CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

There could be a power up that decreases the size of the player. A player who is standing up with this power up active would be shorter than a normal player crouching. It could allow him to run through tiny holes in the map as well as making him harder to hit.

Are you watching Ant Man right now?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Are you watching Ant Man right now?

No. I thought about old games that use switches to open new paths so I thought about Super Mario Bros 3 and Warp Tubes that were topped with solid blocks and using the P Switch to turn those blocks into coins. Activate switch to open new path.

Then I thought about how little Mario could go places that big Mario couldn't. Then I applied that concept to Halo.

How do you feel about the general idea of players modifying the map? Instead of kool aide manning through the vent with shoulder charge, how would you handle players opening new paths? Should it be tied to a base trait like melee or a specific weapon with map altering properties? Should it be a limited duration power up that gives you the ability or a key that you keep until you die?

It really depends on what specifically you're talking about.  Some forms of map modification are okay even in a multiplayer environment, some are not.

In the case of the destructible entryways it's like...what's the point?  If all they take is a melee to open then you might as well just leave them as already opened paths to begin with because the player is already exerting almost zero effort to open them.  If they required a tool that you had to acquire elsewhere they would at the very least provide some meaningful addition to gameplay, otherwise it's just entirely cosmetic.  I.e. the glass windows on Prisoner look pretty and are fun to destroy, but you could just as easily leave them out of the map without making any difference.

Say for example there's a room in the campaign that houses an overshield but you have to fire two rockets at the wall to actually destroy it.  You would have to first acquire the rockets, and then decide whether they're worth expending or not. It provides something meaningful to the level. Now take that same room and make it so you only have to spartan charge the wall.  Everyone is going to spartan charge the wall no matter what, and it takes no effort to do so, so you might as well leave the room open to begin with, thus defeating the entire point.

Also coincidentally I immediately thought of the tiny mushroom powerup in New Super Mario Bros when you mentioned shrinking down.

"Ok guys, how bout a power up that turns you into the smoke monster. When you kill people as the smoke monster, they do't really die, they go to purgatory, and when the game finishes, they are left with all kinds of unfulfilled aspirations, and they don't really know how they got there."

- Boyo probably

• Upvote (+1) 8

Einstein never would have said that, especially with all of the weird experimental stuff surrounding the issue with particle-wave duality of light at the time. 

Here's a quote that is properly attributed to the right person:

RDMl0so.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

Posted in the HCS thread but ill put it here too. You're talking to 343s newest level designer! Hoping to make some stellar stuff for our favorite franchise

Is this real life

• Upvote (+1) 1

Posted in the HCS thread but ill put it here too. You're talking to 343s newest level designer! Hoping to make some stellar stuff for our favorite franchise

BOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Wait what.

I thought 343 said you didn't have enough experience. So you went to Treyarch instead. Now you finally at 343?

I swear to fuck if we find out you are responsible for Overgrowth v2 in Halo 6......

edit: Oh shit that means you are a 343 employee now. I better watch what I make you say or else we'll have a /r/CodCompetitive fiasco again. Do I get a special shoutout for being the first guy to cause you to generate drama inside a gaming community as a developer? Would you buy me Halo 6?

Bruh.

Bruh.

Make us proud mah man.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So H6 is confirmed to have:

• Split Screen
  • LAN
  • Campaign that focuses on Master Chief and not "generic boi" Locke
  • At least a handful of really amazing maps (assuming MultiLockOn gets to design his own maps and the dude that worked on Overgrowth cannot influence those)

With Kevin Franklin gone I also expect H6 to not have any completely stupid gamemodes like Infinity Slayer or Breakout. I haven't been this optimistic about Halo since MCC was announced.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm willing to credit this latest update nonsense to a new dedicated h5 support team and not the main developer team.

However....I'm not exactly filled with confidence in 343s ability to make h6 better.

A glimmer of hope?  Or the day Multi stopped posting?  

Haha jk.  Congrats man.  Looking forward to seeing your ideas put into H6. 

I haven't been this optimistic about Halo since MCC was announced.

I was getting optimistic too while reading your post, then you said this and it all went away.  :/

Jokes on you, you can only design maps in forge with massive frame drops. This was just to quite you down :kappa:

Jokes on you, you can only design maps in forge with massive frame drops. This was just to quite you down :kappa:

Ya know, none of my maps had performance issues until after the several forge updates and then they all tanked. Not my fault forge performance got worse.

Ya know, none of my maps had performance issues until after the several forge updates and then they all tanked. Not my fault forge performance got worse.

Do you know if you'll have enough creative freedom to design your maps without much interference from the developers (besides art style perhaps)? We don't need another situation like Treyarch.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I was getting optimistic too while reading your post, then you said this and it all went away.  :/

Yeah I should proabably get back to earth, this is still the company that managed to make a collection consisting of nothing but remade games into a non-function mess. I wish Multi the best, but even if his maps blow the entire industry away, it won't mean anything if 343 as a whole doesn't step it up as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel you. But that won't stop 343 from making you deign the maps that ship with the game made from forge you know.

Now I have to think of all the things I want to say to you before the 343 black bag descends upon you

• Upvote (+1) 1