CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The main issue is that they felt they needed to "raise the stakes". How do we go bigger and badder than covenant+flood? Oh, we need a new enemy that wants to eradicate humanity.

So they came up with a bunch of contrived BS to explain why Forerunners would hate humanity. I know Greg Bears books are considered solid sci-fi, but everything about this part of the universe is out of tone for halo. We've got Ancient Humanity, souls of people living inside other people and/or machines, Forerunners learning about each other's past by either biting each other or mutating together. And now, an AI uprising. It's fucking stupid. And ofcourse for gamers, all of this is occurring in the background so we only see the results, which appear totally random in relation to what we've learned about the universe prior.

Instead of trying to create a new, bigger threat. They could have just put chief into difficult situations against already existing threats. We still had Jul Mdama's covenant. we still had the outer colonies and Insurrectionists. We still had Jackal Piracy. We still had Oni Conspiracies. There was plenty of backstory to make a good compelling story with exciting gameplay, without the need for a new middle earth Satan.

They should balance the progression around a sense of pride. No less than 100K for Chief.

Totally agree.

If you *have* to try continuing the story after Halo 3, I would have liked to have seen a sort of cold war effect with Halo rings acting as the nukes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Totally agree.

If you *have* to try continuing the story after Halo 3, I would have liked to have seen a sort of cold war effect with Halo rings acting as the nukes.

People were actually excited about the cold war idea. I know I was, and I think that's why the Hunt The Truth campaign was so well recieved. It actually made sense given the power vacuum created by the covenant falling apart.

• Upvote (+1) 2

People were actually excited about the cold war idea. I know I was, and I think that's why the Hunt The Truth campaign was so well received. It actually made sense given the power vacuum created by the covenant falling apart.

I just don't know how they dig themselves out of the narrative hole they are in.

I just don't know how they dig themselves out of the narrative hole they are in.

Apparently with bits of lore found in loot crates that 0.1% of Halo fans purchase.

https://youtu.be/NNU2ZeAi-Vw

logic plague makes sense, but it and the domain are concepts that should have been explored H4, if they were going to use them in h5 and beyond. Also, it could’ve played nicely with the Cold War if Cortana and the AI were secretly cross leaking confidential info to keep enemy factions in conflict with each other, weakening them so that she could take over

• Upvote (+1) 1

People were actually excited about the cold war idea. I know I was, and I think that's why the Hunt The Truth campaign was so well recieved. It actually made sense given the power vacuum created by the covenant falling apart.

Imagine a world in which Hunt the Truth and Halo 5's plot were actually related in some way. That would be different.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Apparently with bits of lore found in loot crates that 0.1% of Halo fans purchase.

logic plague makes sense, but it and the domain are concepts that should have been explored H4, if they were going to use them in h5 and beyond. Also, it could’ve played nicely with the Cold War if Cortana and the AI were secretly cross leaking confidential info to keep enemy factions in conflict with each other, weakening them so that she could take over

That's such a garbage way to tell a story.

To be less inflammatory, a video game story should never require outside sources to make sense.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's such a garbage way to tell a story.

To be less inflammatory, a video game story should never require outside sources to make sense.

I know man. I’m getting heated just thinking about it.

Like had H4 simply mentioned that some of these things were possible, H5 could have actually made sense to people.

I can’t tell if this was the plan all along, or if 343 is scrambling to make sense of things via pre-established lore.

Imagine a world in which Hunt the Truth and Halo 5's plot were actually related in some way. That would be different.

Hunt the Truth was SO FUCKING GOOD.  When i heard there was no tie-in to the game i was baffled.  It made what ended up being the H5 story even worse by comparison.

Like had H4 simply mentioned that some of these things were possible, H5 could have actually made sense to people.

I can’t tell if this was the plan all along, or if 343 is scrambling to make sense of things via pre-established lore.

Scrambling.  100% scrambling.

I mean, its possible they planned a little more explanation in H5 during the 3 levels that were clearly cut but still...

The thing is, i though the handling of the relationship between chief and cortana in halo 4 was pretty good, but the context that it all occurred in was.... bad.  Halo 5 pretty much only expanded on the shitty stuff from halo 4.

The thing is, i though the handling of the relationship between chief and cortana in halo 4 was pretty good, but the context that it all occurred in was.... bad.

I hate their Halo 4 relationship. It's not badly told, Don't me wrong.

But Cheif and Cortana have known each other for less than 3 months and have actively worked together for less than a week by the end of Halo 3.... Their sudden closeness in Halo 4 makes zero sense. Halo CE-3 they seem like colleagues who get on well, not best friends.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I hate their Halo 4 relationship. It's not badly told, Don't me wrong.

But Cheif and Cortana have known each other for less than 3 months and have actively worked together for less than a week by the end of Halo 3.... Their sudden closeness in Halo 4 makes zero sense. Halo CE-3 they seem like colleagues who get on well, not best friends.

I hear you, but as a viewer who gives 0 shits about the EU or timelines beyond the order in which story elements happen (like the VAST majority of players) it feels like they have been together forever.

Anyone want to put a squad together right now? I'm on and I think OG Nick is trying to play too.

Anyone want to put a squad together right now? I'm on and I think OG Nick is trying to play too.

I can get on in probably an hour

• Upvote (+1) 1

They were just dreams nightmares while Chief was in cryosleep after Halo 3.

FTFY

Nothing would surprise me at this point.

So much scrambling. The dropped the Didact plot, they dropped the Chief genesong shit, they ended Spartan Ops's storyline in a comic by taking away the Janus Key (literally goes fucking poof), making Halsey and Palmer randomly make up and then they kill Jul Mlady in Halo 5's first cutscene, only to immediately replace him with some random Elite in another comic with no back story compared to the trilogy of fucking books Jul had.

Christ what the fuck happened to Halo's story.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I would love to see chief in a real war fight. Like dropping him on dday or something.

Halo 6: WW2.

Includes Nazi Covenants Game Mode.

Sprint is a shitty mechanic in general that adds basically nothing of value to FPS games. It exists for two reasons: to separate movement and combat just like ADS does (which makes shooting easier) and to foster "immersion." That's why you can't just "sprint and shoot." That defeats the primary purpose of the mechanic to begin with.

How does ADS makes shooting easier ? It makes it harder for me, having a gun block my sight.

So much scrambling. The dropped the Didact plot, they dropped the Chief genesong shit, they ended Spartan Ops's storyline in a comic by taking away the Janus Key (literally goes fucking poof), making Halsey and Palmer randomly make up and then they kill Jul Mlady in Halo 5's first cutscene, only to immediately replace him with some random Elite in another comic with no back story compared to the trilogy of fucking books Jul had.

Christ what the fuck happened to Halo's story.

Welp, when you put it that way.

It just sucks because there was a lot of potential being hampered by poor execution. Rather than improving the execution, they just toss out the bits with potential.

How does ADS makes shooting easier ? It makes it harder for me, having a gun block my sight.

Because it slows down your movement. It makes your aim more steady and also makes it easier to kill people when they are ADSing. H5 doesn't slow down your movement when ADSing outside of stabilize though, so you're right that it's a straight downgrade from traditional zooming.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ADS is literally a case of "Hmm, what do gamers expect out of a traditional FPS these days?"

We've heard them admit that was the case with sprint, so there is no way there is any other reason they went with ADS in Halo.