CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I’m not even salty anymore. I’m indifferent, apathetic, which is probably worse. People who are salty at least still care about the franchise, still have passion for it. I’m past anger and depression. I’ve reached acceptance.

I'll stick with my 10X.  (PC MASTER RACE)

I constantly wrestle with turning my gaming rig into a dedicated linux box/server, it just doesn't get the use it deserves.  I got an Elgato HD60 Pro for streaming last year, and upgraded to a FX8350 for H5:F, I really should use it more.  My gaming time is so limited these days, there's tons of PC games I'd love to play, but I hate sucking at games and I don't have the time to get better at anything besides Halo, although that might be a bit of sunk cost fallacy.

and upgraded to a FX8350 

I don't think those should belong in the same sentence...

It was pretty good when it was released though and is relatively cheap.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't think those should belong in the same sentence...

It was pretty good when it was released though and is relatively cheap.

My build was from 2011, had a Phenom II X4 965 Black, was missing some of the instruction set required by H5:F.  It was a solid bump up (http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-vs-AMD-FX-8350), and like you said, cheap.  It's got 16gb of ram and an R9 270X, so while by no means a beast, it'll be a stable machine for a little while yet.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I used to just think h5 was a bad halo game. Then I took a long break, played other games and came back. Naw. Its just a bad game. Looks like crap. Plays like crap.

Clunckiest shooter ever.

• Upvote (+1) 4

My build was from 2011, had a Phenom II X4 965 Black, was missing some of the instruction set required by H5:F.  It was a solid bump up (http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-vs-AMD-FX-8350), and like you said, cheap.  It's got 16gb of ram and an R9 270X, so while by no means a beast, it'll be a stable machine for a little while yet.

Ah, I see. The 8350 won't bottleneck the 270X so it's great for a budget build. The issue with the FX series was their awfully low single core performance (due to low IPC).

At least you got the RAM last year, it literally rose 200% so far.

I had a prebuilt from 2011, but over time phased out every single component.

Y'all are some salty, negative, toxic people. Seriously. Did you people play Halo 2, 3, and Reach? 2 and 3 had shitty BR's that couldn't even register shots across Midship half of the time. Reach and it's bloom and Armor Abilities were a joke. 343i has given us multiple reliable guns, and they brought the tournament scene back after Halo Reach killed the scene. Y'all need to jump off the hater bandwagon.

Multiple reliable guns but the only one that requires actual aim is far from it.

I used to just think h5 was a bad halo game. Then I took a long break, played other games and came back. Naw. Its just a bad game. Looks like crap. Plays like crap.

Clunckiest shooter ever.

Fully agree with this. I used to think BO3 and Titanfall are clunky with all these pointless abilities, but holy hell do they feel wrong in Halo. It's not just their detrimental effects on maps design and the skill gap, they just feel so out of place and ruin the pace of combat. Turning Halo into a run OR gun shooter coupled with the addition of ADS has to be one of the worst decisions in Halo history.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Fully agree with this. I used to think BO3 and Titanfall are clunky with all these pointless abilities, but holy hell do they feel wrong in Halo. It's not just their detrimental effects on maps design and the skill gap, they just feel so out of place and ruin the pace of combat. Turning Halo into a run OR gun shooter coupled with the addition of ADS has to be one of the worst decisions in Halo history.

The scaling feels so strange. Played a game on truth and it felt like I was 3 foot 2.

The aiming is incredibly bad. Feels as though some sort of magnetic force is pushing you away from your target. The weapon handling feels clunky and unruly.

The pacing is strange. Shot registration feels odd. Even the hitmarkers just look off. Reminds me of a crappy indy game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

there's some weird crap going on since the weapon update...

my last shot stutters now; like it takes 2 trigger pulls to fire the weapon. At first I thought I was choking shots but it's happening so frequently now, I'm pretty sure its not me.

feels like someone has gone round all the maps and unscrewed floor panels, because I'm suddenly getting stuck on rivets and panel edges that must be a foot high for my Spartan to be tripping on them

Camo is way too OP; specifically, camo re-cloaks too quickly when the wearer is under fire.

(and, as always, bollocks to Spartan Charge)

Ah, I see. The 8350 won't bottleneck the 270X so it's great for a budget build. The issue with the FX series was their awfully low single core performance (due to low IPC).

At least you got the RAM last year, it literally rose 200% so far.

I had a prebuilt from 2011, but over time phased out every single component.

Seriously, fuck RAM prices right now. I'm about about to build a new PC (current one is ~4 years old or so) and I wanted 64GB of RAM because I run a lot of VMs, do development, etc... and jesus the prices are getting insane. 

Pretty off topic, but I had to vent. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Seriously, fuck RAM prices right now. I'm about about to build a new PC (current one is ~4 years old or so) and I wanted 64GB of RAM because I run a lot of VMs, do development, etc... and jesus the prices are getting insane. 

Apparently has to do with a shortage due to manufacturing transitions + phone production as well as illegal price fixing. Thanks Samsung, Hynix, Micron...

16 GB used to be under $100, now most kits are nearing $200 or above it.

Saul about that 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD yo. I still can't believe I paid that much for it and I filled it up so fast. 

64GB seems like a lot of RAM.

64GB seems like a lot of RAM.

It is, but it's an enthusiast build and I manage tons of virtual machines locally for a lot of my automation and development projects. That being said, with current RAM prices I'll likely stick with 32GB for now. 

Camo is way too OP; specifically, camo re-cloaks too quickly when the wearer is under fire.

The change to Camo was absolutely necessary since 1X players are going to be playing on true 1080p/4k depending on the monitor. It might actually be easier to spot camo post-patch on a 4k setup than pre-patch.

The change to Camo was absolutely necessary since 1X players are going to be playing on true 1080p/4k depending on the monitor. It might actually be easier to spot camo post-patch on a 4k setup than pre-patch.

So it begins

feels like someone has gone round all the maps and unscrewed floor panels, because I'm suddenly getting stuck on rivets and panel edges that must be a foot high for my Spartan to be tripping on them

That's how it always felt to me

+1

I paid 75$ for my Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB kit in July of 2016. 

Today? 

$117 on Amazon FOR A SINGLE GOD DAMN 8GB STICK.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Y'all are some salty, negative, toxic people. Seriously. Did you people play Halo 2, 3, and Reach? 2 and 3 had shitty BR's that couldn't even register shots across Midship half of the time. Reach and it's bloom and Armor Abilities were a joke. 343i has given us multiple reliable guns, and they brought the tournament scene back after Halo Reach killed the scene. Y'all need to jump off the hater bandwagon.

Fuck thats a small list of things to be grateful for. Even the fucking armour abilities thing is grasping at straws. We still got shitty armour abilities. They're called Sprint, Ground pound, Spartan charge and Thruster.

• Upvote (+1) 1