CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Halo 4's soundtrack would fit right in with any of the Transporter or Ocean's Eleven movies. Nothing special at all.

I love you guys man but I swear you guys remind me of this ProZD skit sometimes  :laughing:  (It's all love man, the video is just a joke lol. I just wanted to share it because this dude's videos are fucking hilarious and it was a perfect opportunity).

--------------------------------

Serious half of my reply:

I'm not saying Halo 4's OST is the greatest or anything, but it was pretty decent. I'm just not applying my bias to it for liking the other games. And for the guys who know me personally, you know I'm the biggest CE and H2 fanboy here. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

incredibles%2Bspecial%2Bmeme.jpg

An incredibly deep quote from an Incredible movie. It is still Pixar's greatest film, bar none.

When I saw the teaser trailer for the sequel, it really made my day.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well, yeah. The problem is that there are basically two memorable new tracks in the entire score, 117 being Jinnouchi's biggest contribution (he is, frankly, a better composer than Davidge) and To Galaxy being one of the few times in the entire soundtrack where Davidge wrote something that vaguely resembled the style of Marty and Michael. He still managed to make it sound more like a modern, "heroic" film score as popularized by Han Zimmer than anything else. Really, his best track is probably Green and Blue, but the majority of the OST is completely forgettable.

Yet another way in which 343 tried to leave their mark on the franchise by making it barely resemble previous games. Funnily enough, the two mobile twin stick shooters have soundtracks far more in-line with the Bungie era games, courtesy of Tom Salta.

I can agree with this critique though.

zSWBJKb.png

69e.jpg

Also, this is fucking amazing. I truly lol'd.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think Halo 4's OST sucks because it doesn't sound like classic Halo (but it doesn't).

I think it sucks because it's wholly uninspired.  Because it sounds exactly like a phoned in reimagining of every bit of action flick music ever made in the past decade. You could exchange any song from Halo 4 with any song from Superman, the Avengers, whatever and nothing would be amiss.

Bias for classic Halo has nothing to do with it.  I could still list off several other game OST's that have more personality, more stylistic distinctiveness in 30 seconds of music than Halo 4's OST does in it's entire runtime.

Which makes sense given how generic trend-chasing every other aspect of the game is as well.

Also yes I am 100% the guy in the ProZD video.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Halo 5 had the best soundtrack:

"Higher Ground", by Red Hot Chili Peppers. That song makes the intro a thousand times better.

I don't think Halo 4's OST sucks because it doesn't sound like classic Halo (but it doesn't).

I think it sucks because it's wholly uninspired. Because it sounds exactly like a phoned in reimagining of every bit of action flick music ever made in the past decade. You could exchange any song from Halo 4 with any song from Superman, the Avengers, whatever and nothing would be amiss.

Bias for classic Halo has nothing to do with it. I could still list off several other game OST's that have more personality, more stylistic distinctiveness in 30 seconds of music than Halo 4's OST does in it's entire runtime.

Which makes sense given how generic trend-chasing every other aspect of the game is as well.

Also yes I am 100% the guy in the ProZD video.

FIRST OF ALL, the original John Williams superman score is great, as is Hans Zimmer's score.

SECOND OF ALL, h4s soundtrack actually just drudges up bad feelings whenever I hear it. Like I just remember the sheer disappointment that I felt when I played the game. Also not going to lie, I was listening to the music from the last Harry Potter movie and I noticed quite a few similarities with some of the tracks. Not totally ripped off or anything, but definitely similar.

• Upvote (+1) 1

FIRST OF ALL, the original John Williams superman score is great, as is Hans Zimmer's score.

SECOND OF ALL, h4s soundtrack actually just drudges up bad feelings whenever I hear it. Like I just remember the sheer disappointment that I felt when I played the game. Also not going to lie, I was listening to the music from the last Harry Potter movie and I noticed quite a few similarities with some of the tracks. Not totally ripped off or anything, but definitely similar.

The problem that I have with Zimmer's Superman score is very simple: it sounds like a Modern Hans Zimmer Film Score. And by that I mean you could drop that music into nearly any of his recent works and hardly be able to tell the difference. It doesn't even come close to the emotional association with the character and the work that Williams themes create.

You hear a John Williams theme and you immediately remember where it came from. You hear a modern Hans Zimmer theme and you think "that sure was composed by Hans Zimmer."

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone know if the GTX 1080 TI is HDCP 2.2 compliant?

per nvidia's website, yes it is.

per nvidia's website, yes it is.

Beyond%20Thinking.png

Can an HDMI cable limit HDR.  Meaning, if your HDMI cable is older, could it prevent HDR from being compatible.  I wish HDMI cables were clearly marked with their bandwidth. 

Nvm, I found this.  I feel dumb right now like this dumb pipe. 

Dumb pipe

HDMI cables are just a dumb pipe. They don't care (to an extent) what you send through them. There is no such thing as an "HDR HDMI" cable or an "HDMI 2.0" cable. That second one is important. HDMI cables don't have version numbers. The connections have version numbers. So your TV might be "HDMI 2.0a" (and indeed needs to be for HDR), but the cable you plug into it doesn't have a number. It's just an HDMI cable.

edit 2: Looks like length can cause issues depending the output voltage of the device and quality of the cable. Makes since.

When people start defending Halo 5's abysmal population because there are more games out and I point out Rainbow 6 Siege has had the same lifespan and is still in the Top 5 for Xbox Live and its population is pretty consistently going up, and there response is 'Popular means good? Oh i must be lost. I didnt know the academy awards for best picture goes to the most popular..damn'

You're a fucking drongo if you refuse to accept that there is a clear link between quality games and the population of that game.Same guy also goes on to say that 'Its a different type if shooter and people got into it. Also had an amazing post launch support strategy.'

