CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Delaying weapons 30sec/1min is more than enough time, as Hard Way said, for initial encounters and then some to take place. There's nothing I like less than ridiculous initial rushes where everyone is slide boosting towards the OS in the middle of Empire or Regret. It comes down to the most miniscule difference of frames and instantly spells death for the other player. I like letting the initial encounters play out the way they will, and then have weapons spawn in like they would at any other cycle.

As for the inherent imbalance in assym maps, youre right. If you look at my 2v2 map oblivion I actually tried to solve this, I have you and your teammate spawn on opposite corners of each other, as do the enemy. It allows for a way more interesting initial rush, you can choose to pinch either direction with your teammate and go for the enemy on your left or right. And of course they can do the same. Or you can just try to regroup with your teammate. It worked out really well and I wish more doubles maps would take that approach.

Haven't made a 4s map in a while but I imagine I'd put 2 initial spawns in one corner and 2 in the opposite corner for your teammates.

I absolutely adore that approach.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I absolutely adore that approach.

Thanks man. That's one of those things I was hoping to bring to the dev environment and make a standard. I wish I had better footage but if you skip to 5:50 you can see where the gameplay starts in the background and you'll see me quickly flip through the initial spawns. You can see how there's essentially two sets of duels at the start and one team even had pseudo midship style spawns (only shows for a second). Both pairs can choose to face off but I've also positioned them so they any of the 4 players can just as easily run to reposition if they don't want to duel immediately. You can even see someone try it.

https://youtu.be/gxslthAwnDg

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because this is just a general discussion thread and is somewhat relevant to Halo 5.

Has anyone else seen how bullshit SWBF2 is when it comes to the loot boxes? Remember 10 years ago when progression was earned in Halo 3, Modern Warfare, Battlefield. But now that shit is in fucking RNG loot boxes? Fucking REQ Packs, Star Wars Lootcrates, what the fuck is this industry coming to.

You cunts can have fun with that shit, I'm going back to 'Squad'

• Upvote (+1) 5

What do you think about a class of items that modify a player's base traits for the duration of his current life? Weaker than a power up but lasts until you die.

The categories I think could be modified are:

-gun

-grenade

-melee

-movement

-information

The idea is to give the player minor advantages without requiring any dedicated buttons. For example, Jump Boots could give the player a double jump because it would piggyback on the already used Jump button.

A Radar pick up would just enable radar on the player's HUD. No new button presses.

Jump Boots modify movement. Radar modifies information.

How would you modify gun, grenade, and melee?

Examples:

Melee - drastically increased knockback effect, can launch enemies off cliffs, send crates flying into enemies to splatter them, and flip certain vehicles

Grenade - drastically reduced cooldown between grenade throws

Gun - 3x magazine size

^ need to have a clean way to communicate trait adjustments to everyone else on the play field. Also, you don't want to complicate map design. You'd also want the items to be meaningful and worthwhile, or else your dealing with equipment-like clutter.

Jump boots could lead to access to unintended areas on map. how would you relay an enemies enchances melee abilities? How would you inform a player that they are engaging someone who is using a radar or an extended clip? Why would anyone actively pursue the grenade perk?

I think the powerup concept is much better for its simplicity and its impact.

^ The player model could be modified in some way to show what he has. A different colored arm for enhanced melee. A little antenna on his helmet for radar. A bandolier across his chest for gun.

But in reality, you never know everything about your opponent. How much ammo does he have? How many grenades? How much shields? Equipment had no visible tell. You couldn't even tell what secondary weapon a player was carrying until, what, Halo 3?

I appreciate the sentiment but I really don't think it's necessary to visually commicate every aspect of a player to all other players.

^ The player model could be modified in some way to show what he has. A different colored arm for enhanced melee. A little antenna on his helmet for radar. A bandolier across his chest for gun.

But in reality, you never know everything about your opponent. How much ammo does he have? How many grenades? How much shields? Equipment had no visible tell. You couldn't even tell what secondary weapon a player was carrying until, what, Halo 3?

I appreciate the sentiment but I really don't think it's necessary to visually commicate every aspect of a player to all other players.

