CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

343 is going to do a bastardization of a Battle Royale game in Halo 6 that no one will play because everyone else will do it better. Calling it now.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

343 is going to do a bastardization of a Battle Royale game in Halo 6 that no one will play because everyone else will do it better. Calling it now.

Warzone Royale

Scavenge for weapons in abandoned Forerunner structures or do the thing that actually works and use REQ pack weapons.

What would you think of a gametype that had multiple objectives but none of them were tied to scoring? Slaying enemies is the only way to score but capturing objectives gives you other advantages.

There is a Neutral Flag that, when brought back to your base and captured, gives all proximate players a specific perk for the duration of the match.

There is a Hill Zone in each team's base with a 5 second capture period. The player who captures it can activate one of the map's built in defense mechanisms for a limited duration.

Killing an enemy causes him to drop a dollar bill. Players with enough money can purchase one of the power weapons located throughout the map.

Players can move a central objective back to their base.

Players can move from their base to map defenses.

Players can move to deceased enemies then towards power weapons.

That's four different player movement incentives, each with its own unique reward.

It is a combination of Neutral Flag, Hill, Assault, and Kill Confirmed but all with it's own special twist.

• Downvote (-1) 2

What would you think of a gametype that had multiple objectives but none of them were tied to scoring? Slaying enemies is the only way to score but capturing objectives gives you other advantages.

There is Neutral Flag that, when brought back to your base and captured, gives all proximate players a specific perk for the duration of the match.

There is a Hill Zone in each team's base with a 5 second capture period. The player who captures it can activate one of the map's built in defense mechanisms for a limited duration.

Killing an enemy causes him to drop a dollar bill. Players with enough money can purchase one of the power weapons located throughout the map.

That's four different player movement incentives, each with its own unique reward.

It is a combination of Neutral Flag, Hill, Assault, and Kill Confirmed but all with it's own special twist.

Holy shit man. No. That sounds like a total mess. Please read this posts that was just posted last page:

I do like the idea of optional side objectives that carry rewards for completing them.  I mean in essence that's exactly what pickups are.

I don't think I like those specific ideas though.

-A buff that lasts the entire match might as well be giving your team the victory.

-No automated map defenses, please.

-Rewarding the player with tons of kills a power weapon just creates snowballing.

I do like the idea of optional side objectives that carry rewards for completing them.  I mean in essence that's exactly what pickups are.

I don't think I like those specific ideas.

-A buff that lasts the entire match might as well be giving your team the victory.

-No automated map defenses, please.

-Rewarding the player with tons of kills a power weapon just creates snowballing.

-the buffs are minimal like a faster reload, not something the other team can't overcome

-not necessarily automated map defenses, maybe opening up a new route for the team

-the player had to move himself out of position multiple times to be able to gain the currency required to purchase the power weapon while he could have been positioning and killing the enemy better. He has paid the price for that power weapon by not killing the enemy more without it.

There is Neutral Flag that, when brought back to your base and captured, gives all proximate players a specific perk for the duration of the match.

Dominion.

You want a more complicated version of Dominion.

Dominion.

You want a more complicated version of Dominion.

Aside from giving players the ability to alter the map in small ways, what similarities do you see between what I proposed and dominion?

-the buffs are minimal like a faster reload, not something the other team can't overcome

-not necessarily automated map defenses, maybe opening up a new route for the team

-the player had to move himself out of position multiple times to be able to gain the currency required to purchase the power weapon while he could have been positioning and killing the enemy better. He has paid the price for that power weapon by not killing the enemy more without it.

I don't really like the idea of permanent buffs no matter how minimal.  It's not the end of the world but it's just worse design in every way relative to having time limited but strong buffs.  Both because the side objective is less appealing to contest in the moment, and because the enemy has that buff for the entire duration of the match with the other team having no way of securing the advantage for themselves.  With power weapons you might get decimated one push, but there's always the next push to decimate them back.  With this once the enemy captures the objective that's it, they're at an advantage forever.  Even if there are multiple capture opportunities at best all you can do is equally match their buff after they gain the initial advantage, and at worst they get yet another permanent advantage on-top of the one they already have instead of an advantage that is limited by time or by another resource (ammo).

I think I'd be fine with both teams being able to capture access to a map shortcut for a limited amount of time.  Though I'm also concerned that it could be too strong if the map possesses a ton of these shortcuts and the entire team can disappear off the playspace altogether for extended amounts of time.  It's something I'd need to see in practice, and possibly limited to only one person on the team depending on how strong it ends up being.**

Nah, not really buying that last point.  At it's absolute worse, it's an even trade, he gives up kills to make more kills later.  Usually it will be a straight advantage.  Otherwise there's no purpose in the system.

