CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Dang. I thought he said they're gonna try to add a version of party restrictions where if a team of four matches a non team of four, then the non team of four would be over at least 500 MMR higher than the team of four. This sounds like it might work but still hard to say. And I don't get why party restrictions wont work for H5. Halo 3 on xbox 360 still has it and it works with an even smaller population. It's not like it has to be in every playlist, just put it in the ones that would defiantly be able to support it. Like HCS and Doubles. If you can't get to Champ 1 solo Qing then the ranks mean nothing since you have to search 4s eventually. 

I mean that's better than nothing. But the main reason I want it is so that the value to a high rank would mean more. If you start matching hard matches every time you search 4s it will immediately weed out those who have been manipulating the system to play solo people while searching 4s, aka pretty much anyone in the top 20 champs. I'm sure some would stick around but some wouldn't.

Yeah, hard party restrictions are part of the search parameters for some playlists, but they don't stick around for very long.  They can't do that in Halo 5 because the population wont support it period.  I remember a few weeks (months?) ago they did it for a few days and search times exploded and honestly match quality actually got worse because it had to expand ranks so far to find full party's.

To make the weapon more versatile. Remember, I also think that the Sentinel Beam should damage vehicle occupants over time without damaging the vehicle itself, so you could choose between slowly killing the occupants or quickly destroying the entire vehicle. Give the player choices.

...I like it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

*snip*

Hit the melee button while in the air and you fast fall (unless you are actually meleeing someone). The bonus damage + AoE depends on the fall distance.

*snip*

I like everything I snipped except for this, the fact that we have secondary actions tied to melee in mid air has ruined ACTUAL melee timing in mid air, as the game has to wait and see whether you're ground pounding, or melee'ing.  You'd think after 3k games I'd be used to this, but I still mistime most of my mid air melees, because you need to mentally queue it up earlier than you would on the ground.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If there was only one utility weapon, instead of Magnum, BR, DMR, Carbine, Light Rifle, what other weapons should have a scope? Obviously the Sniper Rifle but aside from that I can't think of many. Does the Rocket Launcher really need a scope? I can see the argument for the Spartan Laser having one but even then I don't really think it is necessary.

How do you guys feel about scopes? Should they be a unique feature of just a few weapons or should every weapon be able to zoom in?

Sword has been needing a scope for a LONG time.  Sometimes I just don't understand how 343 doesn't fix these obvious issue. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

If there was only one utility weapon, instead of Magnum, BR, DMR, Carbine, Light Rifle, what other weapons should have a scope? Obviously the Sniper Rifle but aside from that I can't think of many. Does the Rocket Launcher really need a scope? I can see the argument for the Spartan Laser having one but even then I don't really think it is necessary.

How do you guys feel about scopes? Should they be a unique feature of just a few weapons or should every weapon be able to zoom in?

Halo used to handle this perfectly.  Precision weapons had scopes, nothing else did. I never saw a need to change that.

Halo's scopes were always unique to everything else.  Another example where 343 changed to something "more expected" for no fucking reason.  Classic zoom was better than what we have now.  Straight in/out zoom, not the right-to-left animation.  Nothing cluttering your screen when  you were scoped.  de-scope instead of flinch (at least this came back). No movement speed penalty.  only weapons that "deserved it" had scopes.  I think rockets having scope is fine, but i don't see the need for an RRR extension.  It just gets in the way with a weapon that you try to aim at the wall or ground near your target anyway.

The ADS (i refuse to call it "smart scope".  Lets call a duck a duck shall we?) in Halo 5 meets in the middle between Classic Halo and CoD.  It needs to go back to "fully halo"

• Upvote (+1) 4

Playing the H3 throwback playlist is just the strangest thing ...

(1) It's incredibly fun and has made me rethink my preference for H5's movement over previous Halos, it turns out I actually do prefer simpler gunplay without slide/thrust/clamber and five-level maps (Plaza) and insane movement.  I'm honestly finding it a bit difficult to enjoy standard H5 at this point.

(2) The maps are just objectively better than H5's maps, even with framerate issues; I forgot what it was like to have clear lines of sight and high-level teamwork

(3) I don't see myself playing another version of H3 again; all of my frustration in 2007-2010 with BR spread, weird movement, grid aiming, etc., is gone and I finally feel like when I lose, I deserved to lose, rather than just being annoyed with OG H3 bullshit (though BRs are a bit too powerful in H5)

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel there's little point in putting a scope on a weapon that will be literally unable to even take advantage of that scope. 

Unoriginal answer I know but it again is a case by case thing.

Slapping a slight zoom on the energy sword that changes it's lunge behavior...okay.  It's a bit silly, but I can understand it.

Slapping an ACOG on an SMG that can only hit targets which are ten feet away anyways...completely pointless, the gun will never be able to utilize it.

Besides the utility weapon and the Sniper Rifle, which weapon needs a scope the most?

Haha Fuck you alternate reality you can have your working MCC, we got Star Wars Battlefrton 2 OG Multiplayer back. No more game ranger required!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like everything I snipped except for this, the fact that we have secondary actions tied to melee in mid air has ruined ACTUAL melee timing in mid air, as the game has to wait and see whether you're ground pounding, or melee'ing. You'd think after 3k games I'd be used to this, but I still mistime most of my mid air melees, because you need to mentally queue it up earlier than you would on the ground.

I'll start with this-

Actually, there is no need for the delay now- they currently should simultaneously do a melee and start checking for a continuous hold once the button is pressed. If the player continues to hold, THEN do the ground pound.

