CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Halo 5 has been out for 703 days. Still no party restrictions.

Menke tried hard party restrictions. He said it wouldn't work with h5, people kept bitching so they tried it anyway and it just made it worse.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. Sure.

2. This would matter if not for the fact that weapons are "balanced" around thrust. Half the time, you can't even peek a corner without getting melted.

3. Super slow shield recharge for no reason. Pointlessly slow movement. Gigantic radar. Mini-nuke nades that, like the rest of the sandbox, are balanced for thrust and not for novelty sized maps. Not much time to recharge your shields with mindless nade spam on a near constant basis and no way to avoid it at all.

4. Agreed, clamber is trash.

​5. And yet every map is filled to the brim with idiotic pick-ups and power weapons on fast timers, many of which are far worse without Spartan gimmicks.

​6. I would take map clutter over mostly bad H3 maps with obvious frame rate drops in ALL of them.

I guess people are just so desperate for an old school Halo experience that what is essentially the worst case scenario is exciting? I honestly don't get it. I would honestly rather play the HCS playlist. The only thing they did right here was turn off the Spartan Abilities.

Yeah man I get it, it's far from ideal. But as I previously stated, I also loved the CEA playlist in Reach, I guess I have pretty low standards when in comes to this stuff haha. I know radar is trash, the nades are OP; the frames drop like flies and no gun in this playlist takes any sort of skill to use. But I'm finally playing Halo 5 and not CoDFall:Advanced Space Warfare 5. I'd rather get 4skd by a trashcan than have him thrust around the corner and then getting spartan charged by his hand-holding teammate.

I've played this playlist exclusively for the last few days and today went into WZFF to relax before heading off. The experience was actually jarring. The Sprinting, Thrusting Sliding and Clamber just feel soo wrong, it's insane. No, I'm not saying HCS should use these settings (they should use Evolved lel), but I'd rather play this than HCS. As a purely casual experience this is the best thing Halo 5 has to offer by far.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah man I get it, it's far from ideal. But as I previously stated, I also loved the CEA playlist in Reach, I guess I have pretty low standards when in comes to this stuff haha. I know radar is trash, the nades are OP; the frames drop like flies and no gun in this playlist takes any sort of skill to use. But I'm finally playing Halo 5 and not CoDFall:Advanced Space Warfare 5. I'd rather get 4skd by a trashcan than have him thrust around the corner and then getting spartan charged by his hand-holding teammate.

I've played this playlist exclusively for the last few days and today went into WZFF to relax before heading off. The experience was actually jarring. The Sprinting, Thrusting Sliding and Clamber just feel soo wrong, it's insane. No, I'm not saying HCS should use these settings (they should use Evolved lel), but I'd rather play this than HCS. As a purely casual experience this is the best thing Halo 5 has to offer by far.

Yeah the first couple games in the playlist we're rough because I was so used to having SAs as a crutch but adjusted quickly.

I went back to play HCS for comparison and it was waaaay harder to re-adjust to using SAs again.

Kind of a strange experience.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's far from perfect, but it's the best we've had in a long time, and its popularity can send a message. Support this playlist.

Halo 5 has been out for 703 days. Still no party restrictions. 

There is a version of it, but you have to search on Focused and I don't think it works for JIP games. You won't match full parties of 8 or 4 for 300 seconds of searching, but you can match smaller parties. 

I think they're still pretty useless against any player with a brain and thumbs but hey, to each their own lol

Nah, they are actually pretty good. It depends on the map obviously but in rooms or the smaller maps they are pretty effective. You don't try to stick people with it generally, but instead, stick the wall with it. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Chill "kiddo".

Timing a crouch jump is not a big deal. You have to do that in CE and it becomes second nature quickly.

You make fast fall sound like the old H5 glitch. People want something with more sublety than that.

That RedBlueGIG just neg bombs anything. I honestly dont get what his deal is.

• Upvote (+1) 1

He negs me anytime I say anything remotely bad about Halo 3.