**.  I.e. the score is 49-47 and there's one minute on the clock.  Your team secures the objective and the entire team hides somewhere that the enemy literally can't access for a minute, running down the clock to win the game.  That would not be good.  You can see how proper design of the shortcut system is crucial here.

Aside from giving players the ability to alter the map in small ways, what similarities do you see between what I proposed and dominion?

The Neutral Flag idea has a similar concept to the middle bases in Dominion, but instead of getting traits when you bring it to your base, you essentially just have extra land that will give you weapons. Moving backward with a Flag instead of going forward to bunker down would slow down the pace.

The Hill Zone is almost exactly how Fortification works, but you press a button instead. In Dominion, your base is already prepped with weapons, vehicles and turrets just waiting for interaction. The startup would, again, slow the pace.

Killing players in Dominion grants you points for Ordnance. Dollar bills are tacky, and having to travel to a location to grant yourself Power after a certain amount of cash seems entirely un-intuitive and...you guessed it! It slows the pace. (Personal Ordnance was a stupid idea anyway.)

You've essentially made the effect of doing things in standard Dominion incredibly mundane, where players have to spend more time doing instead of going. In a game like Halo, going to an advantageous point or objective requires little effort in itself; simplicity. The real shit happens when you start combat, and opponents butt heads with each other. Having a player retrace steps or memorize how much "points" he has before he travels to collect something would ultimately make the whole thing feel like you're doing chores.

Next idea.

Slayer is clearly the most boring gametype at this point, and has been in any game after CE really. Some sort of secondary objective besides powerup and power weapon control would be neat, but I can't think of anything that isn't either pointless or completely broken. You give players perks for getting kills, it creates snowballing. You open up paths, but as we've learned before this also helps the enemy get close to you so it's not really an advantage. And why not just put another powerup or power weapon in the spot of this secondary objective? It becomes a huge headache.

What might work as inspiration: DOOM has this gametype called Soul Harvest, which is a cool twist on TDM: Like in kill confirmed, players drop souls on death that have to be collected. Killing a player as the demon grants two souls. Killing the demon grants four souls and of course the demon rune. The initial demon rune spawns where the first player is killed. Plus Doom also has powerups and PWs on map so it creates an interesting dynamic e.g. "hunt the demon or go for the next BFG spawn".  It's kind of chaotic and would probably not work as a competitive gametype, but it's ten times more interesting to play than any H5 Slayer variant.

@@Apoll0

That's an old post. I read it years ago but thanks for sharing.

Yeah no shit.

You should read it again and apply it to all your ideas. Heavily.

If all the crazy modifications you throw out you actually want halo to adopt, you're simply playing the wrong game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think Warzone would be better if kills didn't contribute to score at all, but there were multiple classic objectives in the field of play at all times. Variants of CTF, Oddball, assault, and of course boss kills would contribute to the score.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't really like the idea of permanent buffs no matter how minimal. It's not the end of the world but it's just worse design in every way relative to having time limited but strong buffs. Both because the side objective is less appealing to contest in the moment, and because the enemy has that buff for the entire duration of the match with the other team having no way of securing the advantage for themselves. With power weapons you might get decimated one push, but there's always the next push to decimate them back. With this once the enemy captures the objective that's it, they're at an advantage forever. Even if there are multiple capture opportunities at best all you can do is equally match their buff after they gain the initial advantage, and at worst they get yet another permanent advantage on-top of the one they already have instead of an advantage that is limited by time or by another resource (ammo).

I think I'd be fine with both teams being able to capture access to a map shortcut for a limited amount of time. Though I'm also concerned that it could be too strong if the map possesses a ton of these shortcuts and the entire team can disappear off the playspace altogether for extended amounts of time. It's something I'd need to see in practice, and possibly limited to only one person on the team depending on how strong it ends up being.**

Nah, not really buying that last point. At it's absolute worse, it's an even trade, he gives up kills to make more kills later. Usually it will be a straight advantage. Otherwise there's no purpose in the system.

**. I.e. the score is 49-47 and there's one minute on the clock. Your team secures the objective and the entire team hides somewhere that the enemy literally can't access for a minute, running down the clock to win the game. That would not be good. You can see how proper design of the shortcut system is crucial here.

