CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

No playlist in h3 took up anywhere near the dev time and resources warzone did.

Thats true, but mlg playlists weren't bringing in millions of extra revenue - justifying the aquisition of extra resources.

But really my point was about playlist populations. People actually like it. It would surely have a population, even with more social options.

Social always draws the overwhelming lion's share of the population. Warzone was the only social offering in h5. Add increased exp, rp and the entire player inventive system being geared towards it and you're going too see population flow there.

Yes, social has always drawn the lions share of the population and Warzone was the only social experience. But lets talk about the incentives - the most efficient way to earn RP was queuing arena playlists - specifically SWAT. XP is useless. There's no reason to play Warzone, unless you like it. The system being "geared" towards Warzone (which i assume you are referring to many items being only used in warzone) is irrelevant to someone who doesn't want to play the mode.

The big question is did rerouting the population through warzone drive the overall population down. I believe it did.

This isn't the question at all. The population went down because 1) the campaign sucked 2) the aiming is trash 3) there's no local multiplayer or splitscreen 4) it's missing a ton of classic gamertypes 5) the matchmaking and CSR presentation is poor 6) the customization system was tied to RNG (not necessary, even with Warzone) 7) the progression system, Spartan Rank, was not rewarding (also not necessary , even with Warzone) 8) the movement tech and controls are uninviting ... i could go on

There's no way Warzone could counteract all that, even if it was the best gamemode ever. It's not the "rerouting" that killed the population. Its the total lack of quality around the entirety of the experience.

If warzone was an added component to an otherwise good, complete game, Warzone and the game in general would have maintained healthy populations. Sure warzone wouldn't be seeing the lionshare of the playtime - but it wouldn't be insignificant either.

This isn't the question at all. The population went down because 1) the campaign sucked 2) the aiming is trash 3) there's no local multiplayer or splitscreen 4) it's missing a ton of classic gamertypes 5) the matchmaking and CSR presentation is poor 6) the customization system was tied to RNG (not necessary, even with Warzone) 7) the progression system, Spartan Rank, was not rewarding (also not necessary , even with Warzone) 8) the movement tech and controls are uninviting ... i could go on

There's no way Warzone could counteract all that, even if it was the best gamemode ever. It's not the "rerouting" that killed the population. Its the total lack of quality around the entirety of the experience.

If warzone was an added component to an otherwise good, complete game, Warzone and the game in general would have maintained healthy populations. Sure warzone wouldn't be seeing the lionshare of the playtime - but it wouldn't be insignificant either.

I think one important point is that at least half the items you get in REQ packs are absolutely useless unless you play WZ. They don't allow us to use weapon skins in Arena, unless it's a starting weapon. The REQ power weapons can only be used in WZ or later on Forge and Super Fiesta (ugh).

It's also delusional to think 343 can deliver a good Campaign, Arena, BTB, Firefight, Forge and Warzone experience. They have shown time and time again that resource management is something they are god awful at. Yeah, you can blame it on 343 and say WZ has nothing to do with, theoretically you are right. But does that even matter in the final product? The more fat we trim and get 343 to focus on the core functionality again (hello garbage H5 servers and MM) the better.

WZ might bring in cash, but so does selling more than 5 million games. Cutting Forge, 70% of the expected Halo gametypes, BTB and Firefight from launch ruined H5. Instead we get Breakout, a ******** squad-mechanic in Campaign, Warzone and hundreds of REQ items. And to this day we can't even aim properly and the sandbox will likely never be fixed at pace the these updates are coming and how insignificant they are. 343 is the perfect example of a dev that does not know how to handle resources.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Thats true, but mlg playlists weren't bringing in millions of extra revenue - justifying the aquisition of extra resources.

But really my point was about playlist populations. People actually like it. It would surely have a population, even with more social options.

Yes, social has always drawn the lions share of the population and Warzone was the only social experience. But lets talk about the incentives - the most efficient way to earn RP was queuing arena playlists - specifically SWAT. XP is useless. There's no reason to play Warzone, unless you like it. The system being "geared" towards Warzone (which i assume you are referring to many items being only used in warzone) is irrelevant to someone who doesn't want to play the mode.

1. You think the average player is doing the math to figure to per minute payouts? No. They just see the big payout at the end of warzone.

2. You're making assumptions. Anecdotally speaking warzone was amongst the top reasons people I knew quit h5. Obviously anecdotal evidence needs to be taken with a grain of salt but it already shows that it's a possible reason.

If someone finds arena too sweaty due to it having no social then warzone is the only option. If that person doesn't like warzone or grows tired of it, That's it. They're probably done with h5.

On paper that person could have 90% of his playtime in warzone. If you just take that at face value and don't critically analyze it you'd think that person loved warzone. In actuality it was just the lesser of two evils. When your choice is between two unenjoyable options, you probably just give up the game entitely. Which is what most people did.

Do you really think warzone was enough to keep the majority of the halo playerbase happy on it's own?

Come on man. You're showing 343 levels of ignorance here. You don't remember the collective facepalm we all had when 343 talked about how well done h4 btb was because it had the highest population. No shit it had the highest population. They butchered 4v4.

It's the same thing with warzone. When you cut out social and btb people flowing to warzone doesn't automatically mean they love warzone.