Though yeah, I agree with his point anyways.  Remove ground pound from the game, make it so hitting B at the top of your jump does a very fast straight downward strike with bonus damage / stun.  Kill two birds with one stone without getting in the way of crouch jumps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If there are parallel universes we got stuck in the universe where MCC didn't work are there are some dickheads in another universe who are enjoying an incredible MCC experience still to this day.

FUCK YOU ALTERNATE REALITIES!

• Upvote (+1) 9

Though yeah, I agree with his point anyways. Remove ground pound from the game, make it so hitting B at the top of your jump does a very fast straight downward strike with bonus damage / stun. Kill two birds with one stone without getting in the way of crouch jumps.

I've settled on a similar execution:

I'd be cool if Clamber was replaced with stabilize. And GP, was replaced with fast fall.

Hit the jump button while in the air- you hover. No need to zoom in. Getting shot knocks you down, just as it does now.

Hit the melee button while in the air and you fast fall (unless you are actually meleeing someone). The bonus damage + AoE depends on the fall distance.

Sprint would be gone. These two actions could be skillfully used as a "vertical strafe"

And if melees did more damage when falling there you go, you got yourself an actual skillful form of groundpound. 

Stabilize + Fast Fall + Momentus Melee.

Still need lunge-less melees. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's far from perfect, but it's the best we've had in a long time, and its popularity can send a message. Support this playlist.

This is weird for me. I want to support the playlist to send a message but at the same time I really just don't enjoy anything from 343. Including a shitty imitation. The reason I'm not playing their games is because they strayed away from a classic experience and I'm far more interested in products that are actually of some quality. There's no way they can know why I don't spend my time with their games unless I tell them or perhaps in this case spend my time trying to grind some trash so that they get the hint. Not that they're likely to care in either case. It honestly doesn't seem like its worth it. Hopefully 343 figures it out one day or at least everyone finds some other games to enjoy when they finally give up on Halo.

Somehow I also think they're likely to think this sorry excuse for Halo was an exceptionally well done job and that they don't need to try harder before they realize that the only reason people like it more is because of the classic feel despite its exceptionally large number of failings.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How would you guys feel about combining the Sentinel Beam and the Spartan Laser into one weapon that gets toggled between the two fire modes with the scope button? You choose between firing a big red laser that does damage over time or a big red laser that you charge up for a power attack.

How would you guys feel about combining the Sentinel Beam and the Spartan Laser into one weapon that gets toggled between the two fire modes with the scope button? You choose between firing a big red laser that does damage over time or a big red laser that you charge up for a power attack.

WHY

• Upvote (+1) 2

WHY

To make the weapon more versatile. Remember, I also think that the Sentinel Beam should damage vehicle occupants over time without damaging the vehicle itself, so you could choose between slowly killing the occupants or quickly destroying the entire vehicle. Give the player choices.

Whoever worked on the spawns on the High Ground remake should just uninstall H5 and sell his Xbox. It's not just bad, it's asinine. The meta is literally "get rewarded for dying with a free kill because you are going to respawn behind an enemy 95% of times". Also, why isn't KOTH in this playlist? Would be really cool to play Pit KOTH again. Other than that, still enjoying the playlist. I'm not sure if playing this will actually send a message to 343, as they have show to have heavy selection bias regarding what feedback they listen to (remember we are the 11% boys). But even if it doesn't send a message for H6 and onward, it's would be nice to permanently have a playlist that doesn't suck complete balls.

Not a fan of this combination, but why not merge the Sentinel Beam and the Focus Rifle from Reach? Give it the 4x and 8x zoom, it becomes a skillful auto that rewards accurate tracking and is effective at every range.

Whoever worked on the spawns on the High Ground remake should just uninstall H5 and sell his Xbox. It's not just bad, it's asinine. The meta is literally "get rewarded for dying with a free kill because you are going to respawn behind an enemy 95% of times". Also, why isn't KOTH in this playlist? Would be really cool to play Pit KOTH again. Other than that, still enjoying the playlist. I'm not sure if playing this will actually send a message to 343, as they have show to have heavy selection bias regarding what feedback they listen to (remember we are the 11% boys). But even if it doesn't send a message for H6 and onward, it's would be nice to permanently have a playlist that doesn't suck complete balls.