The new paths wouldn't be somewhere you could hide in. On Midship, imagine a one way teleporter, that only your team can access, that takes you from your basement to P1. Just a little something to give your team some unexpected travel routes/faster travel times.

As for the permanent perks, players need to be on the capture point to gain them. So only the objective carrier would gain it unless his entire team simultaneously collapses back to the capture point. An entire team retreating to their base allows the other team to gain position uncontested. See how if one team gains perks the other team gains position?

Also, the perks could be the weakest on first capture to strongest on last capture so a team could bait the enemy team into capping first so they could pull a counter cap to gain the stronger second perk.

The new paths wouldn't be somewhere you could hide in. On Midship, imagine a one way teleporter, that only your team can access, that takes you from your basement to P1. Just a little something to give your team some unexpected travel routes/faster travel times.

As for the permanent perks, players need to be on the capture point to gain them. So only the objective carrier would gain it unless his entire team simultaneously collapses back to the capture point. An entire team retreating to their base allows the other team to gain position uncontested. See how if one team gains perks the other team gains position?

Also, the perks could be the weakest on first capture to strongest on last capture so a team could bait the enemy team into capping first so they could pull a counter cap to gain the stronger second perk.

Conduit v3

• Upvote (+1) 1

They're already so far in development for their hot, new hero shooter, though. Maybe Halo 6: Champions will have a Borezone: Battle Royale mode?

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They're already so far in development for their hot, new hero shooter, though. Maybe Halo 6: Champions will have a Borezone: Battle Royale mode?

Is it bad that I could tell who dropped that  -1 before I even checked?

• Upvote (+1) 1

What do you think about these perks being given in this order for Neutral Flag captures?

Increased weapon switch speed

Increased crouch walk speed

Increased melee knockback

Reduced movement speed penalty on support weapons/detached turrets

Reduced grenade throw cooldown

Increased reload speed

Reduced shield recharge delay

Reduced thruster recharge delay

The last four are obviously more powerful. Do you think teams would fight over the first four in order to gain access to the last four?

• Downvote (-1) 1

Slayer is clearly the most boring gametype at this point, and has been in any game after CE really. Some sort of secondary objective besides powerup and power weapon control would be neat, but I can't think of anything that isn't either pointless or completely broken.

I always liked the premise of Invasion Slayer from Reach in theory. You score points by getting kills, but in order to obtain certain power weapons, you have to control a hill for a certain amount of time. To apply this to standard 4v4 Halo it would have to be relatively fast to unlock the weapon and the weapon would have to be strong enough to offset the cost of sitting in the hill. So you would essentially lock the "Tier 1" power weapons like Rockets or Railgun (anything that a team more or less has to control in order to win) behind an objective.

Or you know, ditch slayer in competitive 4v4.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Invasion Slayer, aka let the humans cap it so it spawns a Rocket Launcher and Sniper instead of the garbage tier Focus Rifle and Plasma Launcher.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Or you know, ditch slayer in competitive 4v4.

Has it occurred to anyone that perhaps the reason Slayer doesn't work well is because of the lack of Power Weapons being in play?

Halo 2 only had Power Weapons respawn when they were dropped with no ammo or left alone. Halo 3, Reach, and THE 4 had agonizingly slow respawns for crucial weapons and Power-Ups. The only game that seemed like it was constantly speeding off is CE, because not only did you have fast killing guns, there was something always appearing.

What if Slayer had faster spawning weapons than the other gametypes? The main focus for Objective games is...well...the Objective. In Slayer, the Power Weapons are the Objective, and killing the other team fifty times is your Goal. Why not have weapons show up more often? Imagine if the Rockets and Sniper on Coliseum had their timers halved, along with their ammunition. Suddenly, the match speeds up because players are moving.

Give players the incentive to go, instead of not going. That's how you make Slayer work.

• Upvote (+1) 1

BR within the ODST universe would be dope af tbh

And I agree with slayer being removed

slayer should've been removed since h2

GoW, CoD, CSGO, Overwatch and R6S don'tt have slayer in competitive and shit is only enjoyable in arena shooters

So who knows a thing or two about forge lighting and how it works in this game (specifically on Depths)? I have a map that looks good (minimalist architecture, mostly just simple blocks) and is nice and easy on the eyes in basic forging, but once I hit "bake lights" or load it in a custom game the brightness goes completely out of whack and rapes my eyes. Turning off light bake for all objects has done nothing, and messing with fog/clouds only makes it worse.