Fucking WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER. Siege is a different type of game in this FPS market of Advanced Movement which is why it attracts an audience of people fed up with the current trends. Its Post Launch support is free content, like Halo 5.

HALO 5 HAS A BAD POPULATION BECAUSE ITS A GENERIC SHIT GAME AND THE GAMING COMMUNITY AREN'T GOING TO PLAY SPACE RANGER COD WHEN REAL COD IS BETTER AT BEING COD.

GOOD GAME = LOTS OF PLAYERS

BAD GAME = NO PLAYERS

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

/rant

• Upvote (+1) 5

I agree that Halo 5 isn't a popular game because it's a generic and mediocre experience.

I agree that "DER R MOAR GAMES NOW" is a moronic excuse for low population.

I can't agree that there's a direct link between quality and popularity.  The mainstream isn't exactly known for having discerning taste, and there's no way in hell I'd ever say CoD is a more quality game than a game like Quake based on popularity.

Edit:  Rather, quality and population are often related but not always directly correlated.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Beyond%20Thinking.png

Can an HDMI cable limit HDR. Meaning, if your HDMI cable is older, could it prevent HDR from being compatible. I wish HDMI cables were clearly marked with their bandwidth.

Nvm, I found this. I feel dumb right now like this dumb pipe.

edit 2: Looks like length can cause issues depending the output voltage of the device and quality of the cable. Makes since.

You might need "high bandwidth" cables to run at higher refresh rates but in general yeah, for short cables if it fits it works. HDMI cables are cheap though (get them from monoprice https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cables) so if you have an issue it's not a big deal to replace them. Do not let the brick and mortar stores swindle you into buying their $50 cables.

I agree that Halo 5 isn't a popular game because it's a generic and mediocre experience.

I can't agree that there's a direct link between quality and popularity.  The mainstream isn't exactly known for having discerning taste, and there's no way in hell I'd ever say CoD is a more quality game than a game like Quake based on popularity.

I'm going to reword it in as many different ways as possible just in case one of them makes sense because I cannot make it make sense.... (THEY ARE TRYING TO SAY THE SAME THING)

Quake is a pretty niche title and would fall as an outlier in the general good game = good population. 

However relative to the appeal a game like Quake would have to the audience that like Quake it would have a good population.

A good game might have a bad population if its appeal isn't that widespread (I.E Quake, Red Orchestra 2)

But a shit game will have a shit population regardless of appeal (I.E Halo MCC, you cannot argue that it was good because it's a broken POS and its population is shitty as a result.)

Its confusing as fuck, but...

Good game will tend to hold a higher population.

A good game can have a low population especially with niche titles with little appeal (Cannot be applied to Halo, because its Microsoft's flagship title, its supposed to be their console seller)

But a shit game won't hold a population because regardless of how poor the mainstreams audiences taste are, they don't stick around with shit games. 

So the general trend of good quality = good population still exists with outliers because of niche titles which may be better games but don't hold the same population because of lack of appeal.

Or Population = Appeal. Games with a higher population are obviously more appealing for one reason or another be it because its a good game, because it offers a unique experience etc. Halo 5's population sucks because its got no appeal because its not that good and other games do the same thing it's trying to do but better.

A bad game would be less appealing so less population.

A Niche title like Quake is less appealing so less population regardless of quality. It just doesn't have a target audience that is as large as others.

IN GOOGLE TRANSLATED GERMAN, Maybe shiity translation makes it understandable?

Gutes Spiel wird tendenziell eine höhere Bevölkerung halten.

Ein gutes Spiel kann eine niedrige Bevölkerung vor allem mit Nischen-Titel mit wenig Anklang haben (Kann nicht auf Halo angewendet werden, weil seine Microsoft-Vorzeigetitel, es soll ihre Konsole Verkäufer sein)

Aber ein Scheiß-Spiel wird keine Bevölkerung halten, denn egal wie schlecht die Mainstream-Zuschauer sind, sie bleiben nicht bei Scheiß-Spielen.

Der allgemeine Trend guter Qualität = gute Bevölkerung existiert also immer noch mit Ausreißern wegen Nischentiteln, die vielleicht bessere Spiele sind, aber wegen mangelnder Attraktivität nicht die gleiche Bevölkerung halten.

Oder Bevölkerung = Appell. Spiele mit einer höheren Bevölkerung sind offensichtlich aus einem oder anderen Grund attraktiver, weil es ein gutes Spiel ist, weil es eine einzigartige Erfahrung bietet. Die Bevölkerung von Halo 5 ist sauer, weil es keinen Reiz hat, weil es nicht so gut ist und andere Spiele das Gleiche tun. was es versucht, aber besser zu machen.

Ein schlechtes Spiel wäre weniger attraktiv, also weniger Bevölkerung.

Ein Nischentitel wie Quake ist weniger ansprechend, also weniger Bevölkerung unabhängig von der Qualität. Es hat einfach keine Zielgruppe, die so groß ist wie andere.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I can't agree that there's a direct link between quality and popularity. The mainstream isn't exactly known for having discerning taste, and there's no way in hell I'd ever say CoD is a more quality game than a game like Quake based on popularity.

Edit: Rather, quality and population are often related but not always directly correlated.

< This, if games were popular based on quality quake champions, reflex, and tekken 7 would be doing way better.