back on since sprinting becomes more neutral (I hope).
Ability tracker radar
130% assassination speed
No splinter grenade pickup

Rather than hopelessly waiting in MM lobbies this evening, I will try to run a no timer, unlimited scoring lobby to see if anyone bites.

File share if anyone wants to dl or improve: Slayer  FFA  CTF  Strongholds  Assault  BTB

(Oddball is in my file share as well, was not updated on Waypoint)

• Upvote (+1) 7

I have been playing around with game settings, with the constraints of keeping all abilities in the game.  I used @@Sitri 's Gold Pro settings as a foundation.  I imagine there have been multiple future iterations, and it's completely possible what I'm purposing isn't remotely new.

Currently coining it Spartan-II settings for the "lore nerds."

120% movement speed
130% strafe acceleration

80% sprint speed - This makes sprint speed ~= the modified base movement speed.  The motivation is to transition sprint into purely a "precursor state" for other movement skills (boost slides and jumps), with no other movement advantage.
Shield recharge while sprinting on - I put this back on since sprinting becomes more neutral (I hope).
Ability tracker radar
130% assassination speed

Rather than hopelessly waiting in MM lobbies this evening, I will try to run a no timer, unlimited scoring lobby to see if anyone bites.

File share if anyone wants to dl or improve: Slayer  FFA  CTF  Strongholds  Assault  BTB

Why are you keeping all the abilities in?

Why are you keeping all the abilities in?

I figured that other people have done that before, and I don't really envision a reality where they are taken out of Halo in the future- so I'm working within those parameters.  I'm more indifferent to abilities than some, and appreciate some of the movement some people can pull off.  That said, shoulder charge should be neutered by the sprint change.

I don't have expectations this takes off- this was just an outlet as I've become increasingly frustrated with matchmaking.  Increasing movement and making sprint "neutral" feels far more compelling to me than balancing a sandbox with 25 weapons.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I figured that other people have done that before, and I don't really envision a reality where they are taken out of Halo in the future- so I'm working within those parameters.  I'm more indifferent to abilities than some, and appreciate some of the movement some people can pull off.  That said, shoulder charge should be neutered by the sprint change.

I don't have expectations this takes off- this was just an outlet as I've become increasingly frustrated with matchmaking.  Increasing movement and making sprint "neutral" feels far more compelling to me than balancing a sandbox with 25 weapons.  

Ok i gotcha.  I was thinking it was a proof of concept for Halo 6. Some of the most fun i have had in Halo 5 was playing sprint-less magnum only starts on Breakout maps but with standard gametypes.

I have been playing around with game settings, with the constraints of keeping all abilities in the game. I used @@Sitri 's Gold Pro settings as a foundation. I imagine there have been multiple future iterations, and it's completely possible what I'm purposing isn't remotely new.

Currently coining it Spartan-II settings for the "lore nerds."

120% movement speed

130% strafe acceleration

80% sprint speed - This makes sprint speed ~= the modified base movement speed. The motivation is to transition sprint into purely a "precursor state" for other movement skills (boost slides and jumps), with no other movement advantage.

Shield recharge while sprinting on - I put this back on since sprinting becomes more neutral (I hope).

Ability tracker radar

130% assassination speed

File share if anyone wants to dl or improve: Slayer FFA CTF Strongholds Assault BTB

This actually sounds good on paper.

Currently, the player is inherently being punished at all times due to sprint- they are either moving too slow for the map and weapon tuning, or they are sprinting and are unable deal damage and lose 360 degree freedom.

This way, the only compromise comes when a user decides they want to prime up a secondary ability. This renders sprint optional, rather than essential and its impact on combat would be similar to simple actions like reloading.

Edit: I got a bunch of FFA games using the custom browser. Everyone really seemed to enjoy themselves. It was nice. I immediately adjusted to it.

Interestingly, I went into HCS MM afterwards and it felt like i was playing in quicksand.

• Upvote (+1) 1