CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Hopefully we can now get maps that promote movement. The majority of H5 maps give you the feeling that movement is a bad choice.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I would love an extremely customizable custom power up but your suggested approach is akin to saying "don't ship the game with any maps, just give the community a robust forge mode". There are things that the developers can do that the community can't. Amplified weapon variants would be precisely one of those things. I want things that are more interesting than modifying rate of fire and clip size, things that need to be specifically developed for, things the community can't do.

Ok like what?  The only thing you have asked for that can't be set "on a slider" or be forgeable are things equivalent to designing completely new weapons that are only available when someone uses a power up that modified the original weapon.  Thats a waste of development time.  Create a core set of weapons and get them right.     Most traits can be set to be variable or database dependent and not hard coded.  things like fire rate, damage, reload speed, projectile speed, projectile type, player movement, jump height, damage resistance etc etc etc can all be set that way.  The only thing that a dev is forced to create that a user can't are basically the weapon models themselves.

A huge chunk of time would be eaten if you design a power up that does a specific, niche thing and test it and balance it properly.  Especially this particular piece you are asking for since you are basically doubling the scope of work for weapon creation.  And if it sucks you ultimately created something shitty that sacrificed other things.  a la Breakout.  And you are also guaranteed to miss interesting use cases that forgers would want to modify it for.  Making a custom power up with tons of options gives players more choice and is a better use of development time.

Titanfalls amped weapons are just flat damage boosts right?

Yeah

Hopefully we can now get maps that promote movement. The majority of H5 maps give you the feeling that movement is a bad choice.

Part of that’s because movement is inherently punished by the game. The long corridors encourage you to sprint and slide, but doing that is punished if you take any damage. The cooldown of thrust encourages you to take advantage of it to the fullest, but by the same token punishes you if you actually encounter an enemy after having used it for movement. And not being able to shoot during some movement abilities does’t help, either.

Good map design can help, but the constant tradeoffs with movement abilities have a significant negative effect. When so much of a map designer’s power to decide how a map should play is taken away, it takes a lot more effort and creativity to make it work.

• Upvote (+1) 5

accidental downvote, team beyond mobile shifts around a lot when ads are loading
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Okay @@Hard Way @@Boyo here are my thoughts about this powerup:

IMO powerups should stay in line with Halo's core philosophy, namely "easy to learn, hard to master" and the simplicity it once had.

Camo and OS do this very well, but a powerup that gives every weapon a different kind of boost comes off as kind of convoluted.

Finding a way to give each weapon a boost without either breaking the sandbox (one hit kill Sniper Rifles) or being totally worthless (Halo Online's weapon variants, most warzone loadout variants) is tricky. I would love to be proven wrong, so please post your ideas.

Also @@Boyo you mention Plasma Stun, but I think that should be part of the base Plasma Rifle and not require a powerup to be "unlocked". Same goes for stuff like homing projectiles on the Needler or Plasma Pistol OC. Don't go the 343 route and take stuff away to add it back as a "featured" like they did with H4's perks.

Not saying this powerup is a terrible idea, I just don't see how exactly this would work.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Completely unrelated to anything whatsoever but I really want Bungie to remake Marathon.

Ever since Star Wars: Battlefront (2015), I've lost most if not all desire to request "sequels" to the FPS games of that populated my youth. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Say a Halo game launched with 8 arena maps. How would you feel about each map having its own unique power up that influenced gameplay in its own special way? Is that too many items for a player to learn or would it be easy because players would associate the map with that map's power up?

I don't know if there are eight viable power ups but I was just thinking that if the power ups were designed first, the map could be tailored to showcase the advantages of its unique power up.

I'm normally an advocate of a relatively small sandbox but I think map specific power ups could be a cool way to influence gameplay in different ways; give each map a unique experience, strategy, and overall style of gameplay.

As a simple example, say a map had areas that were on fire, the power up could make you immune to fire, allowing you to move through spaces that other players can't.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Obviously you should try to minimize complexity as much as you can, but I think it's okay for games to have a high amount of complexity *IF* it adds a much higher amount of depth and isn't entirely necessary to all know at once just for someone to be able to start playing.

Very niche powerups that only apply to one aspect of the specific map in question's design wouldn't really fit that statement.  If the powerups aren't going to be spread across the entire game then don't bother.  I'm not saying every map needs every powerup, but they should at the very least appear on more than one map in the game.

give each map a unique experience, strategy, and overall style of gameplay.

