CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Random question for @@MultiLockOn and any other forgers.  

When you are creating a map, do you conceptualize on paper first for the layout, scaling etc then build it? Or take a more Tolkien-esque approach and just start building? or something different...

This has no relevance to anything, just scratching my curiosity.

Both.  Sometimes designs come to life organically.  Other times I have it almost completely designed (either in my head, or on paper) before I begin building.  I personally don't have a strict process I follow.  The development of each project is a bit different.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah i actually had fun with that list. I played on ctf match of this playlist and I was done.

I cant believe this is the CE magnum they came up with. Has anyone at 343 ever played the game?

It's so annoying because I talk about it on other forums and people are like "is exactly how I remember it".

I guess they only played against people who didnt strafe.

ROFL. Those people must have lived in a parallel universe than mine back in 01.

Also, Hang 'Em High is, IMO, a dumb map. Nostalgia has colored that one better than it is to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're crazy man Hang'em is a great map.  Maybe on every other shitty version of Halo where there isn't a utility weapon with significant range that requires leading.    

No they actually just have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. It has the same general shape. Exactly as they remember it

I mean I remember getting perfects all the time... because my little brother's go to tactic was to run directly at me with an AR.

I also got a lot of perfect against my friends... who didnt own Xboxes and who's only experience with console FPS was goldeneye.

When i played against people who knew what they were doing, perfects were rare.

I actually think they left the SA's on because of that ridiculous CE pistol. At least you can try and dodge it with thrust. I think It is pretty stupid though to make this playlist with abilities to begin with considering they removed them in the H3 playlist.

Even with all the micro transaction bs with BF2, I'm most likely gonna switch to that because the frame dropping in BTB is just too much since the update and somehow I doubt they're gonna fix it.

I usually just button mash when I forge and see what happens. 

haha same.  All i use forge for is see the spawn points on maps.  

Forging isn't really my jam.

Random question for @@MultiLockOn and any other forgers.  

When you are creating a map, do you conceptualize on paper first for the layout, scaling etc then build it? Or take a more Tolkien-esque approach and just start building? or something different...

This has no relevance to anything, just scratching my curiosity.

There's no "correct" way to start a map.  Sometimes I see a concept art picture of a single path and I get so inspired that I build an entire level around that path. This single image from the Doom Alpha early 2016 inspired all of Oblivion

DOOM_Infernal.jpg?itok=rAJkTurh

ikYLLuA.png

Sometimes it's just a principle I want to build around.  For Legion it was pure aggression, I wanted a map where I would actually be rewarded for pushing nonstop and not punished.  For Arcanum it was the key, obviously.  Everyone's different.  I PERSONALLY have never done a top down 2d layout in my life and I never plan to.  Honestly, I find them stupid because I don't think about maps in 2d and I certainly don't balance them like that.  My brain just doesn't work like that lmao I need everything in 3d to really interpret how it'll play out.

One of the things that frustrated me at Treyarch was that you weren't even allowed to start making a map in 3d unless you created a top down 2d layout in photoshop and pitched it to the production team with a map name/description, concept images, first encounters, such and such.  And if your top down wasn't a 3 lane....it didn't get approved lmao.  Was very frustrating for me.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You're crazy man Hang'em is a great map.  Maybe on every other shitty version of Halo where there isn't a utility weapon with significant range that requires leading.    

I personally enjoy playing it despite the fact that it's known as "random high" and offers a lot of potential for a lesser skilled team to squeak out a win on that map. I find it refreshing despite it's flaws. I can't imagine it in any other Halo game, and even if "Tombstone" was scaled properly for Halo 2 it still would have been terrible, and probably somehow worse than it already was.

I actually think they left the SA's on because of that ridiculous CE pistol. At least you can try and dodge it with thrust. I think It is pretty stupid though to make this playlist with abilities to begin with considering they removed them in the H3 playlist.

Even with all the micro transaction bs with BF2, I'm most likely gonna switch to that because the frame dropping in BTB is just too much since the update and somehow I doubt they're gonna fix it.

If your playing on Xbox add me so we can squad up sometime

There's no "correct" way to start a map. Sometimes I see a concept art picture of a single path and I get so inspired that I build an entire level around that path. This single image from the Doom Alpha early 2016 inspired all of Oblivion

DOOM_Infernal.jpg?itok=rAJkTurh

ikYLLuA.png

Sometimes it's just a principle I want to build around. For Legion it was pure aggression, I wanted a map where I would actually be rewarded for pushing nonstop and not punished. For Arcanum it was the key, obviously. Everyone's different. I PERSONALLY have never done a top down 2d layout in my life and I never plan to. Honestly, I find them stupid because I don't think about maps in 2d and I certainly don't balance them like that. My brain just doesn't work like that lmao I need everything in 3d to really interpret how it'll play out.

One of the things that frustrated me at Treyarch was that you weren't even allowed to start making a map in 3d unless you created a top down 2d layout in photoshop and pitched it to the production team with a map name/description, concept images, first encounters, such and such. And if your top down wasn't a 3 lane....it didn't get approved lmao. Was very frustrating for me.

I used to be the same way with forge in 3 and reach. Except I made admittedly terrible maps. Like I'd watch The Pacific and then make a ww2 beach landing map on last resort or something.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I’d love it if instead of H6, they went Pre-Reach and let this Forerunner Saga BS cook in the oven.

I’d love to go back to military sci-fi themes, fighting fun enemies.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I’d love it if instead of H6, they went Pre-Reach and let this Forerunner Saga BS cook in the oven.

nah we power rangers now

• Upvote (+1) 2

I love the idea of the Forerunners being involved in the main series, but the way they're involved doesn't feel good/isn't very fun.

I have always felt this would have been a better way to make new Halo games after Halo 3. Halo 3 is like return of the king. How do you make a sequel to return of the king after basically killing middle earth Satan?

Now apply that logic to Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hope H6 Cortana resembles H4 Cortana more than her H5 design.

Hey, man. You take that back. Butter face Corntana is people too.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've been gone for a few weeks, and when I return, I see that 343 have somehow made things even worse than before.

It's almost impressive, really.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have always felt this would have been a better way to make new Halo games after Halo 3. Halo 3 is like return of the king. How do you make a sequel to return of the king after basically killing middle earth Satan?

Now apply that logic to Halo 3.

The main issue is that they felt they needed to "raise the stakes". How do we go bigger and badder than covenant+flood? Oh, we need a new enemy that wants to eradicate humanity.

So they came up with a bunch of contrived BS to explain why Forerunners would hate humanity. I know Greg Bears books are considered solid sci-fi, but everything about this part of the universe is out of tone for halo. We've got Ancient Humanity, souls of people living inside other people and/or machines, Forerunners learning about each other's past by either biting each other or mutating together. And now, an AI uprising. It's fucking stupid. And ofcourse for gamers, all of this is occurring in the background so we only see the results, which appear totally random in relation to what we've learned about the universe prior.

Instead of trying to create a new, bigger threat. They could have just put chief into difficult situations against already existing threats. We still had Jul Mdama's covenant. we still had the outer colonies and Insurrectionists. We still had Jackal Piracy. We still had Oni Conspiracies. There was plenty of backstory to make a good compelling story with exciting gameplay, without the need for a new middle earth Satan.

So Halo 6 is going to be a hero shooter right?

60,000 Req points for Master Chief is it then......

They should balance the progression around a sense of pride. No less than 100K for Chief.
  • Upvote (+1) 5