Don't let 343s excuses convince you that there are reasons for their nonsense. There's no reason why they should check for an action that is performed rarely prior to executing the action that is almost always the reason the button is pressed. this- it's nonsense. I listened to the gdc talk where explain how they came up with the current implemention and i was dumbstruck. They chose to delay input response, and convinced themselves that this was best for accurately determining player intent-l

In my suggestion, there would be no need for a delay. As melee would occur 100% of the time if you were aimed at the target and in melee range... alternatively, the button previously reserved for sprint could handle this task. Alternatively, they could just not have any abilities at all.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The only weapon that needs a scope is the utility weapon and the Sniper. If a weapon like the Focus Rifle were to return, I'd give it a scope too. I don't mind it on Rockets, the Spartan Laser is a dumb weapon to begin with so I don't care if it has a zoom, it just shouldn't exist period. The Hydra kind of needs it, so did the plasma launcher. But other than that no weapon really needs a scope, let alone ADS bonuses.

Sword has been needing a scope for a LONG time.  Sometimes I just don't understand how 343 doesn't fix these obvious issue. 

I didn't know what true immersion feels like until I zoomed in with the Sword and then proceeded to lunge across the room destroying my enemy. I also love the zoom on the Shotgun, such an intuitive, unique and immersive addition to the Halo sandbox.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I STILL don't feel comfortable with the sword in H5. It's such an unintuitive mess of a weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I STILL don't feel comfortable with the sword in H5. It's such an unintuitive mess of a weapon.

I found that zooming in and as soon as the guy dies doing a quick YY to get out of the zoom and then quickly acquiring the next taget is the most efficient way to do it. And yes, Halo 5 movement is clunky and convoluted as is, but the H5 Sword is probably the most unintuitive and backwards gameplay element I've ever seen in a video game.

Did you guys know there is even ADS on the Ball/Bomb? It literally zooms in like 5% and all it does is remove your radar and allows you to use hover. Actually now that I think about it, it probably gives you more melee range or some stupid crap like that. I legit laughed my ass off when I first noticed it. When homogenizing the sandbox goes wrong, Jesus Christ.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I found that zooming in and as soon as the guy dies doing a quick YY to get out of the zoom and then quickly acquiring the next taget is the most efficient way to do it. And yes, Halo 5 movement is clunky and convoluted as is, but the H5 Sword is probably the most unintuitive and backwards gameplay element I've ever seen in a video game.

Did you guys know there is even ADS on the Ball/Bomb? It literally zooms in like 5% and all it does is remove your radar and allows you to use hover. Actually now that I think about it, it probably gives you more melee range or some stupid crap like that. I legit laughed my ass off when I first noticed it. When homogenizing the sandbox goes wrong, Jesus Christ.

Homogenization is for milk so unless 343 wants to start a dairy farm... 

Yeah, hard party restrictions are part of the search parameters for some playlists, but they don't stick around for very long.  They can't do that in Halo 5 because the population wont support it period.  I remember a few weeks (months?) ago they did it for a few days and search times exploded and honestly match quality actually got worse because it had to expand ranks so far to find full party's.

If Halo 5 can't support party restrictions because of population, how did Halo 3 when it's population was lower than what Halo 5's is? (I'm talking like 2012 Halo 3).

They are milking the franchise sooooo

It may have been low hanging fruit, but it was delicious nonetheless.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If Halo 5 can't support party restrictions because of population, how did Halo 3 when it's population was lower than what Halo 5's is? (I'm talking like 2012 Halo 3).

Honestly who knows. Maybe people just aren't willing to sit in a queue for Halo 5 and they instead back out and turn off their Xbox. Perhaps yet again something about MM is fucked up and the servers can't handle long wait times or something silly like that. They could even just be lying and they have something they internally decided was an unacceptable wait time and they refuse to go over that no matter what even if its fully capable of working.

I mean for all of the things I love about Menke he did just say you should never be able to achieve Champ 1 without a team even though their entire ranking system is based on giving you an individual ranking and not a team ranking, in a team game, with most games being played against solo queue players or people with a less than full team. If that isn't a sign of quite a lot of inconsistent applications of logic then I don't know what is. Who fucking knows what they're doing or thinking over there

• Upvote (+1) 3

They are milking the franchise sooooo

Goddamn that joke was right there and I failed to capitalize. Well done

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It may have been low hanging fruit, but it was delicious nonetheless.

Easy comedy is my specialty

Goddamn that joke was right there and I failed to capitalize. Well done

You set me, thanks for the assist have an upvote

• Upvote (+1) 1

I fail to see the problem?

Snipe Three explains it well here too.

Honestly who knows. Maybe people just aren't willing to sit in a queue for Halo 5 and they instead back out and turn off their Xbox. Perhaps yet again something about MM is fucked up and the servers can't handle long wait times or something silly like that. They could even just be lying and they have something they internally decided was an unacceptable wait time and they refuse to go over that no matter what even if its fully capable of working.

I mean for all of the things I love about Menke he did just say you should never be able to achieve Champ 1 without a team even though their entire ranking system is based on giving you an individual ranking and not a team ranking, in a team game, with most games being played against solo queue players or people with a less than full team. If that isn't a sign of quite a lot of inconsistent applications of logic then I don't know what is. Who fucking knows what they're doing or thinking over there

Well since I've got nothing better to do with my life now

JQr6UZg.png

@@Killmachine

what about all those AAA job offers?