If I design a carnival whose main attraction draws most of the crowds but almost nobody comes back to the carnival after the first night am I going to design next year's carnival with the same main attraction? Obviously not.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why would there be backlash?

Valve got a lot of flack for encouraging/not stopping gambling. If MSFT built a system solely with the intent of boosting sales via gambling, I can see people being pissed off about it.

Valve got a lot of flack for encouraging/not stopping gambling. If MSFT built a system solely with the intent of boosting sales via gambling, I can see people being pissed off about it.

Buying req packs is already gambling.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think I found the real reason why no one plays this game

scsTBdE.jpg

This shit is so anti-consumer. Especially as a console exclusive. On PC, I have steam installing and updating all day and I don't care. But I can not use my Xbox for anything else while this is going on and it's fucking loud. And where does this size even come from? Other games of this size either have tons of high res-assets (Doom, Battlefield) or are open-world games like Skyrim. H5 looks like a late 360 game and has barely any content, how can it be close to (edit:over)100 Gb? Just another nail in Halo's coffin.

/rant

• Upvote (+1) 8

I think I found the real reason why no one plays this game

False. 343 said H5 had the most monthly active players since H3. Can't fool me with your toxic posts.

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 4

Buying req packs is already gambling.

I mean yeah it is, but not on the same level as putting $500 skins on the winner of a pro game.

False. 343 said H5 had the most monthly active players since H3. Can't fool me with your toxic posts.

:kappa:

"best player retention" was the quote.  Keeping a higher percentage of players that bought the game is a lot easier when you sell half as many copies and are competing with Reach and 4.  Not exactly the stiffest of competition.

close to 100? My H5 is 109gb.

Mine is 97....  da fuq???

(not saying thats not outrageous, 97 is still outrageous)

• Upvote (+1) 4

So if I say "explosive based weaponry" will you think I mean weapons themselves that literally explode @@Boyo ?

Fucking tears yo lol  :laughing:

-----------------

I hope for Halo 6 343 implements some type of new compression format for their file system or make some of the content of their game optional. Because honestly, the campaign is by far the biggest waste of resources for me. I could've honestly did without the entire campaign being on my hard drive because I played it the night of launch, beat it that day, and never touched it again.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I mean yeah it is, but not on the same level as putting $500 skins on the winner of a pro game.

Ah. Ok. I see what you mean.

But this was just a black market that was built around the fact you can trade items with other users and how easy it is to create steam bots. Valve wasn't the one providing these shady af raffles.

If anyone is interested, Forgehub is holding a $1000 contest for best 1v1 map (and ya boy is judging so you know there will be good results) and afterwards they're holding a $1000 contest on the maps themselves. So, theres your heads up.

• Upvote (+1) 7

If anyone is interested, Forgehub is holding a $1000 contest for best 1v1 map (and ya boy is judging so you know there will be good results) and afterwards they're holding a $1000 contest on the maps themselves. So, theres your heads up.

It already exists... Octagon duh like hello?????

• Upvote (+1) 6

I think one important point is that at least half the items you get in REQ packs are absolutely useless unless you play WZ. They don't allow us to use weapon skins in Arena, unless it's a starting weapon. The REQ power weapons can only be used in WZ or later on Forge and Super Fiesta (ugh).

This is a point I'm making.

People who dont like warzone dont have a use for the game altering reqs. Thats a large portion of the req content that ISNT an incentive... these people arent playing warzone to get this items.

They, theoretically, could be playing Warzone simply because they want the cosmetic items, but why? there are more efficient ways of getting rp.

Beyond that, im advocating for the removal of cosmetics from the RNG system. There's no reason for it to be there.

It's also delusional to think 343 can deliver a good Campaign, Arena, BTB, Firefight, Forge and Warzone experience. They have shown time and time again that resource management is something they are god awful at. Yeah, you can blame it on 343 and say WZ has nothing to do with, theoretically you are right. But does that even matter in the final product? The more fat we trim and get 343 to focus on the core functionality again (hello garbage H5 servers and MM) the better.

Delusion has nothing to do with it. 343 hasnt delivered a good game yet. I'm the first to say that. I'm talking about what it takes to deliver a AAA game in todays market. Whether or not 343 has the capability is another matter. That's MS job to get the right people in place.

WZ might bring in cash, but so does selling more than 5 million games. Cutting Forge, 70% of the expected Halo gametypes, BTB and Firefight from launch ruined H5. Instead we get Breakout, a ******** squad-mechanic in Campaign, Warzone and hundreds of REQ items. And to this day we can't even aim properly and the sandbox will likely never be fixed at pace the these updates are coming and how insignificant they are. 343 is the perfect example of a dev that does not know how to handle resources.

I don't disagree at all... Im just saying that if warzone brings in cash AND making a game good enough to sell more than 5 mil also brings in cash, then doing both would make the most money.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fucking tears yo lol  :laughing:

-----------------

I hope for Halo 6 343 implements some type of new compression format for their file system or make some of the content of their game optional. Because honestly, the campaign is by far the biggest waste of resources for me. I could've honestly did without the entire campaign being on my hard drive because I played it the night of launch, beat it that day, and never touched it again.

You mean you don't like going back to relive the hunt?   :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1