It isn't necessary to communicate EVERY aspect of a player to all other players. But when even starts are a valuable component of the gameplay, it's important to communicate when a player is leveraging something that makes the fight uneven.

Equipment not having a tell is part of the reason it sucked. Letting players see secondary was an improvement on engagements. You don't know how much ammo or grenades someone has, but you know what they CAN have, and can make safe assumptions based on what you see them use. You DO know how much shield someone has by counting landed shots and looking at their shield flare.

No, you don't have to communitcate every single aspect- but you SHOULD communicate how much damage a player can potentially deal/take so that proper assessments can be made and so that skill and decision making dictate outcomes instead of random surprises.

PS, A little antenna on a players head doesn't help at all if a player is crouched behind a corner radar watching.

^If a little antenna doesn't help, then a secondary weapon model on the player's back doesn't help either. Neither are big, obvious signs of what he is holding. Should we mount the secondary weapon model to the front of the player instead? That would definitely make it more noticeable.

Additionally, if someone is around a corner, like you said, you can't see anything on their player model so this is all moot in regards to a radar holder.

What I would really like to hear is what you think could be modified on gun, grenade or melee traits, not this drawn out argument over what you think you should be able to see on a player model.

Not sure how a radar powerup is supposed to work, I'm assuming radar is off by default or we're using the ability radar in this scenario? In that case, the radar user could simply be shown as a ping on the enemy's radar (similar to how Promethean Vision would tell enemies they were being scanned)

As for guns and grenades: Higher RoF, faster switching, faster grenade throws, faster reloads, faster melees. The knockback is kind of cool, altough a bit too weak even for a semi-powerup. 

I'm not a fan of changing damage output or RRR / aim assist magnitude on guns. Extended mags is also kind of wack, I mean if I pick up the extended mag powerup does my rocket launcher suddenly have 4 rockets instead of two? What if I only had one in the chamber? 

^Radar is off by default and the pick up enables it.

The 3x magazine size pick up does not increase overall ammo count (so if you have 2+2 rockets you don't suddenly get 6, you just get to fire 4 without reloading). If you only had one rocket left you would still only have one Rocket left.

The melee knockback could even allow for the opening of new paths by allowing you to blast a crate blocking a doorway out of the way.

^If a little antenna doesn't help, then a secondary weapon model on the player's back doesn't help either. Neither are big, obvious signs of what he is holding. Should we mount the secondary weapon model to the front of the player instead? That would definitely make it more noticeable.

Additionally, if someone is around a corner, like you said, you can't see anything on their player model so this is all moot in regards to a radar holder.

What I would really like to hear is what you think could be modified on gun, grenade or melee traits, not this drawn out argument over what you think you should be able to see on a player model.

I don't think you are following me.

The whole point of radar is to get information on players without needing to have line-of-site. You need Line-of-site to see an antenna in on player's head. Once you have line of site, fact they have a radar is irrelevant because you can see exactly where each other are.

How is it compelling to walk into a room and encounter someone who knew you were coming because they had a radar? By the time you see the antenna on their head, the damage is already done.

Seeing a players secondary weapon is MUCH more beneficial, because you know exactly what they are bringing to the gunfight and can act accordingly. sniper rifles and rockets on players backs ARE big obvious indicators of what people are holding- I don't think it could be any more obvious really.

I personally don't think modifying these traits are a good idea, so it's hard for me to come up with examples. I think a 'haste' power up would be a be a better way of achieving some similar results. Just give a 30% boost in ROF for guns, and grenade/melee cool down. Everything still has the same damage traits, but the user could do more Damage per second. They could Borrow the tell from speed boost, because that powerup is dumb anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 3

^You think players would contest and fight for your haste power up in the same way they would OS or Camo? I doubt it. The pick ups I'm proposing aren't top tier power ups so they can be placed in non-Neutral areas that are less contested. Think of them like you would think of a Plasma Pistol; powerful but not something a full team would set up to grab.

• Downvote (-1) 1

^You think players would contest and fight for your haste power up in the same way they would OS or Camo? I doubt it. The pick ups I'm proposing aren't top tier power ups so they can be placed in non-Neutral areas that are less contested. Think of them like you would think of a Plasma Pistol; powerful but not something a full team would set up to grab.

