CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Apparently has to do with a shortage due to manufacturing transitions + phone production as well as illegal price fixing. Thanks Samsung, Hynix, Micron...

16 GB used to be under $100, now most kits are nearing $200 or above it.

Heard some PC parts were being driven up by Bitcoin miners as well.

Heard some PC parts were being driven up by Bitcoin miners as well.

Only GPU's. Miners have been buying GTX 1060/1070 in bulk, as well as the older Radeon cards like RX580. As a result, the original roughly $400 USD price of the GTX 1070 rose to around $500. At that point, it would be better to spend a little more and get a GTX 1080.

Miners didn't go for 1080 or 1080Ti as they utilize GDDR5X memory which is worse for certain currencies due to their associated algorithms. As a result, those cards are less performance for the money.

are the servers particularly screwy today...? for the last 20 mins, I've been getting to the stage where everyone's emblem load) and then get dumped out to the Unable to start dedicated server redscreen

If Halo 5 was thanksgiving dinner, 343i be like...

Look!

I Got Beans Greens Potatoes Tomatoes
Lamb Rams Pork Maw
Beans Greens Potatoes Tomatoes
Chicken Turkeys Rabbit

YOU NAME IT!

Thanks grandma, but all we wanted was a simple Turkey dinner with some stuffing, potatoes, and gravy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Halo 5 was thanksgiving dinner, 343i be like...

Look!

I Got Beans Greens Potatoes Tomatoes

Lamb Rams Pork Maw

Beans Greens Potatoes Tomatoes

Chicken Turkeys Rabbit

YOU NAME IT!

Thanks grandma, but all we wanted was a simple Turkey dinner with some stuffing, potatoes, and gravy.

Except everything that was offered is also likely half cooked.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just played my first match of this game in probably 6 months. Played about 5 games and already had enough. The biggest problem with this game is that it just isn't very fun. Oh well. 

(Thrusters and Sprint feel even more out of place now actually, but thats what happens when you just follow trends.)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Anyone else get a 38 MB update that completely wrecks the game? Like, clipping audio because the framerate is so poor levels of broken. I though my Xbox was about to die. Can this company just stop existing please?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Wtf is up with that turkey?

That turkey (from Christmas Vacation) captures the essence of Halo 5.  Looks great on the outside.  Looks delicious.  But when you sit down to cut it open and enjoy, you find nothing but emptiness and disappointment. There is no sustenance. It has been overcooked with spartan abilities, warzone, and req packs.  They make it appear from the outside to provide a great feast, but really, there is no Halo left on the inside. Only sorrow and a never ending hunger for the Good ole' classic Halo days.  

p.s. If you haven't seen Christmas Vacation, for the love of God, please culture yourself. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

That turkey (from Christmas Vacation) captures the essence of Halo 5. Looks great on the outside. Looks delicious. But when you sit down to cut it open and enjoy, you find nothing but emptiness and disappointment. There is no sustenance. It has been overcooked with spartan abilities, warzone, and req packs. They make it appear from the outside to provide a great feast, but really, there is no Halo left on the inside. Only sorrow and a never ending hunger for the Good ole' classic Halo days.

p.s. If you haven't seen Christmas Vacation, for the love of God, please culture yourself.

I knew the turkey looked familiar. But i couldn't remember where from. Now I do. That gif is more disturbing than i remember.

"Grace? She passed away 30 years ago"

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just look at this shit lmaooooooooooo

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Basuuuuu/video/38934343

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Basuuuuu/video/38934344

These clips don't do it justice btw. Literally 10 FPS and the sound stutters like crazy (probably why these clips have no sound). Wish I still had my capture card hooked up, I've never seen a console game breaking like this.

Reminds me of the time I did super low fps testing in H5.

https://streamable.com/s/wn11u/vxjjgn

• Upvote (+1) 1

^ that's exactly what it felt like to play. I hard reset my console and it works (for now).

Also, remember when Frankie said "we can't give you guys split screen as the game requires constant 60 FPS to work"? Rofl what a load of horseshit.

+1

I paid 75$ for my Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB kit in July of 2016. 

Today? 

$117 on Amazon FOR A SINGLE GOD DAMN 8GB STICK.

A little late on the reply, but it's seriously absurd. I don't want to move into the cloud because it's an expensive recurring cost, but damn... it might be the play until prices drop. Then again... folks moving the cloud is a contributing factor to why the prices are so high... so I'm just contributing to my own problem. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

^ that's exactly what it felt like to play. I hard reset my console and it works (for now).dan

Also, remember when Frankie said "we can't give you guys split screen as the game requires constant 60 FPS to work"? Rofl what a load of horseshit.

Yeah, I did extensive testing at 200+, 120, 60, 30, 20, 10 FPS, and under. I posted my results some time last year.

However, the biggest takeaway is that as long as the game stays above 19 FPS (20 and over) and nothing but 19 FPS, there are no physics problems and it remains playable. I didn't notice any time slowing from the reduced FPS so it seems fine.

Only problem from super high or super low FPS not regarding vehicles is the speed of the forge monitor changes.

^ that's exactly what it felt like to play. I hard reset my console and it works (for now).dan

Sheesh man. You've got the context of that comment completely out of whack.

A little late on the reply, but it's seriously absurd. I don't want to move into the cloud because it's an expensive recurring cost, but damn... it might be the play until prices drop. Then again... folks moving the cloud is a contributing factor to why the prices are so high... so I'm just contributing to my own problem. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why are you talking about using "the cloud" when discussing RAM?

084.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

I saw this posted about the servers. Maybe that's what the update changed?

Why are you talking about using "the cloud" when discussing RAM?

084.png

I was initially talking about RAM prices within the context of machines I use to run servers/VMs. RAM is expensive, therefore in the short term it's cheaper to set up VPS in the cloud (AWS, Azure, etc.) instead of forking up cash for physical machines.  

VMs in the cloud are hosted on actual physical machines with physical RAM, so... context. :D

• Upvote (+1) 1

I saw this posted about the servers. Maybe that's what the update changed?

The update today was to reduce the file size by 10GB.

The update today was to reduce the file size by 10GB.

Another neat trick to save space in Halo 5, uninstalling. Saves all kinds of geebees. 

Hard drive manufactures hate that one little trick. 

• Upvote (+1) 7