CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Inb4 they nerf every weapon.

That would honestly be a good thing for the magnum lol. It's gotten to the point where the only things any forgers put on their maps are sentinel beams and damage boosts. Everything else is annoying. The entire weapon sandbox needs a blanket auto aim nerf.

That would honestly be a good thing for the magnum lol. It's gotten to the point where the only things any forgers put on their maps are sentinel beams and damage boosts. Everything else is annoying. The entire weapon sandbox needs a blanket auto aim nerf.

>Just buff the Magnum

• Upvote (+1) 4

The people who play tons of Warzone are not the ones who keep the playlist afloat. Playtime whales are always part of a tiny minority.

I am not arguing that those types of players only play Warzone because they've been directed there. Im arguing that timmy two hours playtime a week is there because he's been directed there.

Perhaps you do not remember this but during H3 Bungie came out with a playlist called Big Team Mythic. At first it came out near the bottom of the social playlist list. It drew horrible population. So low in fact that Bungie had to remove it. There was a bit of a fan outcry on Bnet because really it was the only place you could get 8v8 games on Longshore. So they put it back in. The second time around they placed it near the top of the playlist list. It instantly became a top 5 most populated list. They literally changed nothing about the playlist other then where it sat in the list and it's population went up by over 10 times.

If you actually believe Warzone's population wasn't inflated due to having it's own main menu header, huge post game RP and EXP payouts, and being the only social playlist then you're lost.

Warzone does not pay for it's development cost. It's developmental opportunity cost was social and BTB. Warzone did not offset their loss. A game with actual social a BTB with cosmetic only MTs would draw in more money then the current system.

Seriously man, you do a lot of arguing against points I'm not making.

Of course header placement helps steer the population - this is ALWAYS true (as your anecdote points out) , and i imagine Warzone would have its own header in a sequel, even if there was dev btb/social. It is what it is...

Of course being the only social playlist playlists helped - but it isnt the only social playlist anymore. This is known.

People who invest most of their play time (and occasionally $) into warzone ARE the ones keeping the playlist afloat. Whether they play every day or two hours a week, the contribute to the playlists populating health.

2 years into the game, of the people who are still deciding to play halo, how many do you think still dont know what else there is to offer in this game? TimmyTwo hour has had 2 years to play other playlists and other games. If he's still around in warzone, he likes it. who cares about RP payouts in a game they dont like?

developer priorities and resource management cost BTB and social. With the added resources now provided by Warzone and the proven demand for dev BTB and social, it would be leaving money on the table to do anything other than allocate the resources to provide all of this going forward. Also there's nothing preventing cosmetic MTs with this approach.

Long story short - warzone turned a small population into a lot of money. If people are playing and spending in warzone 2 years after launch, they most likely enjoy the mode. To try to explain it all away as menu placement, a lack of options and rp hunting is an outstanding display of bias. Its ok to admit that a gamemode you don't like has willful participation.

The smart play is to create a package that can secure a larger playerbase (a good campaign, good simple mechanics, dev BTB and Social, good progression system, etc) AND have warzone. This doesnt prevent customization MTs. These concepts aren't mutually exclusive. Its just a matter of having the right resources in place - a fact that H5s reception should make clear.

• Upvote (+1) 1

R.I.P. any hope for a significant Sandbox overhaul. What a joke.

• Upvote (+1) 1

y'know what else fucks me off about this game...? When there are two opponents close(ish) together, you start shooting at one; they move closer to each other and your aimer gets dragged AWAY from the target you were shooting at and on to other one. Why?? Just... why. I'm am so close to deleting this game and waiting it out for Halo 6.

y'know what else fucks me off about this game...? When there are two opponents close(ish) together, you start shooting at one; they move closer to each other and your aimer gets dragged AWAY from the target you were shooting at and on to other one. Why?? Just... why. I'm am so close to deleting this game and waiting it out for Halo 6.

This isn't specific to halo though.  EVERY game with aim assist does this. its just markedly worse in Halo because the AA is so high for many of the weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly they need to stop adjusting bullet mag and aim assist values at close ranges rather than deciding on a cut off point and somewhat universal values on assistance. That's the only way you, for example, make the gun fighter magnum better at close range than a default pistol unless they plan on having it shoot much faster or deal more damage which I somewhat doubt. Its also why the DMR starts feeling so weird the closer someone gets to you as it is. I feel like this update is just going to end with weapons feeling wonky and the aim assist in this game being more fucked than it already is.

I'm convinced the massive and variable levels of aim assist are part of the reason why the aiming still feels wonky.  Some weapons are more sluggish than others when actually aiming at a target.