Snowbound spawns are super bad too. I got killed at one of the back doors of the base by 2 guys inside, then respawned at the sniper spawn inside that base.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not a huge fan of tying it to scope because what if I need to destroy a vehicle at long range, or what if one is closing in on me but I'm forced to awkwardly scope in?

I think there's two other possible ways to merge those weapons:

-Have the charge up laser consume ammo and deal damage as well as the much more powerful final burst.

-Have the final burst be a somewhat continuous, extremely high damage beam that lasts for a second or two instead of being a single shot.

I played with something similar to the last one on an old CMT map for Halo Custom Edition.  Was pretty fun, could push over vehicles and melt multiple infantry if you reacted fast enough.

I'm not a huge fan of tying it to scope because what if I need to destroy a vehicle at long range, or what if one is closing in on me but I'm forced to awkwardly scope in?

I think there's two other possible ways to merge those weapons:

-Have the charge up laser consume ammo and deal damage as well as the much more powerful final burst.

-Have the final burst be a somewhat continuous, extremely high damage beam that lasts for a second or two instead of being a single shot.

I played with something similar to the last one on an old CMT map for Halo Custom Edition. Was pretty fun, could push over vehicles and melt multiple infantry if you reacted fast enough.

I think a better way to implement an automatic weapon that deals more damage the longer it is fired is to have the rate of fire increase the longer the trigger is held down. This way there is a risk to running out of shots/overheating the longer the trigger is held down but there is also the reward of increased damage per second. I guess that's pretty similar to what you suggested but I was think a projectile weapon instead of hitscan.

I also think that the push mechanic would fit better on another weapon besides the Sentinel Beam. It's a laser. Lasers heat stuff. That why heating up a vehicle makes more sense to me. Pushing should be given to another weapon in my opinion.

Yeah the first couple games in the playlist we're rough because I was so used to having SAs as a crutch but adjusted quickly.

I went back to play HCS for comparison and it was waaaay harder to re-adjust to using SAs again.

Kind of a strange experience.

Ha, i had the same thing. I havent played h5 in weeks, and went to the h3 playlist, and aside from pressing thrust the first few times, i adjusted quick.

Then i played hcs, it was way harder to go back. I forgot i could sprint, i forgot about thhrust for a while. Even had to remember thrust sliding.

I just wish they didnt waste our time with shit maps like snowbound

• Upvote (+1) 3

Though yeah, I agree with his point anyways.  Remove ground pound from the game, make it so hitting B at the top of your jump does a very fast straight downward strike with bonus damage / stun.  Kill two birds with one stone without getting in the way of crouch jumps.

A drop kick attack. A new animation for airbone melee in general would be cool because the 'gun lunge' thing is kinda glaring at this point. This basically wouldn't change the gameplay, either. Just a fundamental quality increase to the game. Maybe using melee weapons during thrust makes them behave differently, like for instance the energy sword would fly through an opponent instead of stopping, and this can take out multiple people in a straight line. The gravity hammer does a jumping slam that has larger radius but has some recovery and leaves your back exposed.

I'm patenting all this by the way.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Menke tried hard party restrictions. He said it wouldn't work with h5, people kept bitching so they tried it anyway and it just made it worse.

Dang. I thought he said they're gonna try to add a version of party restrictions where if a team of four matches a non team of four, then the non team of four would be over at least 500 MMR higher than the team of four. This sounds like it might work but still hard to say. And I don't get why party restrictions wont work for H5. Halo 3 on xbox 360 still has it and it works with an even smaller population. It's not like it has to be in every playlist, just put it in the ones that would defiantly be able to support it. Like HCS and Doubles. If you can't get to Champ 1 solo Qing then the ranks mean nothing since you have to search 4s eventually. 

There is a version of it, but you have to search on Focused and I don't think it works for JIP games. You won't match full parties of 8 or 4 for 300 seconds of searching, but you can match smaller parties. 

I mean that's better than nothing. But the main reason I want it is so that the value to a high rank would mean more. If you start matching hard matches every time you search 4s it will immediately weed out those who have been manipulating the system to play solo people while searching 4s, aka pretty much anyone in the top 20 champs. I'm sure some would stick around but some wouldn't.