This goal can be achieved without having to require players to understand so many game mechanics. Think about the large difference in gameplay each map in a halo 1 2v2 series offers. Unique map layouts and properly positioned powerups can go very far towards creating variety.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think it's okay for games to have a high amount of complexity *IF* it adds a much higher amount of depth and isn't entirely necessary to all know at once just for someone to be able to start playing.

Very niche powerups that only apply to one aspect of the specific map in question's design wouldn't really fit that statement.  If the powerups aren't going to be spread across the entire game then don't bother.

I was thinking of power ups that increase the player's movement options.

Go over - double jump power up with corresponding ground cover that normal players can't get over

Go under - mini Spartan power up with corresponding doggy doors that normal players can't fit through

Go around - speedboost power up that allows the user to quickly outflank his opponents

Go through - fire immunity power up that allows the user to move through areas that other players cannot

I guess one thing I have to wonder is this:  advanced map traversal is useful, but is it useful enough in itself for players to fight over it?  I think the first three powerups on that list offer combat advantages that make them more appealing (I won't speak about the actual balance of those advantages at the moment), but the last one seems rather specific and pointless in general.

Aside from flame weapons it has no combat applications, and I can't think of many situations where blocking someome through a firewall couldn't be done in other ways.  You could turn it into an abyss that has to be double jumped over.  You could put a wall with a mousehole there.  You could even make it so the fire doesn't damage players if they speed through it fast enough.

I.e. if you can eliminate complexity by having another similar powerup perform a similar function, you should do so.

Every single time they try to add "new, cool, fresh" shit, especially stuff that changes base traits, the game gets worse. Significantly worse.  

Every. Single. Fucking. Time.

STOP.

You know what the best game would be?  Take Halo 3, increase FoV to like 90, make the random spread on weapons be non-random, starting weapon a 4sk mag, replace grid-aiming with real-aiming and ship it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Every single time they try to add "new, cool, fresh" shit, especially stuff that changes base traits, the game gets worse. Significantly worse.  

Every. Single. Fucking. Time.

STOP.

You know what the best game would be?  Take Halo 3, increase FoV to like 90, make the random spread on weapons be non-random, starting weapon a 4sk mag, replace grid-aiming with real-aiming and ship it.

Why don't you like the Speedboost power up?

I guess one thing I have to wonder is this:  advanced map traversal is useful, but is it useful enough in itself for players to fight over it?  I think the first three powerups on that list offer combat advantages that make them more appealing (I won't speak about the actual balance of those advantages at the moment), but the last one seems rather specific and pointless in general.

Aside from flame weapons it has no combat applications, and I can't think of many situations where blocking someome through a firewall couldn't be done in other ways.  You could turn it into an abyss that has to be double jumped over.  You could put a wall with a mousehole there.  You could even make it so the fire doesn't damage players if they speed through it fast enough.

I.e. if you can eliminate complexity by having another similar powerup perform a similar function, you should do so.

Perhaps in the same way that the Plasma Pistol counters the Overshield, a weapon countering a power up, the "Inferno" power up could be the counter the Flamethrower power weapon on this specific map, a power up countering a power weapon.

giphy.gif

They put the sticks on backwards. THEY PUT THE STICKS IN BACKWARDS

Well Duh. Nobody wants to aim with that fucking dumb knob anymore. it shouldn't even be in there either side. neither should that useless Screen thats going make everything more expensive for no reason

• Downvote (-1) 1

Completely unrelated to anything whatsoever but I really want Bungie to remake Marathon.

no, you don't

• Downvote (-1) 4

I want Bungie to go completely left field after Destiny and Marathon is another space-opera FPS. I want something fresh from them.

I want Bungie to go completely left field after Destiny and Marathon is another space-opera FPS. I want something fresh from them.

I want Microsoft to give Halo back to Bungie and task them to make an original formula Halo game.

I want Microsoft to give Halo back to Bungie and task them to make an original formula Halo game.

That doesn't make sense because what you want is what Bungie doesn't want. Yeah 343 has not treated this series well but don't let distract you that Bungie was making Halo less-Halo with every iteration. Bungie made it crystal clear with fans that they don't want to make a classic Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Bungie left ms because they didn't want to make halo anymore

• Upvote (+1) 3