I think people would contest haste, because it's contested in other games. I think it would be especially true if the utility weapon was better.

I don't see the value in these trait pickups if they aren't worthy of contesting. They'd just be convolution gunfights that players would prefer are straight forward. Maybe the knockback one would be cool...

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think people would contest haste, because it's contested in other games. I think it would be especially true if the utility weapon was better.

I don't see the value in these trait pickups if they aren't worthy of contesting. They'd just be convolution gunfights that players would prefer are straight forward. Maybe the knockback one would be cool...

The only problem I see with the melee knockback is launching your own teammate who is carrying a flag faster/further/over a gap he shouldn't be able to cross. But then again that could become part of the meta and make the item that much more contested.

I think Radar and Jump Boots would definitely be worth contesting.

I was really looking for input on how to modify gun and grenade where it's worth picking up but not so strong as to be overpowered or obnoxious. Maybe it should be one pick up that modifies both gun and grenade? Faster gun rate of fire and faster grenade throw cooldown like your haste power up?

Because this is just a general discussion thread and is somewhat relevant to Halo 5.

Has anyone else seen how bullshit SWBF2 is when it comes to the loot boxes? Remember 10 years ago when progression was earned in Halo 3, Modern Warfare, Battlefield. But now that shit is in fucking RNG loot boxes? Fucking REQ Packs, Star Wars Lootcrates, what the fuck is this industry coming to.

You cunts can have fun with that shit, I'm going back to 'Squad'

Lootbox microtransactions are getting more and more malicious everyday. I hope the ESRB and/or the government step in and start regulating this shit.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think you are following me.

The whole point of radar is to get information on players without needing to have line-of-site. You need Line-of-site to see an antenna in on player's head. Once you have line of site, fact they have a radar is irrelevant because you can see exactly where each other are.

How is it compelling to walk into a room and encounter someone who knew you were coming because they had a radar? By the time you see the antenna on their head, the damage is already done.

Seeing a players secondary weapon is MUCH more beneficial, because you know exactly what they are bringing to the gunfight and can act accordingly. sniper rifles and rockets on players backs ARE big obvious indicators of what people are holding- I don't think it could be any more obvious really.

I personally don't think modifying these traits are a good idea, so it's hard for me to come up with examples. I think a 'haste' power up would be a be a better way of achieving some similar results. Just give a 30% boost in ROF for guns, and grenade/melee cool down. Everything still has the same damage traits, but the user could do more Damage per second. They could Borrow the tell from speed boost, because that powerup is dumb anyway.

Instead of radar, you could just script a powerup that shows the location of the enemy team for a few seconds or until they die. Scripted waypoints show up on both players screens so there would be no confusion on which team is in control of the powerup, and it would help speed up stagnant Slayers or potential one-life modes.

Ehh, nothing much. What have you been doing since leaving 343?

Working on a new game and slowly building a studio. It's going to be a while before we announce stuff though.

The funny part about this is that "competitive" players would generally agree that this game is absolutely awful to play casually. A big part of the reason casuals think it's the sweatiest game ever made is that the combination of the absolute mess of Spartan Abilities, winding, cluttered maps, and poor weapon balance is just STRESSFUL as hell. Even playing against significantly worse players is a pain in the ass, because eventually even the biggest moron in the game is likely to get off a Spartan charge and knee cap you with their AR. There are few things more infuriating than getting into a fight with some dip-shit holding forward and spraying with an AR and knowing at a certain point that you absolutely are going to die because you missed one shot with your precision weapon. Why else would so many casual players think it has lightning fast "CoD" kill times? It's because everyone flies around the map with weapons that never miss.

​H5 has a truly awful balance of skill gap compression and delusions of being a hyper competitive arena shooter that manages to piss off both camps with half-baked appeals to the other at nearly all times.

The biggest part of this is the MM.

Fake social

Game starts. 4 champs. 3 onyx kids. You.

Turns off xbox

• Upvote (+1) 1

Working on a new game and slowly building a studio. It's going to be a while before we announce stuff though.

Is it a shooter?

When did that happen?

The exact moment 343 stopped communicating with this community.

• Upvote (+1) 3