I fucking DIED the other day on coli when I had the DMR top snipe, 2 guys came up the blue snipe ramp, i start shooting at the first, see the second is no shields so i tried to switch to him real quick to headshot then go back to the first and COULDN'T GET MY RETICLE OFF THE FIRST GUY. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't know who's idea inconsistent aim assist and magnetism values between utility weapons was, LET ALONE DIFFERENT VALUES BETWEEN RANGES ON THE SAME WEAPONS but their idea of nuaced roles and advantages is wonkier than the leaning tower of fucking pisa.

The mechanical and functional role does not change in any significant way. They are all still utility weapons. Trying to apply meaningful naunce is a goal that is equal parts futile and unneccessary.

How often do a significant number of these weapons appear on any one map? How often would you want them to?

No matter how much naunce you add, how much you try to differentiate them, they will always, ALWAYS be utility precision rifles unless you reinvent them ala boltshot.

There is no need to focus on making these weapons significantly different. Picking any of them up will be less interesting or fun than getting a Pro Pipe, Concussion Rifle, Shotty, Snipe, Plasma Launcher, Sword, Focus Rifle etc.

The precision rifles can be used on thematicaly appropriate maps as pick ups, while role wise they are all as similar as possible.

Focus on making the major pick ups, the power weapons which are all mechanically unique and different from the spawn weapons different from one another and balanced so we can have a healthy number on each map.

• Upvote (+1) 2

A comprehensive ether of this terrible company, must watch.

So glad community members are being more vocal about how much harm 343i has done to our community and franchise while seemingly not giving a damn about the consumers who keep them employed.  Hopefully that will not be the case for much longer.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So I've heard some people complain that OS's green glow is stupid because it makes you a priority target to enemies. Then I hear other people complain that Equipment is stupid because you can't see what Equipment an enemy is holding by looking at their player model. Which is it? Should you be able to see everything an enemy has by looking at him or should you not be able to see what he has?

So I've heard some people complain that OS's green glow is stupid because it makes you a priority target to enemies. Then I hear other people complain that Equipment is stupid because you can't see what Equipment a player is holding by looking at their player model. Which is it? Should you be able to see everything an enemy has by looking at him or should you not be able to see what he has?

Equipment yes, in the same way you want to see a hammer on someone's back.

Os no because people like to run away. Ideally when you shot then THEN the shield flare would be green or something

So I've heard some people complain that OS's green glow is stupid because it makes you a priority target to enemies. Then I hear other people complain that Equipment is stupid because you can't see what Equipment an enemy is holding by looking at their player model. Which is it? Should you be able to see everything an enemy has by looking at him or should you not be able to see what he has?

I dont see any issue with the green glow other than the effect is goofy in h5.

Being a higher priority target isn't neccisarily a bad thing. ideally, I'll attract the enemy teams aggro and deal a bunch of damage, while my team pushes the objective/ flanks for kills.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I dont see any issue with the green glow other than the effect is goofy in h5.

Because giving an enemy accurate information on his opponent isn't good for gameplay.

Because giving an enemy accurate information on his opponent isn't good for gameplay.

Being a higher priority target isn't neccisarily a bad thing. ideally, I'll attract the enemy teams aggro and deal a bunch of damage, while my team pushes the objective/ flanks for kills.

In this case i dont feel like the information given is one sided in nature (like with grenade hit markers or power weapon icons) It's more akin knowing someone has a sniper rifle because you see the sniper rifle.

There are some critical bits of information that needs to be telegraphed in order for the game to flow properly, imo. Knowing how much damage it will take to kill your opponent is one of them. Shield flare provides this generally - and the OS glow, imo, is nothing more that any extension of that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The green glow of OS is fine.  How you engage a player with OS as well as how the OS player engages knowing that there is a tell is part of it.

If there was no tell on OS it would be IMPOSSIBLE to track in 4v4 halo.  The OS player could also just be stupid aggro.  You should still have to use your brain with it.

I'm fine with there not being a tell about how much OS is left on a player.  Your team should be able to communicate how many shots they put into him.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ideally, yes, you want to convey information visually as much as possible, but context is important. There's a key difference between items that you can carry on your person at all times, versus a power up with a limited window of effectiveness.

Personally, I don't agree with hiding OS at all. I don't think there is any tangible gameplay benefit to do so.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ideally, yes, you want to convey information visually as much as possible, but context is important. There's a key difference between items that you can carry on your person at all times, versus a power up with a limited window of effectiveness.

Personally, I don't agree with hiding OS at all. I don't think there is any tangible gameplay benefit to do so.

When is it OK to hide information from an opponent?

When is it OK to hide information from an opponent?

Lack of audio cues for general movement is a good example.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Lack of audio cues for general movement is a good example.

Footsteps, jumping, crouching. What else?

The only thing about Halo that is worse than 343 are my teammates.

Footsteps, jumping, crouching. What else?

It's difficult to think of many "good" examples of purposely hiding information from the player because it almost always leads to frustrating gameplay experiences. The closest thing I can think of is, camo maybe? But even it has a visual tell.