CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I like how Reach looks, I just hate that weird blur effect it has.

I found it funny that Rocksteady did something similar to what bungie did with reach (their last halo) for their last arkham game. They added a grainy filter, more motion blur and a more realistic art direction.

The way I look at the games visually:

CE CEA H2A Reach > H3 > H2 > The5 The4

I just can't decide between the top four because they all have their unique strengths and weaknesses.

-Reach does it's own thing separate from the other games very well, environments are a bit bland but models are amazing for the most part.

-Ce looks great in it's simplicity, it has the right amount of color and also very good lighting effects for it's time.  Spartans actually look like their armor is metallic, surfaces are neither too dull nor too shiny.

-CEA takes a few too many liberties in some areas, but overall feels like a faithful albeit more cartoony and enhanced Ce with some elements from the other games.

-H2A is also colorful in a good way, but could do without the promethean shit, and there's only so much you can polish Halo 2.

Vanilla Halo 2 looks like ass.  The colors are far too dirty and washed out, and the level of texture and polygon detail falls in the uncanny valley between old school and modern.  Reach takes the same gritty concept and actually executes it well.

Halo 3 is an improvement over Halo 2 and is overall a good looking game, but it's far from my favorite and still falls in that uncanny valley for me.  Lord Hood is a good example.

343i's games have tons of ridiculous designs and don't even look like Halo, and as for level of detail they aren't really special in that department either.  Automatically at the bottom.

I don't have a huge problem with the order aside from CEA being anywhere near the top, because that game looks like dog shit. It completely misses the point of CE's art style and removes all of the subtlety that made it work in favor of cramming in detail that improves nothing, like adding tons of goofy lights and patterns to the Forerunner architecture and adding giant individual blades of grass on Halo. Their new modern shader for the Mjolnir armor just looks worse (despite being more modern and likely more "realistic"). It just seems like they tried way too hard to "modernize" it. Ultimately, biggest and most unforgivable thing they completely fucked up is the lighting and the fog. It completely kills the mysterious, alien atmosphere of the Forerunner structures and the flood and no level exemplifies this better than 343 Guilty Spark. It's just night and day.

I don't know what happened with CEA, because H2A looks great, but I'll play with the original graphics whenever I revisit CEA/MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh sit down, we're having a discussion. H2A suffers from the same thing H4 and H5 suffer from, a "noisy" graphical style. First, I'm aware CA made H2A maps though they used 343's assets. 343 in their infinite wisdom over-details every single texture they lay a finger on in hopes it makes their game better looking.

Example A

40mxJ4k.jpg

WTF is this eye-sore? I feel like it's forcing my eyes to move on their own because I'm scared if I focus on one spot long enough I'll go blind. It's like 343 slides the saturation slider to 110% on every pixel and when it's still too ugly even for them, they just add lights and different shades of the same color on an object to make up for a lack of creativity. "Art isn't in the detail, it's in the simplicity." - some art snob that was famous enough to have a quote on my high school's hallway wall.

Example B

1KCdxBi.jpg

Now before your anus tightens up for me using a shit map, just focus on the art style of this. Just look at this simplistic beauty. It doesn't need some giant hologram at the top of the bases for some lore reason that no one cares about to look good. That base is two fucking colors. Two! Two god-damn colors and it still looks better than whatever 343 comes up with in their fifty-shades of grey on the map above.

If 343 made Snowbound's design, there would be some "ominous" planet in the sky that would be blowing up or something so they can add 2,323 colors to the explosion, then there would shiny comets falling into the atmosphere to give "a sense of dread that the galaxy is in danger" or whatever they add in the map description in the loading menu. Don't forget 343's power rangers running everywhere but that's another discussion.

Example C

5w7Rvsb.jpg

Do you see what I mean now? I feel like 343's Halo universe is on pause a split-second before an atomic bomb goes off. I rather burn my retinas staring at the sun than staring at this image for 10 seconds.

This man gets it. H3 is the best game I've ever seen artistically. Reach/Destiny follow.

<3 Bungies art team

• Upvote (+1) 5

Remember that H2A campaign has different visuals and audio than the MP. Yes H2A MP is just a glorified H4 mod, but the campaign honestly has the best art style of any video game I've ever played. (only rivaled by DOOM and H3)

Halo-2-Anniversary-Plasma-Rifle.png

• Upvote (+1) 7

snip

This is why most modern games suck graphics wise. Halo 3 was so good at adding minimal detail and choosing a perfect color palette so that you always see everything at a glance. It also helps when things are kept simple because when you use so much detail and really go for a realistic look your game looks like this years later

socom2_review.jpg?format=1500w

Where a game like Halo 3 might show its age a little bit but years from now it'll still never look like this because of the very slight cartoony feel and the fact that they didn't add details that just look like shit no matter how you swing it. There's also the part where games like Halo 5 start being visually confusing at a glance which is never good in an FPS

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't know what happened with CEA, because H2A looks great, but I'll play with the original graphics whenever I revisit CEA/MCC.

Generally I'm the same, but I make an exception for The Library. It's a little overdone, but I prefer that over how under-done the original is.

Remember that H2A campaign has different visuals and audio than the MP. Yes H2A MP is just a glorified H4 mod, but the campaign honestly has the best art style of any video game I've ever played. (only rivaled by DOOM and H3)

Halo-2-Anniversary-Plasma-Rifle.png

I like how you can look up and not burn your eyes irl

Yeah. To be clear, I was primarily referring to Saber's work with the campaign remaster, not Certain Affinity's H4: H2 Edition. Though, I think Warlord and Shrine look quite nice, tbh.

• Upvote (+1) 1

~snip~

Oh yeah fuck the MP, I forgot that the MP and Campaign had different art styles.

But H2A Campaign is hands down the best looking and is the best art style.

LOOK AT IT, LOOOOOOOKKK AT IT, ITS STUNNING

202984_screenshot_11_l.jpg

Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2015-12-11&sr

• Upvote (+1) 4

DID YOU SAY OVER-DETAILED?!

kraken-square-542x542-525b0bb2e6334eecb5

"Hey remember how fun the Scarab's were to fight in Halo 3?" ~ Employee 1

"Yeah they were awesome" ~ Employee 2

"Well fuck 'em look at this" ~ Employee 1

"Holy shit what the fuck is going on" ~ Employee 2

"I know right its so fucking visually amazing" ~ Employee 1

"Its Triple AAA 2017 as fuck!" ~ Employee 2

• Upvote (+1) 3

"Hey remember how fun the Scarab's were to fight in Halo 3?" ~ Employee 1

"Yeah they were awesome" ~ Employee 2

"Well fuck 'em look at this" ~ Employee 1

"Holy shit what the fuck is going on" ~ Employee 2

"I know right its so fucking visually amazing" ~ Employee 1

"Its Triple AAA 2017 as fuck!" ~ Employee 2

This shit still angers me. They took everything that made scarab fights good and threw them in the trash. "But its bigger!" was probably the motto.

I just dont understand why they felt the need to change so much in the first place. The art style in Bungie Halo games were fine, surely would have even been easier to just replicate it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Oh yeah fuck the MP, I forgot that the MP and Campaign had different art styles.

But H2A Campaign is hands down the best looking and is the best art style.

LOOK AT IT, LOOOOOOOKKK AT IT, ITS STUNNING

202984_screenshot_11_l.jpg

Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2015-12-11&sr

Ok now it makes sense all of the H2A art style praising, you were talking about campaign.

Because Sanctuary had a glare that burnt your eyes.

H2A campaign art style actually looks like how I imagined the next Halo would look like after H3.

• Upvote (+1) 2